Richmond Sports Backers
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 15s
Overall Rank = 8901/20000
Age Group = ?
Age Group Rank = 615/?
Pre-race routine:

banana and muffins for breakfast. carpool with friends. get stuck in traffic. jog to start. meet up with more friends (yay). talk about goals. some goals from the group: beat spongebob squarepants. see people puke. run faster than a 13-min mile. (we did beat spongebob. he was at a disadvantage due to the wind. spongebob is not very aerodynamic.)
Run
  • 1h 10m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good. I kept with Steve & the guys the whole way. (Or, I should say, they kept with me, since they can all run faster.) Didn't feel any pain til mile five; then it got a little tough. Muscles did fine, lungs, not so great. It was easier mentally having company.

Richmond is a great town to run it. Lots of ppl out cheering us on. People with hoses spraying water you could run through. Lots of bands, playing worship music and classic rock.
What would you do differently?:

Train better. Drink more before the race. Would have been better with a hat. I didn't realize it would be sunny and hot. And I haven't been training in sunny and hot, either.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk very quickly to the port-o-potties, which were nasty. Downed a bottle of powerade and two bottles of water. Look for Richard in the crowd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my training being interrupted so many times! Still, I only missed my Nov. 8k pace by 45 seconds overall. My 8k pace was 11:13, vs. 11:20 for this race. So that gives me hope that if I do manage to train I can improve farther!

Event comments:

The event was won by Kenyans. Sarah N., eat your heart out.
Also, the Bush twins ran; they crossed the finish line together in under 55 minutes.

(I'm in the tie-dye in the photo. Green shirt is Steve. Jonathan in front.)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:15 | 06.21 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 615/?
Overall: 8901/20000
Performance: Average
mile 1: 10:34, mile 2: 11:06, mile 3: 11:39, mile 4: 11:37, mile 5: 11:43, mile 6: 11:22, the 0.2 m: 2:14
Course: Out and back Richmond's monument avenue, past all the big southern civil war heroes.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes