General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-12-18 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3942132

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast?

I LOVE certain items from fast food restaurants, but it's healthier for us when I cook our meals at home.

I normally eat egg whites, with toast and jelly, or a protein shake. Sometimes something from the gas station if running late. Usually a siopao, or sushi, and always have my one cup of coffee.

2011-12-18 12:43 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago IL

My relationship with fast food is a love - hate relationship and depends if im in season or not. It's very difficult for me to avoid it during lunch at work since i hate preparing my own. Its a alot more motivating for me during the season to avoid it due to training so often and the postive effects on my body when i do.

Off season multiple times a week. During season once a week tops.

For breakfast I usually have 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs, english muffin or toast, and a cup of coffee.

2011-12-18 3:44 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

I feel fast food is fine in moderation, as in once or twice a month.  But I love it, I sure do.  When I was a cop my neighbor was a Taco Bell and it was awesome!

I like to cook so we may hit up a fast food place once or twice a month.

I'm not a breakfast fan so I usually have something off the slim fast plan.  I've been using slim fast products for breakfast for over 20 years, love that stuff even when I'm not trying to shed any weight.

2011-12-18 5:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-18 8:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

1) Fast food isn't good for you.  Period.

2) Because of necessity and poor planning I typically find a situation where I eat it once a month/every other month.

3)Typical breakfast is either a frozen homemade breakfast burrito (I make them in large batches and freeze), or Oatmeal w/Peanut butter and fruit.  always have coffee.

2011-12-18 8:15 AM

Pro
Omaha, NE

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)
I absolutely LOVE fast food.  I ate it almost every day for most of my life.  Almost every one of my favorite foods are a fast food of some type.
That being said, it was one of the major reasons that I was 50 lbs. overweight and when I started working out I cut waaay back on my fast food consumption. 

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)
I still eat fast food probably 3 or 4 times a week, but I make healthier choices.  Subway, Qdoba rice bowl, Chipotle, etc... 

And what do you typically have for breakfast?
Almost every day I have a banana and a Naked Protein Zone Mango drink after my workout.

2011-12-18 8:29 AM

Pro
Baton Rouge area

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

Separating McDee, BK, Wendy's, etc from places like Subway but the stuff is generally not good for you but just like Beer, wine, sweets, etc in moderation its fine.  Just like everything else when you over indulge on goodies it will come back to haunt you.

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)

2-4x month if you include places like Subway, quiznos, etc

M-Th I usually have a lean pocket or a PB sandwich for breakfast.  Fridays I have eggs and bacon or biscuits and gravy

2011-12-18 8:55 AM

Expert

I eat fast food 2-3x per week usually McD, I have 4 kids all in sports. The difference between now and 30lbs ago is I make a healthy choice off the menu, and pay attention to the calories.

Breakfast either Rainsin bran or oatmeal with peanut butter and nutella.

2011-12-18 9:47 AM

Elite

1.  In general I don't care for fast food, like most have posted think it's so pumped full of crap that I can't stand the thought of it.  However, once in a while the siren song of Taco Bell calls to me...a bean burrito with cheese is the only thing that can quiet it.

2.  I eat it rarely...traveling with my CC team, road trips for daughter's softball tournaments.  I will usually order a kids meal,  get the apple slices, etc. 

3.  For breakfast it's one of two things:  a 4 egg white omelet with a ton of cilantro and Tapatio sprinkled all over it or a couple of veggie sausages and some fruit. 

2011-12-18 10:06 AM

Expert
Spokane, WA

Mostly it's bad stuff but I think you can eat at a fast food joint and do OK.

Not very often, maybe once or twice a month, and usually Taco Bell (fresco style burritos are pretty reasonable) or Five Guys burgers, their fries are cut fresh at the store and they are just awesome.

Muesli almost every single day, usually with black coffee, some juice and often times a banana.

2011-12-18 2:29 PM

Coastal Carolina

1.  I'm not one of the fast food= murder but I try to search out healthier options if possible, except during McRibb season but once in a while I don't see the harm in it

2.  Maybe once a month, more often if I have any road trips

3.  Smoothie, usually one of the ABS diet recipies

2011-12-18 3:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

those who think they are choosing the grilled chicken or egg whites at fast food places think they are making a better chocie are fooling themselves.  They have unnatural transfat added to mimic the grill taste.... suprising the burger patty at mcdonalds is the least molested....if i was starving and mcdonalds was on an island, i would by 4 hamburgers, throw out the buns (loaded with transfat too) and eat the patties.

but anyways, since I know how to cook, which isnt hard, I can make my food taste better than any fast food place.

The only fast food palce I would go to, only because I know it has no transfat or other added chemicals, is Pita Pit

My breakfast is usually a sprouted wheat bagel with chocolate pea protein

Edited by synthetic 2011-12-18 3:16 PM
2011-12-18 5:12 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 11:46 AM

Hope I can post this here for greater views that the nutritional section...I'm doing some research, it'd be awesome if you can take 30 seconds to answer three quick questions.. Thanks!

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

Research for what purpose? Where are your own answers? Pardon me if I question the motives here, but I don't like to provide personal information.

2011-12-18 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3943150

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2011-12-18 5:23 PM
2011-12-18 5:33 PM

Champion
Calgary
fast food, prepared normally, tastes like blahhhh. The sauce, the limp tomato, it is cold and soggy. BUT, if you go to McD Dairy Queen AW whereever and you say, "listen, I want my burger made fresh, ok, not out of the friggin warming drawer, I want it hot." Well, if you say that they don't understand so you usually have to get a manager, usually you can convince them to make one fresh for you, without the magic sauce. A fast food burger prepared that way, probably not so bad for you, and pretty tasty.

So, I go maybe 6 times a year that way. Sometimes, maybe another 6 times a year I get hungry and I grab a mcdouble or bacon jr cheeseburger. I really try to stay away from the fries and the pop( which I think is by far the worst thing)

For breakfast I have a shake made of yogurt, apple, banana, protien powder. Sometimes followed by oatmeal depending on when I run and how hungry I am.
2011-12-18 7:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 12:46 PM

Hope I can post this here for greater views that the nutritional section...I'm doing some research, it'd be awesome if you can take 30 seconds to answer three quick questions.. Thanks!

down here fast food is homemade, whole food.  There are food carts all over with fresh fruits cut up in cups, fresh juice in bags, meats and taco fillings and tamales.  On journeys you will have fresh made breads, fruits and juices all at crossroads and topes and all you have to do is roll your window down and partake of the bounty. 

So, we eat fast food a LOT.  I don't think I've ever had the fast food you're talking about as an adult,however.  I do remember once getting a Big Mac as a kid.  It was quite a novelty.  My kids have never had fast food as you describe (17, 15, 12 and 10).

Q3.  Typical breakfast is oatmeal with piloncillo (a molassesy type of sugar in a cone shape and you just hunk off a piece) or oatmeal wiht salt and egg.  then eggs a few or more hours later.  oh and coffee.  My heart doesn't beat without homage to the dark lord. 

to answer your 1st question, I'm not sure.  I can't remember the last time in over 30 years that I've had it but I have a very negative view of it (the type you describe).  2nd question would have to be at least not in the last 30 years (prolly more).

Edited by kathy caribe 2011-12-18 7:48 PM

2011-12-18 7:57 PM

Master
Overland Park, KS
That's all I have to say about that ......

(In N Out.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
In N Out.JPG (34KB - 8 downloads)
2011-12-19 6:36 AM

Master
Centennial, CO

I don't have a problem with fast food on a rare occasion.  Actually compared to many chain sit down restaurants, it really is not different and may actually have fewer calories (ever noticed that many chains server portions with calorie counts well over 1000 calories?)

I eat it maybe 1x per month.

For breakfast, I generally eat some almonds.  Maybe Oatmeal, or a bagel.  On weekends, I'll have pancakes or waffles that I make for my wife and daughter. (normally after I get back from a run or bike, or before I go swim.

2011-12-19 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3943150

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Donskiman - 2011-12-18 6:12 PM
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 11:46 AM

Research for what purpose? Where are your own answers? Pardon me if I question the motives here, but I don't like to provide personal information.

What Fred said.  I have no idea what sinister deed I could possibly accomplish with the data collected here...but if it matters, I'm collecting data for an article. I have some info, but could use a much larger data pool.  I'll happily share my answers when the responses here trickle off, as I don't believe in seeding the minds of the participants. Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Edited by meatcookie 2011-12-19 7:05 AM
2011-12-19 7:07 AM

Extreme Veteran

Ok, I love me some Big Mac or Whopper but only indulge 1-2x/year. If I'm very weak and in a hurry I'll get a grilled chicken breast..sickening how much sodium is in that though, ugh, so that's a very rare occurance as well. I find popping into a supermarket and just getting a baked chicken breast to go with a ff milk does me just fine when I'm on the go. (I always have apples and nuts in car for snacks)

Breakfast lately has been steel-cut oatmeal and a fried egg w/coffee - before workout, repeat after.

Patsy

2011-12-19 7:12 AM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Taco Bell - 7 Layer Bean Burrito & Fresco Soft Taco

Wendys - Single with Cheese & Baked Potato

Five Guys - No Fries

Chick Fil-A - Breakfast Bagel Egg & Chicken & their awesome, awesome milkshakes.

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY A CHICK FIL-A MILKSHAKE!!!

2011-12-19 7:16 AM

Runner
1) Does pizza, wings, hoagies and cheesesteaks count as fast food? I have no real opinion on fast food. I like some of it, don't like other stuff. I like cheeseburgers and fries.

2) Assuming we include all the stuff I just mentioned, then weekly, or more often (not daily, maybe 3-4 times total in a week at most).

3) I am not usually a breakfast eater. However, if I do, it usually consists of dry cereal. Sometimes Pop-Tarts or a bagel. Or hot dogs. If I'm eating breakfast, it's usually after I've been up for more than an hour or two.
2011-12-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3943545

Melon Presser

Scout7 - 2011-12-19 9:16 PM 1) Does pizza, wings, hoagies and cheesesteaks count as fast food? I have no real opinion on fast food. I like some of it, don't like other stuff. I like cheeseburgers and fries. 2) Assuming we include all the stuff I just mentioned, then weekly, or more often (not daily, maybe 3-4 times total in a week at most). 3) I am not usually a breakfast eater. However, if I do, it usually consists of dry cereal. Sometimes Pop-Tarts or a bagel. Or hot dogs. If I'm eating breakfast, it's usually after I've been up for more than an hour or two.

I knew it. <3 <3 <3

Excuse me. Carry on.

2011-12-19 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3943538

Extreme Veteran
England
pga_mike - 2011-12-19 11:12 PM

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY A CHICK FIL-A MILKSHAKE!!!

Unless youre in my age group.  In which case Chick Fil A Milkshakes are an excellent alternative to water.

1.  I have no problem with fast food in general.  I believe, depending on how active a person you are, you'll have no problems with it in your diet between a couple of times a month and a couple of times a week.  I like how good it makes you feel while eating it, I hate how crappy it makes you feel shortly after.

2.  Average once a week

3.  My breakfast is typically always yogurt, dried fruit & granola with a glass of low fat milk.

2011-12-19 7:51 AM

Took my daughter to McDonalds last week.  Was surprised how much Happy Meals cost.  Would of preffered to have gone some place else.  It is nothing special unless they have an incredible playscape for the kids.

Varies from never to all most weekly depending upon were I'm working.

Fruit, Cereal, Bagel nothing on it or Leftovers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  

of 5