Canada
Leading Edge Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 21s
Overall Rank = 33/246
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 10/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 5:15 and got out by 0600. Drove to UBC got lost. Figured out where I was in that place. Got parked and headed to transition after purchaseing my parking ticket. Got into transition and headed over to the packet pick up table. They gave me my bib that had my name on it, way cool! Also gave me a power bar. Then I headed back to the bike rack. Checked the air in my tires. Noticed that they were both @ 80 lbs. So i filled them up to 100. Then as I was filling up my rear tire, the valve snapped off. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. (insert explicit language here).
So, I had to change my tube prior to the race. I guess you could call that my warm up. Seen Jen and Dave when they walked by. Waved an went to get my Body marking.
Event warmup:

By the pool side doing jaw stretches. I was talking to the other BT'ers there. Waited in line to get into the pool.
Yelled at Laura when she got out of the pool. She is a hoot.
Swim
  • 14m 2s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim is slow. It is the worst of everything.
I was behind Jen in the pool and we were getting all kinds comments on our outfits. We matched, wow, you guys look great, did you plan this, you guys are cute! Now that was just a bit over the top for me. I do not like the cute coments. The start was freaking cold but the water was warm. Got kicked in the neck once passing someone, but overall it was a good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim better.
More time in the pool to get the stroke perfect.
Cry? Pray? to be faster!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was right behind Jen, probably looked like we trained together. It was funny. All I heard was good swim DAN! then looked over to see her! Screamed back you too.

Not much. It was a good transition.
Maybe wear booties over from the pool.
Bike
  • 35m 58s
  • 18.9 kms
  • 31.53 km/hr
Comments:

Freaking had a great time on the bike. I was trying to get Jen g to draft but since she is an official she chickened out on it huge!
But there was soooo much drafting going on I can not believe she wouldn't.
I got up to 57.5k on the bike and got drafted by a few people and drafted a few. I had one lady drafting me and I her but dropped her on the last lap.
I passed tons of people and started feeling like a real biker. I passed people going up the hill. Seen Jen once on the bike.

Nothing, nothing at all. BIke faster. Draft more? not sure.
Oh, I love my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Great time on the bike. Bad transition area. Had to turn sharp and dismount so no way was I going to get out of my shoes.

Not much again. I liked my transition. I could have been a bit faster I guess. Heard the most heart warming thing in transition. GO DADDY, it was not for me but I thought of my kids.
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 5.2 kms
  • 04m 18s  min/km
Comments:

Nice course not too hilly and well marked. I hit the first k in 6 minutes plus and got pissed off at myself and picked it up. I could not believe I was running that slow. I freaking hauled ass the the last 4 k. I was passing people left and right. Now, I know what I have to do in order to get up to running speed. Get freaking pissed! I had an excelent run after that. I was breathing good and my turn over was phenominal. I ran one k under 4 mins and the rest around 4 per k. Damn first K killed me. Coming into the finish I heard people yelling my name! I was soo happy! Jen finished before me and was screaming with Dave and Heather.

Run faster off the bike. I had a chance to clock an under 20 min 5 k but blew it due to the poor first k.
Well, I live I learn!
Post race
Warm down:

Just did some easy stretching and talking.
Got some food. and drinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me, and thats it.

Event comments:

This race rocked. The best part was that I knew people there.
It was a great time. I wished we could have spent more time together but I had to work that night and needed to get home.
I met Dave and Heather and Laura and Leah and Scott. It was great.
Also my bike loved being oogled by people.
Thanks Jen for inviting me to this great event!

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:02 | 600 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/246
Performance: Average
This included the transition to the bike. It was a long run to transition.
Suit: Javelin Team
Course: 50m outdoor pool with 6 lanes. Serpentine style. Nice pool. 15 second interval starts
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:58 | 18.9 kms | 31.53 km/hr
This includes transition from bike to run. My bike comp says 33.7 k average on bike but thats for just the road part. Not including the transition.
Wind: None
Course: Up hill both ways.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:21 | 05.2 kms | 04m 18s  min/km
This was a straight run of 5.2 k according to the info on the flyer.
Course: Nice well marked course. That goes through some trails and back again. Nice loop. I really enjoyed it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Pacific Spirit Triathlon

2005-09-20 10:02 AM
in reply to: #249857

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-20 10:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-20 11:36 AM
in reply to: #250101

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Pacific Spirit Triathlon
Hey Dan,

Great race. That was a fun swim start. I ended up passing quite a few people on the swim. Most let me pass at the wall, but one girl I had to swim over. Next time I will seed myself faster and just keep up with the people in front. It's a great motivator to go faster. You should do that too.

Uhh, I think that my time is wrong. It's not the same that I recorded on my watch anyway. They got my swim time right with T1, but my bike time is too short and my run time is too long. I'm going to file a race report with the times that I recorded because I am pretty sure that they are accurate. And I'm surprised that they recorded that I beat you by 2 minutes. That can't be right either. I got in just before you. Less than a minute. I went through the finish line and turned around and you were there and I started 30 seconds ahead of you, so there is no way that I beat you by two minutes. In fact according to my watch, you beat me. The times that I recorded don't make a difference in the AG placing anyway.

Your run was fast. I think the kilometers on the run course were mismarked. I got to 1km at 6.5 minutes and then it was 9 minutes on my watch when I passed 2km. Something was definitely up there.

I did end up drafting as I got caught in a pack and I didn't want to drop back to let them pass, so while I was in that pack, I thought of you and how I should have stayed with you. I could see you the whole time on the bike though (except at the very end). You looked very cute in your Javelin uniform.

Yeah that race was a hoot. And the weather was better than I expected as we were standing there freezing on the pool deck. If you around Vancouver/Delta/Lower Mainland area sometime give me a call and we'll go for a ride or a swim. Sorry I don't think that I could keep up with you on a run.

Jen
2005-09-20 8:54 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Pacific Spirit Triathlon
Jen, we should have drafted off of each other.
It would have been like we were on the same team.
Still you placed. I think they have to get timing chips.
It really is the only way to be accurate.
If I ever get down to vancouver area, I will bring my bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Spirit Triathlon Rss Feed