General Discussion Race Reports! » Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bendigo, Victoria
Australia
Bendigo Triathlon Club
17.1C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 43/46
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed my bags and gear ready the night before. Got up at 5am and sipped water continuously till about 7am. Didn't eat anything before the race as I normally do not eat before I train in the morning and didn't want an upset stomach during the event. Got there nice and early to register and get my transition area set up.
Event warmup:

Had a light stretch and just tried to keep relaxed.
Swim
  • 12m 39s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't anticipate the intensity of the swim, first 100m was difficult till I got into a rhythm. The choppy water in the pool didn't bother me like I thought it would and breathing was good. Felt heavier in the water due to wearing a tri suit and sports bra instead of bathers. HR was really pumping on exiting the water and running up the hill to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Concentrate more on lengthening my stroke from the start and getting into a rhythm earlier. Try to control my HR a little better on exiting the pool and running to T1.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time in transition to try and keep relaxed and let my HR settle. Swim cap and goggles off whilst running to T1. At T1 socks on, bike shoes on, helmet on, sunnies on. No dramas getting into my bike shoes or clipping into the pedals.

Have a spare towel to wipe my feet down properly before putting my socks on.
Bike
  • 53m 3s
  • 15 kms
  • 16.97 km/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was a huge shock to the system. My HR was up to begin with and I took the first hill too hard to start with and barely made the climb to the top. My legs felt heavy for almost the entire ride. Began to get a better rhythm further into the ride as my HR settled and managed the hills a little better on the 3rd and 4th laps. Was probably a little too cautious on the flats and downhill.

Train on the bike course to learn better gearing and build up endurance and stamina on the hills. Ride harder on the flats and downhills to make up time lost on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Faster transition than T1, bike shoes off, runners on, helmet off, quick drink of Gatorade, cap on whilst running out of transition.

Run faster out of transition. Opt for water instead of Gatorade as stomach was a little queezy.
Run
  • 34m 43s
  • 4 kms
  • 08m 41s  min/km
Comments:

Started out as a shuffle, legs felt really tired and heavy, HR felt okay. Started to pick up the pace by the second lap, got progressively faster by the end of the race. Very happy to get through the run without dropping back to a walk.

Push myself to get into a better run rhythm earlier on and give the last lap everything.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of intensity during training sessions to get me better prepared. Need to do more hill work on the bike and more speed work on the run.

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon in over 18 years and I could not have asked for a more positive experience. The race officials were friendly, very helpful, supportive and encouraging. I was very happy with how it all went and the fact that I met both of my goals, which were to finish and not walk on the run. Really looking forward to the next event in 5 weeks time.

Last updated: 2012-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:39 | 400 meters | 03m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/46
Performance: Good
Suit: Non wetsuit swim
Course: 8 laps of 50m indoor Olympic pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:03 | 15 kms | 16.97 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3.75 km loop, Simpsons Road, McClelland Drive, Sailors Gully Rd, Simpsons Road. Two hills, one steep, one long.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:43 | 04 kms | 08m 41s  min/km
Course: 4 laps around Lake Neangar. Flat terrain.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-16 1:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Subject: Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6

2012-02-16 2:56 AM
in reply to: #4050108

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6

Nice work on your come back!

I hope you enjoy what's left of the season.

2012-02-16 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4050108

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6

Hi Simone.

Nice race report but I noticed something you should start to think about and experiment with. You mention you did not eat anything in the morning pre-race? I am not an expert but I have to say you need to get some simple carbs in the system that early to replenish your glycogen stores you lose when sleeping. If you research it you will find that some triathletes will actually get up a few hours before the normal wake up time to consume something simple (bagel, peanut butter) to keep the blood sugar levels in good shape before the start of a race. Also, sipping on a sport drink would help as well. You may find that will give you better energy levels that you can sustain during the race. I know you mentioned that your tummy gets upset but you should start to experiment with different things until you find something that does not upset your tummy and you can get used to.

Just a suggestion my friend.

Keep up the great work.

KC

2012-02-16 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4050118

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Casie - 2012-02-16 7:56 PM

Nice work on your come back!

I hope you enjoy what's left of the season.

Thanks very much Casie!

Edited by kruzmeister 2012-02-16 7:02 PM
2012-02-16 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4051689

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
kcgolf - 2012-02-17 9:40 AM

Hi Simone.

Nice race report but I noticed something you should start to think about and experiment with. You mention you did not eat anything in the morning pre-race? I am not an expert but I have to say you need to get some simple carbs in the system that early to replenish your glycogen stores you lose when sleeping. If you research it you will find that some triathletes will actually get up a few hours before the normal wake up time to consume something simple (bagel, peanut butter) to keep the blood sugar levels in good shape before the start of a race. Also, sipping on a sport drink would help as well. You may find that will give you better energy levels that you can sustain during the race. I know you mentioned that your tummy gets upset but you should start to experiment with different things until you find something that does not upset your tummy and you can get used to.

Just a suggestion my friend.

Keep up the great work.

KC

Hi KC,

thanks for picking up on that. It is something I know I need to work on. I think it'll be a liquid breakfast though as solid food tends to really upset my digestion when I'm nervous. I might start out with a protein shake about an hour before and see if that helps. Sports drink isn't an option cause the sugar plays havoc with my stomach also. But I'm sure I'll find something I can manage.

thanks again my friend,

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bendigo Triathlon Club 2011-12 Villawood Properties Summer Series Race 6 Rss Feed