BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-05-07 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4729355

Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
Wow, Fit. Pretty impressive. I had no idea one could even do 54 mph on a bike! I've been trying to imagine that speed on my bike and the word "squirrely" comes to mind which basically means I would inevitably crash.I'm less than two weeks now from my big race, HIM Florida. Am I ready? I seriously have no idea. I've decided it's a go in terms of making the trip but I still have so many reservations. I live in North Carolina and I had assumed I would have gotten some decent warm weather training in by now to help replicate Florida conditions. Well, wouldn't you know we've had one of the cooler seasons on record. That worries me. Also, a bulging disc issue is rearing it's ugly head and giving me some problems in this last week of heavy training. Swimming still stinks for me even though I FEEL like I'm getting faster and stronger. Then the little ol' lady passes me in the next lane and boots me back to reality. So, no idea.Meanwhile, I love reading everybody's training and race progress. It's so inspiring.

2013-05-08 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Extreme Veteran

Fit - great job on your bike race!  I too can't image going 54 mph on a bike without crashing.  You are one tough cookie to hang in there with the leaders. 

Chunkybaby - Just go into your race like you are there to have fun and don't worry about anything else.  That little old lady might passed you but can she keep it up for that long?  We play so many mind games with ourselves.  I agree with you on this weather, living in SC this spring has been more like winter and rainy.  The last two weekends has been a washed with all the rain.

2013-05-09 10:14 AM

Uxbridge

WOOOO HOOOOO Lou! I heard the winds were really rough at that race ( have a friend who did it) Congrats on finishing

Mark....that is crazy fast!!! I once hit 50 coming down an big hill and have absolutely NO desire to do it again!!!!

Chunky...good luck at your race. Dont hesitate....just do it!!! Watch out for us "old ladies"...we come from behind!!!!!

I have found a lake I can swim in that is 3 miles from my house. I have never tried to go there before because there is no "public access. But after driving around it I found a small gravel path which I can walk. I met a scuba diver who said the residents wont care if AI swim as long as I use the path. This is so awesome because there are very few boats and it is .5 miles long. The huge time suck of driving to swim is over!!!!

2013-05-09 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

CB  Have a great race!  Pace yourself and stay on top of your nutrition.  Have fun!!  You are an incredible inspiration.

I also can't imagine 54 mph on my bike.  I brake when I hit 30.  

Welcome back Mav!!  It's great to see people online again.  

Lou, keep on keepin on.  You will only get stronger.  

I too hope Lena is out there.  Maybe she is busy baking away.

First big race is coming up for me.  June 1st, Rev in CT.  Oly distance with mega hills, by my standards.  Did it for the first time last year in the pouring rain.  So I figure I have to do better if I'm not braking all the time.  I'm just worried about the cold water.  It was pouring last year but the water was warm.  We have had a cold spring here in the Northeast.  I haven't even done an OWS yet.  Trying to borrow a long sleeve wet suit.  Mine is sleeveless. Brrrr!

Be well every one!

ann

2013-05-09 4:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Keep it up people. Great job LoU. Go CB Go.

I did get a finish line with the Cinco de Miler. A fun 5 mile run.
2013-05-09 4:39 PM

Orlando

Yes 2 VERY important lessons I learned on that Triathlon.

1- no matter how unconfortable I am.. when there is a 30 mile an hour headwind in your face you HAVE to crouch over in your aero bars and not stay straight up or PAIN will follow.

2- In an event where you are on your bike for 2.5 hours and running for another 75 minutes..... WEAR SUNBLOCK. 

As you all might of figured out by now.. I am very hardheaded and where that advise might of been told to me already.. now it is imbeded in my brain for good..

2013-05-09 11:14 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley

Lou some people just have to learn the hard way but like you said you won't forget it.

LRR- Good job on your finish line.

CB-Don't worry about other and just go have fun and learn. That's what this is all about.

Edited by phildampier 2013-05-09 11:15 PM
2013-05-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4736025

Ok, one week to go until my big 70.3 challenge. I have definitely decided to go and the encouragement I have gotten here played a big part in making that decision. So thank you.

At this point the miles have been put in and the sweat expended so this week I'm trying to focus on the other stuff...like bike tires. My goal is to finish this race and I'm not exactly the most mechanically inclined, so anything I can do to decrease the possibility of getting a flat tire the better. 

I now have about 1100 miles on my bike tires with the good majority being from my trainer rides this winter. They are regular road tires and tubes. I also have Continental Gatorskins and puncture resistant tubes so what configuration would be best? Gatorskin tires with regular tubes? Stronger tubes and regular race tires? Gatorskin tires and stronger tubes which might be a tad overkill and much heavier than what I have now? I want to try and get this sorted out early this week so I can get a few rides in with the race setup. What do you think? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I know, my newbie-ness is showing again. 

Carolyn

2013-05-13 8:40 AM

User image

Expert

Carolyn,

Congrats on making the decision to go and race.  Just take it bit by bit.  As far as the tires, I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on brands, etc., but the best thing to do if your current tires have 1100 miles on them is at least go get some new tires.  Good luck.

I also want to add another finish line.  I decided last minute to enter a 5K race my ART doc put on.  It was a costume race and if you didn't run in a costume, 5 minutes got added to your total time for the results.  I didn't need 5 minutes added to my time, so I raided the Halloween box to find something.  It was a very small race (30-40 people total, but I came in 1st place in my age group and 7th place overall.  Wahoo!!!  My time was 26:44.

2013-05-13 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Carolyn, so glad you are deciding to go for it.  What is your number so we can track you.  That is is you want us to.  

As for the tires, can't help you there as I always listen to the advise of my LBS.  I am totally clueless on this and have to trust them.  But it does sound like you need new tires.  

Good luck and remember have fun!

2013-05-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4739507

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations Briana!  I love those small races as you feel like a winner.

bar92 - 2013-05-13 9:40 AM

I also want to add another finish line.  I decided last minute to enter a 5K race my ART doc put on.  It was a costume race and if you didn't run in a costume, 5 minutes got added to your total time for the results.  I didn't need 5 minutes added to my time, so I raided the Halloween box to find something.  It was a very small race (30-40 people total, but I came in 1st place in my age group and 7th place overall.  Wahoo!!!  My time was 26:44.

2013-05-13 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
If you are just wanting to finish and not have a flat, then Gatorskins are your best bet.  You may lose 30 seconds on teh course from less efficient tires but that beats 30 minutes trying to repair a flat.
2013-05-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4740367

Thanks for the tire input. I guess I'll put the Gatorskins on tomorrow...and by "I", I mean my husband. Like I said, I'm seriously mechanically challenged.Krazy - My race number is 109. I haven't even told people I know that I'm doing this race but everybody here has been so helpful and encouraging that I feel like you're all part of the adventure anyway.Bar92 - Great job on your 5k!!! Sounds like a fun race for sure.Carolyn
2013-05-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4741000

Uxbridge

Carolyn I would advise you to learn to change your tires. If you flat in a race it may take forever to get a sag wagon to help you...best to learn so you dont have the anxiety of the possiblity of flatting on race day!!!

You tube has a ton of "how to" videos. sit with your wheel and learn. Do it a few times and you will be a "pro"!!! I am NOT mechanical at all but I can change a flat Thanks to You Tube and my son!!!

2013-05-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4741378

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

So when you change a tube, here are a couple of things to remember.

After you take the tire off the wheel, run your fingers around the inside and outside of the tire casing to find and remove any foreign objects that are waiting to puncture your brand new inner tube.

Second tip to keep in mind.
After you have pulled the tire back onto the rim, inspect each side where the bead of the tire is intended to seat on the edge of the rim.  You are looking to ensure the inner tube is not pinched between the rim and tire bead.

A couple of extra minutes of quality time here will save you 30 minutes or more down the road.

There are lots of little things to keep in mind changing a flat.   Better to not get a flat.
Tips for avoiding flats.
1.  Run your tires at the high end of the recommended tire pressure.  Overnight, the tires on my race wheels lose air from 100 down to 75 pounds.  Pump up your tires before every ride. (you'll be faster too)
2.  If you're heading to a big race, 2 weeks before the race is a good time to put on a set of new tires.  New tires have a thicker tread and stiffer side walls that help to prevent punctures and pinch flats.
3.  Avoid running into pot holes.
4.  If your training buddy just picked up a puncture, while he fixes his flat, check your tires.  You're looking for any bits of glass, thorn, bit of wire, or nails, stuck in the tire.  Just spin the tire slowly under the palm of your glove.
5.  After stopping for a break, before rolling on down the road, check your tire surface for any sharp bits.  Especially after those unplanned stops out in the country, down by the bushes.
6.  If possible avoid riding on the shoulder of the road.  little shards of glass and sharp flint chips accumulate in those small piles of sand on the shoulder, just waiting to puncture your tires.

Be safe out there,
Fit.

2013-05-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4739023

Veteran
Quail Valley

Carolyn go luck and have fun!!!

Briana sounds like a fun race good job!

Edited by phildampier 2013-05-14 8:41 PM

2013-05-14 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4742151

So I took the advice, flattened my tires and then attempted to replace them with the Gatorskins AND the puncture resistant tubes. Holy time suck!! My husband stood by and told me what to do and it STILL took a very long time. (With 6 kids and their many bikes over the years, the man can change bike tires in his sleep so I'm sure it was particularly painful for him ;-) My new overkill tire setup is undoubtedly heavier and will cost me some time but I could probably stop, take a nap, have lunch and still finish the race faster than trying to wrangle flat tires! I know nothing is totally flat-proof so I'm glad I at least have the general idea now. I expect, like with everything else, practice makes perfect.
2013-05-15 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

CB,  I do the same thing before an event.  Replace my tires and tubes before every big race.  I have also sat in my front yard and changed the tire numerous time but then I don't do it for a while and forget how to do it again.  I will pray for no flats!!  I think it was Phil who had a lot of good advice.  The one thing I do remember from changing flats is to check the inside because otherwise a foreign body can re puncture the new tube.  I actually found something once that my husband missed.  But the actual process of getting the tire off and back on the frame, etc, is a pain in the butt!!

Good luck and have some fun!!  Where is your event?

I am in panic mode about the cold weather here.  Just ordered a long sleeve wet suit.  I have only needed a sleeveless one and the water here is currently 51 degrees.  Where I am swimming June 1st may be a bit warmer.  Praying for some hot days.  I'm borrowing a heavy cap and booties.  My ears kill with coldness, even with silicone plugs.  There is no way to work up a sweat swimming.  I can always warm up biking and running.  I may be trying out my new suit in the pool!

Bri, nice job!!  

ann

2013-05-16 8:03 AM

User image

Expert

Hello to all.  I said last week or so that I signed up for Augusta 70.3.  I also have a very good buddy that is signed up as well and is committed to me finishing in under 6 hours.  He says that his goal is that even before his finish time, so we will see how that goes!

Little Caesar's Pizza!  Most of the older people remember me saying that we were opening a Little Caesar's Pizza?  Well it is open as of last Tuesday and it is going very well.  If ever in south Mississippi, I will treat you to a Hot n Ready Deep Deep Dish!  Really good recovery food!

I will try to be more active on the site.  I have noticed that the conversations have been to serious with not sarcasim inserted.  I have been falling down on my job!  I promise to do better.  Now, where is my little rushkie?

2013-05-16 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4744911

User image

Expert
elcaminobill - 2013-05-16 8:03 AM 

Little Caesar's Pizza!  Most of the older people remember me saying that we were opening a Little Caesar's Pizza?  Well it is open as of last Tuesday and it is going very well.  If ever in south Mississippi, I will treat you to a Hot n Ready Deep Deep Dish!  Really good recovery food!

Hmmm, where at in Mississippi again?  We will be headed to Alabama for vacation this summer and will have some hungry boys with us.  If you're on our route, we may just have to stop.

2013-05-16 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
I'm heading out today to a USAT Level I Coaching Clinic.  Yay!!!  Good luck to anyone who is racing this weekend and good training to the rest of you.

2013-05-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4744944

User image

Expert
Petal Ms.  Right in front of Walmart, everyone knows where Walmart is , correct?  Just let me know when you are coming and you will be eating!
2013-05-16 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Billy, you know how every other year in Louisville is HOT, Augusta is the same way.  When I raced it 2 years ago the guys were melting on the run course, by the time us ladies got on it was starting to cloud up so that helped some.  Last year the weather was perfect.    Lets just hope for really good weather this year.  

Now, I have to find a reason to go to MS just so I can get some free pizza.

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-05-16 3:52 PM
2013-05-17 6:06 AM

User image

Expert

When you were referring to "us" ladies, were you including me?

Pizza Pizza!

2013-05-17 5:46 PM
in reply to: elcaminobill

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Thinking of Chunky Baby.
Ordered my long sleeve wet suit, it arrived, it doesn't fit!! Can't pull it up without giving myself a hernia. I have a medium sleeveless and had to order a medium small, no stk in reg medium. Who knew there would be such a difference!! IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL FIT A BEAN POLE! Might have to rent one.
Grrr!
BTW Did anyone know they were changing the site? It's taking me forever to figure out. Had a hard time finding the group's current postings.
Have fun in training Bri!!
ann
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57