BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-09-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!
I lost my job and have been preoccupied with sorting out what to do next.

If you know of a brokerage firm that needs a good Compliance and Operations professional, let me know!

Otherwise, I'll be swimming, biking, and running.

2012-09-26 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4429082

Veteran

stephsprint - 2012-09-26 1:39 PM I lost my job and have been preoccupied with sorting out what to do next. If you know of a brokerage firm that needs a good Compliance and Operations professional, let me know! Otherwise, I'll be swimming, biking, and running.

So sorry to hear the news.  I will keep my ears open for you. 

2012-09-27 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi all,
Sorry I've been away for awhile. Once school starts in August, life gets crazy.
Anyway, I am registered for Boston! Hoping to get there injury free so I am following a new strength program that my PT put together, taking yoga 2/3 times a week and buiding back a running base.

Steph, sorry to hear about the job. You still coming to watch the hubbie run Chicago?

Susie
2012-09-27 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Guys,
I know I broke my ankle then disappeared. Sorry. Well, the bone has healed with 8 pins and a plate. I am still in therapy because I don't have full range of motion in the ankle yet. I can't even do a squat. I got the green light from ortho a month ago to water walk and do the stationary bike. I did neither. I had no motivation to go inside of a gym whatsoever. NONE! 2 weeks ago, my PT said she rather me do the upright stationary bike, more painful but more therapeutic. I didn't do that either. Again no motivation.

So this week I have been frustrated with not being able to get around and just limping everywhere. My swim coach is expecting me back in class on Oct 13th, at the beginning of the session where she starts slow and build over the fall and lunge into tri swimming in January.

TODAY, I WENT SWIMMING! I know it's stupid but the fact that I went was a huge boost for me. My neighbor said she would be in front of my house at 5:30am this morning so I had to be ready. It felt really good to swim. I did 100s for 45 minutes incorporating freestyle, breaststroke and walking. I did about 800 yards, so slow. I felt motivated again, I did more stretches than required each day and my ankle felt looser. I hope this is the mental boost I needed. I don't know if my neighbor and friend knows how much she did for me today! Tomorrow I will do spin class but taking it very easy. The only rule my PT said was to NOT spin on PT days because my ankle will be inflamed and maybe swollen making therapy less effective. PT days will be swim days.

I am even going to start logging my workouts on the BT site again.

Lovey
2012-09-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4430494

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2012-09-27 1:56 PM

Hi Guys,
I know I broke my ankle then disappeared. Sorry. Well, the bone has healed with 8 pins and a plate. I am still in therapy because I don't have full range of motion in the ankle yet. I can't even do a squat. I got the green light from ortho a month ago to water walk and do the stationary bike. I did neither. I had no motivation to go inside of a gym whatsoever. NONE! 2 weeks ago, my PT said she rather me do the upright stationary bike, more painful but more therapeutic. I didn't do that either. Again no motivation.

So this week I have been frustrated with not being able to get around and just limping everywhere. My swim coach is expecting me back in class on Oct 13th, at the beginning of the session where she starts slow and build over the fall and lunge into tri swimming in January.

TODAY, I WENT SWIMMING! I know it's stupid but the fact that I went was a huge boost for me. My neighbor said she would be in front of my house at 5:30am this morning so I had to be ready. It felt really good to swim. I did 100s for 45 minutes incorporating freestyle, breaststroke and walking. I did about 800 yards, so slow. I felt motivated again, I did more stretches than required each day and my ankle felt looser. I hope this is the mental boost I needed. I don't know if my neighbor and friend knows how much she did for me today! Tomorrow I will do spin class but taking it very easy. The only rule my PT said was to NOT spin on PT days because my ankle will be inflamed and maybe swollen making therapy less effective. PT days will be swim days.

I am even going to start logging my workouts on the BT site again.

Lovey

YES! I'm sure it was difficult to get out there... you are a star for getting-it-done. SO happy for you and can't wait for more progress reports. Yay for swimming!
2012-09-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4430323

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-09-27 12:54 PM

Hi all,
Sorry I've been away for awhile. Once school starts in August, life gets crazy.
Anyway, I am registered for Boston! Hoping to get there injury free so I am following a new strength program that my PT put together, taking yoga 2/3 times a week and buiding back a running base.

Steph, sorry to hear about the job. You still coming to watch the hubbie run Chicago?

Susie

Thanks, I had a really good interview yesterday, cross fingers!

YES, we are ready for Chicago! I fly in Saturday morning, and out Monday morning. I need to get a long run in Saturday while he's hanging out at the Hilton and I'm looking forward to a lake front run! It's been since 1998 that I've been on that path!

Will you be down there? among 45,000 plus runners and all their friends and family?

Boston... way cool... train smart my friend, you will be great!

2012-09-28 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4431596

stephsprint - 2012-09-28 8:44 AM Thanks, I had a really good interview yesterday, cross fingers!

Good to hear. I too crushed an interview yesterday. Here's hoping for the two of us to find some good work.

Glad to see some of the people back on the page. Hope you are all doing well.

I have nothing new to report, other than it's getting rainy, colder, and darker, and that kills my motivation. Ran in the dark yesterday, but now I'm kind of getting 'lazy'. Going to try a trampoline workout tonight after some core work. I NEED to run tomorrow or my race next weekend will be terrible. 

2012-09-28 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4431596

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Steph, 

Hoping to be at the marathon. Have a friend running. Are you going to try and hit multiple "views" or staking out one spot and staying put.

Susie

2012-09-29 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4432967

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-09-28 10:53 PM

Steph, 

Hoping to be at the marathon. Have a friend running. Are you going to try and hit multiple "views" or staking out one spot and staying put.

Susie

I'm going to be waiting for my husband at @ mile 17 to give hime some goodies and support, then I'll make my way to the finish... we're not 100% sure where we are going after. Seems the 6 or 7 people that are running and their respective spouses all need a good place to meet. I'll keep you posted! Would love to meet you and I LOVE the excitement of a big race! my cell is 914-466-1974 feel free to text me.
2012-09-29 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Will do Steph.  Trying to coordinate where I'll be.  I met friends at mile 17 two years ago.  Super easy to get to using the "L".

It'd be great to meet you too!  847-562-6630 my cell.

2012-09-30 6:09 AM

Ran (mostly) up a 5K mountain trail with some BIG elevation and steepness yesterday afternoon. May have just hurt my race performance. A little on the tired side today, but it was fun. Going down was tricky, as the rocks were very slick from the rain. Fell a few times but no injuries. It was also getting dark. It took me more time than I thought. The wife and family were not very happy when I returned. 

2012-09-30 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4433644

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-09-30 7:09 AM

Ran (mostly) up a 5K mountain trail with some BIG elevation and steepness yesterday afternoon. May have just hurt my race performance. A little on the tired side today, but it was fun. Going down was tricky, as the rocks were very slick from the rain. Fell a few times but no injuries. It was also getting dark. It took me more time than I thought. The wife and family were not very happy when I returned. 

Oh my.
2012-09-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4433389

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-09-29 4:28 PM

Will do Steph.  Trying to coordinate where I'll be.  I met friends at mile 17 two years ago.  Super easy to get to using the "L".

It'd be great to meet you too!  847-562-6630 my cell.

I want to meet John somewhere around 17-19... thinking after that big water stop in Little Italy after he turns south. Pink Line (which didn't exist when I lived there). I'll be in a yellow turkey trot shirt. I hope to have a sign that says JOHN on it. We'll see if I'm that organized! )
2012-10-02 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I know lots of people live where it's getting cooler. Do you want an off-season workout schedule? This is the time of year when, even here in Miami, Coach gets us out of the pool. November we change Monday Wednesday swim to Monday runs and Friday Fartleks. The running season here is just starting so many people have been working on their running since August. Triathletes do some races, but our Coach doesn't like us running marathons. A few do it anyway. Lots of half-marathons 10ks 5ks etc. But the workouts definitely change. More long runs, strength training, spin classes, yoga, pilates. Many people are recovering from the season and then will get serious again in December/January. We generally have our workouts in 3 pieces during the year. 4 months each.
2012-10-03 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
One nice thing about being unemployed, I can sleep in and workout when I want to.
2012-10-03 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4438357

Veteran

stephsprint - 2012-10-03 6:26 AM One nice thing about being unemployed, I can sleep in and workout when I want to.

I love silver linings  Laughing

2012-10-03 10:32 AM

Veteran

My new strategy for this month is to keep a food diary and a workout log.  Like the sound of scratching nails on a chalkboard to me but I will DO IT! 

2012-10-03 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4438719

Threejs - 2012-10-03 11:32 AM

My new strategy for this month is to keep a food diary and a workout log.  Like the sound of scratching nails on a chalkboard to me but I will DO IT! 

I've found that workout logs are the most helpful thing ever. You can go back and see what kind of efforts you should put in, how many miles you've done so far to help prevent injuries, and when you have a race coming up you can see the proverbial "hay in the barn". I also tend to remember workouts a lot better when written in a log ie: where, route, who I was with, etc... The thing I look forward to the most is calculating my totals at the end of the week/month.

stephsprint - 2012-10-03 6:26 AM

One nice thing about being unemployed, I can sleep in and workout when I want to.

I'm jealous?

Just had a follow up interview on the phone. Why doesn't anyone want to pay me what I need to live comfortably? Not gold Cadillac type money, just pay my bills and save a dollar.

2012-10-04 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4438719

And I don't keep one of those, but it would've helped me to realize I SHOULD NOT have eaten 1000 peanut butter cookies the other day.

2012-10-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4439642

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-10-03 5:57 PM

I've found that workout logs are the most helpful thing ever. You can go back and see what kind of efforts you should put in, how many miles you've done so far to help prevent injuries, and when you have a race coming up you can see the proverbial "hay in the barn". I also tend to remember workouts a lot better when written in a log ie: where, route, who I was with, etc... The thing I look forward to the most is calculating my totals at the end of the week/month.

stephsprint - 2012-10-03 6:26 AM

I'm jealous?

Just had a follow up interview on the phone. Why doesn't anyone want to pay me what I need to live comfortably? Not gold Cadillac type money, just pay my bills and save a dollar.

I hear you. I may just have to accept less. I'm NOT in a good frame of mind today. Better just go hang out at the pool, try to get some Vit D and get rid of this damn respiratory crap. 4 weeks now. I leave at 6:30am for Chicago tomorrow. Watch my man run the marathon. That, unless I freeze to death, will be big fun!
2012-10-08 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
OK, where is everybody?

I just got back from Chicago and I am pooped! Thanks for the TXT message Zimm, sorry we didn't get to meet up. John did great! He PR'd by 20 mins! It was perfect running weather, overcast and high 40s... not so much for those of us freezing our arses off cheering.

I wouldn't trade it for the world though. Mr. Tough guy got all misty-eyed over my support. That means everything! If your spouse, significant other, or friend/family member goes out of their way to support you, please let them know. I'm still just amazed at how much he appreciated my support. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

2012-10-08 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4445497

stephsprint - 2012-10-08 4:06 PM

OK, where is everybody? I just got back from Chicago and I am pooped! Thanks for the TXT message Zimm, sorry we didn't get to meet up. John did great! He PR'd by 20 mins! It was perfect running weather, overcast and high 40s... not so much for those of us freezing our arses off cheering. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. Mr. Tough guy got all misty-eyed over my support. That means everything! If your spouse, significant other, or friend/family member goes out of their way to support you, please let them know. I'm still just amazed at how much he appreciated my support. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I can totally relate. I tell my wife and kids not to come to my races, but the few times they actually come it is so cool. The adrenaline and endorphins mixed with family love are almost too much. Glad you and the hubs had a good time.

RACE REPORT:

Had a 2.5ish mile hill climb on Sunday. 1800 vert up the maintenance roads/ski trails of the local ski resort. This is the third year I've done it. The last two years I was an employee of the resort, and in those races claimed the title of fastest employee, which gave me a reputation as being an extreme dude. This year I don't work there, but was secretly or unknowingly given the employee registration fee of half price of $25 instead of the regular $50. YAY!!

So this year they decided to start the race about 0.1 miles further back which was through the very flat base lodge area. I line up at the front when the gun goes off because I'm tired of passing slow pokes and the burn outs on the rocky narrow paths that lie ahead. Well, typical of any race, some folks zip ahead only to be spent up before the first mile. I start to gun it too, but hold back when I realize what I'm doing and let a lot of people pass me. When we get to the real climbing I have to weave a little, but when I settle in I never hold less than 13th position. I can see the leaders, and hope that they burn up soon, but they are really cruising. This is a really grueling course, and some folks start power hiking and switching back and forth to running. I get into a small pack and they are all huffing while using both walk and run techniques but I keep on driving in a steady shuffle feeling relaxed. We drop one of the younger guys just beyond the half way point and another soon after. Then me and this guy are battling hard. The last part of the course gets steep, not to mention it is a long time to be running UP!! He starts to fall back and walk. I continue my shuffle and as the course eases just slightly I give it all I got left (not much) to the finish. I finish in 10th at 32:08. No PR this year. In fact I think I'm getting a lot slower. Still "fun" and an opportunity to see old friends. They haven't posted official results yet, but I may have finished within my age group. 

Maybe one more race left next weekend. 

2012-10-10 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4445712

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-10-08 6:33 PM

stephsprint - 2012-10-08 4:06 PM

OK, where is everybody? I just got back from Chicago and I am pooped! Thanks for the TXT message Zimm, sorry we didn't get to meet up. John did great! He PR'd by 20 mins! It was perfect running weather, overcast and high 40s... not so much for those of us freezing our arses off cheering. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. Mr. Tough guy got all misty-eyed over my support. That means everything! If your spouse, significant other, or friend/family member goes out of their way to support you, please let them know. I'm still just amazed at how much he appreciated my support. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I can totally relate. I tell my wife and kids not to come to my races, but the few times they actually come it is so cool. The adrenaline and endorphins mixed with family love are almost too much. Glad you and the hubs had a good time.

RACE REPORT:

Had a 2.5ish mile hill climb on Sunday. 1800 vert up the maintenance roads/ski trails of the local ski resort. This is the third year I've done it. The last two years I was an employee of the resort, and in those races claimed the title of fastest employee, which gave me a reputation as being an extreme dude. This year I don't work there, but was secretly or unknowingly given the employee registration fee of half price of $25 instead of the regular $50. YAY!!

So this year they decided to start the race about 0.1 miles further back which was through the very flat base lodge area. I line up at the front when the gun goes off because I'm tired of passing slow pokes and the burn outs on the rocky narrow paths that lie ahead. Well, typical of any race, some folks zip ahead only to be spent up before the first mile. I start to gun it too, but hold back when I realize what I'm doing and let a lot of people pass me. When we get to the real climbing I have to weave a little, but when I settle in I never hold less than 13th position. I can see the leaders, and hope that they burn up soon, but they are really cruising. This is a really grueling course, and some folks start power hiking and switching back and forth to running. I get into a small pack and they are all huffing while using both walk and run techniques but I keep on driving in a steady shuffle feeling relaxed. We drop one of the younger guys just beyond the half way point and another soon after. Then me and this guy are battling hard. The last part of the course gets steep, not to mention it is a long time to be running UP!! He starts to fall back and walk. I continue my shuffle and as the course eases just slightly I give it all I got left (not much) to the finish. I finish in 10th at 32:08. No PR this year. In fact I think I'm getting a lot slower. Still "fun" and an opportunity to see old friends. They haven't posted official results yet, but I may have finished within my age group. 

Maybe one more race left next weekend. 

That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the report... no Turkey Trot?
2012-10-11 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Signed up last minute, for a little tri on Sunday 1/4 miles swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run.

I'm going alone and I don't know anyone who is signed up. Can't wait to have one without all the fanfare etc.
2012-10-12 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Just checking in. This week has been good. I tested out the bike and the elliptical. I found that the elliptical was harder on my ankle than the bike SO now the elliptical is now my best friend. I have been doing the elliptical and then hopping in for a short swim. I went from 1x week to 4x a week at the gym. Yeah me!

I am returning to my swim class called Development Master Swim on Sat. Coach said she will start off slow. Being as slow as I am, I expect her to put me in fins a lot.

Lovey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45