General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I may be the world's worst swimmer... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: #333906

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: I may be the world's worst swimmer...
Like others have said, check out the Y. I used to teach adult swim classes and we had a wide variety -- from people who had never stuck their heads under the water to those who needed help smoothing out their strokes. It's amazing how having someone tell and show you what you're doing wrong/right will do for your swimming. Also, and this may sound crazy, but analyze your stroke outside the water. Stand in front of your bathroom mirror and watch your arms as you do the front crawl. That way if your left arm isn't coming out of the water, you can prep for it beforehand. Have fun!

2006-01-30 10:44 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
oneword - 2006-01-28 1:45 PM

I've read the total immersion site, but I really have a hard time believing that those drills are going to make someone who is a terrible swimmer to begin with any better.

They will. Believe me. I was a swim hater like you, resigned to a pathetic swim leg.
Now after just ONE TI lesson I am so filled with confidence and relaxed its unreal. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
It's made that much difference to me already.

Ian

2006-01-30 11:41 AM

coming from a swimming background and coaching for years, i cant relate to your problem but i used to see it everyday. if i could pinpoint almost everyones problem it was lack of technique or incorrect technique. so my advise would be to spend some money on the expensive coach! for encouragement i will say this: i guarantee after just on lesson/practice you will see improvement. most likely you are practicing the wrong technique and with something as repetitive as swimming it will have a large effect on your efficiency in the water. an experienced coach will be able to see this a mile away and can give you advise on what you are doing correctly or incorrectly. more encouragement: the more you practice with the correct technique, your time improvements will be drastic! your efficiency will improve to the point where you have increased stamina and can last longer in the water. to sum up, most weak swimmers all have the same problems with their stroke and can be easily solved with good coaching. like i said, even with just one practice you will see improvement. it is not the end of the world, you CAN improve easily. best of luck. pm me if you have any questions at all about your stroke and i can help you the best i can. cheers.
2006-01-30 11:53 AM

User image

Buttercup

There are 2 drills you can do to improve your lower body uhhh buoyancy/floatability. They are very similar in that they force you to work the same muscles.

While standing in the pool, grab the gutter of the pool with both hands. Extend your body behind you and kick. Keep your face in the water - the water line should be at/around your hairline. Kick. Keep kicking. When you need to breath, turn your face sideways and breathe, then turn your face back into the water. You should learn some control of your lower body by doing this exercise. Try doing it for 5 minutes, then another 5 minutes and so on.

Kick drills. Extend your board out in front of you so that your face is in the water and your arms are extended mostly straight out (slight bend in the elbows is ok). Kick. When you need to breathe, turn your face to the side just enough to draw in air then return your face into the water. Your body should feel like one straight plane - as if your feet were being driven by your core.

These exercises should help you get control of your body (and legs). If you are sinking, it's a good sign that you aren't driving yourself from your core.

Good luck. I know that once you 'get it', you're going to love swimming.

Edited by Renee 2006-01-30 11:54 AM
2006-01-30 12:35 PM
in reply to: #334810

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Renee - 2006-01-30 11:53 AM

(deleted) Keep your face in the water - the water line should be at/around your hairline. (more deleted)

As someone who is growing more "follicly challenged..." would that be the original hairline, the current hairline, or the expected hairline 5 years from now?

2006-01-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: #334844

User image

Buttercup

Funnypants.

Original hairline.

2006-01-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: #334810

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-30 2:27 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

A lot of this is repetitious of previous answers but here goes:

1.  I have always been able to do flip turns like I'm part fish but I don't because I don't think they are an essential part of tri swimming training.  Forget about them.  In a year or two you can take on that challeng if you want to.

2.  Your 1000m time is not that slow.  Lots of people here are slower.  So chill.

3.  I think you are being too concerned with your "sinking".  You need to learn to glide through the water.  I don't know if you've ever been water-skiing, but if you've ever seen a water ski pushed across the surface of the water you know how it glides.  That's what you need to learn.  So get some buoys or whatever you need to float so you're not freaking out about that, and practice your stroke that way.  Then gradually remove your "help".

4.  Have someone watch to see if you have runner's kick which is not uncommon among cyclists.  Your foot might be staying in an L shaped position to your leg rather than point as it should to help your propulsion.  That would contribute to your legs sinking.  Don't over point or you'll cramp.  As a cyclist, you're all too familiar with cramps, right?

5.  Go to the pool and just mess around.  Don't go to swim a specific distance or even to do laps.  Make your goal to discover a comfortable stroke and release yourself from the pressure of a certain time or distance.

6.  Hang loose, bro.

2006-01-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: #334984

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-30 8:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
oneword, for the past 2 years at a local tri I have posted a 25 min. time for a 750 meter swim so that makes me much worse than you. This past weekend I attended a Total Immersion clinic in Raleigh, NC. During the weekend my stroke count for 25 meters dropped from 21 in the first video to 11 in the last. I cannot tell you how much better I now understand what the heck is going on in the water. I have asked so many people so many questions about swimming the last 2 years it is not even funny. Now I realize all i had to do was bite the bullet and take a weekend to attend TI. I wish I had gone last year after buying the book and DVD but hey, life is always great hindsight. This past weekend tied it all together. Best of luck and from a believer you may want to give TI a chance.

Fred
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I may be the world's worst swimmer... Rss Feed  

of 2