Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #434121

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Swim speed work
sappho96 - 2006-05-25 8:34 AM

two great drilsl for strengthening your forearms are fist and doggy paddle. doggy paddle does what it says on the tin and is suprisingly hard. fist is normal free but with closed hands; this improves the strength you get out of the forearm rather than just your open hand.

The purpose of fists is to reinforce the "catch" phase of your swim stroke.

2006-05-25 12:17 PM
in reply to: #433667

Elite
Livingston, MT
amiine - 2006-05-25 4:12 AM

BTW, I think that the emphasis suggested on “efficiency” and drills sometimes is pointless unless you have a coach accessing your swim. Granted it is important but you need to get feedback to know you are doing it correctly and NOT reinforcing bad habits. Finally, if I have to choose between swimming pretty and “efficient” or ugly and fast I’ll definitely pick the latter

This is true. I thought I was an effecient and a somewhat fast swimmer over distance (I come in somewhere around 1:20 per 100) until I went to a coach two weeks ago and had video analysis done on my swim stroke. In 5 trips across the pool he reduced my stroke count by eight strokes. When we analyzed the video we found that I used my stroke arm when breathing as leverage and this was causing me to lose 25% of my propulsion over four strokes (my normal breathing pattern when swimming with intensity) because of that. We also found that I corkscrew my arm into the water and was loosing out on the catch. I now come in on the same time, but it is much much easier. I have to concentrate on my stroke now, but I know I'm going to be better off for it. I really can't wait to reinforce this new technique and maybe shave five to ten seconds per 100. There is no reason why you can't be more efficient AND faster.

If anyone in LA would like to have their swim stroke analyzed, pm me and I'll shoot you my coach's info.
2006-05-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #434150

Washington
ChrisM - 2006-05-25 11:54 AM

the point being, for a newer swimmer, that shear brute force alone does not increase your speed without proper technique. Many folks do not know this

yes, excellent point.

Edited by Swimmer3 2006-05-25 1:01 PM
2006-05-25 5:02 PM
in reply to: #433669

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
amiine - 2006-05-26 12:16 AM

I DONE THAT DRILL!!! The "sewing machine" drill and loved it. BUT for those fans of TI it will go against of what they have learned… pretty much it teaches you to keep your recovery short, and to improve your stroke count while keeping the recovery with high elbow and to begin the pull from your forearm. GREAT drill

Maybe I'm dumb but despite being left-handed (apparently means great 3d visualisation....) I just couldn't picture this in the way the ST poster described. Does anyone want to try and describe it differently if you're all doing it? Pretty please
2006-05-25 6:16 PM
in reply to: #434585

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
AusVirgin - 2006-05-25 6:02 PM

Maybe I'm dumb but despite being left-handed (apparently means great 3d visualisation....) I just couldn't picture this in the way the ST poster described. Does anyone want to try and describe it differently if you're all doing it? Pretty please

Okay,

Here it goes...(I had a hard time with this as well and it wasn't until the first couple of times that I tried it that it really started to make sense) BTW I'm left handed too and great at spacial visualization and it took me a while to figure it out

Picture a steel rod running through your body (head to toe). Lay face down in the water and put your arms out like you want to do a push up but point your fingers instead of your palms to the bottom of the pool. Then lift one arm out of the water (straight up - arm remains vertical) by using your shoulder and rotating your body. Then rotate back so that the other arm lifts out of the water. You will find that this will propel you slightly and kicking will help move you down the lane - albeit slowly.

Hope this helps,

Shane
2006-05-25 7:39 PM
in reply to: #434644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
gsmacleod - 2006-05-26 11:16 AM

AusVirgin - 2006-05-25 6:02 PM

Okay,

Here it goes...(I had a hard time with this as well and it wasn't until the first couple of times that I tried it that it really started to make sense) BTW I'm left handed too and great at spacial visualization and it took me a while to figure it out

Picture a steel rod running through your body (head to toe). Lay face down in the water and put your arms out like you want to do a push up but point your fingers instead of your palms to the bottom of the pool. Then lift one arm out of the water (straight up - arm remains vertical) by using your shoulder and rotating your body. Then rotate back so that the other arm lifts out of the water. You will find that this will propel you slightly and kicking will help move you down the lane - albeit slowly.

Hope this helps,

Shane

PERFECT - THANKS!!!

Do I reach down with the downside hand orjust leave the upper arm in line with shoulders?

BTW - my fave drill at the moment is one armed swimming, breathing to the off side - has really helped getting me to rotate more. Just wish I could get good enough to do it without fins!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim speed work Rss Feed  

of 2