BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-10-12 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4449728

Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!

stephsprint - 2012-10-11 10:40 AM

Signed up last minute, for a little tri on Sunday 1/4 miles swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run. I'm going alone and I don't know anyone who is signed up. Can't wait to have one without all the fanfare etc.

I can't even begin to think about OWS up here anymore. It actually snowed today. We had been kicking around the idea of going to the Y this weekend. Gots me a little seasonal head cold, but I'm going to do a core routine and maybe a trampoline workout tonight. The race I thought was this weekend is actually next weekend. 10K trail race.

Good to hear from you Lovey. Seems that thread participation is dwindling as the Winter approaches. 

2012-10-13 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4451277

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2012-10-12 11:13 AM

Just checking in. This week has been good. I tested out the bike and the elliptical. I found that the elliptical was harder on my ankle than the bike SO now the elliptical is now my best friend. I have been doing the elliptical and then hopping in for a short swim. I went from 1x week to 4x a week at the gym. Yeah me!

I am returning to my swim class called Development Master Swim on Sat. Coach said she will start off slow. Being as slow as I am, I expect her to put me in fins a lot.

Lovey

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Enjoy the swimming... my fins bother my feet so I don't like to use them. Do you like yours? Keep up the great work Lovey!
2012-10-13 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
My friend and team mate Beto Navarro is at the Kona Ironman World Championships... he's doing GREAT! He did the swim in an hour and 27 minutes, and he is 45 miles into the 112 mile bike ride. He's been out there almost 4 hours. Ugh! Then he gets to run a marathon! Apparently there are huge headwinds too so shortly he'll get to turn around.

People who do this iron stuff just amaze me. GO BETO!!
2012-10-13 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
So, who is doing a turkey trot this year? Jingle Jog?

We have a couple more triathlons in here I think....

Snow? yikes. My sister got some in Minnesota too.

Everybody down here is in FULL ING Miami Marathon and Half Marathon mode. January 27th... sunny south florida? COME ON, you know you want to!!
2012-10-13 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4452702

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
stephsprint - 2012-10-13 5:37 PM

Lovey - 2012-10-12 11:13 AM

Just checking in. This week has been good. I tested out the bike and the elliptical. I found that the elliptical was harder on my ankle than the bike SO now the elliptical is now my best friend. I have been doing the elliptical and then hopping in for a short swim. I went from 1x week to 4x a week at the gym. Yeah me!

I am returning to my swim class called Development Master Swim on Sat. Coach said she will start off slow. Being as slow as I am, I expect her to put me in fins a lot.

Lovey

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Enjoy the swimming... my fins bother my feet so I don't like to use them. Do you like yours? Keep up the great work Lovey!

The fins usually don't bother my feet. I have had them for 3 years but once last year, they started rubbing the top of my feet for some reasons. I had to put on swim socks for a few weeks but after that it was fine again.
With my broken ankle, the first 2 swims, I kept getting a knot in my ankle. I had to take them off and swim a few laps to work it out. Now the fins are fine but tiring on my ankle.
2012-10-13 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi all,Watching the Chicago Marathon was very cool. I've never been just a spectator. Even in years I haven't run officially I've run portions as a pacer.We were at the start and saw the pros. Then bopped around downtown and saw them at several other points. Saw the women pros finish. Steph...so close...sorry it didn't work out. I was with a larger group than I orginally thought so kind of had to go with the majority.One day I want to do a Florida race so hopefully one day in the future we can meet.

2012-10-13 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Also, my friend and I started with a personal trainer on Sat mornings. We are working on strengthening. The trainer is also running Boston so he will also coach me in running too.
2012-10-15 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4452781

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-10-13 7:33 PM

Hi all,Watching the Chicago Marathon was very cool. I've never been just a spectator. Even in years I haven't run officially I've run portions as a pacer.We were at the start and saw the pros. Then bopped around downtown and saw them at several other points. Saw the women pros finish. Steph...so close...sorry it didn't work out. I was with a larger group than I orginally thought so kind of had to go with the majority.One day I want to do a Florida race so hopefully one day in the future we can meet.

Great day for a race... loved it. We'll meet one day, I'm sure! My running coach did 2:36! He is running NY as a training race, and then it's a Boston Focus to avenge a poor race he had there a couple years ago.

Husband ran a PR also 4:39! He had a great day and I loved that he did.

2012-10-18 6:58 PM

Winding down the running season. Went for a nice 10K in the woods this afternoon with the pup. It is hunting season so I had to bring my reflective orange vest. I don't have anything for the dog to wear, but I'm going to get him a reflective collar so I can also see him at night. Got to give my new headlamp a try also. That fkr is bright. Lights up the whole trail like daytime. Can't wait for some night skiing.
2012-10-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4459899

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-10-18 7:58 PM

Winding down the running season. Went for a nice 10K in the woods this afternoon with the pup. It is hunting season so I had to bring my reflective orange vest. I don't have anything for the dog to wear, but I'm going to get him a reflective collar so I can also see him at night. Got to give my new headlamp a try also. That fkr is bright. Lights up the whole trail like daytime. Can't wait for some night skiing.

The headlamps are the greatest thing. I like to follow someone who is wearing one. Nothing stays on my head.... guess my hair is too slippery.
2012-10-22 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4460434

User image

Uh, hi all.  Apparently the off-season doesn't agree with me in terms of mentor group participation.  Embarassed

But I have been enjoying the race reports - Steph, what a great day here in Chicago for your man!  And your coach - um,!! That's nothing short of amazing.  A woman in my husband's office actually broke her femur at mile 21, so she didn't quite post her best time. lol 

Here is my quick update & I'll try to help us get to page 54:

Joined a tri training group, signed up for spin class on Sundays, bought an indoor bike trainer, and started lifting again.  Also started a new cycle of the diet program I did in the spring.  Hopefully a few extra pounds will disappear by Thanksgiving.  Planning on doing a local turkey trot 8k since I'm not hosting dinner.  I'd like to try to beat my shamrock shuffle time.  Gotta have goals, eh?

The other goal I had to put in writing for the tri group was to do an olympic tri next year.  Yikes. 

Hope everyone is well, avoiding all the germies going around & keeping up with their training plans!  Now, on to MNF.  Go Bears! :-)

Terri

2012-10-22 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4464216

awk1987 - 2012-10-22 6:11 PM

Uh, hi all.  Apparently the off-season doesn't agree with me in terms of mentor group participation.  Embarassed

But I have been enjoying the race reports - Steph, what a great day here in Chicago for your man!  And your coach - um,!! That's nothing short of amazing.  A woman in my husband's office actually broke her femur at mile 21, so she didn't quite post her best time. lol 

Joined a tri training group, signed up for spin class on Sundays, bought an indoor bike trainer, and started lifting again.  Also started a new cycle of the diet program I did in the spring.  Hopefully a few extra pounds will disappear by Thanksgiving.  Planning on doing a local turkey trot 8k since I'm not hosting dinner.  I'd like to try to beat my shamrock shuffle time.  Gotta have goals, eh?

The other goal I had to put in writing for the tri group was to do an olympic tri next year.  Yikes. 

Hope everyone is well, avoiding all the germies going around & keeping up with their training plans!  Now, on to MNF.  Go Bears! :-)

Terri

HEY!! 

Good to see this thread still kickin'. Sounds like some good plans for your goals. I myself have been trying to save a few bucks to join a gym. I am also trying to do an Oly, but I still don't have a bike. Worst triathlete EVER!!

2nd place in a 10K trail race Sunday. A great course. I ran into some people I've met on the circuit which was cool. I also met a friend's friend by crazy chance and that was cool too. I just heard about a 12 mile trail race over in Western Mass. in May that I think I'm going to start training for now. I'm going to race in a Turkey Trot so my family can cheer me on. That last trail race wasn't very family friendly.

Hope everyone is keeping it together during the off season. I'm definitely feeling like I want to slow down, but that 12 miler just got me going again.

I ate too much pizza and my back hurts, but I've got to do some yoga tonight. 

2012-10-27 5:00 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wow, back from 4 days in Puerto Rico... what a pretty place Old San Juan is! Hilly also, so 3 days of walking cobble stone streets up and down hills HAD to be good for me. Pitchers of white sangria? maybe not so much....

Anyway my feet are killing me and I'm ready to get back into a routine...maybe Wednesday, because tomorrow I'm driving 4 hours to Sarasota where I'll help my friend, whose father passed last week, deal with some family issues. THEN I can get back into a routine.

Windy and cool here... thanks to Sandy. 74 degrees and 25+ mph winds. No biking.
2012-10-27 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4464331

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-10-22 7:30 PM

HEY!! 

Good to see this thread still kickin'. Sounds like some good plans for your goals. I myself have been trying to save a few bucks to join a gym. I am also trying to do an Oly, but I still don't have a bike. Worst triathlete EVER!!

2nd place in a 10K trail race Sunday. A great course. I ran into some people I've met on the circuit which was cool. I also met a friend's friend by crazy chance and that was cool too. I just heard about a 12 mile trail race over in Western Mass. in May that I think I'm going to start training for now. I'm going to race in a Turkey Trot so my family can cheer me on. That last trail race wasn't very family friendly.

Hope everyone is keeping it together during the off season. I'm definitely feeling like I want to slow down, but that 12 miler just got me going again.

I ate too much pizza and my back hurts, but I've got to do some yoga tonight. 

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Pizza

Glad you are re-inspired!!
2012-10-27 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4464216

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
awk1987 - 2012-10-22 6:11 PM

Terri

Sounds great, what's your diet program?

I am ready to do my International.... I think. I have 17 days to make sure.

Being a Dolphins fan.... football is a roller coaster thing... mostly downhill.
2012-10-29 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4471498

User image

S’up Coach?  Sounds like a fun Caribbean adventure before the wrath of Sandy.  Hopefully the remainder of the season is kind to you.  Wishing you the best in your race.  U sound ready.   Can’t wait to hear all the details.

stephsprint - 2012-10-27 6:08 AM  Sounds great, what's your diet program? I am ready to do my International.... I think. I have 17 days to make sure. Being a Dolphins fan.... football is a roller coaster thing... mostly downhill.

I wish I could promote it as the ‘I’m never hungry’, ‘I still eat all the things I love’ & ‘I don’t have to count calories’ kind of program.  Not so much.  It’s basically low-carb (nearly no-carb) & low-fat.  Think Atkins without the fat.  Borders on being depressing.  After stalling earlier this year with an Atkins-type plan (& being threatened with bp medication), I had to go a little extreme & all I can say is it has worked for me.

Jan-June I lost 30+ pounds, then ate more ‘normally’ thru the summer to fuel the tri training, and was able to maintain the loss until after my last race when a few pounds started to show up.  I swapped a couple of my rides & runs during the week with short lifting sessions & am happy to see another 10# gone. The wt on my drivers license is accurate for the first time in ~20 years. Lol  Dieting sucks. 

And at least as a football fan you can hang on through the ups and downs.  Us hockey fans can’t even get on the ride this season. Cry

Have a great week!

2012-10-31 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Hey All,

Sorry I havent' been around lately.  I thought I would just poke in and let everyone know that we survived the storm.  We are without power, but were able to borrow a generator to get through until it is restored.  The rest of our family's also made it through ok, at least as far as we know.  We have a friend of the family that lived in Lavalette and no word if his home is still standing. Friends of ours were not as fortunate and several had trees in to their homes to various degrees. 

Gary,

Do you still have family in the area?  I recall you saying you grew up in Toms River.  They get through OK?

--Marcus

2012-11-01 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4477144

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-10-31 2:35 PM

Hey All,

Sorry I havent' been around lately.  I thought I would just poke in and let everyone know that we survived the storm.  We are without power, but were able to borrow a generator to get through until it is restored.  The rest of our family's also made it through ok, at least as far as we know.  We have a friend of the family that lived in Lavalette and no word if his home is still standing. Friends of ours were not as fortunate and several had trees in to their homes to various degrees. 

Gary,

Do you still have family in the area?  I recall you saying you grew up in Toms River.  They get through OK?

--Marcus

Sandy was as advertised. One big bad storm. As far as I know my family in NY and NJ are fine. Some loss of power but no water.

Glad you are well.
2012-11-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4474039

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
awk1987 - 2012-10-29 4:19 PM

S’up Coach?  Sounds like a fun Caribbean adventure before the wrath of Sandy.  Hopefully the remainder of the season is kind to you.  Wishing you the best in your race.  U sound ready.   Can’t wait to hear all the details.

stephsprint - 2012-10-27 6:08 AM  Sounds great, what's your diet program? I am ready to do my International.... I think. I have 17 days to make sure. Being a Dolphins fan.... football is a roller coaster thing... mostly downhill.

I wish I could promote it as the ‘I’m never hungry’, ‘I still eat all the things I love’ & ‘I don’t have to count calories’ kind of program.  Not so much.  It’s basically low-carb (nearly no-carb) & low-fat.  Think Atkins without the fat.  Borders on being depressing.  After stalling earlier this year with an Atkins-type plan (& being threatened with bp medication), I had to go a little extreme & all I can say is it has worked for me.

Jan-June I lost 30+ pounds, then ate more ‘normally’ thru the summer to fuel the tri training, and was able to maintain the loss until after my last race when a few pounds started to show up.  I swapped a couple of my rides & runs during the week with short lifting sessions & am happy to see another 10# gone. The wt on my drivers license is accurate for the first time in ~20 years. Lol  Dieting sucks. 

And at least as a football fan you can hang on through the ups and downs.  Us hockey fans can’t even get on the ride this season. Cry

Have a great week!

Dude

Thanks. Yeah, we'll see... I need to get through the race. That's all. FINISH.

I like Hockey live, but I can't watch it on TV. I hope they get their act together....it's not a well managed sport/business.

Thanks for the diet info. I'm as fat as can be. Ugh.
2012-11-01 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4477144

otisbrown - 2012-10-31 2:35 PM

Hey All,

Gary,

--Marcus

Thanks for asking. My parents live in Brick, where it was hammered by the storm. The surge did not go that far inland to their house, but they lost power. I assume that their phones are now dead, because I can't get a hold of them since Tuesday. I'm going a little crazy thinking about it so I'm trying to calm myself by not looking at the pictures from home. I did the next best thing: I sent a message to the teenage girl next door via Face Book. She hasn't replied in twenty minutes so now I'm getting a little crazier.

Glad to hear you made it out OK Marcus. That storm was no joke. The shore is my home area and I'm feeling homesick for the first time in 20 years. 

2012-11-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4479654

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Gary,

We finally got power back on today. Some of my neighbors are still out. If you have a way of getting in touch with them, let them know the shoprite in bayville has provisions for people to charge their phones.  It is located on rt 9.  There is still food and gas issues all through ocean county. I learned today mantaloking bridge no longer ends on 35 and that intersection is now an inlet. 

My mom is still with out power and coming out tomorrow.  We are actually sending her back with some gasoline for my sister in law. Getting fuel is a nightmare anywhere in eastern NJ. 

Just devastating.   

Let me know if there is anything I can do. 

Steph,

I didn't realize you had faminly in the area.  Glad to hear they are ok.

2012-11-02 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4479725

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-11-01 10:06 PM

Gary,

We finally got power back on today. Some of my neighbors are still out. If you have a way of getting in touch with them, let them know the shoprite in bayville has provisions for people to charge their phones.  It is located on rt 9.  There is still food and gas issues all through ocean county. I learned today mantaloking bridge no longer ends on 35 and that intersection is now an inlet. 

My mom is still with out power and coming out tomorrow.  We are actually sending her back with some gasoline for my sister in law. Getting fuel is a nightmare anywhere in eastern NJ. 

Just devastating.   

Let me know if there is anything I can do. 

Steph,

I didn't realize you had faminly in the area.  Glad to hear they are ok.

I have a silly, all things considering, thing to ask you. They canceled the NYC Marathon today. I disagree with canceling it, but mostly because of the timing. I have 4 friends who are already there. timing. Since when does NYC bail on anything or anybody.
2012-11-05 6:31 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Well, OK.... I get it. It was a kneejerk reaction... people are really suffering.

Fortunately many of the runners are volunteering and raising money and giving up their hotel rooms to people who need a place to sleep.

Bad weather is coming to New York. I hope more help comes for more people very soon.
2012-11-06 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Its pretty amazing what allot of people are doing and those that showed up to have their race canceled handled it brilliantly.  Some of this has restored my faith in humanity, at least until I read all the stories about people taking advantage of those in need. 
2012-11-06 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4485564

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-11-06 9:11 AM

Its pretty amazing what allot of people are doing and those that showed up to have their race canceled handled it brilliantly.  Some of this has restored my faith in humanity, at least until I read all the stories about people taking advantage of those in need. 

Agreed Otis. But I think the good outweighs the bad in this case.

On the triathlon side of things, I may need to squeeze my carcass into my wet suit for my race this weekend. I don't even know if it fits.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45