General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 44s
Overall Rank = 58/
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to find that my parents had eaten all of my blueberry bagels...Headed to the race and hung out with some friends, almost forgot to get tatted up, and before I knew it it was race time.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water and 'warmed up' the suit.
Swim
  • 43m 9s
  • 2110 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very happy with the swim. I went out hard and was into a solid groove before the first buoy. I was able to draft a bit off some stronger swimmers, but I kept getting pulled up on them too much resulting in a few kicks in the face so I swam off them and got into my own open area. Other than that the swim was smooth, aside from the one punch to the face I took on a turn. And by punch I don't mean soft hit, it was a teeth rattling goggling tossing hit. I was pretty impressed by the Tyson like hit that was dished from a female Ager! I was almost exactly on target coming out of the water ~40 minutes, then the run up the hill happened. It was harder than I expected.
What would you do differently?:

I would do nothing differently, the swim went very well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

T1 was pretty much flawless. I was kind of disappointed by my time, but its a long race, so an extra minute in T1 wasn't going to kill me.

Calm, Collected, and fairly quick. I'm happy with this.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I was over 10 minutes faster than the next Ager. After T1 everything went downhill. My biking legs just weren't there today. My legs were heavy from the beginning to the end. I dropped my chain twice, and both happened on hills, and I was not shifting when they happened. My bike was also ghost shifting the ENTIRE time. Nothing like having mechanical problems on race day. I wanted to average at least 21.5MPH and on a good day I would have easily. I am very unhappy with this performance, and it doesn't display all of the hard work I had leading up to the race. On a good note, nutrition was spot on. It was pretty lonely out there on the second lap.

Mechanical issues slowed me down. Nothing I could do but cope and push through.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I went no socks in T2. I have been doing my runs without socks and all has been fine...but I've never gone over an hour without them...the few secons that I saved in T2 added about 40 minutes to my run...

TAKE THE TIME TO PUT SOCKS ON
Run
  • 2h 31m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was first in my AG until the run. I completed the first lap in 58:33, which was exactly a 9 minute mile pace. After the first lap my race started to crumble. THis is when the no socks decision came into play. I started hearing the scraping of my feet sliding through my shoes. The second lap was literally the the most painful 90 minutes of my life. All of the sweat running down into my shoes caused some major issues. I ended up taking my shoes off for a bit and walking...this is when I found out just how bad of shape that my feet were in. Toes bleeding, bottom of my feet bleeding, and my heels were bleeding. After seeing all of the blood and how blood stained my shoes were I got even more siked out. It was so hard and painful putting my shoes back on and continuing on. THe run was miserable.

Wear socks. My legs and heart coud have carried me through the run course 30 minutes faster, that is something that I am absolutely sure off. I now understand what people mean when they refer to their pain cave.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I finished I ripped my shoes off and tossed them aside. THe girl handing out metals freaked out when she saw all the blood. I thought that was kind of funny. (I was in a weird la-la state of mind)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My stupidity in T2

Event comments:

Even though I had an awful race, I'm still pretty proud that I finished a 70.3 in my first year of triathlons. And I placed in my AG, with a time that was over 30 minutes slower than my projected time. Bigger and better things to come in the future, as well as better decision making. The course is a great course, and HFP is a solid company. I look forward to racing here next year.

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:09 | 2110 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Two lap circle swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:47:56 | 56 miles | 20.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:31:03 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 Lap out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon

2011-08-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3653884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
Way to power through it Matt. That run sounds brutal and YES SOCKS, I also learned the hard way last year that anything over 6 miles requires socks. It was also painfully hot out there! I did the mini and fell apart on the run, I can't imagine having had to do the half.  Still a solid performance even though it didn't meet your expectations. NICE 70.3 - now you need a magnet for the car cause it's all about the magnets. Great job.
2011-08-22 4:26 PM

Nice job powering through that. I dont think i could have, but im still very new. I aspire to  accomplish what you just did. Again nice job.
2011-08-22 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus
No socks?!?  Crazy college kids.  I look to complete a 70.3 next year sometime.  I need to get my swimming in line.
2011-08-22 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Matt. Nice job sticking it out when your feel gave you pain.
2011-08-23 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Yikes, rough run, but nice job on the swim and bike - especially considering the bike issues. You'll be back next year and kill it!

2011-08-25 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Good job!

Did you check your chain wear? - this is one of the reason why it shifts by itself.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed