General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-10 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Subject: Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool
Tonight's swim sets are listed in my log. Be gentle ... I'm a swim newbie ... but this workout really fatigued me. I was hanging with the other swimmers (Masters team) quite well through the set of 75s pull. I've got a terribly inefficient kick, so it's always nice when they don't get to use their legs and I don't have to work to keep mine up.

I finished behind them on the 100s, but still started on the 2:00. This is an improvement for me, as I've been starting my 100s on 2:10 or 2:15. Only 3 of them tonight ... but still, I'll take it.

Then he wrote 3 x 300 on 6:00 on the board and I just hung my head in defeat. So I decided to just take them at my pace on not concern myself with the clock ... I'd take a minute rest in between.

But I really fell off my form for the final 300. I just couldn't get it back together, so I grabbed a buoy for the final 200 just to finish the set. That's my question ... was that a good move or would I have been better served trying to struggle through and take the best form I could muster?

2012-01-10 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3982735

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool

This could get ugly...  (Sometimes when this issue arises, there is some, um, passion.)

My personal experience is this, and I'm keeping it to my personal experience because I really don't know the answer to your question.  Let's take today.  My main set finished with 4x50 all-out (after a bunch of hard swimming prior to that).  I felt like crying on the last 50.  I'm not making that up.  I did try to focus on form, but I have little doubt that it had fallen apart pretty badly by the end.

Now, some will say that I was 'practicing bad form' and others will say that I was 'gaining fitness'.  I think of it in somewhat different terms -- I was trying (largely failing, but trying) to maintain good form while completely exhausted.  The hope that I hold out for myself is that by allowing myself to get to that point on a regular basis, I will actually get better at holding form while exhausted.  And I also think that there is little doubt about achieving increased fitness in these sessions, which can't hurt.

Caveat:  I'm a very mediocre swimmer and have zero training or experience as a swim coach.

2012-01-10 6:50 PM

Regular
Albany, Ga
I have a relatively weak kick too. I would suggest putting on fins when you fatigue to help your kick and keep your body position higher in the water and help with the apparent weak link with your swimming. Seems to me the buoy would not help you work on the kick but might help you keep up with the group. Would love to hear other suggestions too!
2012-01-10 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I asked the question because I kind of wish I had taken your approach, Michael. But, wow, I had nothing left. I usually leave the pool after 60 minutes so I can get home and have some family time ... so I don't mind cutting out as long as I get those 60 minutes in. I had about 5 minutes left and there was a very strong swimmer waiting for a lane. That was all the excuse I needed to get out of the pool rather than starting the next set of 200s.

gbrad: I've done that too ... put the fins on. We didn't do a lot of kicking tonight ... and that probably would have been a good thing tonight.
2012-01-10 11:11 PM
in reply to: #3982832

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

BernardDogs - 2012-01-10 8:22 PM I asked the question because I kind of wish I had taken your approach, Michael. But, wow, I had nothing left. I usually leave the pool after 60 minutes so I can get home and have some family time ... so I don't mind cutting out as long as I get those 60 minutes in. I had about 5 minutes left and there was a very strong swimmer waiting for a lane. That was all the excuse I needed to get out of the pool rather than starting the next set of 200s.

gbrad: I've done that too ... put the fins on. We didn't do a lot of kicking tonight ... and that probably would have been a good thing tonight.

You're a long time runner, so I would guess that you've done 'epic' run workouts where, at the end, you feel like lying down and adopting the fetal position.  And you know that such workouts have to be very rare as a runner, or you'll end up in a boot for 6 months.  What you and I both might want to embrace ('might' because, as I said, I'm completely a rank amateur here, and you shouldn't take my word for it) is that swimming does not work the same way; 'epic' can be more of a regular occurrence.  The main injury issue (which is not trivial) is that a lot of swimming hard with certain types of poor form can cause overuse injuries. 

2012-01-11 3:35 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

BernardDogs - 2012-01-10 8:23 PM

Then he wrote 3 x 300 on 6:00 on the board and I just hung my head in defeat. So I decided to just take them at my pace on not concern myself with the clock ... I'd take a minute rest in between.

But I really fell off my form for the final 300. I just couldn't get it back together, so I grabbed a buoy for the final 200 just to finish the set. That's my question ... was that a good move or would I have been better served trying to struggle through and take the best form I could muster?

When the 3x300 went up on the board and you knew you were going to be in for a hard time, you could have asked the coach what sort of rest you should be getting.  If he said (for example) 30 seconds then I would have done the best effort possible to make the first 300 while focusing your thoughts 100% on those aspects of your stroke that tend to break down on you.  If you make the time, great!  Try again for #2!  You might surprise yourself and make all 3, you might not but you've given yourself the opportunity to practice holding your form while tired.  If you don't make the time, take the 30" rest prescribed by the coach but still put in a strong effort focusing on your technique.  I wouldn't switch to the pull buoy unless things have reached a complete breakdown.  See rules 18 and 19 in the link below.

http://joelfilliol.blogspot.com/2012/01/most-popular-post-on-this-blog-is-is.html?spref=tw

Good luck with your swimming!

2012-01-11 5:39 AM

User image

Melon Presser

What Michael and Axenhottie, er, Arend, er axteraa said.

I think the fact that you even GOT to the point where you hung your head in defeat is commendable ... and necessary.

This is the swim advice I gave someone once who wanted to improve:

"For a season, better a year, put AT LEAST four 1.5 hour sessions (or equivalent) in masters style workouts where you really are considering vomiting, crying, and/or quitting at least once a week (preferably once a session). Then, keep going."

I have a question back for your question ... when you grabbed the buoy for the final 200, do you mean you couldn't "get it back together" to keep at the pace you were going, or your form had truly broken down so badly you were just about swimming backward, or ... ?

2012-01-11 6:50 AM

Extreme Veteran

There is some good advice here and I'll add to it, although it may not be good.

If you are using a buoy to just finish the set you need to examine why a 300 is such an issue.  I'd say you should spend the time working on technique as opposed to just slapping on the buoy to finish.  There won't be a buoy in your race and it does an excellent job of disguising stroke issues.  I'd suggest 50 drill/50 stroke on the 300s to make progress.

One poster said that using fins helps your kick and body position.  This is a common myth and incredibly untrue.  Fins do nothing to help your kick.  In my opinion fins should only be used on fin load sets, never to make an interval or just keep up.  If you can kick with fins but not without them, you simply can't kick.  I don't think you need a great strong kick for long distances but you do need a balanced kick.  

2012-01-11 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3983286

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
TriAya - 2012-01-11 6:39 AM

I have a question back for your question ... when you grabbed the buoy for the final 200, do you mean you couldn't "get it back together" to keep at the pace you were going, or your form had truly broken down so badly you were just about swimming backward, or ... ?

Well ... it wasn't quite backward. I could feel myself losing any semblance of a horizontal position ... and struggling to return. I rallied once or twice but felt like I was just flailing to do so. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it felt, but it just seemed that my form was done. I wasn't really worried about pace at that time ... just wanted to put in the distance. So I figured that the buoy would allow me to get back to horizontal and at least use the final 200 to focus on my roll while fatigued.

But I think it's stated correctly above that I used it for a crutch.

2012-01-11 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Killer: Thanks for your input. I have to own the fact that there was a significant psychological hurdle to start that defeatist mindset. I had never done sets of 300 prior ... so I went into them wondering if I even had the capacity. But you're right ... I don't kick well. Not at all. Although I may have improved, it remains a significant liability to my overall swim. I should have video within a few weeks if I can convince the university's video production services to loan me some equipment. 
2012-01-11 9:24 AM

Master

I think it's absolutely good to push yourself to the brink, even in swimming. If you're going so hard/long that you can barely do another set, even a measly 25, you're doing something RIGHT. 

Even as a slow noob myself when I was over 2:15/100yd, I disagree that there is no value to going hard on your workouts because you 'ingrain bad form.' When you're that slow, your form breaks down so quickly from fatigue that the only way to make substantive improvements is to HTFU. 

What you DO need to do is remember that the more you fatigue, and the more painful it gets, the less excuse you have to get sloppy. You have to really, really try and keep those strokes long, and the body position flat. Yes, it makes going hard on the swim harder than going hard on the run/bike where you can just 'grit it', but unless you do that, you will plateau very quickly on the swim, even with correct form.

If you're so tired that you can't possibly maintain correct form, slow down or ok, use that buoy. (I'd be impressed if you're so tired that you can't even swim a 2:40 100 with essentially correct form.

I do think you should re-evaluate the role of your kick and learn to swim WITHOUT a significant kick. It does sound as if you are over-relying on your kick to keep the legs up, which is expending extra energy. If you learn to swim with a minimal two-beat kick, you'll find that you can push yourself to the brink and leg dropping will never be an issue. (The arm fatigue and cardio fatigue will be big limiters.)

2012-01-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3983746

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

agarose2000 - 2012-01-11 10:24 AM

It does sound as if you are over-relying on your kick to keep the legs up, which is expending extra energy. If you learn to swim with a minimal two-beat kick, you'll find that you can push yourself to the brink and leg dropping will never be an issue. (The arm fatigue and cardio fatigue will be big limiters.)

Yup. I'm trying to decrease that reliance but progressing slowly. It has been sometime since I've reviewed video on the 2 beat, but I think it might be something I should be applying more focus to.

2012-01-11 9:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
It really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going, swimming with bad form is a waste of time.  Exhausting yourself swimming with bad technique has zero value.
2012-01-11 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3983773

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
H20 Killer - 2012-01-11 8:37 AM

It really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going, swimming with bad form is a waste of time.  Exhausting yourself swimming with bad technique has zero value.

Agree 100%.
Swimming with bad form may get you increased endurance - but, it's at the cost of learning to be efficient (even when you are tired).
2012-01-11 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

So, instead of working, I'm re-reading and reviewing video on the 2 beat. I came across this beautiful example of a pro 2 beat right next to a pro 6 beat. Amazing.

Linky-poo

2012-01-11 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3983868

User image

Payson, AZ
BernardDogs - 2012-01-11 8:21 AM

So, instead of working, I'm re-reading and reviewing video on the 2 beat. I came across this beautiful example of a pro 2 beat right next to a pro 6 beat. Amazing.

Linky-poo

I have nothing to add, but I love "Linky-poo"

2012-01-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3983840

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

RockTractor - 2012-01-11 11:03 AM
H20 Killer - 2012-01-11 8:37 AM It really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going, swimming with bad form is a waste of time.  Exhausting yourself swimming with bad technique has zero value.
Agree 100%. Swimming with bad form may get you increased endurance - but, it's at the cost of learning to be efficient (even when you are tired).

I'll never disagree with the importance of learning and practicing good swimming form, that said, this seems incredibly wrong to me. 

I've only had two short swims this year after essentially taking a year off from swimming.  I know my swim fitness is in the toilet.  I'm going to get tired quickly and my form will break down.  However, if I continue until I'm tired or even exhausted I'm gaining valuable endurance, endurance that I can use to work on my form during future swims.  If I stop at the first sign of fatigue it'll take way too long for me to achieve the volume I need to train appropriately for my races.

2012-01-11 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I also struggle with a bad kick.  I've been going to a swim coach for the last couple weeks and working on all of the balance/pull drills but he says my problem is my kick.  We did a TT last night and I came in at 2:35.  Bad, I know.

I'd never tried using fins or bouys until these coaching sessions but find I could too easily rely on them when I start to fatigue.  I also struggle with whether to keep going at the end of my swim sessions when I'm tired and my form starts to fall apart.  I do believe that form becomes habit pretty quickly  (i.e. after I do a catch-up drill it takes me a few length to get back to a regular stroke) so I am leary to keep going when my form starts to fall apart.

Not much help for your question but just to say all of us non-swimmer noobs struggle with this stuff. 

2012-01-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3983286

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2012-01-11 4:39 AM

This is the swim advice I gave someone once who wanted to improve:

"For a season, better a year, put AT LEAST four 1.5 hour sessions (or equivalent) in masters style workouts where you really are considering vomiting, crying, and/or quitting at least once a week (preferably once a session). Then, keep going."

SWEET... I'm right on track!

2012-01-11 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3983886

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Sluggo312 - 2012-01-11 9:27 AM

RockTractor - 2012-01-11 11:03 AM
H20 Killer - 2012-01-11 8:37 AM It really doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going, swimming with bad form is a waste of time.  Exhausting yourself swimming with bad technique has zero value.
Agree 100%. Swimming with bad form may get you increased endurance - but, it's at the cost of learning to be efficient (even when you are tired).

I'll never disagree with the importance of learning and practicing good swimming form, that said, this seems incredibly wrong to me. 

I've only had two short swims this year after essentially taking a year off from swimming.  I know my swim fitness is in the toilet.  I'm going to get tired quickly and my form will break down.  However, if I continue until I'm tired or even exhausted I'm gaining valuable endurance, endurance that I can use to work on my form during future swims.  If I stop at the first sign of fatigue it'll take way too long for me to achieve the volume I need to train appropriately for my races.

Sluggo,

I'm not saying quit your whole workout at the first sign of your form breaking down... As I tire out and feel my form falling apart, I just apply more concentration to maintain good(enough) form. This works for me to a point. But, at the point where I just can't keep it together no matter how hard I concentrate on it, I'll stop and take an extra break at the wall. Once I'm back in check, I'll finish my set/workout. IMHO, taking that extra minute or two at the wall will help your form in the long run much more than it will hurt your endurance building.
2012-01-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3983886

Extreme Veteran
Sluggo312 - 2012-01-11 10:27 AM I'll never disagree with the importance of learning and practicing good swimming form, that said, this seems incredibly wrong to me. 

What endurance is to be gained from swimming like crap?  If you are just starting out the goal isn't to power your way to an exhausting horrible form session.  Work on technique primarily.

Of course you will fatigue as you swim longer and longer.  That is true for everyone.  But, the point is to not swim fatigued where your technique is so bad that you are actually not improving at all.  Endurance does not trump technique.  And, just remember the better your form, the more endurance you gain.  

I see the same triathletes year after year come in, swim 2-3K with horrible form, get out gasping and are proud of themselves for the distance.  If only they would spend a few months tuning their form things would be so much easier.

There are plenty of failure point swim sets out there designed to swim you to oblivion (the Swedish 2:01 is my favorite of these) but you have to have good form.

Edited by H20 Killer 2012-01-11 12:02 PM

2012-01-11 12:03 PM

Master
Northern IL
It might be helpful to define (or provide guidelines) as to where this point of diminished returns is. If it's possible.  Some level of speed loss, stroke count fading, anything like that? More description on how it feels?
2012-01-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3983359

User image

H20 Killer - 2012-01-11 4:50 AM

There is some good advice here and I'll add to it, although it may not be good.

If you are using a buoy to just finish the set you need to examine why a 300 is such an issue.  I'd say you should spend the time working on technique as opposed to just slapping on the buoy to finish.  There won't be a buoy in your race and it does an excellent job of disguising stroke issues.  I'd suggest 50 drill/50 stroke on the 300s to make progress.

One poster said that using fins helps your kick and body position.  This is a common myth and incredibly untrue.  Fins do nothing to help your kick.  In my opinion fins should only be used on fin load sets, never to make an interval or just keep up.  If you can kick with fins but not without them, you simply can't kick.  I don't think you need a great strong kick for long distances but you do need a balanced kick.  

I haven't finished reading through the thread yet, but this ^^^^^^^^

I would much rather see you swim 3 x 250 without a buoy or fins just to keep up, than rely on those tools just to finish the set.   Buoy and fins should be used (IMO only) as tools to develop certain skills, not to keep up with the set.

Often if we have swimmers that can't make certain intervals they'll knock a 50 off and wait at the wall while others finish.

And hopefully everyone here has experienced that feeling of your arms falling off and lungs exploding and feeling like you're just thrashing through the water at the end of a particularly hard set, no matter your speed

2012-01-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3984118

Master

I hear all the warnings about not swimming with terrible form, but I've found that as long as you're cognizant about trying to maintain your form, even if you're totally gassed, you will still be able to mentally will yourself to keep a fundamentally solid stroke. It hurts like heck sometimes, but those are the moments that really improve your overall swim fitness AND technique. I have never, ever gone to the point where I'm just thrashing in the pool, and I've done sets so hard that I've nearly passed out in the lane.

I have seen folks who just 'bang out' sets with poor technique in the pool, for months - in most cases, those folks aren't interested in getting faster or actually improving their technique, and are in it for just a solid workout. I don't think those swimmers share the same goals as triathletes who are actively trying to get faster in the water, through fitness and technique, and I don't think it's quite accurate to use them as examples of why you should avoid hard efforts, even at the cost of some technique breakdown, in the pool. 

2012-01-11 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
If you could mentally will yourself to swimming perfection then swimming wouldn't be the sport with the most grueling and time consuming practices.  There's a reason the best swimmers train tens of thousands of yards/meters a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool Rss Feed  

of 3