BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-12-21 3:43 AM
in reply to: #3946145

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Subject: RE: SBR Endurance Group - OPEN
mroger82 - 2011-12-21 5:28 AM

Simone, welcome to the group. Man I'm glad you decided to come back to triathlon. I'm sure the motivation you received from your friend who went to Kona is tremendous. I dream of going to Kona one day too. I may not qualify until I'm 75 or 80, but hell I don't care. Where are you located? Not in the US I'm assuming. If you are in the southern hemisphere, lucky you! I wish I was somewhere I could train outside right now, however I can still run outside without too much of a problem.

Keep up with your training. Consistency is the key as you probably know. Just be careful and don't overdo it. You know us 40 somethings don't recover and heal as well as we did in our 20's.  You will finish, I have no doubt about it. Given your background you know what it takes to get there. It's just a matter of letting yourself do it. Focus on your training and soon you will have tangible evidence of your hard work. I know it is a slow process,  just keep doing it. There is sort of a fine line between training and overtraining. It sounds to me like you have a good handle on that with rest days added into your plan.

Congratulations on making the decision to lead a healthy lifestyle. Feel free to speak your mind here, or send me a message anytime. I'm here for you. 2012 is coming soon, and it's going to be a great year!

Roger.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the group Roger. You assumed correct, I live in a southern state of Australia (Victoria) so I am very lucky to be able to bike and run outdoors all year round. The local pool where they do the tri series is also where I swim, its indoors and heated, so I guess I am spoilt compared to you guys in the northern hemisphere. I might well be in my 80's too before I qualify for Kona but if that's what it takes so be it, Like you I am determined to get there no matter how long I have to wait.

I just uploaded my training log since I started back in November, so you will get an idea of what I am doing. I've also been keeping a blog on wordpress to keep myself motivated and accountable and to help me work through the rough spots in training, also to keep freinds in the loop of what I am up to. I've been reading heaps of books on training, nutrition, etc. I am just really enjoying being active again and having a healthy goal, both mentally and physically. I still have a bit of weight to lose (about 23 kgs), but I know it will come off eventually, as you say, its all about being consistent. I train on my own at the moment, so having this mentor program is great for me as I am sure I'll have some tough days ahead and hopefully I'll be able to help motivate others through their tough days too. I am really looking forward to what 2012 brings!

Kind regards,

Simone

2011-12-21 5:03 AM
in reply to: #3942453

User image

Regular

Hi,

Do you have room for another? I am addicted to triathlon even though I am very new. I am at work so will send my information later if you still have room. I am from Missouri too so some of us will have similar winter weather to deal with!

Thanks!

Jan

2011-12-21 7:29 AM

User image

New user

Hi everyone, room for one more?

My name is Josh and I am 22 from southern Ontario, Canada. I have just recently been introduced to endurance events and absolutely love the competition. I have always been involved in some kind of sport but since I graduated college I have not been nearly involved.

Since I am new too the sport but have a decent history of all sports including swimming I have been focusing on form and strength training over the last several months hoping to start some kind of structured plan in January. I am getting in training time whenever I can and have started to slow down a little bit after reading the Triathlon Training Bible( by Joe Friel) in fear of over training and burning out. However I am still hovering around 15-20 hrs a week, getting in a well rounded plan of weights, swim(masters class and solo pool swims), bike (spin classes and trainer) and because of the weather running on the treadmill ( so boring haha

I think I may have got a little to excited about joining multi sport with my friend talking to me about Ironman, the thought of pushing your body to the limit is an amazing accomplishment.I have actually taken on the challenge of completing Ironman Louisville in August. With never doing a triathlon until this year I certainly have some work cut out for me but plan on competing in as many local sprint and OLY's as I can, and plan on doing HIM Muncie to set myself up about 7 weeks prior to IMKY.

Looking forward to long training days and lots of input from yourself ad the group!

2011-12-21 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have  a question is it a common thing to do full triathlons as training ( like actual race distance sprint/oly/him/im) to get a feel of your time and see how much you improve before a race and whatnot

2011-12-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3947534

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Typically no. Your training should be just that, training, where you focus on form, function, efficiency, etc. This is even more apparent when it comes to long course events (70.3, 140.6). With each race effort you will need some recovery time otherwise you risk an overtraining injury, or increased susseptibility to illness. There are brick workouts where two diciplines are combined, usually bike/run, but the distances are much shorter than a race length.
2011-12-21 9:40 AM

User image

New user

Peoria, IL

I'd like to join the group if it's still open.  True beginner triathlete here!

Name:  Jess 

Story:  37 yo female in central Illinois.  I started seriously running 3 years ago to lose weight and get "me" time.  I'm a work@home mom with a graphic design business and two little girls under the age of 5.  I can't tell you enough how much I love to run!  I'm pretty middle-of-the-pack.  No awards or impressive times, but the journey is my reward.  This past year, I threw biking into the mix when I experienced some injuries that derailed my run.  I love Spinning classes and biking on the local trails.  In 2012, I'd like to add swimming and attempt my first Tri, probably just a sprint to test the waters.  I was a waterbug as a kid (we had our own mini-lake), but really haven't swam much since... so looking for lots of advice and direction on how to progress in the swim dpt.

Family Status:  Air Force wife of 7 yrs, which means my schedule is not always flexible as it revolves around my husband's work and deployments. Sometimes it's hard to get training done with two young children, but I do have a gym membership, home treadmill and home bike that get it done.

Current Training:  I'm currently in-training for Myrtle Beach half-marathon.  I twisted my ankle pretty badly in a Thanksgiving race, so progressing slowly. My goal is 4 runs each week (1 easy, 1 long, 1 tempo and 1 speed interval), along with 3 cross-training sessions on the bike and some yoga for flexibility.

2011 Races: Bunch of small local races, 8K, 10K, four half-marathons and my first 26.2 at the Quad Cities Marathon.

Planned 2012 Races:  Next up is Myrtle Beach half-marathon in Feb, followed by four half-marathons in the spring.  Although I may turn one of those into a full.  We'll see how training goes.  Madison-to-Chicago Ragnar Relay ultra team in June... and then my first TRI August 5 (Oshkosh Area Triathalon).  Race schedule always updated here.

Weightloss: Always an ongoing battle!

2011-12-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3944959

User image

Veteran
College Station, Texas

Yes I need to establish some specific goals, I dont really know what Im doing as far as the swim goes, so for that, just to become proficient at it. I will try and get some kind of times for a 100M that we can go off to set a goal.

For the Bike, I would like to build to a 20mph race pace over a sprint distance.

For thr run, I would like to build to a 9 min/mile or less.

When im "training" I have no specific targets so to speak Im just out there doing what I can, I think some target specific training would help, but I dont really understand some of the training terms being used.

Strength training is not to get "big" but to get some strength back that I feel Ive lost over the past year. I want to be as lean as possible.

I guess a BIG goal would be to podium in a race, either as a Clyde or AG.

I believe my logs are set so anyone can see them, I will post a link in there to my food logs, I havent kept them up before but will persevere to keep them up for 2012.

When I travel I take my bike with me so I can still train on the bike, I also have a YMCA membership I can use any YMCA anywhere.

2011-12-21 10:09 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

If you have room for one more...

Name: Kimmax / Marcia

Story:
Never really been athletic although have always enjoyed swimming and cycling.  Saw some pics of people doing the Malibu Sprint triathlon and thought "I might be able to do that!".  Started training (I didn't even run at the time!) for my first mini sprint in 2008 and did 3 that year - addicted!  The following year I worked up to doing the sprint distance, then an oly the following year.  Last year my plan was to ride a century (imperial) and beat my past oly time.  Mid year I registered for Muskoka 70.3 and completed that in Sept.  It wasn't the easiest race for me (go figure!) and so this years goals are to figure out what distance I like and improve upon that.  I also learned I still have a lot to learn!!  I think the tally is 4 mini's, 6 sprints, 2 olys, and 1 70.3 &  I've run 1 half mary.

Family Status: I'm fortunate to have a very supportive family: good hubby with one 9 year daughter, a puggle and two cats. 

2012 Goals: I need to figure out what distance I enjoy most.  I LOVE the training that goes in to long distances but not sure 70.3 is for me.  Having said that - it's been suggested the race I did was one of the toughest and doing one in a terrain I train in might make a big difference so... I will do a local half iron distance race in June and I'd like to have fun with a mix of long course, sprints and olys, as well as run my first marathon in October.  In PEI. 

Weight Loss:  I shed some weight last season and got down to 138 which was good.  Still not as firm as I would like.  Now with the season I'm up again - goal is to reduce body fat and firm up. 

Current Training:  I've been focusing on building my run volume and trying to get in the pool a minimum of 2x per week.  Cycling has been off and on.  I need to get back in to it and so just signed up for a half mary in Feb.  Serious training starts in Jan/Feb.

I liked what you wrote in your profile and so looking forward to kicking this year off!

ETA: Last season I was in the Dream Chaser mentor group and learned lots AND... won the mentor group award woo hoo.  Hopefully that earns me a spot ha ha 

Edited by kimmax 2011-12-21 10:16 AM
2011-12-21 10:39 AM

User image

Regular

Ok, I am off work now so my info, should you decide to accept me!

My name is Janis-go by Jan,  am 53 this month.I have been married very happily for 28 years to David, my hero. We have 2 grown children, daughter-27, marriage is looking close=$$$ and a son, 21 who is finishing his senior year as pre-med but wants to go study in Italy for a year before med school=$$$$.

I have been a runner since about 16 and got into triathlon in 2010 due to running injuries like many people I guess. I am really new and have many questions. I have done 2 almost OLY distance-both had 1000 m swims but the other distances were the same as OLY.

I am originally from St. Louis-I miss it so much even though I have lived in Columbia for more than 30 years now. I am a member of Columbia Multisport Club which is awesome but my hours are weird and my parents are requiring my attention these days so don't get to work out with them much. This winter I am doing a spin session 2x a week in the basement of one of the member's houses, our bikes on trainers, but the rest is on my own. I don't know what to do in the off-season so would like some guidance on that. Right now I swimming about 2-3 times a week, running about 2-3 times a week and the bike session.

As far as weight loss, that has not been a reason for being in triathlon but I was not able to work out much over the summer after the triathlon I did in May because my dad had back surgery not long after that and I had to take care of him 24/7 for awhile and that completely took out my season this year. I gained 10+ lbs (I am now afraid to get on the scale) and none of my clothes fit so I guess I will be trying to lose some weight over the winter.

I am totally obsessed with triathlon and want to learn all I can so I will ask questions, encourage others, listen and follow advice, whatever I can do to continue.

Thanks!

Jan

2011-12-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3947433

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
jd.camaro - 2011-12-21 7:29 AM

Hi everyone, room for one more?

My name is Josh and I am 22 from southern Ontario, Canada. I have just recently been introduced to endurance events and absolutely love the competition. I have always been involved in some kind of sport but since I graduated college I have not been nearly involved.

Since I am new too the sport but have a decent history of all sports including swimming I have been focusing on form and strength training over the last several months hoping to start some kind of structured plan in January. I am getting in training time whenever I can and have started to slow down a little bit after reading the Triathlon Training Bible( by Joe Friel) in fear of over training and burning out. However I am still hovering around 15-20 hrs a week, getting in a well rounded plan of weights, swim(masters class and solo pool swims), bike (spin classes and trainer) and because of the weather running on the treadmill ( so boring haha

I think I may have got a little to excited about joining multi sport with my friend talking to me about Ironman, the thought of pushing your body to the limit is an amazing accomplishment.I have actually taken on the challenge of completing Ironman Louisville in August. With never doing a triathlon until this year I certainly have some work cut out for me but plan on competing in as many local sprint and OLY's as I can, and plan on doing HIM Muncie to set myself up about 7 weeks prior to IMKY.

Looking forward to long training days and lots of input from yourself ad the group!

That's a great resource, and something I still continue to look at.  15-20 hrs seems like quite a bit right now to me, but if you can handle it, I'm sure you will be getting in a good amount of base training for the IM.  

2011-12-22 3:28 AM
in reply to: #3945265

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Yay another Aussie!

How good is it that we can train outdoors all year round. I think I would die of boredom if I had to use a trainer and treadmill for 6+ months of the year.

2011-12-22 4:12 AM
in reply to: #3949211

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

stuart_little_9 - 2011-12-22 8:28 PM Yay another Aussie! How good is it that we can train outdoors all year round. I think I would die of boredom if I had to use a trainer and treadmill for 6+ months of the year.

I agree, though you do get much nicer winters up in QLD than I get down here, even though it doesn't snow we get our share of icy mornings which are doable on the bike, but no fun! *grin*

2011-12-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3947198

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hello Monty and welcome to the group! 2012 is going to be a great year. Not scientific by any means, but I'm willing to bet about 90% of people in their first tri is on a bike not meant to be raced with. I'm looking forward to you posting some pictures of your new ride!!! A HIM in 2013 is a great goal. Your training looks good and I'm really digging the myofascial release 1 day/week. I desperately need some of that. I use a foam roller and my wife is a massage therapist, but funny enough I don't give my muscles and fascia enough attention. That will be a good new year resolution for me I guess.

I can see how your shift work is conducive to training. Even working the 12 hour shifts you can still get some quality training in depending on how much family time you're willing to sacrifice I suppose. I see you are doing a lot of running. Do you incoporate different types of run training, or just log miles? Just wondering.  Being in TX, you should be able to get some quality rides in on your new bike throughout the winter. I'm sure it gets cold their too, not sure if investing in a trainer would be cost effective, but if you have the cash, they're nice to have even for those rainy days where you have a bike ride planned.

Let me know if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you. Don't forget to post a pic of that bike.

Roger.  

2011-12-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3947194

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hello Stuart, welcome to the group. It will be nice having some of your expertise here.  What kind of training are you doing currently? So what's keeping you from commiting to a HIM in 2012? Do you like short course racing better? Doesn't really matter, just trying to get to know you a little better. 2:46 is nothing to sneeze at. Had you done better in that race before?

Again welcome to the group. Keep us posted on your training and races.

Roger.

2011-12-22 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did my first open water swim today my friend said it was cause the water was really cold, but I got tired soo fast couldn't even finish it really.
2011-12-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3949782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
jaelinfunk - 2011-12-22 10:52 AMI did my first open water swim today my friend said it was cause the water was really cold, but I got tired soo fast couldn't even finish it really.
Don't let that discourage you. My first open water swim was in a race with a wetsuit and the water was 56 degrees. I didn't know if I would ever finish. It certainly gets easier.

2011-12-22 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2 swim questions

1- I am very bad at freestyle I can only go like 50 at the most but brest stroke I can swim faster and for as long as I want (however after today I would say I can't in a wetsuit). Should i be really working on my freestyle, or just keep working on my brest stroke until I can get lessons and learn freestyle correctly.

2- After I am in the water for an extended time when I get out my stomach hurts, any ideas?

2011-12-22 12:56 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I've always been a recreational swimmer and didn't start doing laps until about 4 years ago - in prep for my first triathlon.  I remember having to take breaks at the end of each 50m swim and I really could only swim for about 15-20minutes.  Keep at it!  Swim fitness seems to fade quickly but I also find you can gain it quickly if you are consistent.  I went on Monday for the first time since my Sept race and it was brutal.  My shoulders were killing me on Tuesday. 

I'd recommend working on your freestyle but mix it up.  Maybe do a 100 breast and then 50 front and keep alternating it and slowly start lengthening the front crawl segment.  Here's a neat site:  http://www.swimsmooth.com/

No clue about the second question.  Perhaps you are just engaging your core more and those muscles aren't used to it? 

2011-12-22 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
What Kim said. I had the same issue starting out. I would vary my strokes in the pool. You should definitely be adding freestyle as you become a stronger swimmer. In a race you will see people doing every stroke you can imagine. If your are going to breaststroke in a race make sure you are way on the outside. People don't take kindly to being kicked by the frog kick.As for the stomach issue, is it an upset stomach or soar muscles in the stomach? In open water, I unintentionally end up drinking a bit of the water, especially if it is choppy. That can and will upset my stomach.
2011-12-22 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Good Afternoon. If you have room for another Kansas City area guy, I would like to join the group. I'm a slow big (fat) dude that wishes he had more time to be quicker at the SBR stuff. I have several Sprint Distance Races, a Half-Iron and 1 Iron completed. My goal is to lose about 27 pounds, and finish in the top half of my age group at each race.

I have been at this for about 4 years, but have not really put in the time to do well at any race.
Races Completed in 2011:
KC Tri (sprint)
Ironman Florida

This year the goal is to finish in the top half of my age group for each race and I have the following races lined up. Its early, so it might change a bit as the year goes on:
KC Tri-Sprint
Rock the Parkway- Half Marathon
Either IM70.03 Kansas or IM 70.3 Branson
Hopefully Hyvee in Des Moine or the Chicago Triathlon.
2011-12-22 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
First tri is feb 5th and I think I'll have freestyle down good enough for the 400y pool swim by then. its a bike heavy tri (400y, 12m, 2.2m) so my biking background and equipment will hopefully pay off also I'm running a 5k on new years eve for the first time (done the distance just not a race)

2011-12-22 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park

Please let me join you group!

Here is my info if you choose to mentor me!

Name: TriMan25/ Brandon Harbert

Story: I am another local KC guy and this is my first year of anything running or triathlon. I would say my sisters in-law have motivated me to get into the sport of triathlon and running. I swam and ran track in high school. Just recently I just picked running up again and swimming was always natural to me. so I know the only thing I will struggle on will be the bike. I will need help all all terminology. So far I'm up to 10 miles on my long run. I also a solider in the US Army and currently deployed but will be home in a few months when it starts to warm up so I can train hard. 

Family Status: I've been married for 3 years in April together for 9, we have 0 children.  My wife is a para professional at a local elementary school. She is very supportive to my addiction to running and triathlon

Current Training: Right now I am just running due to being deployed but when I get home gonna get back in the pool and buy my first bike and get some significant time on the bike before my first tri. I will also need help with getting my first bike like what to look for and ect...

2011 Races: No Individual races.

Planned 2012 Races:

March 31st- Ruckus Kansas
April  21st- Oz Marathon/Half Marathon and 5K - Im doing the Half Marathon
May 18th- KC Triathlon - Sprint Distance
June 16th- Topeka TinMan Triathlon - Sprint Distance 
July 8th- Shawnee Mission Park Triathlon - Sprint Distance
August 19th- Jackson County Triathlon - Sprint Distance * Gole Race
October 20th- KC Marathon * Gole Race
November 22nd- Thanksgiving Day Trot - 5K 

My Aug 19th triathlon role race is the race where I want to finish in the mid to leader group and my Marathon is what I am training for right now!

Weightloss: Right now I am currently 215 and I would like to be between 180-200 lbs by the end of the season.

2011-12-22 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3947839

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hi Jan, welcome to our group! I hear a lot of wonderful things about CMC. I am the VP of OMC here in Springfield and our current President used to be a member of CMC. Don't worry about the weight, I'm sure you'll think of a way to swim, bike, and run it off. 10# is virtually nothing with good training and sensible diet plan. Anyway, welcome again and be sure to fire off any questions or comments you have. Do you have any races/goals for 2012?

Roger.

2011-12-22 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3947433

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hi Josh, welcome to the group! Very ambitious tackling an IM 8 mos. out and this being your first year in triathlon.  Don't worry, you certainly aren't the first and won't be the last. Living in Canada means a lot, and I mean a lot of indoor training in your future. Some thing to think about is August in Louisville. Heat, heat, and more heat. They've been pretty lucky the last couple of years down there as far as the hot weather goes, but it would behoove you to maybe get down there a week or so early just to acclimate yourself to it. Get into a good training plan as soon as you can. You will also need to set up a good nutrition plan for the warmer climate, but we can get to all that later.  August will be here before you know it, and you'll need a strong base from which to work.

Again welcome to the group, don't hesitate to ask questions, leave comments, etc. I/we are here to help you/each other.

Roger.

2011-12-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3947670

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Hello Jess, welcome to our group. It looks like you certainly have all of the tools needed. Finding the time to do quality training is a chore I'll bet with the two girls. I like your running workout schedule. Spinning is great also. We'll see if we can get you through the swim. Be sure and check back here frequently if you're needing motivation, inspiration, questions answered, etc. Hopefully we can help you with your addiction to running by adding in triathlon.

Roger.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24