General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-07 4:45 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: Who are the people in your neighborhood?
So today during my run, I met up with concrete shoes with shorts and headband dude.  Everyone knows him and his route. There's also odd leg swing white haired guy from around the corner who looks like he's barely moving but really doing about 7:30's.  There's the ultrarunner pink baseball hat lady who runs 3-5 hrs. a day!  Can't forget discman guy or long blonde ponytail with the fleece jacket woman.  Plenty of others and I feel lucky to be outside enough to "know" these regulars who are out there day after day.  No idea what my nickname would be...maybe mismatched lady who sings and runs? Who are the people in your neighborhood? What would your nickname be?

2012-01-07 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3977089

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Who are the people in your neighborhood?

Nekkid guy, who likes to run with just short shorts, shoes and a HR Monitor.

Bike guy, who rides his comfort bike to work every day, covered in reflective gear and Vegas-style lights.

Stick guy is near my work, A retired Special Forces who runs with a large stick and is not afraid to poke them.

I probably have one of those names too, but I am unaware.

2012-01-07 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Aha--another observer of people! I have two neighborhoods (Eugene, Oregon and Saigon) so lots of people watching. In Eugene, you can run into anyone, esp. if a big meet's in town, but the most regular regular in my neighborhood is an ancient-looking guy with snow-white hair who always runs in black tights year-round.  In Saigon, the regulars include "Moonwalker Dude" (runs like he's moonwalking), Lopsided Guy (I think from a stroke or disability), Dalmation Woman (the only other 5 AM woman), the Korean Grandpas Run/Walk Club, Marathon Couple with their amazing hydration setup, the New Zealand People, and the Exercise Prostitute. (The latter stands in the park minimally clothed in Lycra and does wiggly exercises to an I-Pod for hours; have seen her pick up guys who come to the park to "exercise", not sure actually if it's for money or love). No idea of what they would call me. I was the first runner in our neighborhood but it's a pretty transient place so most wouldn't know that. I like to think of myself as the Pioneer, but maybe I'd be the Crazy Lady (Mom, who sometimes bikes alongside while I run, has informed me that fartlek looks crazy to outside observers), Woman With Two Watches (I have one of those low-end heart rate monitors that's a pain to start and stop, so I often wear a running watch and the monitor watch), or Flashing Red Light (my rear flasher). About to stop messing around on BT and head off to bike in the industrial park (only safe place) where my nickname is no doubt Around and Around and Around!
2012-01-07 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3977100

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Hot Runner - 2012-01-07 5:02 PM Aha--another observer of people! I have two neighborhoods (Eugene, Oregon and Saigon) so lots of people watching. In Eugene, you can run into anyone, esp. if a big meet's in town, but the most regular regular in my neighborhood is an ancient-looking guy with snow-white hair who always runs in black tights year-round.  In Saigon, the regulars include "Moonwalker Dude" (runs like he's moonwalking), Lopsided Guy (I think from a stroke or disability), Dalmation Woman (the only other 5 AM woman), the Korean Grandpas Run/Walk Club, Marathon Couple with their amazing hydration setup, the New Zealand People, and the Exercise Prostitute. (The latter stands in the park minimally clothed in Lycra and does wiggly exercises to an I-Pod for hours; have seen her pick up guys who come to the park to "exercise", not sure actually if it's for money or love). No idea of what they would call me. I was the first runner in our neighborhood but it's a pretty transient place so most wouldn't know that. I like to think of myself as the Pioneer, but maybe I'd be the Crazy Lady (Mom, who sometimes bikes alongside while I run, has informed me that fartlek looks crazy to outside observers), Woman With Two Watches (I have one of those low-end heart rate monitors that's a pain to start and stop, so I often wear a running watch and the monitor watch), or Flashing Red Light (my rear flasher). About to stop messing around on BT and head off to bike in the industrial park (only safe place) where my nickname is no doubt Around and Around and Around!

So you're dinky dow?

2012-01-07 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

My favorite regulars are:

Stealth Woman:  I see/don't see her on my early morning runs.  She wears all black with no reflective gear or headlight.  Even wearing a headlight I have almost run into her a couple of times.

Fleece Woman:  No matter what time of year it is she wears a black hooded fleece.  I have seen her with the hood up when it is 80+ degrees out.

Really OLD Guy:  No matter what time I run I seem to see this guy running.  I'm not sure if he ever stops but other runners have seen him all over town at all hours of the day.  I hope to still be running when I am his age.

I have no idea what the other regular runners call me.

2012-01-07 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Haha, this is fun.

We have very large white beard man.

We have the zero-fat-on-the-body shirtless running club.

We have headphone jammin' but moving slower than a walk lady.

We have super retractable leash man with his trusty canine extending all the way across the path.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

2012-01-07 5:50 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I'm not too sure what my neighbors call me, but I am known out there.

There's the blonde who runs 7 miles a day (have never met her)

Another blonde who does crazy power walking stuff with wide arm swings

Couple older couples who walk together all the time.

Lady always on cell phone as she walks

Ladies walking dogs together.

Couple walking dogs, who always ask me if I have any races coming up.

Few military guys out running, always see the buzz cuts and they are fast!

Few older people walking dogs too....

Yeah, mostly walkers out there.

2012-01-07 5:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-07 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3977098

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
pga_mike - 2012-01-07 6:01 PM

Nekkid guy, who likes to run with just short shorts, shoes and a HR Monitor.

Hey that's me!
2012-01-07 6:31 PM

Pro
My favorite neighbor is crazy arm swinger lady.
2012-01-07 6:35 PM

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Alternatively I've named my fellow lap swimmers. There's Speedy, he's got to be 70 and swims 1500 yds daily at a pace of a 20 yr old. Collegiate swimmer. There's Aqua-woman who happens to have been my High school PE teacher and occupies the whole lane swimming slower than molases with a mask/snorkel. Then there's Vine-woman who wears her Vineman race cap every day. As for me, I'm probably overly committed swim cap guy as I wear a black swim cap to make sure I'm used to it for races...

2012-01-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3977237

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Captain Morgan - 2012-01-07 7:35 PM Alternatively I've named my fellow lap swimmers. There's Speedy, he's got to be 70 and swims 1500 yds daily at a pace of a 20 yr old. Collegiate swimmer. There's Aqua-woman who happens to have been my High school PE teacher and occupies the whole lane swimming slower than molases with a mask/snorkel. Then there's Vine-woman who wears her Vineman race cap every day. As for me, I'm probably overly committed swim cap guy as I wear a black swim cap to make sure I'm used to it for races...

We have a MrNoStrokeMask&Snorkel wearer at the pool and he is horrible to split a lane with!

We also have people I call by name cause I race with them, but one has been swimming since birth and that's got to be the truth. Then there's the crazy water walker lady who blasts the late 70's early 80's tunes over the speakers.....

2012-01-07 6:47 PM

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Most of the people out in my neighborhood are walking dogs, so they are referred to by the breed of dog the have.  There's St Bernard guy, who is very friendly.  There's Great Dane dude who has warmed up over time.  (His dog is beautiful, but kind of frightened by everything.)  There's the guy with the "attack beagle".  There's crazy lady with the terrior.  Dude with the two full size poodles.  Fit couple with the Great Dane and tiny dog.

When I run in the subdivision across the street from me there are the "two women who refuse to say hello".  And recently a new addition, tall skinny dude dressed like a ninja.

I really wonder what they refer to me as.

2012-01-07 6:54 PM

Regular
Washington, DC
I have a woman I call Wet Lady -- she's out every morning I am, and literally every time I've seen her she's soaking wet. Like, she looks like she jumped in a pool with her running clothes on. Even earlier this week when it was 8 degrees at 7am, I saw her and she was dripping wet. Bizarre.
2012-01-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3977244

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-07 7:04 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Four notables, but there are more:

• Strider woman. She's angular, tall, with a stride that can cross medium sized streams. Flourescent jacket, nary a word to say, and eye contact is interdit. She will never cave.
  • The slasher. Older gentleman who weilds one arm like a machete....back it goes, around it comes, SLASH, and a wall of water goes two lanes over. No attempt at forward progress.
  • Consistency. Short woman, Michigan State hoody, walks 1.5 hours per day come rain, shine, or hell and high water.
  • The weather agnostic: a middle-aged, skinny guy that rides his bike starting at 3:45AM, finishing at 6:30AM, every single day. No matter what the weather. And he wears sunglasss. He's got a unique flasher light on his bike, combo red and strobe. Visible every single day at 6:25 as he comes home.

2012-01-07 7:07 PM

I guess we're special because we have "Rocky/Ti-bow" Man! He runs around the neighborhood with a bandana on and stops at all the busy intersections (right next to SeaWorld) and does whole "Rocky" punching in the air thing, and then he'll run up to the next intersection and do a "Ti-bow" routine or something. He'll then run back and forth between the intersections doing this or he'll stop and do push-ups or crunches...so strange.
2012-01-07 7:30 PM

Expert
Spokane, WA

There are just a few that truly stand out in my neighborhood, there is.

Kayak couple

Walk everywhere couple-it can be -5 snow and ice on the ground, torrential downpours of rain, etc and they walk to the store, the coffee shop, where ever, it's pretty freaking cool

70 year old ironman-he has done 10 or 11, can't remember, getting ready to do another one, legs like freaking tree trunks!

Then there is everyone else that unfortunately can be summed up in one of two names, or both at the same time quite often.

The fat one and the lazy one-it's shocking how bad it is.

Mostly I have been called crazy and more recently I heard, "dude, you are nucking futs"

2012-01-07 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3977291

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

mmez - 2012-01-07 7:07 PM I guess we're special because we have "Rocky/Ti-bow" Man! He runs around the neighborhood with a bandana on and stops at all the busy intersections (right next to SeaWorld) and does whole "Rocky" punching in the air thing, and then he'll run up to the next intersection and do a "Ti-bow" routine or something. He'll then run back and forth between the intersections doing this or he'll stop and do push-ups or crunches...so strange.

Now that's just awesome!!

Only a few regulars in my 'hood...

Trendy/fit older walking ladies - look like they stepped right out of a LuluLemon catelogue but are around 60, walk every morning side by side as I am leaving for work.

Bookworm: Lady with her nose buried in a book walking, usually at night with a headlamp.

Yup and the dog people: 2 blood hound family, couple with 4 dogs tiny to large, guy with 2 UNTRAINED pitt bulls, etc.

2012-01-07 7:46 PM

New user
San Francisco, CA

I actually have a famous one in my neighbourhood!  The Bernal Bikini Jogger!  She runs every morning, rain, shine, fog, etc. up Bernal Hill in her bikini.

http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2011/11/stalking-the-elusive-bikini-jogger.html

Aside from that, I drove down the street today flanked by TipToe dude. I mean, I know a forefoot strike was supposed to be "ideal," but this dude looks like he's wearing invisible stilettos. And, of course, a terry headband.

2012-01-07 8:02 PM

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I would try running to the pool in my speedo to make my running nickname a bit easier to choose and the morning commute more interesting for some, but it's right past an elementary, middle, and HS and might just end in a mandatory offer for a ride in the back of a patrol car....no one has a sense of humor around here...

2012-01-07 8:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I have several

The leather tennis ball - Old guy who's spent too much time under the sun/tan bed and always wears tennis ball green shorts, shirt and, when cold, matching gloves. Silly fast runner though.

Malcom's dad (from Malcom in the middle) - Dad in head to toe spandex, with knee pads, on roller blades. Doing his best impression of escapades on ice. If you've ever seen the episode of Malcom in the middle where Malcom's dad teaches him to inline skate, it's exactly like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0JnmWHLHQ&feature=related

Crazy Bad A$$ - I live in a pretty hilly area and regularly see this person running (at a decent clip) towing a car tire tied to his waist. I think the local paper featured him, and explained he's a mountain climber and does this for training.

2012-01-07 9:36 PM

Veteran
Austin

lets see... around my houston neighborhood we have: 

bunny lady- this lady has been running for YEARS! she runs the same route early nearly every morning. she has long blonde hair and kind of hops as she runs. the best part is that she carries her arms/hands at just the right height/angle she looks like a bunny.

amazing lop-sided lady- this lady is newer to the  neighborhood, but i always see her on the trail. i'm not sure if she has an issue with her leg or if she's had a stroke, but this lady can move! she's out there nearly every day doing no less than 5 miles at an amazing pace. people who persevere like this have my utmost respect. 

large bald man in grey shirt- this guy has been around for at least 10 years. i think he's been trying the whole "jared walks to subway" diet or something. he walks for almost 2 hours everyday, and always seems to be in the same grey shirt. over the years he's gone from obese to just a little chubby. good for him!

walker with a big butt- no, this isn't the nicest nickname for this lady, but it accurately describes her! she walks everyday and always has a smile on her face. she seems cool, but just has a disproportionately large butt. 

old, grey lady with blue shorts- this lady must be at least 80 years old, but she's still walking a few miles daily! good for her! the funny thing about her is that she is always wearing the same blue shorts. they aren't even workout/exercise shorts. just nice, cotton shorts that come to her knees that are a distinctive color of blue. 

cool thread. makes me think what my nickname would be... 

2012-01-07 10:06 PM

Pro
Olney, MD

No names for the runners and walkers, but at the pool:

The running man: hangs at the wall in lane 1 and just runs in place

The mayor: seems to know everyone, has to say "hi" and shake hands before he swims

Paddles: overweight guy with a SwiMP3 thing, Speedos, and bright yellow paddles; pushes his hands into the water in a way that makes me wonder how he manages to move forward

Windshield wiper lady: always swims with a snorkel, brings her hands so far past center that her arms look like windshield wipers going back and forth

There's another running guy who likes to mix swimming with water running, sometimes running backwards

"The Masters Group": 3 or 4 regulars that are always swimming together in lanes 4 and 5, using the same swim plan, including the guy who always wears fins because otherwise he has no chance of keeping up with the others

Pooh Bear: woman who uses a Pooh Bear bag for her toiletries, but personality-wise is much more of an Eeyore

Ms Fancy: the only woman in the locker room who walks around wearing a wrap

I imagine they think of me as "Crazy Tri Gal"

2012-01-07 10:25 PM

Master
Denison Texas
I think I am the only runner/cyclist in my neighborhood, so I am "that guy" but my neighbors- dog guy-with the three sometimes four fairly aggressive dogs, lawn mower man with a yard full of mowers-some for sale, there is the "midnight remodelers/tweakers" a group of rotating "roommates" who spend their evenings "remodeling" in between drunken brawls, crime sprees and court appearances, "old car man"-always has a number of decaying vehicles in his dirt yard or on the porch, "body builders" who's front porch resembles a prison yard with weight benches and machines and questionable guys who spend all their time either lifting or drinking, it goes on from there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  

of 3