General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tribike vs road bike debate for relative newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-12-26 6:24 AM

Subject: tribike vs road bike debate for relative newbie

I'm in the market to  get a new bike. I got into triathlon last season and did several sprints on a 20 yr old road bike with shifters on the down bar (cleaned it up a bit, new tires,cables etc. before last season). Did fine on it,solid MOP finisher even a bit above MOP on the ride.  My goal this year is to try an OLY hoping to still be MOP or better but not expecting or looking to stand on a podium...at this point no goals to do an IM or HIM (mainly b/c I'm not the best runner...running, pardon the pun, is my achillies). So I think it's time for a new (or more modern) bike.

I've gone into LBSs and talked to some local triclub people about an new bike and most (not all) suggest just getting a good road bike and putting aerobars on it as it is a more versatile option for someone like me at this point. I got on both at  a LBS and maybe the angle was steeper but the tribike (I'd never been on one) was a bit awkward for me (I guess one gets use to it). One LBS guy said he thought aerobars were unsafe because of the need to move your hands from the bar to the hoods if you need to break but it doesn't seem that a tribike is any safer as you also have to move your hands to the outer bars for breaking...only advantage is it seems shifting is easier as shifters are on the front bar.

Any opinions for someone who is just getting into the sport, is perfectly happy finishing being a MOPer or slightly better but not necessarily in it to win, and probobly will not go beyond the OLY level (but who knows - never thought I'd want to go beyond sprint and that quickly changed after one season).

2011-12-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3953761

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
Subject: RE: tribike vs road bike debate for relative newbie

I might be among the minority, but I say go for the tri bike. If you do decided to keep going in tri's you will eventually want one. You will be a bit quicker on it even if you were to have a roadie with aerobars (did that and still faster on the tri bike).

I found for me that my tri bike is more comfortable on longer rides. I guess it just fits me right.

2011-12-26 11:37 AM

User image

New user
Long Island

It depends on how serious you think you're going to get about the sport.  I just finished my first season, and I decided to upgrade my road bike instead of getting a tri bike.  I dont know what kind of budget you're looking at but many bike companies are coming out with aero road bikes to cater to people like us getting into tri's, but not too sure about the tri bike.  I got the felt AR5 with clip ons and you can only really tell it's a road bike because it has the drops.  When I decide to do move up to HIM/IM from sprints/oly (in a year or two), I'll upgrade to the tri bike...and still have a good road bike to fall back on.

So, In short, I'd recommend a road bike with clip ons.  And look into an aero road bike if you've got the dough.

2011-12-26 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

You are buying the bike for the purpose of doing races so I would ask yourself what is your reason for NOT getting the tri bike over the road bike?  For example if you think you will participate in a lot of group rides you will probably want a road bike (you could use your old one mind you).

If it were me, I'd get the tri bike (says the guy that first bought a road bike when in your situation).

Good luck with whatever you go with. 

2011-12-26 1:30 PM

Master

Tribike. 

I know roadies say 'it's more flexible' because you can ride it in tight pacelines (road bike), but if you're happy on being a good MOPer, its doubtful that you'll be riding in those super tight and fast competitive roadie pacelines. 

Having ridden in many pacelines from average to very fast, on both road and TT bike, I can say that unless you're a FOPer on the bike, the group rides you'll be on will likely be casual enough that it's not a problem to ride a TT bike. 

If you have you eye on a few fast group rides with competitive road cyclists, then you should get the road bike, as they won't be as happy about the aerobike in the pack. These guys typically ride 22+mph in a flat paceline - I haven't been in one thats' been that serious that has gone under 20mph.

2011-12-26 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
gzh6464 - 2011-12-26 4:24 AM

One LBS guy said he thought aerobars were unsafe because of the need to move your hands from the bar to the hoods if you need to brake but it doesn't seem that a tribike is any safer as you also have to move your hands to the outer bars for breaking...only advantage is it seems shifting is easier as shifters are on the front bar. 

By definition, using  any aerobars (road bike or tri bike) is less safe than having your hands on the brakes.  That doesn't mean aerobars are unsafe - there's a spectrum.  I'm experienced, I know when I can safely use the aerobars and when I shouldn't, and I can get to the brakes quickly.  As a beginner, you'd have to learn that skill and that will take you somewhere between a couple hundred and a couple thousand miles of riding.

The best possible answer to "tri bike or road bike" is always "both".  If you can't do both for whatever reason, then the answer everyone is going to give you is "it depends on what you want to do with it" followed by their personal reasons for why they chose a road bike or a tri bike.

In general, a lot of people active in triathlon first buy a road bike, then later either swap it for a tri bike (and eat the $$$ loss), or later buy a tri bike and thus have both.  Me, I started road cycling with a low-end $1000 road bike in 2001, used it up to my first few triathlons.  In 2003 I traded up to a $3000 road bike that I still own, and used that up to my first Ironman in 2006.  In 2007 I bought a Cervelo P3C that I still own, and I've used that since for more than a dozen HIMs and IMs.

The sole advantage of a tri bike is that it's designed to enable you to ride comfortably in the aero position for long periods of time. A road bike, even with aerobars, is in general not going to be as comfortable because it's a compromise - you're riding aero on a bike geometry designed for more upright riding.  Aero is always an advantage over non aero, and the longer the race the more advantage being comfortable in aero, so you see many tri bikes at HIM and IM races where you're on the bike 2.5 - 6 hours (or more).

If the primary purpose of your bike will be triathlon training and racing, and you want to have one bike that does that well, then I suggest you strongly consider a tri bike.  You can always keep your existing bike and thus have both.

Edited by brucemorgan 2011-12-26 2:24 PM

2011-12-26 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
IME most athletes will be best served with a road bike and later adding a tribike if they decide they want one. While there are athletes who will only have a tribike and will have no issues, I believe that most will be better learning to ride and race on the road with a road bike and then deciding if they want a tribike.

Shane
2011-12-26 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

If you want to do group rides and be social with your riding get a road bike.

If you strictly want it for triathlons and training solo, get a tri bike.

If you can justify getting both, DO IT

2011-12-26 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
It's not so much comfort on long rides. The geometry of the TT vs the road is that the angle of the torso to the hips is more open allowing for more power output while in the aero position. Comfort really isn't a factor unless you have a big belly to get in the way of being down in aero in which case both are going to be uncomfortable. If all you are doing in Oly's and are happy being in the MOP, then the roadie is definitely what you want. As mentioned above, if you plan on doing a lot of long course, and want to be FOP, then go with the TT bike.

Edited by mroger82 2011-12-26 5:12 PM
2011-12-26 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

When I signed up for my first tri, I had no bike so I went out looking and I figured... I'm going tris so I need a tri bike, right? Then I found out that for some tri courses a road bike will actually perform better.

After a lot of research, I decided to get a road bike because it's more versatile. I never ended up putting aero bars on it but I was eventually given a second bike, also a road bike, but designed more for racing and I put aero bars on that and have done two IMs and a number of HIMs and Century rides on it.

What I found is that different bikes work well for different uses but it's not as simple as tri bike for tris. The hillier the course is, the better a road bike will perform over a tri bike, for example.

2011-12-26 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3954328

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
MacMadame - 2011-12-26 6:15 PM

When I signed up for my first tri, I had no bike so I went out looking and I figured... I'm going tris so I need a tri bike, right? Then I found out that for some tri courses a road bike will actually perform better.

After a lot of research, I decided to get a road bike because it's more versatile. I never ended up putting aero bars on it but I was eventually given a second bike, also a road bike, but designed more for racing and I put aero bars on that and have done two IMs and a number of HIMs and Century rides on it.

What I found is that different bikes work well for different uses but it's not as simple as tri bike for tris. The hillier the course is, the better a road bike will perform over a tri bike, for example.

I disagree with this statement.  Granted, there will be no aero advantage if you climb out of the bars, but I believe it is a wash as far as speed goes going up, and there is a big aero advantage going down.  

2011-12-26 5:27 PM

User image

Medford Oregon
I would get a sweet TT bike that fits you like a glove and that you can ride fast on and training spins.....then get a secondary (maybe used) road bike for group rides and as a back up.
2011-12-26 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Sounds to me like you are doing fine with your present.  Having said that, however, I realise that you are probably like all of us and lust for a shinier piece of equipment.  The answer depends on your finances as much as your resolve to do triathlons forever or until you get tired of doing them.   If you can afford it, get both a tribike and a road bike.  I never regretted dropping a large sum for my tri bike or my road bike.  If your finances will not allow you to purchase two bikes, then you will have to decide which is more important to you, road cycling or doing triathlons.  You could also look at the Cervelo S2, which is a great road bike that converts to a great tribike.  In the end, only you can decide what you really want to buy, based on whatever criteria you have.
2011-12-26 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3954229

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

gsmacleod - 2011-12-26 4:27 PM IME most athletes will be best served with a road bike and later adding a tribike if they decide they want one. While there are athletes who will only have a tribike and will have no issues, I believe that most will be better learning to ride and race on the road with a road bike and then deciding if they want a tribike. Shane

X2.  A lot depends on your goals and type of riding you do.  A road bike will likely give you more riding options as well (group rides, road races, dirt roads, etc).  There is no magic distance that says you should now use a tri bike if you do this distance.  People use road bikes from sprints thru IM. 

For shorter distance events (like sprint and Oly), having a tri bike vs. road bike might save you a few minutes at best.  So if time goals or making the podium are not really goals for you, there may not be a real advantage.

For reference, I used my road bike for my first year doing sprints and oly's.  I added a tri bike this year since making the podium was one of my goals, but I do most of my summer training on my road bike still.

2011-12-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3954323

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

mroger82 - 2011-12-26 3:10 PM It's not so much comfort on long rides. The geometry of the TT vs the road is that the angle of the torso to the hips is more open allowing for more power output while in the aero position. Comfort really isn't a factor unless you have a big belly to get in the way of being down in aero in which case both are going to be uncomfortable. If all you are doing in Oly's and are happy being in the MOP, then the roadie is definitely what you want. As mentioned above, if you plan on doing a lot of long course, and want to be FOP, then go with the TT bike.

Yes, but that's my point.  The ability to generate power in the aero position is what I mean by being comfortable. 

I'm not talking living room couch comfortable.  I'm talking being able to hold say 175 or 200 or 225 watts for hours while in aero. All things being equal (and they never are, but that's not relevant) then a tri bike will be make holding that given power output while in aero more comfortable than a road bike with clip-ons.

I always liked this graphic.  It illustrates why a tri bike is more comfortable in aero than a road bike by highlighting the geometry differences. You can try to keep an open hip angle on a road bike with aerobars by moving the seat forward (on the rails, fast forward seatpost, etc), but really it's a compromise.  A road frame just isn't built to ride aero.

And it's not really about being FOP.  Everyone, slow or fast, can benefit from aero position riding. Even slow riders often ride into headwinds, and aero can make a large difference there.

Edited by brucemorgan 2011-12-26 7:24 PM

(bike_geometry_overlay-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike_geometry_overlay-2.jpg (85KB - 6 downloads)
2011-12-27 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3954451

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
I agree with you Bruce, wasn't too sure what you meant by comfort in your original post. I like that graphic too.

2011-12-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3954336

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Yes, I disagree with the hill statement also. Maybe what she meant is a more technical course with multiple tight turns. A roadie will always out perform a TT in that situation due to weight shifted rearward on the roadie making it easier to turn the front of the bike.
2011-12-27 10:09 AM

User image

Pro

I got back into tri's on an old road bike. Like you, I decided to upgrade and bought a new road bike. $1250.00.  I enjoyed my new road bike but decided I'd be more comfortable on a carbon road bike. $2800.00.  Then I started doing long course training and raced an HIM and decided I enjoyed it so much I'd need a tri bike. $3800.00.  Of course, I started looking for some race wheels and found a good set used. $1400.00.  Things were getting stupid but my son came of age and wanted to start doing some tri's so he got my "old" bikes to use.  Then he got really fast really quick and decided he needed a tri bike. $2750.00.  Of course he needed some wheels for Christmas. $1000.00. 

There was a day, not long ago, when I drove a Ford F350 Turbo Diesel truck and had no bikes. 

Now I drive a 1991 Dodge Dakota.

I need help.

Edited by Left Brain 2011-12-27 10:10 AM
2011-12-27 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Get a decent road bike with aerobars.  If you train hard you will be nearly as fast as the guys with equal fitness on the TT bikes.  If you get a pro fit with aerobars that will go a long way.  Fit is very important as the LBS guys should have indicated.

If you don't aspire to do group rides and really only want to ride just to do triathlon training, that's a good justification to get a TT bike.  But a few months, or a year from now your thoughts could change.  If you train hard, get fast on the roadie and end up near that podium, then maybe the TT bike is that final edge you will need to get there.

But also, TT bike look COOL! so you have to consider the coolness factor too.

If you end up going beyond the OLY level you will need some serious miles during training.  Often times those miles might end up being on group rides with "roadies" where a TT bike might not blend well with that crowd, just saying.

I have the least expensive aerobars without bar end shifters, works fine for me.  I've done 50 mile+ training rides that way, plenty safe.

2011-12-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3955144

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Left Brain - 2011-12-27 10:09 AM

I got back into tri's on an old road bike. Like you, I decided to upgrade and bought a new road bike. $1250.00.  I enjoyed my new road bike but decided I'd be more comfortable on a carbon road bike. $2800.00.  Then I started doing long course training and raced an HIM and decided I enjoyed it so much I'd need a tri bike. $3800.00.  Of course, I started looking for some race wheels and found a good set used. $1400.00.  Things were getting stupid but my son came of age and wanted to start doing some tri's so he got my "old" bikes to use.  Then he got really fast really quick and decided he needed a tri bike. $2750.00.  Of course he needed some wheels for Christmas. $1000.00. 

There was a day, not long ago, when I drove a Ford F350 Turbo Diesel truck and had no bikes. 

I need help.

Very first road bike $1250

Triathlon related bike investments since then $11,750

Having a son who participates in a healthy lifestyle ......Priceless

Edited by reecealan 2011-12-27 10:30 AM
2011-12-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3954336

rsmoylan - 2011-12-26 5:22 PM 

I disagree with this statement.  Granted, there will be no aero advantage if you climb out of the bars, but I believe it is a wash as far as speed goes going up, and there is a big aero advantage going down.  

I don't know about that~ If there are curves, the road bike is going to be faster unless you have nerves of steel and good handling skills. Even if the downhill is flat, if you can get into the balled up position on a road bike where your butt is on the top tube, elbows tucked in, eyes peering just over the top tube and back straight... I'd say it's almost the same as a TT bike (or maybe even faster).

For OP, if you've been racing tri's and you've liked them, I would get the TT bike. I didn't know how much fun they were and once I tried one, I was kicking myself. Luckily, I'm about to purchase one soon... Fulfillment of the n + 1 rule!

Edited by renesis 2011-12-27 10:35 AM

2011-12-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3955185

User image

Pro

Edited by Left Brain 2011-12-27 10:35 AM
2011-12-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3955185

User image

Pro
reecealan - 2011-12-27 10:30 AM
Left Brain - 2011-12-27 10:09 AM

I need help.

Very first road bike $1250

Triathlon related bike investments since then $11,750

Having a son who participates in a healthy lifestyle ......Priceless

No doubt.  My son just turned 14 and we are having a blast.  We'll travel the midwest this year racing together.  As you say, there is no amount of money I could throw out the window as we drive down the road that would equal the value of the time we are sharing together.  What a hoot!

As to the OP, just so I don't feel like I'm stealing your thread.  Tri bikes are fun to ride. You already have a road bike.  You're going to want a tri bike if you keep going forward.  You just will.  Pay now, or pay now and then pay later some more.

2011-12-27 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3955201

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
renesis - 2011-12-27 11:34 AM
rsmoylan - 2011-12-26 5:22 PM 

I don't know about that~ If there are curves, the road bike is going to be faster unless you have nerves of steel and good handling skills. Even if the downhill is flat, if you can get into the balled up position on a road bike where your butt is on the top tube, elbows tucked in, eyes peering just over the top tube and back straight... I'd say it's almost the same as a TT bike (or maybe even faster).

For OP, if you've been racing tri's and you've liked them, I would get the TT bike. I didn't know how much fun they were and once I tried one, I was kicking myself. Luckily, I'm about to purchase one soon... Fulfillment of the n + 1 rule!

You're saying I have nerves of steel by riding my aerobars downhill, and you are sitting on the top tube of your road bike while peering over the bars.  Really?  A well fit TT bike should handle no differently and will be faster.  The only consideration is comfort.  If you are riding out of the bars a lot, a road bike will be more comfortable.

Edited by rsmoylan 2011-12-27 7:48 PM
2011-12-27 9:04 PM

User image

Pro

I have a new road bike. Last year I started with triathlon. I am extremely happy that I own that bike, it's a Cervelo R3 and for group and long rides it's an amazing piece of machinery. This year I plan on moving to longer courses, my goal being a HIM. I also want to do some time trials. I want a tri bike. It's the right piece of equipment for those goals.

If you're testing the waters with triathlon, a road bike is just fine. Put aerobars on it and do sprints and Oly's. If you find you don't enjoy it, no harm, you still have a road bike. But like almost everyone else here, if you enjoy the challenge of triathlon you're going to want a tri bike. In a year or less.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tribike vs road bike debate for relative newbie Rss Feed  

of 2