General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Incorporating strength training into triathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-11-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3899128

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Incorporating strength training into triathlon training
yoitsbeau - 2011-11-11 8:02 PM

Hi,

I am completely new to training for a triathlon. Today was my first actual day of training. I am curious how other people incorporate strength training into their triathlon training. Do you lift weights, do calistenics, or use bands and pulleys. Any other suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Beau

Honestly, I can't do BOTH. I just don't have the time.

Currently I am doing functional strength training with a trainer at a cross fit/boot camp gym. We do full body exercises with weights (at times). I'm always sore in new places.

I'm just working with him for 4 months, simply because I felt my strength had diminished over the years. Sure, I can ride a bike for 50 miles, but pick up a 25 pound suitcase and carry it up stairs- forget it.

Since I have been training with him my swim training is non existent. I just can't do it all. I'm still riding and running 3 days a week. But no swimming. I'm a strong swimmer though, so it won't take me long to get back to my old swim fitness when I do start again.

I think strength training is good... but it tends to be very hard to fit into a packed tri training plan.

2011-11-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3900048

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,

Good lord, Shane!  Who made you God today?  Your posts look like the only thing they are there to do is bag on the person who posted. Your negativity and trying to prove your right and all the rest of us are just stupid is boring. My point is if it works for any individual, do it.  If not, don't. Who gives a crap.  It works for me.  So I do it and enjoy what I'm doing.  And just maybe Skiba's trying to sell books?  Sound familiar?  Get off your soapbox and join the common folk now and again!  And now I think I'll hit the gym!

Coach

2011-11-15 11:32 AM

User image

Runner
Here's a great strength workout that everyone can agree on:

Run hill repeats.

Find a nice, fairly steep hill, and "bound" up the hill, springing from one leg to the next, then holding it for a second before springing forward again. Focus on smooth carriage of the body and arms, and a good strong push-off to propel you upward and forward. Once you get to the top, carry on past it with a short, harder effort, then turn around and jog back down to the bottom for recovery.

You can also do hill circuits, if you have a course with some decent ups and downs along it. I had one that was .6 miles, with a nice steep uphill followed by a longer, gradual downhill. Surge up the hills, focusing on pushing off with the toes and maintaining smooth, fluid form, pushing up and past the crest, then letting the legs go more freely on the downhill, focusing on faster turnover while still maintaining that smooth, fluid motion.

I couldn't tell you about lifting weights or any of that. I figure that it depends solely on my goals and interests. If my goals are to go out and enjoy myself, and I like lifting, chances are I'm going to lift. If my goals are to attempt to reach my maximum potential in a race, or if I don't like to lift weights, then I'm not going to lift.
2011-11-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3901308

User image

Master
Houston
TriMyBest - 2011-11-14 11:33 AM

Half the time I have no idea what you're talking about, Synthetic, but I'm like a moth to a flame.  I just can't stop reading your posts.  Smile

I'm quite worried that you have some idea what he is talking about the other half of the time.  You might want to talk with a shrink about that.

I give him credit for trying to make this into a cross fit thread though.

2011-11-15 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3902774

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Coach Gil - 2011-11-15 12:59 PM

Good lord, Shane!  Who made you God today?  Your posts look like the only thing they are there to do is bag on the person who posted.

My intent was not to bag on anyone's posts; I was simply trying to provide the best information that I have seen in terms of endurance training and in some cases, find out more about what the OP was thinking.

Your negativity and trying to prove your right and all the rest of us are just stupid is boring.

Again, not my intent; I was not trying to prove anyone wrong or make anyone appear to be stupid. I was simply trying to provide those who are reading with the most up to date information that I am aware of.

My point is if it works for any individual, do it.  If not, don't. Who gives a crap.  It works for me.  So I do it and enjoy what I'm doing.

I have said all along that there are plenty of good reasons to lift and if you enjoy it, then by all means keep doing it.

And just maybe Skiba's trying to sell books?  Sound familiar?

Maybe; but the information is solid and well researched.

Get off your soapbox and join the common folk now and again!  And now I think I'll hit the gym!

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I hope you enjoy the gym.

Shane
2011-11-15 2:56 PM

User image

Regular

My understanding is, unless strength training resembles the same movement patterns of said sport (running, swimming, bicycling), there are little to no benefits. The benefit maybe for someone is completely out of shape and any sort of stress would help.

I think strength training for triathlon would look something like this:

1) Cycling up hill with a big gear.

2) Paddles or a drag suit for swimming

3) Running with a weighted vest.

2011-11-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3903269

User image

New user

Los Angeles
What are your thoughts on, during winter, using a trainer vs. spinning classes?
2011-11-15 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

I'm going to write a book on strength training for triathlon...

Chapter 1

Should I strength train?

No............well, maybe..........depends.

The End.

2011-11-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3903284

User image

Regular
Again, from my understanding. If the position you're holding (hip angle and etc) on a trainer/spin class resembles what you're holding in a race. Go for it.
2011-11-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3903269

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
daharryone - 2011-11-15 3:56 PM

My understanding is, unless strength training resembles the same movement patterns of said sport (running, swimming, bicycling), there are little to no benefits. The benefit maybe for someone is completely out of shape and any sort of stress would help.

We've ran way off on tangents on this thread.  Maybe the OP will find this helpful.

The question becomes "What is the purpose of your ST?"

If it's to have a direct impact on your performance, then that's when the debate gets heated, with some people taking the position that traditional ST can enhance performance by strengthening the muscles used for s/b/r, and others (myself included) taking the position that the time would be better spent doing either more s/b/r or recovering from s/b/r training sessions if this is why you want to do ST.

If it's to compensate for deficiencies caused by the sport, then it's a little less controversial.  For example, s/b/r tends to neglect the hip abductors, hip adductors, shoulder rotator cuffs, and scapular retractors, and all three sports are performed primarily in the sagittal plane (front to back), neglecting movements in the frontal (side to side) and transverse (twisting) planes.  If other muscles become over developed, causing imbalances, ST for the neglected muscles and exercises in the frontal and transverse planes can be an effective way to correct those imbalances.  If I actually do ST (which is rare), it focuses on the neglected muscles.  Some of the exercises are bent over reverse flys, "Y"'s and "T"'s on an exercise ball, saxon bends, diagonal medicine ball wood chops, lateral lunges, hip adductions, hip abductions (machines, plate slides, or clams), external shoulder rotations, or cuban rotations.

Another time that ST can be valuable for triathletes is if they have tight hip flexors, which is common in people who have office jobs, and sit for long periods of time.  This can make it more difficult to maintain a good body position during swimming, because the spine has to extend to elevate the hips rather than the hip flexors doing it, resulting in back pain during swimming or simply an inability to keep the hips and legs from sinking.  I was also recently at a clinic where the speaker indicated that tight hip flexors can affect running ability, because you can't follow though as well, effectively limiting stride length.  Exercises that can help this are bridges and walking lunges.  For triathletes, I'd lean more toward bridges, because lunges fatigue the big lower body muscles more, which could affect their next bike or run training sessions.

The comment about any sort of stress benefiting someone completely out of shape is interesting.  There have been studies where sedentary people were put on a ST program without cardio training, and the results included improvements to VO2max.  Does this mean that ST without cardio is the best way to improve aerobic conditioning?  Of course not.  It just means that if someone is deconditioned enough, any stimulus will produce results.  If you took a group of conditioned triathletes, and put them on a ST program, eliminating all their s/b/r aerobic workouts, I suspect the results would show decreases in aerobic conditioning.

There are still plenty of other reasons to incorporate ST into your program, even if it's as simple as "because I like doing it."

2011-11-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3903325

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Fastyellow - 2011-11-15 4:28 PM

Chapter 1

Should I strength train?

The End.

It would be a best seller!

2011-11-15 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3903360

User image

New user

Los Angeles
TriMyBest - 2011-11-15 3:52 PM
daharryone - 2011-11-15 3:56 PM

We've ran way off on tangents on this thread.  Maybe the OP will find this helpful.

The question becomes "What is the purpose of your ST?"

If it's to have a direct impact on your performance, then that's when the debate gets heated, with some people taking the position that traditional ST can enhance performance by strengthening the muscles used for s/b/r, and others (myself included) taking the position that the time would be better spent doing either more s/b/r or recovering from s/b/r training sessions if this is why you want to do ST.

If it's to compensate for deficiencies caused by the sport, then it's a little less controversial.  For example, s/b/r tends to neglect the hip abductors, hip adductors, shoulder rotator cuffs, and scapular retractors, and all three sports are performed primarily in the sagittal plane (front to back), neglecting movements in the frontal (side to side) and transverse (twisting) planes.  If other muscles become over developed, causing imbalances, ST for the neglected muscles and exercises in the frontal and transverse planes can be an effective way to correct those imbalances.  If I actually do ST (which is rare), it focuses on the neglected muscles.  Some of the exercises are bent over reverse flys, "Y"'s and "T"'s on an exercise ball, saxon bends, diagonal medicine ball wood chops, lateral lunges, hip adductions, hip abductions (machines, plate slides, or clams), external shoulder rotations, or cuban rotations.

Another time that ST can be valuable for triathletes is if they have tight hip flexors, which is common in people who have office jobs, and sit for long periods of time.  This can make it more difficult to maintain a good body position during swimming, because the spine has to extend to elevate the hips rather than the hip flexors doing it, resulting in back pain during swimming or simply an inability to keep the hips and legs from sinking.  I was also recently at a clinic where the speaker indicated that tight hip flexors can affect running ability, because you can't follow though as well, effectively limiting stride length.  Exercises that can help this are bridges and walking lunges.  For triathletes, I'd lean more toward bridges, because lunges fatigue the big lower body muscles more, which could affect their next bike or run training sessions.

The comment about any sort of stress benefiting someone completely out of shape is interesting.  There have been studies where sedentary people were put on a ST program without cardio training, and the results included improvements to VO2max.  Does this mean that ST without cardio is the best way to improve aerobic conditioning?  Of course not.  It just means that if someone is deconditioned enough, any stimulus will produce results.  If you took a group of conditioned triathletes, and put them on a ST program, eliminating all their s/b/r aerobic workouts, I suspect the results would show decreases in aerobic conditioning.

There are still plenty of other reasons to incorporate ST into your program, even if it's as simple as "because I like doing it."

Good post!

2011-11-15 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3903360

I agree with your thought. From reading all the different opinions it seems that it really just has to be about what you are looking to get out of ST. For me, I have been out of the gym/excercising for the last 2-3 months and I think some ST at the end of workouts is going to benefit me.

Thanks,

Beau

2011-11-16 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3899983

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Coach Gil - 2011-11-13 12:18 AM

After reading through all these posts, and coming to the conclusion that there appears to be so much diverse information and quite honestly, some of which is just plain not correct, my advise to you is do your thing, whatever that is and whatever works for YOU and makes you happy, period!  After 30+ years in the fitness arena, this has been my first year of venturing into the wonderful world of multisport.  I finished 2 Oly's this year, the 2nd one faster then the first.  At 51 years of age, 5'-11" 165-167 with 6% body fat, I am in the best shape of my life and will continue to strength train 3+ time per week.  While I totally agree that if you want to SBR faster you need to SBR, strength training has many benefits and can be very beneficial to multi sport athletes.  I no longer train for size utilizing low reps with big weights and consuming the amount of protein required to gain size, instead opting for higher rep counts with moderate to low weights emphasizing those body parts helpful to triathlon.  Lats and triceps for the swim, hamstring, quads and calves for both run and bike.  I also train core/abs 3 or more times a week, I feel it is critical to all areas of triathlon.  Do a Google search on strength training for triathlon and you will find literally thousands of articles on the benefits this type of training can ad to your triathlon experience. A quote from Mark Allen, 6 time Ironman Champion, "All to many triathletes sacrifice strength training in favor of additional swim, bike and run sessions.  This is unwise.  In fact, a well executed strength training program can allow you to carve up to 25% out of your swim, bike and run volume while improving performance and enjoying better race day results".  From an article in Triathlete magazine.  Any yes, I have a family, a regular job and I continue to coach high school baseball as well.  So don't lay the "I don't have time to spend in the gym" crap out there.  If you want it badly enough, you make the time, period.  And trust me, at my age, going against these AG'ers that are so flippin fast, I do spend the time in recovery mode as well, with well placed days off for restoration of the body AND mind.  Bottom line, do what works for you.  It may take you years to figure it out, but the journey will be worth it.  As for me, I'll continue to swim, bike, run, hit the weights, play racquetball, ride my MTB, kayak in the lake, what ever the heck I want to do that makes me happy and keeps me fit enough to persue the podium!

X2.  Well said.  This was one of my first BT questions and I still love these when they get going.  I "try" to get in about 2 hrs of strength trng a week.  Consisting of plyometric type stuff....i.e. medicine ball, rope climb, monkey bars, dips, pushups, crunches, jumps etc.  I do a cycle or 3 of these and I'm done.  Usually after a short run. Who knows if it helps but it feels good to feel strong (helps confidence) and it breaks up the s/b/r monotony a bit.

2011-11-16 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3903371

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
TriMyBest - 2011-11-15 4:57 PM
Fastyellow - 2011-11-15 4:28 PM

Chapter 1

Should I strength train?

The End.

Thats funny

It would be a best seller!

2011-11-16 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
as some have suggested, ST is different for every individual athlete. Coming from a strength and fast twitch background (wrestling) into multisport it wasn't, and isn't, necessary for me to log endless hours on the weights. If we're talking about an individual with little to no athletic background, or someone coming from a run-only or bike-only background, I think a more aggressive approach to ST is necessary - particularl for HIM and IM distance racing. Strength will carry you through the longer distances as fatigue sets in. My opinion here, but once fatigue sets in you'd better have the physical strength to maintain your form or injury is coming. I personally lift free weights (mostly standing rather than sitting or laying down) during the early offseason months and then transition over to body weight exercises as the season approaches.

- Chad
http://multisporttalk.wordpress.com

2011-11-16 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3904698

User image

Champion
BellaDad - 2011-11-16 6:40 PM

particularl for HIM and IM distance racing. Strength will carry you through the longer distances as fatigue sets in. My opinion here, but once fatigue sets in you'd better have the physical strength to maintain your form or injury is coming.

While this approach seems logical, there is very little to no correlation between strength and success in endurance events. Consider the cyclists in the Tour de France; clearly a long grueling event that requires great endurance and ability to recover but I would wager that I could out squat almost all of them.

Shane
2011-11-16 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
That's true, but then again, they aren't going to be running after each stage. The run is when triathletes begin to lose their focus on form as fatigue sets in. I'm speaking purely from a matter of opinion, but it seems logical that we would need well developed muscular strength, in addition to endurance of course, to hold things together.
2011-11-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3904734

User image

Champion
BellaDad - 2011-11-16 7:06 PM

I'm speaking purely from a matter of opinion, but it seems logical that we would need well developed muscular strength, in addition to endurance of course, to hold things together.

As I said, it makes sense that building strength would help endurance performance but there is little to support that assumption. The three sports are not strength limited so building strength is likely to provide little to no gain.

Shane
2011-11-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3904717

User image

Master
Houston

gsmacleod - 2011-11-16 4:52 PM .....but I would wager that I could out squat almost all of them. Shane

Aha! You admit to weight training.

Just kidding Shane.  I have enough to do building up to go the distance.  If I ever get to the point where my belly is not protruding I might pick up some weights so my chest does.  But just for vanities sake.

2011-11-17 11:37 AM

User image

Champion

2011-11-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3905805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

gsmacleod - 2011-11-17 11:37 AM Just saw this; thought some might enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmD6FWo5TYQ&feature=youtube_gdat... Shane

I don't know about y'all, but that's totally the face I make riding my bike! So aero too!

2011-11-17 3:50 PM

User image

I think it's best used in the off season.  Seems to me that stregthening your body for hardcore warm weather training and racing can't be a bed thing.  I know that I didn't do it last year and by the end of the summer, I wished I had.  I do agree that during the season, I would lay off of it and focus on s/b/r.
2011-11-20 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

ST for me?  So far so good...but then again I come from a couch potato background and need to get some muscle development going.  This is my second year doing triathlons, the first season was just to see if I could do a sprint, the second to see if I could do an OLY...this year, it has become a lifestyle.  I want to get faster and better but I do need some strength and I need to get to a better race weight.

So far I have not lost a pound but less jiggles when I run and I am faster at all three disciplins.  I have been ST for 8 weeks and I follow the ST plan from the article mentioned earlier.  I am on phase II the endurance phase and I did see the change in my run time cutting off a minute...I am still slow but not as slow!

For a true beginner like me it is a good starting point. The link if you want to review:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Incorporate_strength_training_into_your_regimen.htm

Cynthia

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Incorporating strength training into triathlon training Rss Feed  

of 3