General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motor City Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-02-20 9:34 AM

Rochester, MI
Subject: Motor City Triathlon
Has anyone done this one? I'm thinking of trying it this year (as my first tri).

2006-02-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: #349901

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon
This (I think) is the first year for this exact race...
2006-02-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #349954

Rochester, MI
ahh, well let me rephrase.

is anyone thinking about doing this? have you heard good thing?

thanks
2006-02-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #349960

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
I thought about doing it, but I am not going to leave my bike overnight is Detroit... "Guarded" area or not.
2006-02-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #355037

Rochester, MI
haha, no kidding. i saw that and thought, "remember to wake up extra early on the day of the race" i agree, no matter how guarded it is, i can't bring myself to leave it ther overnight
2006-02-27 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Transition areas: **READ THIS SEVERAL TIMES** This event will have two transition areas because the beach is over a mile from the finish line. BIKE CHECK IN will be from 1-8pm on Saturday. There will be several security guards in the transition area all day and night. This area will be secured NO ONE but registered athletes will be allowed in this area. Come on down Saturday, go for a quick loop around the island and check your bike in.

I read this as "you must check in your bike Saturday"... I would love to do the Motor City Tri, but I lived and worked in Detroit (near Belle Isle) and there is no way I would even leave a Huffy racked on Belle Isle, especially on a Saturday night, regardless of how many "security guards" are in the area...

2006-02-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: #356111

Rochester, MI
paragon - 2006-02-27 9:33 PM

**READ THIS SEVERAL TIMES**

must have missed the important part, well that kinda puts a damper on the whole idea

i'll email them and see how "guarded" the place will be, i'll post what i hear
2006-03-01 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Have you ever seen Belle Isle on a Saturday night?
2006-03-02 9:47 AM

Rochester, MI
no, whats belle isle like on a saturday night?

well, I emailed them and they reassured me (several times) that a good security crew is going to be out all night and that they do this all the time and it so routine that I have no reason to worry. so, i'm still kinda up in the air. how about this, post and tell me if you are going to be there, and if you have a nicer bike (which i'm sure you do) then i'll go and park next to you for extra saftey!!!
2006-03-02 7:10 PM
in reply to: #358815

User image

Master
Michigan

l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-02 10:47 AM no, whats belle isle like on a saturday night? well, I emailed them and they reassured me (several times) that a good security crew is going to be out all night and that they do this all the time and it so routine that I have no reason to worry. so, i'm still kinda up in the air. how about this, post and tell me if you are going to be there, and if you have a nicer bike (which i'm sure you do) then i'll go and park next to you for extra saftey!!!

Saturday night on Belle Isle, no comment. I live about 20min from Belle Isle and am planning on doing the tri. If you need a pit stop stop by my place. I live in Wyandotte.

2006-03-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: #358815

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-02 10:47 AM

well, I emailed them and they reassured me (several times) that a good security crew is going to be out all night and that they do this all the time and it so routine that I have no reason to worry. so, i'm still kinda up in the air. how about this, post and tell me if you are going to be there, and if you have a nicer bike (which i'm sure you do) then i'll go and park next to you for extra saftey!!!

If I do MotorCity, I'll be doing it on a Huffy... Belle Isle on Saturday night is Thug Central...

2006-03-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #361260

Rochester, MI
paragon - 2006-03-05 9:48 AM

l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-02 10:47 AM

If I do MotorCity, I'll be doing it on a Huffy... Belle Isle on Saturday night is Thug Central...

now i'm all worried.....
2006-03-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #361965

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-06 11:11 AM
l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-02 10:47 AM no, whats belle isle like on a saturday night? well, I emailed them and they reassured me (several times) that a good security crew is going to be out all night and that they do this all the time and it so routine that I have no reason to worry. so, i'm still kinda up in the air. how about this, post and tell me if you are going to be there, and if you have a nicer bike (which i'm sure you do) then i'll go and park next to you for extra saftey!!!
now i'm all worried.....

I'm more than worried.  I'm out.  That's just bananas.

2006-03-07 6:31 PM
in reply to: #362500

User image

Master
Michigan
rkreuser - 2006-03-06 6:08 PM

l0wnsl0 - 2006-03-06 11:11 AM
now i'm all worried.....

I'm more than worried.  I'm out.  That's just bananas.

Damn Oakland county pukes.

2006-03-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #355037

this is incredible.

just heard about the naysaying on this thread over at Slowtwitch where i normally post so this is a first time post for me here.

anyone...everyone...who is throwing negative ideas about transition security here has no clue. period. 3D and the city have this well in hand.

i'll be bringing my new ride this year and will have absolutely no second thoughts about leaving it in transition.

stop with the waaa stuff please.

focus on your training and be ready to go the distance.

train hard...race well.
Jim Mishler
www.jimmishler.com
2006-03-08 10:10 AM
in reply to: #363920

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Geesh Jim! Relax...forums are for commenting and voicing concerns Thanks for the input though!

Edited by kzoo_camp 2006-03-08 10:12 AM

2006-03-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: #363920

Veteran
Michigan

Jim Mishler - 2006-03-08 9:07 AM this is incredible. just heard about the naysaying on this thread over at Slowtwitch where i normally post so this is a first time post for me here. anyone...everyone...who is throwing negative ideas about transition security here has no clue. period. 3D and the city have this well in hand. i'll be bringing my new ride this year and will have absolutely no second thoughts about leaving it in transition. stop with the waaa stuff please. focus on your training and be ready to go the distance. train hard...race well. Jim Mishler www.jimmishler.com

With all due respect Jim, I think people have a legitimate right to discuss and question security for the event since it is the first year of the event and Belle Isle does have a reputation.  Popping in here to say people who are expressing concerns "have no clue" and to tell people to stop with the "waaa stuff"  is probably not the most productive way to allay fears.  Do you have any specific information on how security will be handled that could be helpful to people considering this race?

Personally, I am more concerned about the water quality.  Anyone have any information on that?

Edited by kimta 2006-03-08 10:17 AM
2006-03-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: #364098

Well...the reputation of 3D to secure a transition area is clean. The reputation of Detroit PD to assist in the security of multibizillions of dollars worth of high end yachts on Belle Isle has never been an issue. Similarly, the teams bringing Formula One machines and gear there has never been an issue. Asking a question when there is no basis for it to me qualifies for a little more harsh response when said questioner offers no basis up front other than odd conjecture.

A local group uses the exact same waterfront and course area for an organized swim every year. Water quality will not be an issue either, pending some sort of catastrophic event unforseen at this point. Compared to what people swam through doing the New York City tri, or another event closer to home on the west side of the state, and a couple others in the region, none of which need to be named...I'll take the Motor CIty Triathlon venue any day of the week.

I am pumped that we get an urban venue with a totally closed course.

Yes...I support 3D's events. Yes I turned the Seahorse over to 3D a few years back. However I enthusiastically support any event I see as being a positive addition to the sport.

If anyone wants to start trashing an event or venue....my position is they should then bring something tangible to the table up front.

Edited by Jim Mishler 2006-03-08 10:34 AM
2006-03-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: #364095

i am relaxed....

i do get a bit miffed about this "what if" kind of stuff. we can "what if" about everything to the point of being ridiculous...and this one falls into that arena...from where i view.

2006-03-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: #364124

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Jim Mishler - 2006-03-08 11:38 AM

i am relaxed....

i do get a bit miffed about this "what if" kind of stuff. we can "what if" about everything to the point of being ridiculous...and this one falls into that arena...from where i view.

I can understand your point, but like kimta said above...there is a good way to explain your point of view and there is a degrading-talking down way. Keep in mind that this site is beginnertriathlete.com and not everyone here has all of the information they need as many people are just starting. As a seasoned triathlete and race director, we could use you for constructive input rather than feeling like pre-schoolers who "have no clue".

-Amy Berg
Trikat newbie
2006-03-08 10:56 AM
in reply to: #364138

Thank You Amy.

I stand corrected.

2006-03-08 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
Jim I have lived downriver all my life. I always joke around about Detroit. I am looking forward to the 1st annual Motor City Tri as it will be my first one. My intent of joking was messing around with the Oakland county folks. See ya there!!!
2006-03-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: #364151

I understood that one fine.

I lived in the area for a couple years...back when I worked at WDEE with Deano Day, Tommy Dean, Dave Diles, and Frank Gentry. Whoa...now I've gone and dated myself :-)

Besides...anyone who is into fly fishing is okay by my book.
Weather allowing i'll be up on the White this Sunday stalking the steelies.
Gotta slam an indoor tri on Saturday first.
2006-03-08 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Big picture:  Closed course, awesome location, 3D organizing it (a good organization), builds the tri community, and continues with Detroit's renaissance...what's not to like?

However, just like any other thing I'd buy or event I'd attend, if there are legit safety or event considerations, I'd be shortchanging ourselves by not asking about 'em.  And because of the venue itself and the fact that it's a first-year event - for better or worse - the event will get more scrutiny than most others.  That's just how it is...

So, even though I'm STILL not running it, I'll volunteer to be on point to dig for the facts, and I'll coordinate sending an eMail to the RD to ensure we've got the information straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak).

Topics that I'm cueing up in the eMail are below - and they're all either based on my personal experience OR the experience of a friend that ran the last tri on Belle Isle, so in my mind, they're all legit; please add other questions that might be of interest to you and I'll consolidate and send...and post the response when I receive it.

- Swim course:  Is it inside the breakwall, or outside?  This makes a different as inside is fairly weedy, and outside there's a current to contend with. 

- Swim transition:  How is the footing into / out of the water?   Rocky?  Sandy?  And has the ground been policed for foreign objects?  I haven't personally had this issue, but a friend that ran a tri there maybe 10 years ago said that foreign objects in the entry / exit to a swim were an item to be looked into.

- Swim water quality:  Comment on the standards for water quality / testing.  There have been instances of beach closure due to water quality in Lake St. Clair.

- Bike course:  Comment on the condition of the roads.  Parts of Belle Isle have been repaved for the F1 event, and parts haven't.  What portion of the ride will be on roads that haven't  been repaved recently?

- Transition:  Comment on the security measures to protect bikes the night before, and wetsuits / bikes during.  And if there is a theft, who's responsibility is it?  3D?  The athlete?  This is a legit concern as the last tri on Belle Isle several people had their wetsuits swiped DURING the race (again, long ago...and I assume this will be taken care of, but it's worth confirming).

- Spectators:  Will spectators be allowed onto / off of the island during the event, or do they need to get on the island by a certain time and will be held until a certain time?  Same with athletes?  Will the bridge be closed any part of the time? (this is a situation that happens with the marathon).

2006-03-08 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I don't see a problem with people voicing concerns and asking questions about race venues. Holding a triathlon in downtown Detroit and swimming in the Detroit river obviously races some issues, and it is better to raise these issues and discuss them than to pretend they don't exist.

I'm not overly concerned about security and leaving my bike in the transition area. Yes, Bell Isle can be pretty rough, but if enough security is provided it should be fine. There is only one access route to the area, which should help. However, I am still concerned about water quality. Generally when people say the water is clean they mean that the coliform counts are low and that visibility is good. I don't equate that with clean. I have done the Windsor triathlon just across the river several times and the swim there is pretty disgusting. The area is just down river from a large petrochemical industry, and chemical spills from Sarnia are very common. The zebra mussel population is high here, and I have been cut badly in the Windsor tri. The beach where the Windsor tri is held is one of the sites that is monitored weekly for coliform counts, it often has the highest counts of all the sites monitored, and it is often closed in mid to late summer.

I'm not going to trash this event for fun, but I have concerns and I am going to do some more research before I decide if I will enter. I hope that the event is successful and safe.

Dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motor City Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 3