BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-12-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3948173

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED
dkline70 - 2011-12-21 12:47 PM

I'm definitely trying to get some workouts done over the holidays.  With decreased work responsibilities due to days off, its an opportunity I plan to take advantage of.  A few swims and some easy trail runs and hopefully some mountain biking for me.  

I hadn't mentioned earlier, but I'm in Boone, NC (NW NC).

Happy Holidays everyone.

Dk

My old roomate was from Boone

2011-12-21 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Master

I'll be working out over the holidays.  Having time off work means that I can start getting used to 2-a-days.  I also have moved some workouts around in the BT plans to account for my schedule.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

2011-12-21 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3947599

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - OPEN
I've got a 25k race on 1/7, so I'm keeping my run training up as much as I can. I got my bike put back together and hope to get that on the trainer to get a few rides in before the New Year.
2011-12-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3948300

Cool.  What's their name?

dk

2011-12-21 4:21 PM

User image

Elite

Awesome OWS in Half Moon Bay Melbourne, Australia yesterday evening.  I did a couple of these last season in around February and I was useless.  I freaked out and panicked as soon as I was out of my depth.

Fast forward 9 months, after 3x a week pool session I have seen a vast improvement.  No panic when we swim out 250m around the shipwreck the Cerberus - then swim 380m across to a huge yellow stick, then back to the start.  It's a 1km circuit.

I absolutely loved it yesterday - calm bay conditions helped - but I was happy with our 'race' starts with 40-50 of us all going off at once.  Found someone to draft off and stuck on his toes the whole way making for a very leisurely swim.  I could have gone faster but decided to practice drafting.

Gotta love summer in Melbourne and living 2km from the beach!

(CERBERUS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CERBERUS.jpg (77KB - 6 downloads)
2011-12-21 6:00 PM

Regular
Indiana

I will definitely be working out over the holidays.

I am just finishing up my off-season plan and getting my mind around my diet and exercise plan for the new year. It has been good to work on improving my base these past few months. Honing my nutrition pre, during, and post workouts is something I need a lot of work on this year.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Do any of you use supplements?

If so, what kind and when?

I was thinking about using creatine during the early stages of training to help endure the added stresses I am going to be under,

Have fun training and don't forget to enjoy family time these next couple of week and before you dive into training mode. lol

2011-12-21 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

I'm not a supplement guy, personally.  I take a vitamin, but that's new as of a couple weeks ago, and really just playing around with it.

I do use a juicer and I'm a gluten free (allergy) vegetarian (choice).  So I have a very peculiar diet that by nature includes a ton of fruits and veggies.  

I don't feel deficient on any nutrients.

2011-12-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3948708

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Wow, fantastic picture! I guess you will make a few of us living in the Norther hemisphere somewhat jealous... In comparison, I had to pass on my training in the pool tonight, because we just had an episode of freezing rain and the roads are a bit hazardous tonight. A bit of a contrast with your OWS. Congrats on your improvment, btw what time did you do for this 1km?

2011-12-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3948860

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Shane,

my wife is also on a gluten-free diet. Tonight we had these rice pasta, they taste like the real thing but I usually starve a few hours compared to the regular wheat-based ones.  I satisfy my addiction to wheat at lunch-time, but I would be curious to know which veggies give you enough carbs to sustain your training regimen?

Also, do you get your proteins via supplements (Whey powder) or 100% via veggie and gluten-free cereals?

My hat off to you to manage to go long distance with this constraint in a world where gluten is king!

On your question for training, what's your personal view on a rest period before attacking a new plan? Is it ok to train all-year round or is that a recipe for fatigue and/or injury? Some colleagues insist on following a "Christmas Truce", that's how the question comes to mind.

Second question, my A-race is on jun 24th and I was contemplating the 20-week HIM BT program. Do you recommend a maintenance program until I get to D-Day - 20 weeks?

Third question, I checked the details of the initial weeks and volume seems lower than my current regimen (at least this is what I observe, with the big difference that I do not bike much right now). Should I "follow the plan" or adjust the volume to my current regimen until the volume from the plan starts to exceed my current volume? 

Sorry for bombarding you with questions! Let me know if you'd prefer to limit to one question per post.

2011-12-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3948595

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
dkline70 - 2011-12-21 3:42 PM

Cool.  What's their name?

dk

For the life of me, I can't remember his last name, Jason Charles ___... his nickname was "horseshit" haha. Great guy, made killer wings =)

2011-12-22 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3948972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
fdulak - 2011-12-21 8:23 PM

Hi Shane,

my wife is also on a gluten-free diet. Tonight we had these rice pasta, they taste like the real thing but I usually starve a few hours compared to the regular wheat-based ones.  I satisfy my addiction to wheat at lunch-time, but I would be curious to know which veggies give you enough carbs to sustain your training regimen?

Also, do you get your proteins via supplements (Whey powder) or 100% via veggie and gluten-free cereals?

My hat off to you to manage to go long distance with this constraint in a world where gluten is king!

On your question for training, what's your personal view on a rest period before attacking a new plan? Is it ok to train all-year round or is that a recipe for fatigue and/or injury? Some colleagues insist on following a "Christmas Truce", that's how the question comes to mind.

Second question, my A-race is on jun 24th and I was contemplating the 20-week HIM BT program. Do you recommend a maintenance program until I get to D-Day - 20 weeks?

Third question, I checked the details of the initial weeks and volume seems lower than my current regimen (at least this is what I observe, with the big difference that I do not bike much right now). Should I "follow the plan" or adjust the volume to my current regimen until the volume from the plan starts to exceed my current volume? 

Sorry for bombarding you with questions! Let me know if you'd prefer to limit to one question per post.

Regarding GF diet and protein, a lot of soy milk, greek yogurt, beans.  Tons of protein.  I log my nutrition often on another site and never seem to be under where I'd want to be.  For carbs, potatos, beans... they really fill me up.  I also juice a lot.  I find it very filling.  

Regarding your training plan, That's exactly what I'd do.

2011-12-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3948708

nice jobaxas.
2011-12-22 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3949004

seankanary:

That's funny.  I'm a recent transplant to Boone (5yrs ago), but oddly enough a few folks I've known in Boone have moved to AZ in that time.  I don't think I knew horsehit though!

dk

2011-12-22 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3944270

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada
bmeere - 2011-12-19 12:46 PM

Shane, I'd love to join your group...

Story - Pretty new to tri's, having completed a sprint and Oly race in the last 2 years.  Started off running and training for a 10k local running race having quit smoking and needing to lose some weight.  Once I completed the race it occurred to me that I needed to focus on something else.  Enter: Triathlon.  I am a fairly busy, married man with a 10 year old daughter that loves to play sports and has taken a bit of an interest in tri's herself and has competed in the local Ironkids race for the last 2 years. 

Current Training: Currently doing Insanity to try and drop some weight, which I need to do desperately.  I am about 20lbs over weight.  After the holidays, I will reinstate runs and bike rides on my trainer (I live in Ontario, Canada so I'm forced indoors for the next couple of months)  Am looking forwards to approx 12-15 hrs a week of work

2012 races: Plan on 2-3 sprint/Oly races and would hopefully be able to race a HIM near the end of the season.  I had planned on Augusta, just have to come up with the $$$$

Hi Bryan, 

I am intrigued by your signature and the comment w/r to your Goderich Oly. Would you share with us the story? 

Fred

2011-12-23 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3948972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

I missed this one.  You'll read this a million times.  Trust your plan.  If you don't trust it, don't use it.  If you use it, trust it.  Volume is obviously important, but not as important as consistency.

2011-12-23 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
I was lucky enough to get out for a 2 hour trail run this morning. It was sunny and 50 degrees and beautiful. It rained last night so the trail was soft and muddy....so much fun and a great workout. I hope everyone has a great Christmas weekend.

2011-12-23 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3951492

Regular
Indiana

That sounds like an awesome run today.

I am planning on getting out tomorrow after my spin class. Of course here in grey sky Indiana I am not sure I will have a day as nice as you had.

I am looking forward to next week when  training buddy has challenged me to an indoor sprint tri.

We are going to meet at the pool for a 500yd. swim followed by a 13.5 mi. bike and then off to a 5k.

I am so excited and ready. Of course I plan to keep it slow and steady so i don't pull a hammy.

What are the rest of you planning doing over the next week?

2011-12-23 3:25 PM

User image

Elite

Well I didn't time my 1km swim as I don't own a waterproof watch system yet...it's on my list!  Any ideas on what watch to get?  I want one that works on land and in water with GPS etc.

BUT for the whole night's squad which includes some hanging around listening to coach Johnny, we did 2.5km in probably around 1 hour 15mins.  In the pool we do about 3km in 1 hour 20mins but again to stop and change equipment and workout what's next.

Southern hemisphere is awesome this time of year, though too hot for running any time after about 6am!

Haven't trained since Wednesday - Xmas party Thursday, Friday splashed in my pool all day with my daughter (sometimes you have to be a little less selfish!), then spent the whole night wrapping presents, curling ribbon etc.

Today - well I have neighbours coming tonight for drinks and nibbles, and I also have to pack as we leave for vacation Monday 5.45am!  Not sure if I'll get in a session today, but if I do it's likely to be the windtrainer.

Enjoy your days....

Jojo

xx

2011-12-23 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3945679

Regular
Indiana

Hi Dave. I just noticed that you are planning on doing the Indy Mini in 2012. I have already signed up and getting ready to start my HIM and mini marathon training in full swing on 1/1.

This will be the longest I have ever run and hopefully getting me ready for my first OLY and HIM later in the year.

Have you ever ran a mini marathon before?

2011-12-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3951492

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Way to go Johnny, sounds like a fun run, and 2h is sure a solid work-out!

Happy Christmas to you all and your families.

2011-12-23 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3951714

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Mirkar,

we at last get snow in Montreal today, so tomorrow I think we'll throw a battle of snowballs with the kids in the backyard.  Might be a short one as it will be 14F in the afternoon and we had unusually warm temperatures so far, so not used to it so far.

As for the week, I am looking forward to trying my new KK road machine trainer (bought it today). I do not know  if it will fit under the Christmas tree :-)

Enjoy your indoor tri!

Happy holidays.

2011-12-24 6:37 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. I'm spending the weekend in Madison, WI with my family, including a trip to Green Bay for Bears-Packers with my Dad. (me-bears, dad- pack, in case you were wondering). I was planning to get my last run of the week in yesterday morning, but Emily through a fit, so i didn't get it in and thus had to bring my stuff with me. Planning to head out in the cold here soon. Why can't kids just stay asleep during Christmas week? Mikar - that's great that you're signed up for Indy! I am registered as well. I'm using family visits and/or vacation as a bargaining chip to do more races this coming year, and Kristin has family in Rushville, so this was a good opportunity. I've done one half marathon just this past November in Aurora, IL - it was chilly with a nasty headwind on the second half of the course but I finished. Used Hal higdon's novice 2 half program. We'll have to meet up before and/or after the race. Have fun with your indoor tri!Looks like others are enjoying some great swims, trail runs, and trainer rides ( my cheapy Ascent trainer is jealous of your KK!) - think i'll try to get my run in now. Have a great weekend!Dave
2011-12-26 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Christmas was fun, but I woke up this morning with the thought that I don't deserve a body capable of doing triathlons of I'm going to abuse it like I did this weekend. I overindulged way too much on food, cookies, and alcohol. I did some repeats for recompense today, but I really need to find a way to go into the New Year with a lot more discipline. I hope everyone else had a great weekend and doesn't feel as bad as I did this morning.
2011-12-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3953913

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

johnnyfulltime - 2011-12-26 10:33 AM Christmas was fun, but I woke up this morning with the thought that I don't deserve a body capable of doing triathlons of I'm going to abuse it like I did this weekend. I overindulged way too much on food, cookies, and alcohol. I did some repeats for recompense today, but I really need to find a way to go into the New Year with a lot more discipline. I hope everyone else had a great weekend and doesn't feel as bad as I did this morning.

Hi Johnny,

I find that some type of foods can affect my mood (low following the high) and the Christmas period certainly brings a lot of opportunities to over-indulge. So I say do not beat yourself over-it, just use the extra calories to fuel another long run if you have the opportunity.

Here, I spent more time than planned trying to set-up my bike trainer. I have a purpose-built training tire that was folded in its small package, and it took me forever to swap the the tires. I am so NOT looking forward to get a flat in real conditions.... So I could experience my first 30 minutes of training. Much more challenging than I expected! Bike is my weakest sport, so I am very excited to be able to bank bike hours before the spring.

Having said that, I do not see myself swapping the tires every-time I want to go outdoor. Are you guys using a spare wheel/cassette/tire for indoor?

Fred

2011-12-27 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Johnny - don't feel so bad about your weekend - check out the "Christmas Confessions" thread under Triathlon Talk and you'll feel better!    I also over-indulged this weekend with way too many sweets, although I didn't do too terribly on the alcohol.  I also took some time off from workouts, which was kinda nice.  I was aware of what I was eating all weekend, but I didn't much care.  A year ago I had the "must be good" attitude, but I'm realizing that as long as I don't make eating like that a habit, I'm not going to worry.  But it was great to get back at it this morning - tried a sufferfest video - Downward Spiral.  It was a great workout and I really like those videos - nice to have a distraction.  I'm planning to go at it hard this week before Christmas II starts on Friday with the in-law's.  Ugh.  I am hoping to do better eating-wise this weekend than the past one....we'll see how it goes!

Fred - I don't have a rear wheel setup like you mention, but I would love to have one.  I need to learn more about my bike in general in terms of maintenance and taking apart/putting together as I'm scared to hardly do more than pump the tires for fear of breaking something.  Any tips on bike care/maintenance/set-up would be great.  Just to show my ignorance, it looks like you have to remove the chain to remove the rear wheel, right?  I'm already nervous.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14