General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-07-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4337906

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
spudone - 2012-07-30 3:34 PM
lisac957 - 2012-07-30 1:05 PM

jmkizer - 2012-07-29 10:55 PM Some folks at the hotel said that full Vineman will be an IM branded event next year. U said even with Tahoe? They said that's what we hear. Has anyone else heard this?

I kind if like that it's an independent event.

Oooh. Really? I was looking forward to doing this race next year partly because it's an "independent" - I've done two IM-branded IMs and am ready for a smaller one! 

I'll be watching for news on this - please update if you hear anything solid!

They were a Kona qualifier years ago... they've always had a loose affiliation with WTC.

Well not in terms of price point
With the 3-for-2 deal I can register for $233 instead of $650! I fear if it's bought out by WTC they will increase the price to be in line with other IM-branded events, which will take it off the list for me and my 2 girlfriends who were planning on it for 2013. 

2012-07-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3908059

User image

Expert
Salem

I am planning for it to be my first in 2013.  Was looking forward to a price point that is affordable and independent as well.  No real issues with WTC as I haven't competed in a WTC Branded event; yet.  I would probably still do it; that is if I can get in.

2012-08-01 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Recent Facebook posting from Vineman leads me to believe they are planning on staying independent.  Signup opens on 11/1 at 9:00 am.  They also posted the tentative race dates as well - Full/Aqua and Barb's on 7/27/2013.  1 Day before I turn 50 and maybe the day I complete my 1st Iron Distance Race.
2012-08-02 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4336031

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

nerdjock - 2012-07-29 8:57 AM Great job out there everyone!  It was great to see some of you (Mrs_Browndog and Karen26.2 and Popsracer) out there!  Hope you all had a good day and are recovering well today.

That was cool to meet you out there.  You were cruising right along.  Hope the rest of your rest went well.

Thanks for calling attention to my daughter going by.  I kind of zoned out and would have missed her.  I felt like kind of a bad pop.  I want to get her an outfit like you had.  I showed her a picture and she loved it.  Where did you get it?

2012-08-02 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4344100

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
popsracer - 2012-08-02 1:31 PM

nerdjock - 2012-07-29 8:57 AM Great job out there everyone!  It was great to see some of you (Mrs_Browndog and Karen26.2 and Popsracer) out there!  Hope you all had a good day and are recovering well today.

That was cool to meet you out there.  You were cruising right along.  Hope the rest of your rest went well.

Thanks for calling attention to my daughter going by.  I kind of zoned out and would have missed her.  I felt like kind of a bad pop.  I want to get her an outfit like you had.  I showed her a picture and she loved it.  Where did you get it?

You're a great pop.  You were just in the zone.  The kit is from bettydesigns (bettydesigns.com).  The designer is a super cool triathlete from Encinitas.  Tons of great stuff.  Comfortable and high quality.  If you "like" her facebook page, she sends out deals sometimes.

2012-08-21 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Beginning to plan for Vineman 2013.  I am looking for a solid Full Vineman Training Plan.  One that last for about 20-24 weeks.  This will be my first one.  I have plenty of hills in the area for climbing (limiter for me).  I'll be working on strength training and flexibility over the winter as well as light Swimming/Biking and Running.

Thanks for any direction to plans you felt assisted you with this course.

2012-09-12 3:44 PM

New user

Hey Folks - was a regular on BT back in 2007/8 when I first started tri's - did a couple of IM's in 08 (LP & Florida) but only 70.3's since (i really don't mean 'only' just trying to let you know where I'm at!

Anyway, looking to do FULL Iron distance next year  - when I turn 50.. yikes! - was thinking about AZ but not loving it - I think Vineman is the way to go, have heard SO many great things about this race - and yes, thrilled it's NOT with WTC for 2013 - or at least it doesn't look that way. 

So here's a question - is anyone out there interested in going in on the registration to get the group rate?  I'm guessing I might be able to get at least one other person from my tri-club (but were in buffalo, NY so travel isn't the easiest for everyone) but was wondering if anyone here wanted to team up and save $125 off the entry ... feel free to post or send me a PM and I'll check in now and then between now and the time entry opens ... Just an idea - will leave me more spending money come race time!

Thanks!

2012-09-15 12:26 PM

New user

Torrance, CA

New to this, but hoping to sign up for full Vineman 2013.  Website is still showing the lower registration, so hoping it is still independent.

Also, am looking for people to get the 3 for 2 deal, so if you are interested.  Let me know!

Name:  Danica

First Ironman (if no, how many):  This will be my first Ironman

Why did you sign up?: Because I want to do an Ironman and we have a timeshare right next to the finish line!

What questions do you have:  All sorts of questions, but I'll get there 

What is your goal?:  I have no idea, but I want to finish... Maybe 13 - 14 hours?

2012-09-17 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4408235

User image

Expert
Salem
mlhoffman - 2012-09-12 1:44 PM

Hey Folks - was a regular on BT back in 2007/8 when I first started tri's - did a couple of IM's in 08 (LP & Florida) but only 70.3's since (i really don't mean 'only' just trying to let you know where I'm at!

Anyway, looking to do FULL Iron distance next year  - when I turn 50.. yikes! - was thinking about AZ but not loving it - I think Vineman is the way to go, have heard SO many great things about this race - and yes, thrilled it's NOT with WTC for 2013 - or at least it doesn't look that way. 

So here's a question - is anyone out there interested in going in on the registration to get the group rate?  I'm guessing I might be able to get at least one other person from my tri-club (but were in buffalo, NY so travel isn't the easiest for everyone) but was wondering if anyone here wanted to team up and save $125 off the entry ... feel free to post or send me a PM and I'll check in now and then between now and the time entry opens ... Just an idea - will leave me more spending money come race time!

Thanks!

I am interested in Vineman Full 2013 as well.  Would be doing it to celebrate my 50th B-Day which comes the day after the race (July 28th).  However, I am leary about signing up for the 3 for 2 with others.  I have been known to have some injury issues and recently dropped out of Portland Marathon due to a calf injury that prohibited me from training as I needed to; usually due to running issues.  I think Marathons and all running without the swimming and biking is not my thing; too impacting with only running.  If I signed up with others and for some reason had to drop or change to the AquaBike I couldn't change to the Aquabike Option if I do the 3 for 2 registration.  I may be signing up as a single entry for this reason.  Otherwise I'd be all over it.  I plan to sign up closer to the Dec. 31st deadline to get the better deal/lower cost.  I plan to continue to follow this thread to share my journey, thoughts and trials with others who will be participating in 2013 as well.

2012-09-27 6:48 PM

I did the full Vineman in 2011 and loved the event.  I'm also looking to go in on the 3 for 2 option in 2013.  IF anyone is interested, they can contact me here via BT or email me directly at [email protected]

For those of you new to this course, here's a quick, quick rundown:

The swim is warm and shallow.  You are pretty much forced to do some walking or improvised dolphin diving at the turnaround opposite the start.  River is 2-7' deep with hardly any noticeable current.

The bike is two loops thru rolling, beautiful countryside.  Only one steep hill to speak of and it's only about a mile in length.  The road surface was HORRIBLE in 2011.  Broken, cracked chip seal.  Headwinds intensify for the last 20-30km into T2.

The run is 3 loops out into some pretty countryside with a couple of short climbs, one pretty noticeable, albeit short about 3 or 4 miles out of T2,

The event is well organized and the volunteers are great!  they put in a long day too and should be given lots of "thank you's" as you go by.

I really wish I had raced this event this year.  Not sure why I didn't.

Greg

2012-09-28 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4431173

User image

Expert
Salem
timbergreg - 2012-09-27 4:48 PM

I did the full Vineman in 2011 and loved the event.  I'm also looking to go in on the 3 for 2 option in 2013.  IF anyone is interested, they can contact me here via BT or email me directly at [email protected]

For those of you new to this course, here's a quick, quick rundown:

The swim is warm and shallow.  You are pretty much forced to do some walking or improvised dolphin diving at the turnaround opposite the start.  River is 2-7' deep with hardly any noticeable current.

The bike is two loops thru rolling, beautiful countryside.  Only one steep hill to speak of and it's only about a mile in length.  The road surface was HORRIBLE in 2011.  Broken, cracked chip seal.  Headwinds intensify for the last 20-30km into T2.

The run is 3 loops out into some pretty countryside with a couple of short climbs, one pretty noticeable, albeit short about 3 or 4 miles out of T2,

The event is well organized and the volunteers are great!  they put in a long day too and should be given lots of "thank you's" as you go by.

I really wish I had raced this event this year.  Not sure why I didn't.

Greg

Timbergreg...Are you from Portland area? I was reading one of you race reports from Vineman Full and it mentioned in your report driving from Portland. I am from Salem, OR. I am planning to do Vineman in 2013 as well.

2012-10-03 12:14 AM

Hey TriGuyBri,

I am indeed from Portland and will be driving down for Vineman in 2013.  Most likely heading down a few days beforehand and hanging out for visiting friends and wine tasting for a few days after.  It worked once and should work again.  There is an outside possibility of at least getting you a ride down there but you would probably have to find another way back up to Salem.  It's still very far out from now.  suffice to say we would most likely leave Portland on the Wednesday morning before the race.

Greg

2012-10-04 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4438105

User image

Expert
Salem
timbergreg - 2012-10-02 10:14 PM

Hey TriGuyBri,

I am indeed from Portland and will be driving down for Vineman in 2013.  Most likely heading down a few days beforehand and hanging out for visiting friends and wine tasting for a few days after.  It worked once and should work again.  There is an outside possibility of at least getting you a ride down there but you would probably have to find another way back up to Salem.  It's still very far out from now.  suffice to say we would most likely leave Portland on the Wednesday morning before the race.

Greg

I was planning to drive down a couple days early as well and to save some money pull a tent camper and camp across from the Swim Start. Much cheaper than a Motel or Hotel. I figured out that they have a bus line from Guerneville to Windsor and Windsor to Guerneville. So I'd leave my vehicle in Windsor the day before and Take a bus back to Guerneville after Registration. This way I have a vehicle in Windsor after the race to drive back. I will stay one day after to rest up for the drive back. Not sure if my wife or middle schooler will be coming or not. I have some friends who are into traveling and may come with. If so my son may want to come. Wife is not all that interested. Of course if my friends were to come that would save me having to bus it. Stay in touch; always nice to have someone near by to get advice from. I was viewing the Vineman Bike and Run Routes on You Tube. The whole routes are viewable. Are you planning any races for the early summer? I'll be doing Blue Lake Oly next summer and maybe Hagg Lake 4000 K OWS with some Long Supported Bike Rides. Cookie Monster Ride (62 Miler) and PedalPetal in Silverton (100 Miler). Most likely will not do a Half before. Just to expensive.
2012-10-05 3:05 PM

I plan on doing the HITS half iron in Napa in the spring, the pacific crest long course (half iron) in surriver in June and some century rides in the area like strawberry in Lebanon. I'm also thinking about the 4k swim at hagg. I'm sure we will be able to meet up at some event and share some training advice.
2012-10-19 11:59 AM

Hey- my boyfriend who is currently deployed with the navy is looking to do this race in 2013, so I'm working on signing up for him. Would anyone be interested in doing the "buy one get one 1/2 off" deal? I saw that option on the website, I don't know of any other group rates yet... 

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10