General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nasty Topic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-16 4:56 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Nasty Topic
Allegies and  Allergies and sinus drainage - I know this is nasty subject - but it is spring and between spit and drainage, I can't keep up with it, especially on run, Dentist says I have quite active spittal glands possibly from chewless tobacco used in past (don't know if anyone else faces this problem).  Can you take Zyrtec or other something similiar to help with these fluids without having cotten mouth or effecting performance?   This is my first sprint.

2012-03-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4099984

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Nasty Topic
I have seasonal allergies and take Zyrtec when they are really bad. When I take Zyrtec within a few hours of running I get a headache during my run. I've been training for a marathon and I had a 6-7 day period when my allergies were bad. When I had a long run scheduled on Saturday afternoon I made sure I took Zyrtex late Friday afternoon so that its 24 hour effectiveness was just wearing off at the end of my run. I still think it made me a little more dehydrated that usual, but it was do-able.
2012-03-16 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
yeah, I've been there and got a few t-shirts from the old allergy crud! When I'm really flared up with allergies, i take regular old Benedryl to help dry up the secretions, otherwise it's hard to breathe during training. If it's really bad, i take some steroids (prednisone), some people just go get a decadron shot and that's basically the same thing. I think the chlorinated pool water helps clean those sinuses out a little too...I always get water up my nose (inadvertantly) at some point during the swim. Other than that I guess you just gotta take a heapin' dose of HTFU! But it can be rough, I can certainly sympathize!
2012-03-16 7:19 PM

Regular
Albany, Ga
I take generic Zyrtec from Sam's (cetirizine). It is CHEAP! I just take one a day because I have allergy issues pretty much year round! No issues but I do keep hydrated well
2012-03-16 7:20 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
I have seasonal allergies (early season tree pollen) and take Zyrtec (actually you can get a years supply at Costco...not sure of the brand name...but its the same thing) for really cheap.  I also use a Dr. prescribed nose spray.  If I don't start using it months before the pollen hits, I am toast.  I start Jan 1 and still have a few days that are bad, but after 15 minutes of swimming (yes...gross), running or biking my head clears and drainage starts.  Queue numerous snot rockets.  I don't notice cotton mouth or headaches from the medicine.  My Dr is the one who told me to take it early....and that just taking one the day before or of, won't do much.  
2012-03-16 8:42 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Earlier this week I heard and read about cider apple vinegar for allergies.  I'm skeptical but decided to try it.  Three days in my nose drip has dried up and no sinus headache.  Not sure if it's coincidental but I'm going to keep up with drinking 2 Tbs in water 2x per day and see how it goes.  Since if have EIA that gets worse with allergies it would be amazing if something this simple solved the issue.  

2012-03-16 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Yeah...allergies suck don't they? I get shots for my allergies, they're supposed to build an immunity to indoor/outdoor stuff I'm allergic to. They help, but during certain cycles like tree and ragweed, I'm really bad and have to supplement with cetirizine (sp?) the Rite Aid version of zyrtec. I have to drink more and keep water at the bedside table because I get that horrid cottonmouth feeling, but it's worth it to be able to open my eyes in the morning and actually not blow my nose the entire day.

Oddly, I am better when I run. I have no idea why. As soon as I stop though...pass the tissues please!

2012-03-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4100189

User image

Payson, AZ
GreenMtnLabbit - 2012-03-16 6:45 PM

Oddly, I am better when I run. I have no idea why. As soon as I stop though...pass the tissues please!

I am the same way.  I have had thoughts of just running all day but of course that is not practical.  Over the counter drugs do NOTHING for me.  So I am off to see an allergist. 

2012-03-16 9:14 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I feel your pain. Allergy-induced asthma and nasty seasonal allergies, which basically happen at random intervals year-round in the tropics. Worst is that they tend to really kick in at night and mess up my sleep. Rarely a serious issue while running--it tends to dilate your breathing passages unless you have exercise-induced asthma/rhinitis. I'd say 80-90% of my symptoms are at night. Worst after long bike rides, as I'm inhaling lots of pollen, dust, smoke, and just third-world smog.

I don't know about others but for me, Zyrtec or Benadryl basically equals stoned, at least at the dosages that have an effect on my allergies. I can't really train, much less race, with that stuff in my system. If I took it the night before there would still be enough in my system in the morning to seriously affect performance. I tried some nasal sprays at my doctor's suggestion, but they  trigger almost instant nosebleeds in my case.  What seems to work for me is Sudafed PE, the kind for sinus drip--it has a decongestant and expectorant in it. The old kind with pseudephedrine really works better.  Now thanks to the meth cookers, you have to have a prescription to get it in the US--have done so on occasion, or just gotten a similar (European) generic here. You really need to pay attention to hydration if you are taking this before a race, though, as it has a tendency to dry you out. Not as bad as Zyrtec, but you do need to drink more.

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-03-16 9:19 PM
2012-03-16 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I use the trifecta of zyrtec, claritin and singulair with no ill effects on my training or life.  Yes my allergies are bad.
2012-03-17 2:08 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I take generic Zyrtec once a day; two Benadryl before I go to bed; and 1-2 tablespoons of local honey every day (when I remember). I started the daily local honey about a year ago, and I think it is starting to help. With the warm winter/spring we had/are having, others have started complaining about pollen -- the flower trees are out in full force. I feel better this year than I have since I started suffering from seasonal allergies.

I know some people think the local honey remedy is nuts, but so far, I'm a believer.

Edited by KansasMom 2012-03-17 2:09 AM

2012-03-17 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Two words: farmer's blow.

If you are considerate check your 6 first.

2012-03-17 1:05 PM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
I used to take Zyrtec like M&Ms. The best thing that has helped me over the past couple of years is a twice yearly Kenalog shot. I used to get all kinds of steroid shots, but they always "wore off" or were good for only combating the issue right then. When I switched to Kenalog, I haven't had a problem since. It's been the best thing for my allergies.

YMMV
2012-03-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4100560

User image

Payson, AZ
wbattaile - 2012-03-17 8:31 AM

Two words: farmer's blow.

If you are considerate check your 6 first.

If your drafting me with out telling me you deserve what you get. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nasty Topic Rss Feed