General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 60-90 minutes of exercise daily Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-21 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: 60-90 minutes of exercise daily

Thought I would ask if anyone has leads to printed material on the lastest weight loss/weight maintenance exercise recommendations?  I have been doing a little research lately because my husband has asked me to help him lose weight.  He has about 50-60 pounds to lose.  I, myself, lost weight last year, but compartively it wasn't alot (I went from 150 lbs to 127 lbs in 18 weeks and have been steady for the past 6 months.  My goal was actually 130lbs, but I have seemed to settle in at 127).

Anyway, last year was when the US government came out with the recommendations of 30 minutes of exercise daily for disease prevention, but if you wanted to lose weight, then 60 minutes/most days and if you are seriously overweight, some may need 90 mins/most days.  I have been surfing the net trying to find the study that was used for these recommendations, but I keep coming up blank.

I have found a few interesting things though.  This quote for example:

“It’s been documented that to keep off substantial weight, you have to do 60-90 minutes of exercise daily. I believe this is the price you have to pay for being obese,” Dr. Hill said. “Once you have gained and maintained a significant amount of weight, there are metabolic changes in your body that require you to do more exercise to keep weight off than perhaps you would have had to do, had you not gained it in the first place,” he explained. “It takes less exercise to prevent weight gain than to treat it once it’s been there.”    (From this site: http://nursing.advanceweb.com/common/editorial/editorial.aspx?CC=60867 )

And this web page is pretty interesting too.  Again recommending 60-90 minutes of exercise most days:  http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/4676_pnt

My personal experience has been that I really didn't start losing weight until I started exercising 60 minutes/6 days a week.  This along with a 1700 cal/day diet.

What I am wondering though, is that since my husband is much more overweight, the study cited suggests up to 90 minutes of exercise a day may be necessary for him.

Anyone have any clues as to where I might find the actual research paper that was done on this?Or any other comments?

Thanks,Diane

2006-01-21 10:28 PM
in reply to: #329125

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: 60-90 minutes of exercise daily
I have been on the same search! I was really distressed when I heard the recommendations, because my husband has over 100 pounds to lose, and I can barely get him to take a walk with me. I have searched through every online journal I can find, and I can't figure out how they came up with the 60/90 numbers, and, frankly, they seem a bit arbitrary to me.
2006-01-21 10:50 PM

I think these recommendation came from the USDA and were developed by a panel of nutrition and exercise experts. I'm in agreement with the recs that 30 min will not provide enough energy expenditure to produce significant weight loss. Now, don't get me wrong, going from no exericise to some (i.e. 30 min) has definite health benefits (BP, CHOL, etc..) but may be ineffective for weight loss. Unfortunately, in America we overestimate our energy expenditure through exercise and underestimate the calories we consume.

Based on body weight we only burn about 100 kcals when we walk a mile and there are 3500 kcals in a lb of fat. If you do the math its much easier to keep the food out of our mouths!
2006-01-22 5:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

I dont have any printed materials. All I can offer is some hearsay.
I was once told that your body only starts to burn fat after about an hour of exercise, prior to that your body is accessing the quick burn sugars it has stored.

2006-01-22 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
If you try to go from 0 exercise to 90 min/day, you WILL get hurt/sick/discouraged. Ramp up to this.  Frankly, I think this recommendation is discouraging rather than helpful. That is a HUGE chunk of time from someone's day and isn't necessary.

Use a program like fitday.com - assume a completely sedentary lifestyle - 0 exercise, sitting pretty much all day, etc. Look at the base calories. Now, to lose weight, you need to get a deficit. There are 2 ways to do that. Eat less and exercise more. Both help.

Go after this in baby steps.

Exercise: Start out walking 20-30 min/day. Get a pedometer for your husband. Have him baseline how many steps a day he's walking. Go for a goal of increasing it 10% a week until he gets to 10,000 steps (about 5 miles). THEN start ramping up on the elliptical, bike, etc in the gym. The increase in exercise will jump start his metabolism, help his body chemistry (insulin, cholestrol, etc) and generally make him feel better.

Diet: In addition, start looking at what he's eating, again use fitday to log EVERYTHING for a few days. Then start cutting back or making healthy substitutions. Aim for a deficit of 500-1000 cal/day. This will get you 1-2 pounds loss per week. Not huge, but healthy and sustainable.
2006-01-22 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Make sure you add some weight training in there too. Lots of studies have proven that you are more likely to lose the weight AND keep it off by building lean muscle mass.

For anyone's spouse who is not into the tris, but is trying to lose weight, I recommend the Body For Life program. I dropped 50 pounds on it in my pre-tri days and kept it off until I started doing tris (the two training and diet plans are at odds with each other). My husband lost 40 pounds and has kept it off for 4 years.

2006-01-22 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Just from my own personal experiences in trying to lose weight, you can still start at 30 minutes. When I first started I made some dietary changes (no more bad carbs for the most part) and only worked out 30 minutes everyday (but it was high impact, not walking). I was losing like 2 lbs a week. After a couple weeks I stepped it up to 60-90. Now I work out almost 2 hours everyday and am not losing weight, so it just depends what your body wants to do really. I was 45 lbs over my ideal weight when I started.
2006-01-22 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I find this interesting. I was 100 pounds overweight and started by changing what I ate. I lost 2-4 pounds a week to start and did no physical activity. When I added excercise some 4 months later my weight loss slowed. After a year of losing weight I started tri training and my weight loss stopped. Now I work out 6-10 hours a week and eat better and barely lose any weight.

I think that everyone needs to find out what works for them and it isn't the same for everyone.

2006-01-22 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
KathyG,

You are absolutely right. I've been on a relative plateau for over a year, but I know what is supposed to work. I also learned in the last few months that carbs of any kind are my enemy. Doesn't matter how many calories I eat, if I eat too many carbs, I either stop losing or gain weight. SO I'm working through this carefully.

My advice here was for someone just starting out. If it doesn't work, then obviously, one has to tweak the approach to figure out what works for them.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions for you, just keep experimenting until you find your right spot.
2006-01-22 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
I think I remember reading about this recommendation / study when I was first researching excersize.  The one thing I think I remember was that the report was really using the term excersize for what I think most people would call activity.  So they really aren't suggesting 90 min of cardio per day but physical activity.  But this is all from memory (6 months ago) so take it for what its worth.
2006-01-22 7:05 PM
in reply to: #329287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
Pulch - 2006-01-22 5:05 AM

I dont have any printed materials. All I can offer is some hearsay.
I was once told that your body only starts to burn fat after about an hour of exercise, prior to that your body is accessing the quick burn sugars it has stored.

According to Ken Mierke's book "Triathletes Guide to Run Training"

"the first 20 min of exercise the primary source of energy is carbohydrates.  After approx one hour of exercise at fat burning intensity the body secretes greater levels of cortisol.  This increases fat burning dramatically."

So you have to exercise at least 20+ min straight to start training muscles to burn fat and going much longer is expotentially better.

2006-01-25 5:46 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

I would like to add a few points that may be helpful. No I'm not a doctor,(although I have played one on TV and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express) but I have lost a considerable amount of weight and I'm currently losing even more in preparation for this season.

1. Get a checkup before doing anything. I feel like too many diet and exercise routines target younger and relatively healthy folks. I was a 50 y/o diabetic with high blood pressure and a list of maladies a mile long. Get a checkup and a stress test if possible.

2. Forget the fads. I've tried them all and they don't work. What you learned in elementary school was the truth. A diet low in fat, calories, and exercise will result in weight loss.

3. No one here has mentioned Resting Energy Expenditure, ie the calories it takes for your body to keep you alive and you will burn these even if you stayed in bed for 24 hours. REE is dependent ,for the most part, on you body weight. Ding,ding,ding, you guessed it. The more you weigh the faster you will lose those initial pounds. But if your not careful you'll level out before reaching your goal. As you get smaller the diet either has to get even more spartan or the exercise must increase. Cals in/ cals out. When I started my diet my REE was over 2400 cls/day. Now it's around 1500. Well If my diet or exercise strategy didn't change I'd never have lost another pound. 900 cals is a lot of miles or a lot of lettuce.

4. As for caloric intake there is only one rule for weight loss. The gozoutas must be more than the gozintas. An earlier writer was right when they stated that a lb of weight is 3500 cals. It's simple math.

5. Slow exercise gets the best calorie burn. By that I mean for the beginner, assuming a previous sedentary lifestyle. Think of it this way. Slow exercise allows the body time to reduce fat to energy and you lose fat, not lean body mass. The faster your heart rate the quicker your body begins to go after fuel so it begins to use blood sugar, liver glycogen, lean muscle breakdown,etc. That is not your goal. You want to be an athelete not a bone covered in fat. So what's slow exercise.Ahhah

6.The heart rate monitor becomes more important than all the diet books combined. Get on your workout clothes, your favorite excercise shoes and strap on your heart rate monitor. They are less than 50 bucks and they are the key to proper weight loss. After determining your Maximum Heart Rate (220- your age)(There's a huge thread on this but for our level this is all you need) Multiply that number by .65. 65% of MHR is prime fat burning territory. Walk, jog, cycle, treadmill, whatever just DO NOT go above this level.

7. As the weight comes down you must either increase the exercise or further reduce your caloric intake. If you lose a lot of weight you'l soon find yourself running, cycling, working out or whatever for 90-120 minutes a day. Now's the time to venture into one of the BT training regimens which will help with your aerobic/anerobic/, endurance, or strength needs. 

8. Never buy into the old "I've replaced fat with muscle so that's why my weight hasn't changed" thing. Muscle per mass weighs about 1-2% more than fat. If your weight loss has plateaued then try this. a. Seriously review your current REE, caloric intake, exercise, and WATER intake. If these are fine, and you must be honest with yourself, then you might want to:

Get off the diet for a week. Eat. Eat some more. Then eat some more. Trick your body a little. Then go back to the diet and exercise with a vengence.

Hope this helps. I've lost over 55 lbs, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, and doing triathlons.

BTW, hang in there and always, always support one another.

2006-01-25 7:51 AM
in reply to: #331206

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
gullahcracker - 2006-01-25 5:46 AM

8. Never buy into the old "I've replaced fat with muscle so that's why my weight hasn't changed" thing. Muscle per mass weighs about 1-2% more than fat.

Excellent post, gullahcracker! I want to add to this above, because it worries me when I see people stating "I've gained a lot of muscle this week".... Quite frankly, muscle mass takes a very long time to build up, and on a triathlon training plan, we simply don't do enough serious weight training to build it up that quickly. Check out this study here: http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/gain.htm. It compared men who ate a lot of calories vs. men who ate smaller amounts of calories (4338 vs. 2334 on average) and who participated in a pretty intense weight lifting regimine. Over 8 weeks, the men on 2334 calorie diet, which is closer to what most of us are on, only gained 2.4 pounds of muscle mass. Those of us who are heavy on cardio activities and do tri specific weight training once or twice a week may not even build up that much muscle in 6 months.

Also, another tip - toss out the scale. It helps prevent us from using crutches like "I've gained muscle" or "I'm retaining water". Instead, concentrate on a pair of jeans or piece of clothing that is a little tight. Try it on every week. This is a much better barometer for success than scale weight. And don't worry - you'll never become so bulked up with muscle mass that they won't fit by accident. People who gain that much muscle mass try to.
2006-01-25 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
"Revised Dietary Guidelines for Americans from the Health and Human Services and Agriculture departments, aimed at curbing the nation's growing weight problem, recommend adults do about 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity most days to prevent weight gain and 60 to 90 minutes of moderate daily activity for those trying to maintain weight loss."

from: http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2005-01-18-wlc-exercise-guid...
So I imagine if you want the original, you could go to the websites of USDA or Health & Human Services.

I wonder why these recommendations never include rest days? I certainly wouldn't do 90 min/day for 7 days in a row!

2006-01-25 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Well, "moderate" activity could involve things like walking to the store instead of driving, etc. They ought to clarify this though.
2006-01-25 12:07 PM

User image

Elite

I think the idea is to increase the duration as much as possible and decrease the intensity as much as you need because, just by slowing down, you can go a lot longer and burn more total calories.  If you can run 15 minutes, you can probabaly walk an hour easily.  Walking an hour would burn about double the calories of jogging for 15 minutes.  That is the equation at work behind the recommendation.  If you were the government, you could measure each individual's capacity to run/walk/bike/swim and then give them a personalized recommendation for their exercise or you could just assume most people would be better off with the one hour of brisk walking recommendation but aren't going to do anything you recommend anyway, ergo the 60-90 minute headline.  If you search for and read the entire government recommendation, (I haven't this time but I have in the past), there is usually some qualitative advice about how both intensity and duration affect the response but it is dumbed down to the point of being useless.

The truth is you need to exercise just a little bit below the amount you can recover from each day and your mileage may vary.

TW

2006-01-25 2:05 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

These studies are the kinds of things that really need to be studied and fully broken down into its parts to understand.  Unfortunately, it seems like most of society will simply see the catchy headline, "You must do 90 minutes a day to lose weight" and move on.  Not only is that ridiculous, it seems HORRIBLY discouraging to people who want to start.  I work out a lot, and I don't have time to work out 90 minutes a day.  The average person who wants to try to do something about their weight has enough obstacles and doesn't need this kind of thing to discourage them. 

Regardless of how true the information may be, I wish it was presented in a better way.  Something like, "Although beginners will benefit from any increase in physical activity and should not be expected to engage in this much activity due to the chance of injury or fatigue, studies have shown that significant weight loss is best achieved.....blah blah blah.....so on and so forth."

2006-01-25 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I believe that the recommendation came primarily from the National Weight Control Registry. This is a self-selected group of several thousand individuals who have lost weight and kept it off. The fact that the registry is self-selecting and self-reported makes the any figures taken from it highly questionable. The members claim that they do 90 minutes a day of exercise on average (how exercise is defined, and whether it is an arithmetic mean or median I do not know) to maintain. For instance, the members also claim that they eat an average of 1600 calories a day. I really doubt that.
2006-01-26 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA

I think I found the report in PDF st this link:

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/

The actual phrasing in the report is:

up to 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity per day may be needed to prevent weight gain, but as much as 60 to 90 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity per day is recommended to sustain weight loss for previously overweight people

Of course the press when leaves out the words "up to" and "as much as" when they reprt on the report

2006-01-26 10:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #329250

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by oneword 2006-01-26 10:11 AM

2006-01-27 9:54 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY

What Gullah and a few other folks have said: in order to lose weight you gotta consume fewer calories than you use. The problem is that exercise simply doesn't increase your caloric expenditure enough to make a huge difference, especially the level of exercise that a significanly overweight person would most likely engage in.

Exercise is great for improving and maintaining overall health, and it is useful for weight loss but you'll lose weight quicker, or at least slow down your weight gain, by giving up the daily bowl of ice cream than spending 30 minutes on a treadmill.

If your husband is at all of the geek persuasion, he may find the website below useful:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

2006-01-31 1:50 PM

Expert
Salisbury
Everything is very helpful to read. I'm trying to put everything together and understand it all but I want to make sure.

My 65% rate would be 120. If I exorcise for 45 minutes at a heart rate of 135 am I actually burning less fat than I would at 120? Or is the idea that I "could" go longer if I stayed at 120?

Am I working too hard?
2006-01-31 8:50 PM
in reply to: #335774

Edwardsville, Illinois 62025
Maybe this will help:

"Some authors have suggested that riding at slow speeds (<50% VO2 max) is preferred for a weight loss program as more of the Calories expended will be supplied from fat tissue storage at lower levels of exercise. Let's look at this argument in more detail. If you ride at 65% VO2max, your body's fat stores will provide about half of your Caloric needs and the other half will come from glycogen reserves. At 85% VO2max, the relative number of Calories supplied from fat fall to about one third of the total number expended with the balance again coming from glycogen reserves. However, if one looks at the absolute numbers, a fit cyclist riding 30 min at 65% VO2max will burn about 220 Calories (110 fat Calories, 110 Calories from carbohydrate or glycogen stores). The same cyclist, riding at 85% VO2max will burn an additional 100 Calories (total of 320 Calories over the 30 minutes), with 110 Calories still coming from fat and the balance of 220 coming from carbohydrates. So even though fat provides a smaller percentage of the total energy needs, the actual number of fat Calories burned during the 30 minutes of exercise remains unchanged."
2006-02-03 10:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
On top of exercise, on of the best things to do is just walk more often. I lost a lot of weight from healthier eating habits and exercise, but when I tried to reduce driving and walk more, the weight came off even faster. I wsn't power walking either, just leisurely walks with the wife, walking to classes, walking to the grocery store, etc...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 60-90 minutes of exercise daily Rss Feed  

of 2