United States
Wildwood Naturists Resort - AANR
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 3s
Overall Rank = 14/112
Age Group = M 19-29
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Drove from race #1 (aquathlon) in McKinney to race #2 in Decatur. Stopped along the way to grab a sandwich and some fries because Haley(Comet) and I had to have something in our stomachs before we raced again.

Got to the small country rode which took us into the Wildwood Naturist Resort. As we turned past the entry gate and saw the sign that said "Warning: Nudity May Be Seen Past This Point" the butterflies started to flutter in my gut. Was I really about to do this?

As we neared the parking lot we could see the orange flag that marked the course along the road. Then I look up and see a naked man running towards us. 'OMG! I'm really about to do this!', I thought.

Then I said to Haley, "Hey! That guy looks like my buddy Trey you met at the duathlon. Hmmm, he has he number written on his leg and his name on his chest. Weird; his name is Trey too!" We drive past the guy and I turn around and see the familiar tattos that mark my friend from school.

"OMG! IT IS MY BUDDY TREY!!!!"

We laugh hysterically as we pull into the parking lot. Not only did I see someone that I knew at the one race I thought I wouldn't get recognized at, but he was the very first naked person we saw!
Event warmup:

Got out of the car and kept on laughing that Trey was here too. I went over to say hi and Trey couldn't stop laughing either. Neither of us had told the other that we woudl be here so it was a huge shock to us both.

We went inside to pick-up our packets and get body marked. Not only were there race numbers in our packet, but there was a race shirt and it was long sleeved!

Got in line to be marked and took my BT tri top off from that morning's race. I'm down to my BT tri shorts and a naked woman is writing my name on my chest. How did I get talked into this?

Ran into Trey in the hallway (he was wearing a towel this time) and we were both still in shock over the situation. Headed out to the Mini to throw all our extra stuff inside and finally get into 'uniform'.

Got changed and slathered in Body Glide and sun screen. Walked down to Trey's truck to get an update on the NFL draft situation. There were only at #10 and the Cowboys didn't pick in the first round until #18 so I really didn't care that much.

Stood around and talked with people for a while before we all finally lined up. Left our towels on the Mini's bike rack and it was time to race! ...naked!
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out on the outside of the pack, near the front. I had seen the previous year's results and I knew that I could run with the front pack at a race like this. Within the first few hundred meters I had passed a handfull of people and there were 8 guys in front of me.

I really thought hard about sprinting out ahead just so I could say that at one point in my life I was leading a nude 5K. I decided against it so that wouldn't risk blowing up. I had to do well in my age group at something like this.

Turned off the main road and headed into the woods. Most of the run was on a dirt trail that wound back and forth through the woods with a fair share of small hills.

I got passed by one guy on the first hill and another on the second. I could feel that I had started out too fast but I wouldn't know how much until the first mile. Grabbed a cup of water at the first aid station and reached mile 1 in 7:10.

Wow! That's a pretty fast mile for me but there's now way I could hold that pace. I slowed myself down to a more controled tempo. At the 2K marker we ran uphill and I caught two guys in front of me. I knew I was still right around tenth overall and I could hold this pace from here on out.

The second aid station was at mile 1.5 and as we ran back into the woods my flag got snagged on a tree branch! It was covered in thorns and I had to stop and pull each thrown out to keep my flag from ripping. Who knows how many people had passed me as I lost time dealing with this.

From here on out I kept my flag lower and ran on the far side of the path to keep the flag from snagging again. We twisted back and forth through the woods and all the turning and off-camber sections were really doing a number on my ankle.

Mile 2 (8:15) was another aid station and I was hurting. But there was only one more mile left and I could at least hang on to whatever place I was in. I passed the one other runner on the trail wearing a heart rate monitor and we each told the other 'great work' as we passed.

Running along the edge of the woods now I could feel the full force of the wind. Trying to carry a large flag in wind like this was making a noticable difference in my pace. I could feel myself leaning into the wind to try and fight it.

At the last water station the first place female caught up with me. I congratulated her and decided that I would use her as my pacer from here on out.

The course wound back around and I could see the back of the front of the pack / front of the middle of the pack runners coming out of the woods. I saw Haley and gave her a quick wave before I had to turn back into the wind as we crossed the field.

The lead female was getting away from me so I tried to match her stride for stride. We turned just before the parking lot and thankfullly I finally got away from the wind.

We got back onto the road and I quickly passed the former pacer and felt great heading for the mile 3 marker (8:05). Came around the final curve and crossed the finish line in just over 24 minutes. Trey was there waiting for me as well as Matt, the guy I met in the parking lot who was my only age group competition. So I didn't win my AG but I'll gladly take second place hardware from a nude run!
What would you do differently?:

Started off too fast. If I would have ran a more controlled race I could have finished in the top ten. Oh, and I shouldn't have had that sandwich and fries.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and talked with Trey and Matt. Matt won our AG and Trey came in 3rd overall. It was just a few minutes later Haley finished and was easily in the top ten females.

We all stood around talking for a while before we headed inside for the post-race food and the awards ceremony. Trey won his AG, Matt won his AG, Haley won her AG and I got second in my AG. A pretty impressive day for us all.

Afterwards we took the group photo (nude) and then Haley and I had to get on the road (clothed). I was an official pacer for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon the next day and had to get my packet before the expo closed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ran the first mile too fast.

Event comments:

This race was a blast! So much fun and no one there feels uncomfortable. The only ackward moment was afterwards when Matt, Trey and I were talking with the two girls who raced fullly clothed. The weird part was that it seemed like they were out of place. We were all totally comfortable and we felt a little embarassed for them. Crazy.

Last updated: 2006-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:03 | 03.11 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 14/112
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 163
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-03 9:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-05-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: #413355

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Skinnydipper Sun Run

How come no one wants to reply here?

The lead female was getting away from me so I tried to match her stride for stride.

Glad you had a rabbit to chase...

Glad your flag pole didn't get in the way too much.

Great job, you ran a great race and thanks for coming with me and making it more fun!

Edited by Comet 2006-05-03 9:55 AM
2006-05-03 9:52 AM

Buttercup

a) Were you wearing a race belt/bib?

b) When are you posting your album?

2006-05-03 9:56 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I honestly thought it was a joke- i didnt believe it when i saw it on your races but that's wild!  I cant, and not sure if i want to, imagine it!

2006-05-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: #413419

2006-05-03 10:16 AM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

ya'll make it sound like everyone should do these once in their life.  ummmm... there's a couple coming up..  HEy, Tampa peeps!! 

2006-05-03 10:19 AM

Veteran
Iowa
I want to do a nude race. What fun!
2006-05-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: #413428

Buttercup
JeepFleeb - 2006-05-03 10:59 AM

and a smile.

And a lovely smile it is!

2006-05-03 10:44 AM

Elite
South Florida
In Tampa we got a pirate medal, in Disney you got Mickey - what kind of medal did you get at this race?? You guys are brave - I feel like an old lady when I think there is no way I would ever do that!
2006-05-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: #413459

Giver

jennrs - 2006-05-03 11:19 AM I want to do a nude race. What fun!

Hmmm....brain working. Idea coming....

NUDE BT RACE!

<it would shake the very foundation of BT, and change the site as we know it forever.>

2006-05-04 4:01 PM

Elite
Hendersonville
Congrats on your first naked race! You guys are awesome. Hope your flag is ok from all those thorns.

2006-05-04 4:38 PM

Expert
Northern VA
So did anything, uh, hurt after the run? Stuff that usually has a bit more support when racing?
2006-05-05 11:00 AM

Elite
Raleigh

LOL I remember you saying you were going to do one of these... How funny you got to see a guy you knew there... you bunch of freaks... I love ya...

Now I am sold and will have to do one...

When are you posting the race pics?

2006-05-05 1:22 PM

Expert
St. Louis
At first, I thought that you meant that your "flag" got snagged by thorns, at which point I was wincing in pain for you. And then I realized, that by "flag," you meant flag, and I remembered that you carry at flag at every race. Anyway, glad to hear that both your "flag" and flag, will live to race again.
~B
2006-05-05 6:44 PM

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Pictures or it didn't happen ;-)
2006-05-05 6:55 PM
in reply to: #416320

General Discussion-> Race Reports!