General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-07 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3977089

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Who are the people in your neighborhood?

I'm probably Neon Guy or something like that. Wearing the green fluorescent vest a lot (it's at dusk or night often). And the matching fluorescent gloves. At one point I had a pair of shoes that color too. They're wearing down and are relegated to treadmill only. Seems that color was discontinued.  People could think a lot of things about the bike.

I know others do run sometimes (and bike), but I don't see anyone else out regularly enough for a name.

2012-01-07 11:07 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

Cane man.

Everytime I am out running or riding, or even driving to the bank, there is this old guy out walking with a noticeable limp and a cane.  He is new in the last two years.  He is everywhere all over town all the time, walking.  After a while he started to wave at me and I give him the thumbs up back.

Even though he's just walking, he's hard core about getting out there.

2012-01-07 11:08 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

I wonder what my knick name is.

Not really.

2012-01-07 11:27 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
2012-01-08 12:54 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

These are the people in my neighborhood!Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwDq32MtOQU

2012-01-08 2:28 AM

User image

Master

Angry Chihuahua
Lesbian couple with big dog not on a leash
Cool Teen wearing fabric softener for cologne (I always acknowledge him for being out there being healthy rather than out causing trouble)
Pops who adds to his resistance with a quad runner cart carrying his oxygen-- RESPECT!

Sadly, that's it. Running isn't popular in my hood.

2012-01-08 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3977278

User image

We have splash - a heart doctor that swims 3000 yards a day m-f and has the worst form of any human being alive and that says alot for me to make that comment because I am no swimmer.  No one likes to share a lane with him except for me

I have one of these too! Though I have no idea if he is a heart doctor and he is void of fat, muscle and anything but bone.  One arm almost does a semi-normal-ish stroke...if you squint and the other is a fist that flails from one side to the other. I don't really think he kicks either...but he still does like 500 laps a day! GO GRANDPA!

Running I am for sure the slower-than-walking-lady in crazy bright clothes with the giant dog that looks like a bear!

Swimming...I'm the girl gasping after every 100!

2012-01-08 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

My neighborhood favorite is "I Love the 80s" guy.  He's wearing 80s era gear (It's worn out.  Like he's been wearing the same gear for 30 years), a headband, and ankle/wrist weights.  He may have once been an extra in a Jane Fonda video.  It's awesome.

There is also an older guy that rides his cruiser bike (with basket) to and from work.  If I'm lucky enough to be out at the same time as him, he always rings his bell at me and says hi.  So cute!

2012-01-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3977698

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I am in a small town, so I know all of them by name, but nicknames hmmmmmm.

Super Slow Lady - she is slower than I am and she is in running form, but she walks faster than she runs

Twins - Think Arnold and DiVito  These ladies run together in the mornings and one is tall and the other short

Preacher Lady - Haven't seen her out since she had her baby, but she is always happy!!!

Skinny Teacher - Good runner and I have known her since I was a child and she has always been in great shape

The Wrestler - Great guy and has always been strong and built like a tank.

The 80's guy - Doesn't run anymore, but he was the bright blue spandex, bright GREEN spandex, bright YELLOW spandex with  a headband somedays  and sometimes not.

For me - FAT MAN that can't run.

2012-01-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3977273

Expert

meggfishy - 2012-01-07 6:54 PM I have a woman I call Wet Lady -- she's out every morning I am, and literally every time I've seen her she's soaking wet. Like, she looks like she jumped in a pool with her running clothes on. Even earlier this week when it was 8 degrees at 7am, I saw her and she was dripping wet. Bizarre.

I am cracking up.  WTF!  Ours:

Calculus Professor: This guy was actually my college calculus professor five years ago, but crazy russian with socks and sandals no matter what time of year.  I dont think i have ever done a bike ride without seeing him.  One time i asked how far he rides, he had no idea...he said to the airport and back 5 times...so about 100mi.

The Gazelle: Girl with hugely long strides and carries her arms really damn high, good runner 

Homeless Runner: I have so much respect for this guy.  Not sure if he is actually homeless but he runs for hours in jeans or long jean shorts and like 10 year old basketball shoes.  Very different than what we all do.

Pull-up group: Big group of muscleheads that hang out at the fitness stations in our park and do pull ups 24/7.

I am the young dog/no dog guy.  I usually run warmups and sometimes cooldowns with my dog, but drop him at home when I am doing my main set with fartleks/repeats.  People always look perplexed when they see me twice or three times in a run.

2012-01-08 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3977758

User image

JG_GreenCoast - 2012-01-08 6:23 AM

I am the young dog/no dog guy.  I usually run warmups and sometimes cooldowns with my dog, but drop him at home when I am doing my main set with fartleks/repeats.  People always look perplexed when they see me twice or three times in a run.

I do that too. I'll do a 3 mile loop with the dog then drop him at home and do another 3-4 miles. He refused to stay home one day and lived to regret the 8 mile rolling hills run!

2012-01-08 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

This is really funny. Thanks for getting me through a boring morning at work!

I have BBG (big boob girl) this was her name until we finally met her. She walks her dogs every morning and night.

Blondy, who also walks her dog every morning.

Then when I'm on my bike we have Anorexic. She is really sad! I cant believe how thin she is (bones and skin) she walks far sometimes twice a day.

Would be interesting to here what people in my hood call me. Well maybe not!

2012-01-08 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

In my village in France, I'm the "Crazy American lady" who runs, bikes, snowshoes, XC skis ...

My favorite person on the trails is the "Really, I AM Running Guy". This is the guy who is out walking, but breaks into a run if he spots you. Like he can't be shown up by a woman or caught walking. I about pee my capris with laughter every time I catch him doing it.

2012-01-08 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayberry

the two I can think of aren't on my route--but I run late at night when most same people are going to bed,  I see them both every morning on my way to drop the kids at school.  there's the robot runner--runs stiff, mechancial and unnaturally erect at pretty quick pace, and for a while was wearing a backpack--I can only guess for exra weight.  the other guy never looks like he's moving particulary fast, but is always sweating like he's been in a sauna--winter or summer.

I'm sure I'm known as ugly running fat dude.

2012-01-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3977781

User image

Master
Orlando
NurseJenny - 2012-01-08 8:41 AM
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-01-08 6:23 AM

I do that too. I'll do a 3 mile loop with the dog then drop him at home and do another 3-4 miles. He refused to stay home one day and lived to regret the 8 mile rolling hills run!

Me too.  Usually, I'm out so early no one notices; but occasionally I'm out later and will get double takes from those who saw me with the dog and then without him.

We have lots of people out and about in our neighborhood, but some of the standouts are:

Loose long-haired lady:  she runs all over town with her waist length hair not pulled back or controlled in any way.  While that might not seem like a big deal, in Florida the humidity is crazy and I can't imagine how she can stand to have all that hair hanging around her neck and face etc.  She has great form and seems to go forever, so I guess it doesn't bother her at all.

Vest man:  he is a walker I see most mornings.  It doesn't matter what time of year it is, he wears a sweater vest.  and carries a golf club.

Old shuffle lady:  I just started seeing her in the neighborhood.  she has to be in her 70s.  she has terrible form and wears cotton long shorts and over-sized t-shirt, but she seems to get a decent amount of miles in and although it isn't pretty she runs faster then a lot of people much younger than she.

I don't know what i'm called, but imagine it is something like "always walking her big german shepherd lady".  I walk or run my dog 2x a day, so although most people don't see us in the morning, we are seen after work.  I get people approaching me in the grocery store and starbucks etc who act like they know me b/c they recognize me from seeing me walking the dog.  In some ways it's kind of nice, in other ways it's kind of creepy!

2012-01-08 11:00 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I'm the only runner I've seen in my neighborhood, so I'm THAT guy, and yeah I do a 5 mile loop with the pup and then go to finish out my run and since my neighborhood is still being built I get all kinds of looks from the construction workers especially in the 100 degree summers...

But I am a professional people watcher at work so here are a few that we have-

The look at me runner-  College aged runner, M or F, decked out in designer running gear but running through the most populated streets at lunch time/class change time and never actually running due to too many people

The white shorts runner chick-  She does at least 10 miles a day, I've seen her leave and come back in over 2 hours completly drenched in sweat and she does it everyday, she finally made a upgrade to opaque shorts.

That looks way too painful stride-  This guy looks like he is finishing up a 200 mile road race- pain everywhere but he keeps trucking it out with his shuffle limp like gait on a daily basis.

The Crossfitters-  Group I see running and then at a park they are doing workouts then back to running.

Ninja 80's guy-  New addition guy has a great 80's style cop moustache but wears black under armour cold gear from head to toe on his bike with a gold chain on as well, reminds me of the guy that comes to the door in the beggining of old school...

2012-01-08 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I run at lunch downtown. Same people every year, every time of year. Lots of the people already mentioned.

We got the Big Boobie Girl. But man is she fast.

Pregnant woman pushing a stroller. Also fast.

A number of awkward gait people. Guys and girls. Arms uneven. Legs swinging around. They can move though too.

People loaded down with fuel belts and 4 full bottles. Like they are full, all the time.

I also see a brutally skinny woman running whenever I ride my bike home. Although I think she is more in the vane of a Pam Reed type recovering from an E.D.

Having gone through 4 new years resolutions I have now noted the same people showing up this time of year for a couple weeks or months. I always hope they stick around.

My absolute favorite though is the guy running in dress pants, shirts, and shoes. Just flying along. Sweating it up. I see him 2-3 times a year. Skinny and moving.
2012-01-08 12:46 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Hmmm. We have:- Turbo Walker Lady. She walks hours on end and looks like a small lapse in concentration would result in her knocking herself out.- MMA guys. A group of guys runs by the house a couple times a week as part of their MMA gym workouts. There was a young chubby kid for a while, but I haven't seen him lately. I used to cheer him on when I was out working in the yard.- Christmas Tree guy. More lights on him than my Christmas tree. Of course I didn't have a tree this year. Head, chest, waist, shoes. - waving guy. He always waves when the wife and I are outside. Nice fellow. - new runner. Heavy set guy who wears sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I admire him for getting out there and doing it. I hope he keeps it up. No clue what I wo uld be called.
2012-01-08 1:00 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Loving all the responses. There sure are a lot of characters out there.  I forgot shuffly older guy with a towel around his neck a la Rocky style and he always holds 3 tennis balls in each hand.
2012-01-08 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3978073

User image

Master

Ha!  Love this!  I thought I was the only person who did this.

Dale  Former safety at the University of Wisconsin. He is probably 68 (just retired) and runs 4-7 miles every day without fail and also walks his dog in the afternoons.  The dog used to run with him, but has slowed down of late.  He only recently learned my name so he always greets me with it.

The dog-walking ladies  Two teachers with a beagle and a golden retriever dog.  The ladies wear red glowing armbands and you can hear them coming a long way off.  Always talking.  : )

Not the dog-walking ladies  Two other ladies with red armbands and no dogs who look like they are the dog-walking ladies.  Also loud and friendly.

Dog-walking ladies' husband Sometimes he takes the golden out solo.  Always looks like he is in pain.

The non-waver  This woman won't wave, nod, say hello or otherwise acknowledge me though we have seen each other 2-3x per week for years.  In fact, she looks away when she sees me. I may have found a chink in her armor, though, because I think she grunted at me the other day.

The marathoner  DH and I met this lady playing golf and I said "oh, you are the runnner" thinking that we had a nice bond, being runners and all.  Her response, "no, I am a marathoner."  Hee.  : )

The running guy  A 65ish guy who ran in the heat of the summer afternoons in only short shorts.  He did at least 2 laps of our loop (approx 3 miles) and had no body fat.  DH and I decided that he was our idol.  Turns out his name is George and his daughter is a 2 sport all american (track and golf) who is a friend of DH's.  When George and his daughter run together, she runs ahead and does pushups until he catches up.  He runs in the heat of the afternoon because his knees are bad and his doctor has limited him to only 1-2 loops per day and he wants to get all he can out of the runs. 

I don't know what they would call me, maybe that silly waving woman? 

2012-01-08 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

On my usual running trail, there's Old Fast Guy with Bad Limp.  The guy has a bad limp on one side, perhaps a hip problem, so his gait is wonky.  But he churns out the miles.

There's Punch The Sky Lady.  She runs with with her forearms held in front of her pumping straight up and down.

There's 17mph Aero Position No Matter How Crowded Guy.  That guy is dangerous because it's a MUP with dogs and kids and walkers and cyclists and those ski/skate things, etc.  He's always down on the bars on his road bike with clip-ons, and even had him tailgating me while in aero.  He doesn't slow down enough, and he doesn't go all that fast (it's a 15mph limit, he's just over it.  Steadily riding along unperturbed by anything in his way.

There are several variation of 80's runners, in short shorts from their 1982 gym class, cotton Van Halen T-shirts, and so on.

There's Old School Cyclist.  Green Bianchi, downtube shifters, leather panniers, leather Brooks saddle.  Rides in something wool, cotton jeans with his pants leg in the sock.

Occasionally I see Basketball Guy.  As you might expect, he runs in high top basketball shoes (they look that way to me anyway), sleeveless basketball jersey with number (it's some college jersey) and those long past the knee basketball shorts. 

Now that I think about it, I'm probably Ironman in Sunglasses Guy.  When I run I wear a hat because I wear my Shuffle on the brim, and it's usually an Ironman finisher hat (full or half) since I have many of them and tend to give away any swag hats I get.  And a lot of my shirts are finisher shirts for the same reason.  And I always were sunglasses even on cloudy because I wear contacts and my eyes will dry out otherwise; I interchange between light and dark tint.  I have yellow for running at night.  I could be Polite Ironman in Sunglasses Guy; whenever I skip to the next song on the Shuffle it requires me to touch the brim of my hat.  If people are nearby they thinking I'm saying hi or waving or otherwise making a courtly gesture of greeting and often wave back.

Edited by brucemorgan 2012-01-08 3:24 PM

2012-01-08 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

I live in a 55+ age restricted neighborhood, and being "only 58" wifey and I are the babies, so everyone is much older. 

Almost everyone walks early mornings with their little dogs.  There is little fluffy right across the street from us who as others have mentioned will not wave, or even acknowledge we exist.

Man with beagle, who is friendly enough but dog is always too busy sniffing and peeing.

Bizarro guy, who lives up the street and collects everything.  I see him walking all different times of the day and even saw him on a beach cruiser.   He always has lots of stuff, sometimes barely able to carry it home.  His front yard is full of stuff and looks like he could be on the TV show hoarders.

The fireman, bikes and runs and rides a Harley.  He is my own age and is in great shape.

We have six community pools and nearly all the lanes are taken up by walkers, talkers, and tanners.  It can be a real hoot to listen in, as they all have the same conversation.  Where was the vacation, where the vacation will be, and what the medical condition is that they have or are recovering from.

In addition, I live on one of the more popular climbing hills for the neighborhood cyclists.  I can't really nickname any of the riders as I am usually huffing and puffing to hard to notice any of them.

I am sure my neighbors call me the crazy baby as I don't get home until after 8 to 9pm and they have all been in bed sleeping since 5pm.  As well as they see me in spandex, and bike shoes clicking walking into the garage, or even in shorts and no shirt when it's a freezing 80 degrees outside.

2012-01-08 10:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-09 5:24 AM

Veteran
Avon, Indiana

There are only a couple of people that consistantly run in my hood.  Myself, and blond pony tail girl, who has the longest pony tail I've ever seen and it swooshes back and forth when she runs..... and tall and tanned cross country girl who only seems to run on grass.  For me, I'm the guy who is either on his bike or running, in fact I've had a few people come up to me as I was running to were surprised to see me because they thought it was a bike day.

We also have quite a few dog walkers,  big dogs (St. Bernards, Marmaduke type dogs) to really small rat sized dogs.

2012-01-09 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3978885

Master
SWIM2LIVE - 2012-01-09 1:37 AM

I live in a 55+ age restricted neighborhood, and being "only 58" wifey and I are the babies, so everyone is much older. 

Almost everyone walks early mornings with their little dogs.  There is little fluffy right across the street from us who as others have mentioned will not wave, or even acknowledge we exist.

Man with beagle, who is friendly enough but dog is always too busy sniffing and peeing.

Bizarro guy, who lives up the street and collects everything.  I see him walking all different times of the day and even saw him on a beach cruiser.   He always has lots of stuff, sometimes barely able to carry it home.  His front yard is full of stuff and looks like he could be on the TV show hoarders.

The fireman, bikes and runs and rides a Harley.  He is my own age and is in great shape.

We have six community pools and nearly all the lanes are taken up by walkers, talkers, and tanners.  It can be a real hoot to listen in, as they all have the same conversation.  Where was the vacation, where the vacation will be, and what the medical condition is that they have or are recovering from.

In addition, I live on one of the more popular climbing hills for the neighborhood cyclists.  I can't really nickname any of the riders as I am usually huffing and puffing to hard to notice any of them.

I am sure my neighbors call me the crazy baby as I don't get home until after 8 to 9pm and they have all been in bed sleeping since 5pm.  As well as they see me in spandex, and bike shoes clicking walking into the garage, or even in shorts and no shirt when it's a freezing 80 degrees outside.

I want to live in your 'hood.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  

of 3