General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I Intentionally DNF a HIM ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-27 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Should I Intentionally DNF a HIM ??

Hey BTers.  Quick question.  There is a half iron race coming up in a few weeks (Iron Star in Conroe, Tx) that I have been thinking about entering.  It would be my last race of this year.  I am almost positive I could not finish the run, at least without walking a significant portion of it, without risking injury.  However, I would really like to get the experience of the distances in the swim and bike courses.  

I have emailed the race director regarding this issue, and told him my dilemma, as well as the fact that if they plan to be full, I do not want to take a spot from an athlete who is there to compete.  But, assuming they have plenty of space, do you think it would be stupid to go and do the race, knowing that DNF on the run is very likely?

Of course, if I feel great on race day, I would certainly try to do the whole thing, but I have not trained for a 1/2 IM, and I am not going to injure myself and ruin the off-season just to prove a point.  However, I do see some value in experiencing the swim, T1, and bike portions of this distance.

2005-09-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #254710

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Should I Intentionally DNF a HIM ??

I say do it and walk the whole way if you have to. I walked at least half of my second half-iron, if not more. The "run" was just a slow shuffle. If you're still feeling that bad, then drop out.

Good luck.

2005-09-27 3:24 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Find someone to do the run and enter as a relay team. I'm sure you can find a Houston BTer to run a half mary.

Edited by the bear 2005-09-27 3:25 PM
2005-09-27 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Go and do the swim and the bike as a long training day and when you get to the run if you feel good finish if not then bag it in and go have a beer and burrito. No shame in not finishing if you are not ready.
2005-09-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: #254722

User image

Queen BTich

Rocket Man - 2005-09-27 4:25 PM Go and do the swim and the bike as a long training day and when you get to the run if you feel good finish if not then bag it in and go have a beer and burrito. No shame in not finishing if you are not ready.

Yes....good idea. You might be really ready to quit, but you might suprise yourself if you walk a couple miles and loosen your legs after the bike.

2005-09-27 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Hmmmmm....the relay idea isn't bad.  Although I'd be pissed if I did that and then felt good enough on race day to actually run the 13.1.  But it isn't likely.  Hey, Aaron...Andrew is going to be there right??  You think he might want to run a half mary?  My little wheels are turning in my head.

2005-09-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: #254730

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I expect to see you at the start line now.
2005-09-27 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
I just did my first HIM in 7:15 with too little training (I had some longer distances than you but not as many monthly hours). I hadn't biked that far for almost a decade, and I had never run that far, not to mention doing both after swimming over a mile. I also had no training sessions over about 3.5 hrs.

Looking at your logs, the swim shouldn't be much of an issue. I kept my HR down (at 140, YMMV) on the bike and felt amazingly fresh on the run. Make sure your hydration/nutrition is all planned out ahead of time -- it will help a LOT. My lack of longer sessions meant I didn't have enough experience with my hydration/nutrition needs and how to identify those issues. There was a thread by TH3_FRB a couple weeks ago about his strategy that was very helpful.

If you feel yourself getting injured, stop. If this race wasn't planned, it's not worth it.

Go out to have fun, don't push yourself too hard, enjoy a long workout with a supported course. Remember a HIM is a different ballgame than a Sprint or an Oly (in my experience). If you finish the bike ride in decent shape (it will be tougher than you think), my guess is that you'll be able to run at least half of the run. If you can keep going, great. If not, just walk it in. It will definitely help to have people cheering for you and aid stations and all that. You might just surprise yourself.

Mike
2005-09-27 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Trust me Dennis...there is a better than average chance that you will.  However, at that time, my longest run EVER will have been 8 miles.  So unless I do the relay option, DNF is a likelihood.  Still could be a great motivator entering the offseason and my training for IMCDA.  But $150 entry fee plus travel/hotel may be a bit much for a long training day.
2005-09-27 3:44 PM

User image

Queen BTich
I did my first half after only having my bike for 2 months. I was proud of my 6:31 finish, I was so happy that I made it through the bike. I was prepared to walk most, or all, of the run (same situation as you) however, I totally suprised myself, had a GREAT race and RAN the whole 13.1 miles. Give it a try, like I always say, you can't drown on the run.
2005-09-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: #254730

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-27 4:04 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

OK, I am certainly slow, but I shouldn't be THAT slow!! 

If you were going to run my relay, that would mean you would have to finish the entire HIM before I am off the bike.  If you do that, I will immediately jump off the nearest bridge in humiliation!

2005-09-27 4:08 PM
in reply to: #254773

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2005-09-27 4:08 PM
2005-09-27 4:17 PM

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I am usually the guy to warn against doing too much too soon and all that but with your cautious mindset and willingness to DNF or drop out if the going gets too tough I would not be that concerned. I think gutting these races out while unprepared at considerable harm to the body isn't wise but the way you approach it seems reasonable. I also much respect your point about not wanting to take the spot of a racer in case of a sell out.
2005-09-27 4:25 PM

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

No don't do it.  I think it is a bad idea.

Looking at your log you are planning of doing your first oly tri this weekend, a sprint tri the weekend after that, a duathlon two weeks after that, a half marathon 7 weeks after that, and another half marathon 4 weeks later.  I think that you might be able to squeeze a half-ironman in there somewhere but why would you want to.  Maybe you are different but everytime I try to just race easy I end up hammering hard, the race monster just takes over.  IM training is all about long term, consistent, injury-free training. 

This is not ment to discourage you.  I have been following your log and know that you could finish a 1/2 IM if you really wanted to.  It just seems to me that your schedule is a bit race-heavy.  Good luck on your race this weekend.  T

2005-09-27 4:26 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

T,

If it makes any difference in your opinion, the Half IM would replace the duathlon...they are on the same day.

Edited by OldAg92 2005-09-27 4:27 PM

2005-09-27 4:27 PM

Master
Chicago

Mmmm. I think I'm going to be Negative Nancy on this one. To me ANYONE who does a race to INTENTIONALLY DNF is a slacker and doesn't deserve a race director's time and consideration. OK that's a little harsh but you get my sentiment. We already get a bad rep as BTers for being weekend warriors, people who don't seriously train for triathlons just get out there to mess it up for the real athletes. I know that's not true but when I hear talk like this well, how can you blame the critics.

Why would you ever think that entering a race with the intention of not finishing is even remotely close to cool? Train on your own time, not on a RD's dime. If you want to get the swim and the bike's distances in then enter an aquathon or something. Enter a swim race or a bike race something you know you can finish. RD put in a lot of time and energy into their courses. Thank God they never get mad about slow people finishing (like me) and there are some who would do it just for the money who cares if you finish. But someone should care and that someone should be you. I just don't get it.

I guess I just think it's uncool to think that I trained for a year to FINISH my HIM and to know that there's someone else out there who did it on a whim with the intention of not finishing it and is wearing a t-shirt from it. It's just so uncool to me. Where's your passion for sport? I mean would you give a girl a ring, and then get to the altar and say well, maybe I don't. I just don't get it.

Help me understand. O.

2005-09-27 4:35 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

WHOA....down, girl!!! 

Seriously Ovetta, have you looked at my logs or followed my months of training and posts here?  This is not something done "on a whim."  My point on the DNF is that if it comes down to not finishing because of risk of  injury, I'm not too prideful to admit that.  This doesn't make me a slacker or a loser, or a weekend warrior who doesn't care enough to train seriously.  And it certainly isn't wasting an RD's time when I have raced in his other race, and when I have the courtesy to fully explain my situation to him well before entering to get his approval.

If you read my post, you would see that 1) I will only do this with the race director's approval, and 2) I will only do it if the event is not going to sell out, so I won't take anyone else's spot.

It is about challenging myself and getting at least the swim and bike distances in, in a race environment, to enter my offseason and training for my Ironman CDA race next year.

I appreciate what you do here, and of course you are entitled to your opinion.  But I can't imagine you would have typed all that if you had looked at my logs, my race list, and my goals.

No offense taken, we're all friends here.  But I am a little perplexed by your criticism and assumptions regarding my training, my motivation, and my worthiness to enter this race.

Edited by OldAg92 2005-09-27 4:38 PM

2005-09-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: #254786

Elite
San Diego

Brandt,
I tend to agree with T. I know you have the heart to do it and I understand what you want to accomplish, but I also think you would be better off doing a long training day instead. As far as getting in the transition practice, there is no race similar to an IM. Not even a half. If you decide to do it, I would understand why, I just think you dont need to. Come June, you will be the most prepared guy out there on the starting line. Don't worry. Enjoy this time between now and the end of December.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Tom

2005-09-27 4:56 PM

Master
Chicago

Oh, now I understand. I wasn't quite following you at first. It seemed like when you asked the original question that you said, "I'm almost positive I could not finish." I guess I just reacted to that statement. I just don't understand entering a race that you're almost positive you couldn't finish. I read your post so I know you e-mailed the race director and squared it with him. So you won't take anyone's spot and I know YOU'RE not a weekend warrior and I know you've been training seriously and not a slacker. (Should have edited that comment out, oh well).

That's why I was confused as to why you would enter a race with the intention of not finishing. I tend to agree with others that you probably could finish the race but that you have a lot on your plate.

Racing isn't just about how many you can enter but how many you can do well also plays a factor. So I guess I couldn't understand your rationale for entering a HIM when you knew you weren't prepared or ready to finish it. (which I doubt. If I can finish one anyone can).

Why not do aquathon or century/1/2 century bike rides that will get your time in? I'm still confused at the entering the race with the intention of not finishing.

My venom - and sorry if it was a bit much I'm a blunt girl and even more blunt online - comes from the fact that at my recent HIM people got off the bike and just went home. They didn't even attempt the run. I did and boy did I want to quit but I didn't cause I was so hell bent on finishing. I guess if I entered the race knowing I would quit on the run it would feel like I lost before the swim.Why enter a three-pronged event? Just do a dual one.

I just don't get that mentality. I guess I'm stuck on enter a race - finish a race. Can't finish don't enter. But each to his own. Whatever you do just don't over do it. Don't want to see you injured.

2005-09-27 4:59 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

As I said, O, no offense taken. 

You are entitled to your venom...just aim it somewhere else please...he he he! 

2005-09-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #254789

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

WHAT!  You're not going to do the Du and the 1/2IM in the same day, whimp. (just kidding)

I think that madcow said it better than I did.  I understand why you might want to do it, I just don't think it is nessisary. 

Last year around 2400 people signed up to do IMCDA but only 1800 made it to the starting line.  Why?  Maybe a case of to much to soon.  You don't always have to go big.  You just have to go often and not get hurt doing it.  Train smart.  T   

2005-09-27 5:16 PM

Elite Veteran
OldAg, if the RD doesn't care (and I seriously doubt s/he would), I'd recommend taking the aquabike route. As you know, I signed up for my first and only aquabike on a whim because I knew I could do the distances and I'm always looking for supported bike rides. I was already going to be at the race and I thought it would be a nice training day while waiting for my nephews to finish their HIMs.

Even though I went off course at mile two, I had a great time (as in fun, not as in fast), and the experience was a huge confidence boost. Huge. If I weren't having ankle problems, I might have even considered a run/walk finish. But I didn't even take running shoes to the race.

And the reason why I think the RD won't have a problem with you entering and essentially completing an aquabike is only based on my PrarieMan experience. That HIM (including aquabike) had less than 400 competitors. Does the Iron Star usually have lots more? Sorry I haven't looked up last year's results, but I think an RD would much rather have a paying participant filling a slot if there is room. His or her costs are largely fixed at this point. You showing up and paying the entry fee helps his or her bottom line.

Anyway, I'm so happy I completed the aquabike. It really motivated me to work more on swimming faster and I was encouraged that even with my sightseeing, I wasn't dead last on the bike.

DO IT!

2005-09-27 6:28 PM

Elite Veteran
Brandt, I just checked the race web site. They are still taking entries, so go ahead and enter. The folks who consider this as their 'A' race would have signed up a long time ago.

I personally believe that if you enter a race and pay your fees, you're allowed to race it in any damn manner you want. But I don't consider a BTer to be a weekend warrior, and I wouldn't care if he or she were one. So freaking what.

I also think that you need to change the words you use to describe your plan. You are planning to do an aquabike which has the USAT's imprimatur, no? You are not planning to DNF a HIM. And FYI to those reading, I'm not aware of stand alone aquabikes; they are a subset of HIM race participants.

2005-09-27 6:36 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Just heard back from the race director.  Here is the text of his email:

"Sounds great to me!  You won't be taking another person's spot so don't
worry about that.  Good luck in your training and congrats on a great first
year in triathlon racing!!

Thanks,  Greg"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I Intentionally DNF a HIM ?? Rss Feed  

of 2