General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 60-90 minutes of exercise daily Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-02-05 4:42 PM
in reply to: #329125

Subject: RE: 60-90 minutes of exercise daily
My wife and I are three weeks into a Weight Watchers program that centers around assigning points to foods and then keepin track of your points on a daily basis. It's really just a simpler way of counting calories, both taken in and burned. Everything I've read recently on the subject convinces me that, no matter what your metabolic history may be, if you start with today as a baseline, you will loose weight when you burn more caloris than you take in. Typically, for those of us that have yo-yo dieted over the years, we have reduced our metabilic rate to the point that we have to exercise if we are to reduce weight. I think that most people understand the simplicity of this principle, but just don't have the patience to see a plan through. In my case, I am 57, 40 lbs overweight, and only capable of exercising about 30-45 minutes daily. I am expecting my weight loss program to take over 9 months. My attitude is that any loss, even 1 lb per week, is better than staying where I am, or continuing to gain. The thought of completing a short triathlon sometime this year is a real motivating goal. My wife is not athletic, so she is going to simply walk her way to loosing the 20 lbs she wants to loose. Either way, it's important to have the right attitude. It took most of us a long time to get the eay we are, so we have to accept that it will take most of us a long time to get to our goal.

DE

2006-02-06 10:05 AM

Parrish, FL
Hello, all,

Long time lurker here

Please excuse the stupid question... but I see nothing specific about it in this thread nor in the articles linked in the original post....

Does this 60 to 90 minutes have to be done altogether or can it be 2 or 3 30 or 45 minute sessions throughout the day?

The reason I ask is that there is simply NO way for me to find 60... let alone 90... minutes in one sitting available for exercise. I can however find 3x 30 or MAYBE 2x 45 minute sessions.

I have been doing 45 minutes of cardio at lunch and it was very disheartening to hear that this may not be enough... I have about another 40 lbs to lose after having lost 32 lbs since Thanksgiving of 2005.

I figure I can fit in about 20 to 30 min on my Life Cycle before work, 45 min at the Y at lunch... and maybe another 30 min at home after work.

So... is that ok? Or am I more or less doomed since I can't find 60 to 90 minute blocks of time?

Thanks all.

Take care,
Lou
2006-02-07 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Nope, it doesn't have to be in one session! A bit here, a bit there... still uses calories.
Good job on losing 30+ lbs! Keep it up. Or going down, as the case may be.
2006-02-07 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Nope, it doesn't have to be in one session! A bit here, a bit there... still uses calories.
Good job on losing 30+ lbs! Keep it up. Or going down, as the case may be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 60-90 minutes of exercise daily Rss Feed  

of 2