United States
Madison Jaycees
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 54s
Overall Rank = 133/365
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

The day before my friend and I swam at the race site, and drove the bike course in her car.

Got up at 5:00 AM. Ate a Clif bar and 1/2. Left friend's house a little later then we should have. I was a little too laid back for this race. Didn't get to the race venue until after 6:00 AM. When it's open racking that is way too late for a 7:00 AM start. I had crappy location on the rack.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little, and brief swim right before wave went off.
Swim
  • 22m 31s
  • 1200 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

All season I've been using my Ironman Stealth suit, but today I used my Team in Training Orca suit. The last time I used this suit in race, I was miserable because I was a little heavy, and I was having trouble breathing. Since I've lost weight I figured I'd try the suit again in a race. I've been using it in our TNT open water workouts, and haven't had issues. Since I'm mentor I feel like I should be wearing the team "colors" in our TNT race in two weeks. Our chapter hosts the Westchester Triathlon. Today was a wetsuit rehearsal.

I probably started too close to front and center so I got caught up in the frenzy at the start, and started hyperventilating. I dropped it back a notch until I got my breathing under control. It was crowded wave, and never really felt like I got clear of people until about the mid-way point. That didn't last long, as I started catching the previous wave, and had to get around slow guys.

This was supposed to be a 1/2 mile swim, but then they said it was 1000 yards. Based on all my other race times this year, and being familar with my pace I think it was more like 1200 yards. All the swim times were signicantly slower then last year's. Even the top finishers had slow swim times. The fastest swim split was 14:04.
What would you do differently?:

Not start front and center.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

This was the transition from hell. The actual changes went smoothly, but finding my rack was a whole different story. I usually bring pink surveyor tape that I tie on the ends of my rack. I forgot to pack it. I found a good landmark to help me find my rack. However I ran in from the swim, and could not find my bike. I must have run around for about 30 seconds looking for my stupid spot. I felt like a moron.

Add surveyor tape to my checklist so that I'm sure to remember it.
Bike
  • 39m 45s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fun and very pretty course. I was actually glad we had driven the course yesterday. I had a better idea of what to expect. My start was a little sloppy. I think I was still aggravated from getting lost in transition. Once I got going I started my usual "fishing expedition" of catching cyclists. One guy riding a disk wheel went blowing by me like I was standing still, but for the most part I was the one passing. Since this is not a USAT sanctioned race it tends to be anything goes in terms of positioning. There were many pople riding out to the left. I tried to do my passing to the left, but sometimes it was easier to pass on the right.

At one point I see a guy up ahead who keeps looking back at me. It looked like he was trying to stay ahead of me. That made me more determined to catch him. Finally I caught him, and passed. In the mean time a woman is chasing me down. She finally catches up with me, and we do the usual sizing each other up. I try to get away again, and she chases me down again. We talked for a little bit, and commented on the fact that we don't get passed by many women on the bike. Based on her number I knew she was in one of the younger age groups. A couple of guys passed us near the end, but at this point I'm winding down for T2 by getting my feet out of my shoes.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Since we came into T2 from a different point, I got lost again. That was a combination of not knowing the entry point, and not having a good landmark to my rack. Once I found it, the change went okay.

See T1 comments.
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt heavier then usual. I think that's where I felt the 43 mile bike ride from Thursday. I tried pushing as hard as I could, but I was still getting passed a lot. With it being open racking I had no idea if I was leading in my age group or not. I watched the numbers of people around me. All the women who passed me had lower numbers. I got a little nervous when this one woman went blowing by me. At first I thought her number was near mine. I was going to try to check it out on the way back. The turn around is in parking lot, and there's a spot where you can't see who's coming back so I didn't get a chance to check out her number. I like the races where they put the age on the calf.

I need to get my legs moving faster. I shuffle too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for awhile before getting food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained through the race so probably my 43 mile bike ride on Thursday took a little bit away from leg speed.

Last updated: 2005-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:31 | 1200 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 181/365
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speed Suit
Course: Clockwise pentagon
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:45 | 13.5 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 82/365
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Loop with out and back at the beginning and end. Mostly flat with a few hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:45 | 03.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 249/365
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Madison Triathlon

2005-09-11 3:59 PM
in reply to: #244120

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Madison Triathlon
Great race as always Polly
2005-09-11 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Polly another awesome race!!

It is interesting to see a vetern gets mixed up in transtions too.

You are speedy on the bike...any tips to improve?

Your a great triathlete and super motivating to all of us.

2005-09-11 5:45 PM

Pro
Andover
Well done, Polly! And, thanks for backing up my "story" about the long swim.

Sorry I didn't know you were there, I would have introduced myself.

Cheers,
Rob
2005-09-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #244177

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
KathyG - 2005-09-11 5:13 PM

Polly another awesome race!!

It is interesting to see a vetern gets mixed up in transtions too.

You are speedy on the bike...any tips to improve?

Your a great triathlete and super motivating to all of us.

Thanks for the kind words.  In terms of improving on the bike; as Bear says "Ride lots".  Also ride with people better then you.  I do a lot of group riding where I draft on stronger riders, and I've found getting used to the higher speed sitting on someone's wheel gets my muscles used to it.  Also riding in a group teaches good bike handling skills.  Good bike handling skills makes you smoother on the bike which means less wasted energy.

2005-09-12 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Great race!  It looks like something I might try next year.

2005-09-12 8:45 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great tune up for World's!  Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Triathlon Rss Feed