Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » New to BT and lost about training logs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-20 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: New to BT and lost about training logs
Hello everyone. I am new to BT and am a little confused by all the information that is here. I thought perhaps I will post a msg and see if anyone can direct me accordingly.

First, I am a total newbie to the sport of triathlons. My fitness level is as follows: I can swim 500 yards, I have been biking with the local bike club two nights a week and recently bought a new road bike and went 29 miles on the last club ride. My running is the worst. I am running about 2x a week and so far my 5K time is 36 minutes.

My question is this...which training log is best for me and also which plan should I try to get on as a BT member? Levels I mean....bronze, silver or gold?

I have also recently joined the local tri club in town and plan to do some of their workouts which include an open water swim and running workouts. I also found a road runners schedule and plan to do some 5K runs with them.

I would like to utilize this site, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it?

Currently I am doing weights and cycling on Tuesdays and Thursdays (weights in the morning) and for swimming I plan to do it on Mondays and Wednesday mornings with runs in the evening. And weekends I am planning on doing long runs and long rides. I'm not sure if this is a good schedule?

Please move this post to the appropriate spot too! I wasn't sure where to post this!

Thank you!

2006-05-20 10:42 PM
in reply to: #428942

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: New to BT and lost about training logs

Welcome to the site!  There is a good amount of resources that are free which may work just as well for you-or to at least get your feet wet. 

First, there are the training plans, check them out per level.  If you joined a local tri club, are you following just some workouts or an actual training plan?  Also, what distance are you aiming for?  There are many free training plans at that above link that provide a good template as to the minutes you should train per each sport.  The silver/gold levels are more detailed plans where the gold lets you have unlimited questions and answers with our coaches from D3 multisport. Also the 'Choosing a Plan' article may help you evaluate your first season.

From the training details you mentioned, the 'Sprint 2x Balanced' plan, which is free, may be a good plan for you.

Likewise, a good part of the logs are free too if you just want some basic logging of workouts and some reports.  All the features of the log can be found here.  Complete instructions and articles can be found in the training log category:

Setting Up Your Triathlon Training Log

General Training Logging Procedure 

What I would do, is to start using the logs as-is now...see how you like it and get used to it.  Look at the various plans per level and see if they may work for you.  If in the future yo find you do want detailed plans and workouts or additional log functionality, you can add on later.

Good luck training!

2006-05-21 11:47 AM
in reply to: #428942

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hello Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I have actually just recently joined the local tri club and I haven't as yet done a training session with them. They have group training sessions approx. 3 times week. Mostly it's running on Monday, Bike on Thursday and then alternate bike/run on Saturday and adding swims on Monday.

I've looked at the training programs and the one you mentioned. I have a question though. The training program is set up in minutes, right? I guess you can do it where you can increase the minutes you train?

For example, my regular tues/thurs workout is weight training for 1 hour in the morning and then 20 mile ride in the evening. That would be more than the time alloted in the training program.

Also for the runs and swims....I guess if there is a time put on there, you can either run it fast or slow (or swim fast or slow) for that times alloted? I guess I always thought you should push to do more distances or add more times?

Thank you for your help!
2006-05-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: #429312

User image

Champion
Gold member

As far as the 'minutes' programs (the free sprints and olys), the minutes increase 10% every week, with a 'rest' week the 4rth week of the month.  So it is some good, conservative building to avoid most overtraining issues.  If your rides already exceed that, there is no reason to shorten your rides to match the program-why sacrifice it as long as you have no problems doing the mileage?

As far as the short/medium/long workouts, as a rule of thumb, keep the long workouts EASY and you can alternatively build in some speedwork on the short/medium workouts.  But ONLY work on speed if you already have a decent base.  You can easily injure yourself a lot easier if you try to work on speed if you are still trying to build your base or volume-which may be the case for you in the run and swim.

I'm a little conservative so the sprint/oly minutes only programs are just that, a good template to force yourself to not overtrain by sticking with the minutes alloted - especially if you are new to the training volume.  Never push more distance/time over what ANY program calls for especially if it is uncharted territory.  Triathlon is kinda funny like that, the last thing you want to do is keep pushing yourself week after week trying to out-do the prior workout.  That will get you injured.  You need gradual build weeks coupled with rest weeks where you decrease as much as 50% in volume to keep you healthy and improving.

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » New to BT and lost about training logs Rss Feed