General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectator at First Triathlon: Observations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-19 10:45 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Spectator at First Triathlon: Observations
I volunteered at HFP Racing's Deer Creek Pineman on Sunday, September 19. This was my first opportunity to see a triathlon in person, and I was looking forward to answering a few questions. I don't think the views of an spectator are all that original here on BT, so I think I'll just post these in my blog, or maybe as a Tri Talk thread. Wherever you read these thoughts, please consider that they are just thoughts; I don't have an argument I want to make here, so nobody start getting too defensive.

I'm a pretty methodical person in most things, and I very much wanted to do some investigating and gather some evidence before sinking too much more time, energy and money into this sport. In ascending order of importance, my questions to be answered were: (1) Is it possible to train for and race a triathlon without spending an arm and a leg? (2) Is it possible for me to race a triathlon and have fun without embarrassing myself? And finally, (3) Do I really want to do this?

The Pineman

After contacting the race director by email to arrange for a volunteering assignment, I got up at 5AM Sunday to drive to the race, just south of Columbus, Ohio. The drive was fine until the last 30 miles, when all of the cars on the road were covered in a thick, white fog. Everyone slowed considerably. I was a bit lost; eventually I just decided that I'd follow a Jeep with a Cervelo on the back. Had to be a tri guy. The fog made me a bit late for the 7AM volunteers meeting, so I had to scramble a bit to get hooked up with the volunteer groups, a mixture of Boy Scouts and college students raising funds (HFP paid a small fee to the organizations in return). I think I was the only singleton volunteer; nobody quite knew what to do with me, so I just started to walk around and find work for myself.

I started off by bodymarking. Apologies to folks whom I made flinch because my hands were absolutely freezing. Now that I mention it, apologies to those whose bodymarkings I screwed up -- I think that my numbering style was too rounded, too cursive. In the future, I'll adopt a more angular, digital style for my bodymarking.

There was a lot of excitement in the bodymarking/chip pick up area. Lots of triathletes were asking me questions about the course and the race that I could not possibly answer, never having been at a triathlon before and not knowing a damn thing about this particular race. I talked to quite a few people while marking, met some elite athletes and a lot of age groupers. The highest age I wrote was 57, the lowest was 19. There was a lot in between.

The only disturbing thing that happened was that a triathlete was a bit unhappy when I said that I was going to write her race category on her right calf, as I was told to do with everyone. She was a first-time triathlete and an Athena racer, in the category that HFP calls "Built2XL" but marks on the race bib as XL1 or XL2 or XL3. She wasn't real happy to have extra large written on her body, and told me so. I said something about, "Yeah, you have XL written on you, but you have XL written on you in a _triathlon_." I said that it wasn't absolutely necessary, and after seeing the mistakes in bodymarking that some of the boy scouts were making, I thought it would be fine to write anything that she wanted. But she decided it was okay, and "XL" it was.

The first wave start was supposed to be 8:30, but the fog was still real thick by that point. They started to go into rolling 15 minute delays, at least three full delays (and possibly a fourth, I'd lost track at that point), eventually rearranging the swim buoys to form a course much closer and parallel to the beach. By that time, of course, the fog had burned off, making the changes moot.

The volunteers were actually kindof grateful for the delays, though, because we could not for the life of us figure out the traffic pattern for the race. We didn't have a map, and there didn't actually seem to be a map on paper or anything else. The race director sketched out the traffic flow a couple of times, and we finally figured it out; the real problem was that ALL the traffic into and out of the parking and transition areas would have to funnel through a single, two lane entry/exit. So swimmers would come up from the beach, through T1, hop on their bikes, accelerate about 100 meters, turn 180 down another lane of the parking lot, accelerate about 100 meters, make another 180 turn, and accelerate another 100 meters straight through the previous point where they had flipped the first 180 and then out onto the course. Returning bikers would shoot straight through that previous choke point, either peeling off to T2 if they were only doing the short length, or again turning around 180 to head out again for lap 2. Now here's where it gets interesting: runners would now be heading out onto the course through the same choke point as returning bikers, outbound bikers, and eventually returning runners. At one point in time we had outbound vehicles filled with completed elite short-distance triathletes, incoming cars (and an RV) filled with lost tourists looking for the beach, ambulances, motorcycles, outbound and inbound runners, elite cyclists inbound at high speed, struggling bicyclists outbound at slow speed, a couple of elderly bicyclists just trying to find a place to bike, dogs, mopeds, park rangers in golf carts and guys with jog strollers. It was a zoo. I'm happy that no one was injured, and it seemed to go just fine, but I hope that not all races have that kind of traffic malfunction. It was just too dangerous of an intersection, and I spent the next five hours waving an orange flag and yelling, trying to keep people moving in the right direction.

Question 1: Is it possible to be a frugal Triathlete?
Answer: Yes and no. There was every kind, quality, and price point for equipment on display in the transition area. There were guys in swimsuits riding mountainbikes, and guys in Desoto wetsuits riding Felts and Cervelos and Lightspeeds and Quintana Roos and Fuji and Cannondales and god knows what else. I saw plenty of entry level road bikes, with and without clip-on aero bars. I also saw Hed wheels and zips and aero-disc wheels and Huffys and Raleighs and one bike that I swear was on set for the filming of "Breaking Away".
In summary, I'm thinking that I could prepare for and race triathlons with a minimax outlay of $1000 (minimizing cost while maximizing the utlity and quality of new equipment, including entry-level road bike, pedals and shoes, wetsuit, jammers, food fuel and accessories. Yes I know you could do it for cheaper with all used equipment and ebay and your mom's old bike, but just go with me here.)

Question 2: Is it possible for me to race a triathlon and have fun without embarrassing myself?
Answer: Mostly yes. There seemed to be an unusual number of happy faces on the racers -- except for the elites, who were deadly serious. I'm pretty fit right now, and I've been running and swimming and biking for a bit now, so I think that I could be FOBOP or BOMOP fairly quickly if I can work on my swimming and get used to bricks. So I would most likely be happy with my ability to do a sprint distance tri immediately, extending to oly distance within a season or two.
The only "partly no" answer comes from the number of DNF folks coming through the choke point where I was directing traffic. The Athena racer I mentioned before came through pretty late in the afternoon, walking next to her bike, which had a few busted spokes on the rear wheel. She was pretty unhappy and upset; she'd been walking her bike for quite some time, since no one was really out there on the course -- and apparently those who were out there weren't stopping to help her. I wanted to help her, wanted to encourage her to walk her bike in and run the rest of the course, but I didn't really do it. I wanted to tell her that I was too scared to be out there on this course; though I'm a (relatively) young man and pretty damn fit, I was too cautious to sign up for this race -- but she had the courage not only to sign up as an Athena, but to sign up for the "Half" Pineman distance -- a half ironman, 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run. But I didn't say any of this, and I regret it.

Question 3 Do I really want to do this?
Answer: Yes, with caveats. I think that seeing this triathlon helped me to understand what my goals are in triathlons. I'm not training to race; I'm racing to train. In other words, I don't want to win races; I want to have the dedication, drive, and interest to train nearly every day of my life. I want to have a varied, regular workout routine. I want to want to work out, and having a different thing to do -- running, swimming, biking, strength training -- is the best possible way to have that. Having a race to train for is good in that it gives me that extra little reason to get out of bed and run. That's enough for me.
So I want to rein in any excessive competitiveness, or the desire to buy stunningly expensive pieces of gear just to shave a few seconds. I'm going to need to remind myself to have fun on race day, and to choose races that have a place for me.

But given those caveats, I'm in. Let's tri.

2005-09-19 11:03 PM
in reply to: #249891

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Spectator at First Triathlon: Observations
Thanks for sharing your observations... I think you have a real good grasp of what is really important. The first couple of sprints I did were on a $250 mountain bike. As your level of training improves, then you may find it important to improve the quality of your bike. I've been at this sport for a little over 3 years, and I would not trade those three years for anything.So, with respect to your questions, 1) Yes, you can train and race without breaking the bank. 2) Yes, you can race without embarrasing yourself. I have never seen any racer looked down upon because they were slow. Actually, the opposite is true - the slowest racers get the loudest support. 3) Only you can answer this - but if you have the interest, why not give it a shot?Good luck, let us know which race you sign up for!!!Dennis
2005-09-20 12:37 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Haha, the only Raleigh there was mine!!

I was a little miffed at the weird turn arounds on the bike and the cut across the grass to start the run (the sharp left out of T2 at which I attempted to steal some poor volunteer's water bottle thinking he was offering it to me...woops). A couple of those turn arounds were really sharp and you had to be well cleared of anyone else or you were going down...I uncliped out of my bike just to be sure.
2005-09-20 5:30 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
300 posts and you're only just getting around to WATCHING your first race? Still just THINKING about training for a triathlon? What's taking you so long? 

Edited by the bear 2005-09-20 5:37 AM
2005-09-20 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
I also volunteered for one before doing one, with less introspection and analysis, but I did so nonetheless. It helped IMMENSELY for the pre-race jitters. The best thing I learned was that the tri-suit I had just received in the mail was also the tri-suit all of the worst finishers were wearing (was there a sale for beginners or something?) So I returned it and bought something less flashy, more comfortable and more "tri-professional". Just do it, why don't you?
2005-09-20 7:57 AM

You be thinkin too much.

You've got a bathing suit, a bike and running shoes. What are you waiting for? Go for it!

2005-09-20 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
I'm all for the racing to train, that's what I've done. I have my first sprint on Oct. 16th and "the fear" is really helping me get out of bed. BTW, I'll be riding a mountain bike with toe cages (I guess that's what they call them) and sneakers after swimming in jammers (too fat for the speedo). My total outlay has been about $200 for actual running shoes, a shirt and shorts that fit me and a helmet so I'm legal. Of course, I'm just there to finish, not to win. Someone posted a really good editorial on the forums about struggling and having the guts to enter:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I keep a copy in my wallet for when I'm thinking about just vegging out on the couch.

So I would say the answers to your questions are : yes, yes, and yes! Go out and have a blast!
2005-09-20 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Hey Phoenix,

I wasn't there, but just acquired a Raleigh road bike.

2005-09-20 8:52 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
newbiedoo - 2005-09-20 8:57 AM

You be thinkin too much.

southernaquagoddess - 2005-09-20 7:01 AM

I also volunteered for one before doing one, with less introspection and analysis, but I did so nonetheless.

the bear - 2005-09-20 6:30 AM

300 posts and you're only just getting around to WATCHING your first race? Still just THINKING about training for a triathlon? What's taking you so long?

For all of you folks observing that I'm too introspective, analytical, cerebral, methodical and just all-around anal, you are absolutely correct. Of course I'm too introspective, it's what I'm paid (poorly) to do. Heck, I just spent seven and a half years on a single research project, and I'm in the process of choosing another project that will most likely take a decade to complete. I'm too analytical about EVERYTHING. I don't take a poop without an idea of how my tactical decisions fit into my overall strategic plan.

Still, The Bear Hath Spoken. Let there be tri.

phoenixazul - 2005-09-20 1:37 AM

Haha, the only Raleigh there was mine!!

Huh, I could have sworn I saw a couple. I know there were several Huffys, and like twenty Trek 1000's. I was paying special attention to the entry-level stuff.

I was a little miffed at the weird turn arounds on the bike and the cut across the grass to start the run (the sharp left out of T2 at which I attempted to steal some poor volunteer's water bottle thinking he was offering it to me...woops). A couple of those turn arounds were really sharp and you had to be well cleared of anyone else or you were going down...I uncliped out of my bike just to be sure.

Yeah, that was craziness. The story i got was that USAT wouldn't allow them to have the bikes cross a lane of traffic, so they sent the bikes on two 180s to get them lined up for the course. I'm not accusing HFP racing of not being organized, I actually thought it was a very organized race, although I don't have a lot to compare it against. But that one choke point was just wacky. I'm so glad that there wasn't an accident there, either on the 180 (though a couple of people skidded around the corner) or through the choke point (though a few speedy bikes had to jam on the brakes when there was that big RV in the way). I just don't think there was much else that HFP could do, short of blocking off all vehicular traffic from the parking lot after a certain point, and I don't know if the park would let them do that. It was the only way in or out for bikes, runners and cars alike.

The sharp 90 degree turn out of T2 on the run was a bit weird, too. I think the turn was okay, but the fact that it went over two concrete barriers and then through a grassy ditch was just wacky. Are all races like this, constrained by the limitations of their physical surroundings?
2005-09-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: #250010

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
McFuzz - 2005-09-20 9:21 AM

Hey Phoenix,

I wasn't there, but just acquired a Raleigh road bike.

I don't care what other people say, I love my Raleigh. I'd take it over a Trek any day. It's a great entry level road bike (I got the Grand Sport) that I've upgraded with bits here and there. Shimano components (all of them) for 500 bucks is OK in my book. There were a ton of people out there on Softride bikes and all these super speedie bikes...I felt like the only dork without tri bars (note: get LBS to take off top breaks and put on tri bars) but I still placed MOP on the bike 89/127 and 2nd in my AG on the bike.

The race photographer got a great shot of me shoving a gel down my bra, and then deciding against that, and reaching back down my bra to shove it up my pants leg...let's face it, the exit from T2 was calamity for me.
2005-09-20 10:36 AM
in reply to: #250042

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
So if you're professionally analytical, then knee-jerk, dive-right-in tris could be the perfect complement in your non-work life, right?

I dunno--I've got a swimsuit and goggles, a pair of shoes, a bike and a helmet. I've taken the stuff people on this site say about working on the engine first seriously so with luck, on Saturday my raggedy self will pass some people with serious gear but lightweight engines.

2005-09-20 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

*laugh*  Thank you!  I'm also professionally analytical and went for the "dive right in"
 approach.  I feel better reading your account!

Seriously, you've seen it, now do it. 

2005-09-20 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
good observations,  Now get out there and TRI!!
2005-09-20 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

DUDE!! Where were you? I obviously had my name on my bib, but how was I supposed to recognize YOU? Did you mark me? Is this your handiwork?

HFP did the bike turnaround thing at the Buck Creek race too - me thinks it's a standard deal with them to count laps and separate the runers from the bikers.

(number.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
number.JPG (40KB - 54 downloads)
2005-09-20 8:24 PM
in reply to: #250518

User image

Master
La Crosse
Sorry, Marina; I didn't think I would be spending the whole time working, and I might have had time to meet up with other follks.

That may or may not be my bodymarking handiwork. I had on a white t-shirt and green baseball cap and was one of the few bodymarkers who was not a Boy Scout or a Scoutmaster.

I was the guy standing in the middle of the choke point intersection waving an orange flag like a madman and shouting at the top of my lungs: "BIKES! SHARP TURN! 180! 180!" and then later on in the day, "BIKES IN HERE! BIKES STRAIGHT AHEAD!" Craziness.

Lets see if I can attach some images here . . . should be able to see T1/T2 with the fog lifting, and then the crazy intersection with a biker approaching.

Edited by stupidnickname 2005-09-20 8:31 PM

(IMG_0235.jpg)

(IMG_0236.jpg)

(IMG_0237.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0235.jpg (43KB - 59 downloads)
IMG_0236.jpg (38KB - 68 downloads)
IMG_0237.jpg (39KB - 53 downloads)
2005-09-21 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Hmmm...were you the guy that picked up my Cliff Shot that fell off my bike at the crazy intersection?  I remember someone waving a flag at that intersection as we were driving out of the parking lot, although my brais was still sort of fuzzy from teh race.

2005-09-21 7:35 AM
in reply to: #250726

User image

Master
La Crosse
marina - 2005-09-21 7:02 AM

Hmmm...were you the guy that picked up my Cliff Shot that fell off my bike at the crazy intersection? 

Clif Shot Sonic Strawberry with Caffeine? Yeah, that was me. I still have it. Want it back?

It may or may not have been me waving the flag as you were leaving for the day; I only stayed until around 2PM, and someone else probably manned the flag after that point.

2005-09-21 8:22 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
I understand where you're coming from, and then some.

My wife and I both did our first tris last year. Budget was a must as we weren't sure how much we would like it. We found some cheap tri shorts online for 30 bucks (Titan Wear), bought some closeout moisture wicking shirts for 7 bucks, and bought 60 dollar mountain bikes at Target. We already had some really good running shoes since we were 5 and 10Kers before we decided to do tris. Add a few bike computers, helmets, pumps, etc. and we were out about 300 bucks total for the both of us. Add in the shoes and it's closer to 500.

We got through our first sprint tri after about 4 months of training and finished near the bottom of our age groups....but we finished. Times weren't the greatest, but the feeling of accomplishment was. The next day we had new road bikes on layaway from our LBS. Still went lower end (2004 Fuji Finest) but got a good deal at 400 each.

The bottom line is if you really are just worried about finishing a race for the least amount of money, you can do it pretty cheap. You won't go very fast on the bike, but you can get through it. Since that first race, I've been hooked. Now we're talking about moving up to HIM and IM in the next few years. Another big investment there bike-wise, but it's worth it.

Go for it. Crossing the finish line will make the $ and training all worth it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spectator at First Triathlon: Observations Rss Feed