XDog Events
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 50s
Overall Rank = 128/194
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

I had a bowl of cereal two hours prior to the race. I had a RS Recovery and Power Bar for breakfast. I also poured a 5 Hour Shot into a 16.9 ounce bottle of water which I drank with some Ibuprofen in the last 45 minutes before the race start.
Event warmup:

20 minutes prior to the event I performed some stretching, jogging and light running drills.
Run
  • 1h 02m 50s
  • 5.88 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I Ran the first 10 minutes too fast again. Ran the first 30 minutes at too high a heart rate. The second 30 minutes was run much smarter but it was too late by then the damage had been done.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get to my desired race pace and hold it as long as my heart rate does not exceed my desired rate. Once I am at my desired heart rate run by that to the end of the race. My race pace may be too fast for the course and my ability. This has been an issue my last two races.
Post race
Warm down:

None.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to run the race at a decent heart rate effort. I averaged 162 which are too high. My highest HR was 170. I need to either find a pace to hold or a Heart Rate effort to hold thru an entire race. This also was a hard 6 mile race done on about two hours of cardio a week. Running smartly on more weekly training will make me more competitive at Kevin’s races.

Event comments:

My longest run since 9/4/11 which was on a treadmill at training place so I am pretty happy with the results. Most my running has been 40 minutes or less since August.

Last race Kevin’s Cup 5.9 Mile Trail Course - Time 1:02:50 (Different Course do to the bees).

Last updated: 2011-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:50 | 05.88 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 128/194
Performance: Below average
Course: The Mary Young Park Trail system is a tale of two courses. The upper section is flat to a slight climb thru trees and soccer fields. The bottom section is ankle busting rocks roots and water. Connecting the two are steep up and downhills with stairs and switchbacks. The course is two counter clockwise loops with a starting small loop. The thing to remember with this course is once you climb out of river section at about what would be "4 O’clock" is two nasty holes with switch backs. The second one especially is a nasty little hold to climb out of. "Note to self for coming years". "Pace your race around those two holes" and the race will probably be faster and more fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes