of 3

2012-05-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4212298

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: RE: Another look at "Body Type"
Ok this is a good discussion.

Just a few things more I can say...

Someone above suggested yes indeed i can decrease the muscle mass in my shoulders, arms and quads. All I have to do is run myself down so that the muscle just goes away. I do not do any strength training as it is, so I am scratching my head. If my body fat is already low, how does that work? Food for thought, or make that no food.

I still do not think that the Kenyan Marathoner could match the strength/speed combination of Richardson (yes a student at Bama, a product of Florida), and no amount of "work ethic" or "determination" would ever get him there. Could Trent, if he had good ankles and better running form, ever do a 2:05 marathon?

I find the mere suggestion of a 5'6" basektball center laughable. How far fetched shall we go here? Its also possible the next winner of the NYC Marathon is 6'6"?

I am a big fan of big dreams, but the recurring sight of certain body types consistently dominating all the major races I've ever seen keeps getting in the way.

2012-05-16 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4213682

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-16 5:32 PM Ok this is a good discussion. Just a few things more I can say... Someone above suggested yes indeed i can decrease the muscle mass in my shoulders, arms and quads. All I have to do is run myself down so that the muscle just goes away. I do not do any strength training as it is, so I am scratching my head. If my body fat is already low, how does that work? Food for thought, or make that no food. I still do not think that the Kenyan Marathoner could match the strength/speed combination of Richardson (yes a student at Bama, a product of Florida), and no amount of "work ethic" or "determination" would ever get him there. Could Trent, if he had good ankles and better running form, ever do a 2:05 marathon? I find the mere suggestion of a 5'6" basektball center laughable. How far fetched shall we go here? Its also possible the next winner of the NYC Marathon is 6'6"? I am a big fan of big dreams, but the recurring sight of certain body types consistently dominating all the major races I've ever seen keeps getting in the way.

I'm 5'6'' and quit playing basketball a long time ago.

In college, I played Water polo and was barely surviving playing defence. I showed up at the training camp for the University team the next year, and not one single guy was below 6'2'' with that swimmer's body I could only dream about. When the coach asked me if I had gotten lost, and knew where I was, I had a feeling no amount of dreaming would help.

I ended up joining the Rugby team Smile 

2012-05-16 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

My opinion is that it would be much easier for a large framed person to adapt to endurance sports than a small framed person to adapt to strength sports.  Not only on BT but on other sites such as Runners World there are many people that have gone from a solid football type body to a competitive AG endurance athlete.  Could a fit 6'4" 250 pound person get down to a size that could compete at the top levels in endurance sports? Possibly, but not without years of hard work.

Conversely, I played WR and Safety through 10th grade.  At the start of 11th grade I was 5'7" and 120 lbs., because of my metabolism I could not gain weight and with weight training got very cut but did not gain much mass.  After the first practice in 11th grade it was obvious that because of my size that my future was not in football.

2012-05-17 5:14 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Just a couple of thoughts on the subject....

1. I do believe some people are more "gifted" (for lack of a better term) at endurance sport than others. These folks seem to be able to reach a competitive level fairly quickly, even on what some would consider minimal training.

2. Most of us do not fall into the category above, but even though we may not be truly gifted, we haven't really come close to reaching our POTENTIAL to perform in endurance sport. It takes years of consistent, smart training to really get there, and honestly most of us here (with jobs, families, etc.) don't really have the time to commit to the sport to really achieve our full potential, so we have to do the best we can given our personal limitations.

3. If you're NOT one of those "gifted" athletes, you have two options - train hard and smart to do the best YOU can do given your available time and/or physical limitations and be happy with your personal accomplishments, or choose another sport....
2012-05-17 6:31 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Genetics tend to play a greater role in ultimate potential than actual performance.  Regardless of genetics, most people never achieve even a fraction of what they're capable of.  They could achieve much greater performance than they do if their training, nutrition, recovery, and psychology were optimized.

Before blaming genetics for unsatisfactory results, first look to these other factors (opportunities!) for improvement.

2012-05-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4214336

Veteran
TriMyBest - 2012-05-17 6:31 AM

Genetics tend to play a greater role in ultimate potential than actual performance.  Regardless of genetics, most people never achieve even a fraction of what they're capable of.  They could achieve much greater performance than they do if their training, nutrition, recovery, and psychology were optimized.

Before blaming genetics for unsatisfactory results, first look to these other factors (opportunities!) for improvement.

Why is it when I was talking to one of the head cardiologists at NYPres Weill Cornell (Harvard Med Schood) , also a amateur triathlete, and I told him my what i thought was a solid marathon goal (Boston Qual), he nearly falls off his chair and begins "With your body type..."

Slightly off topic
I agree: training, nutrition, recovery, and psychology were optimized, but this sounds like a sales pitch, sorry, you might need unlimited money to hire people to figure that out, if you are even lucky enough to find people who are qualified to do so. case in point - I had a exercise stress test V02 max done a few months ago. Outside of the people at the Mayo Clinic who did the tests and analyzed the results (who would be prohibitvely expensive to hire), I have yet to find anyone who could explain what all that data means.

All I know is, you got me a few yrs ago doing all this hard work to be able to get my 10k under 48 minutes, and then you got the guy (different body type) who hasn't run in months, who shows up to the race still basically drunk the night before, and can do it 43 minutes....and he lost a minute because he had to stop and throw up at mile 3.

2012-05-17 7:45 AM

An easier solution is to just do triathlons to justify the purchase of nice toys.

I will agree that genetics does play a difference.  To level the playing field you need to train harder, longer and smarter.   During your next race look at the person who is right in front of you and find some reason that you need to pass them, the brand of bike etc... unless of course your in my AG and it is me then of course my genetics are better so just give up.

2012-05-17 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

One of these things is not like the other . . . .

Top American (and 4th overall) at Boston was 6'3" Jason Hartmann.  Oh, and remember the unreal heat that day?  I'm thinking "body type" isn't a limiter.

2012-05-17 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4214454

User image

NC
roch1009 - 2012-05-17 8:49 AM

Top American (and 4th overall) at Boston was 6'3" Jason Hartmann.  Oh, and remember the unreal heat that day?  I'm thinking "body type" isn't a limiter.

Well . . .

2012-05-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4213682

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-16 4:32 PM ... Someone above suggested yes indeed i can decrease the muscle mass in my shoulders, arms and quads. All I have to do is run myself down so that the muscle just goes away. I do not do any strength training as it is, so I am scratching my head. If my body fat is already low, how does that work?

Calorie deficit.  You don't just lose fat.  You lose muscle, as I said above.  Your body will consume muscle as fuel in a state of calorie deficit.

Try it.  Begin a diet.  You will lose some fat to a point, but not just fat.

Take a baseline measurement of your biceps with a tape measure.  Repeat the measurement 3 times and average to account for slight variations in your technique.

Then diet for 3 weeks measuring your weight loss.  At the end of the 3 weeks measure your biceps again.

2012-05-17 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4214418

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-17 8:35 AM

Why is it when I was talking to one of the head cardiologists at NYPres Weill Cornell (Harvard Med Schood) , also a amateur triathlete, and I told him my what i thought was a solid marathon goal (Boston Qual), he nearly falls off his chair and begins "With your body type..."

If you are serious (and he was too), then one of the head cardiologists at NYPres Weill Cornell was being an idiot at that time.

The thread has morphed to those at the very front of the pack in races.  Yes, most of them tend to share the same body type (to greater/lesser degrees).  Partially this is genetic.  But partially, this is driven by their chosen specialization.  You want to run, and do it well, you become very lean.  You want to play in the NFL, you bulk up (even if you start as a 'skinny' kid).  Not everyone that chooses to do those things will be successful at the highest levels.  Others, who do have some genetic advantages, may also choose to do so.  It's always better to be talented and hard working than merely hard working.  But the latter can often overcome talent that hardly works.

Yes, you can lose that muscle mass that is not used for running.  But it does not happen overnight.  If you had built it up over years and now decide to become a runner, don't expect to see the same results as the guy who ran in HS, got out of shape once he left college, and decided to return to running.  Odds are, it is likley to take you longer to get to the same place as he will in a shorter time with the same training regimen.  Simply because it took you hard work to get to a 48min 10k does not mean you can never get to 42 or 40 or 38.

I think Tom's quote from Clarke phrased it well.  You have created your own reality and, therefore, it is so.  But your version of reality simply does not apply to many others.  And you can change yours if you so desire.

2012-05-17 1:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

A bit of a slant to this but I think it's related.  Just curious, for the other sturdy folks out there who have been successful, how is your run?

I'm age 42, 5'9", and I'm down to 176 after about 3-4 years of tris.  I've recently placed 20 AG in a very large HIM and 5 AG (2 on the bike) in a small OLY.  I feel like I'm just on the cusp of finishing right up there (which I never thought I'd do).  But the guys ahead of me are rocking low to mid 7 min or even sub 7 run paces (depending on the distance) AND they're no slouches on the bike and swim.  I do feel like a low 7 min run pace is unattainable.  Primarily because I'm wary of training the run more, and speed run training specifically, due to the injury risk.  BTW, I am poking around for coaches to help out.

So in other words, for those of you in this thread who have had success, has it been through being uber-fast on the bike and swim or have you been able to be as strong on the run?

2012-05-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4215320

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
smoom - 2012-05-17 2:09 PM

A bit of a slant to this but I think it's related.  Just curious, for the other sturdy folks out there who have been successful, how is your run?

I'm age 42, 5'9", and I'm down to 176 after about 3-4 years of tris.  I've recently placed 20 AG in a very large HIM and 5 AG (2 on the bike) in a small OLY.  I feel like I'm just on the cusp of finishing right up there (which I never thought I'd do).  But the guys ahead of me are rocking low to mid 7 min or even sub 7 run paces (depending on the distance) AND they're no slouches on the bike and swim.  I do feel like a low 7 min run pace is unattainable.  Primarily because I'm wary of training the run more, and speed run training specifically, due to the injury risk.  BTW, I am poking around for coaches to help out.

So in other words, for those of you in this thread who have had success, has it been through being uber-fast on the bike and swim or have you been able to be as strong on the run?

I am 42.  6'2" & generally ~187-192--it is rare that, at first glance, someone would identify me as a runner.  I have run a 3:13 marathon, 1:30 hm and low-19 5k.  My best 10k in a tri is ~42min and in an HIM best run is ~1:36 or so.  I am nowhere near as fast as I can be because (1) I can weigh less and (2) I can run more.  There still may be people who I can never catch in my AG becuase they have some combination of greater 'talent', stronger background in running or train more than I am able/willing.  But I have more room for improvment than those at the very front.  So, at a minimum, I can narrow the gap over time.  I am going to guess the same generally lies true for you.

How much do you run now?  How long have you been running that much?  You should mostly be leery of running too much, too soon.  Not running more, generally.

2012-05-17 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I'm 41 (will be 42 in 3 weeks), 5'9", and 172 lbs.  This is my 5th year of racing tris.  Before that, I focused primarily on strength training, and sports such as skiing and volleyball.  I was nearly 200 lbs when I started racing.

Here is the race report from my first race this year, which was a small sprint with 29 guys in my AG:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=435428

My run pace was 7:14.  I won my age group with splits that were 2nd or 3rd fastest in each of the 3 legs, so I don't feel that I'm any weaker on the run than the swim or bike.

2012-05-17 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4215380

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
JohnnyKay - 2012-05-17 2:32 PM

I am 42.  6'2" & generally ~187-192--it is rare that, at first glance, someone would identify me as a runner.  I have run a 3:13 marathon, 1:30 hm and low-19 5k.  My best 10k in a tri is ~42min and in an HIM best run is ~1:36 or so.  I am nowhere near as fast as I can be because (1) I can weigh less and (2) I can run more.  There still may be people who I can never catch in my AG becuase they have some combination of greater 'talent', stronger background in running or train more than I am able/willing.  But I have more room for improvment than those at the very front.  So, at a minimum, I can narrow the gap over time.  I am going to guess the same generally lies true for you.

How much do you run now?  How long have you been running that much?  You should mostly be leery of running too much, too soon.  Not running more, generally.

Well said, Johnny!

2012-05-17 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I would definitely agree that individuals have different levels of talent or ability specific to each of the three disciplines of triathlon.  I'm not as accomplished as you, but I can usually hang in the MOP of my AG in the swim and bike, but get left in the dust in the run.   

Because the run was my glaring weakness, I've tried to focus on it over the last couple of years.  I've seen improvement, though I'm still relatively slow.  I think my run improvement has been due to two primary factors:  1.) maintaining consistency in my training & 2.) losing twenty pounds.

Some of my weight-loss has been from muscle loss that was non-essential to triathlon, i.e., upper body muscle that I was just hauling around.  I think the weight-loss thing goes to the "reinventing your body" comments that have been made previously.  Even now nobody takes me for a runner, but my physique has evolved to become relatively more suited for running than it was a couple of years ago.

Prior to my triathlon days I was an avid weight-lifter.  I still get to the gym a couple days a week, but now my focus is more on moderate weights/high rep circuit routines.  I'm also at an age (59) where I'm trying to offset muscle loss due to age. 

Age is also becoming a factor in terms of the total volume of training I can handle vs. needed recovery time and the avoidance of injury.  It's a matter of trying to make sure my training stresses quality over quantity.  That's also the reason why I've adopted the Galloway r/w for my long runs; it reduces the wear and tear on my increasingly fragile joints.

I really don't have the desire to do an Iron-distance race, but even if I did, I'm not sure that my body would hold up to the volume of training required at this point.

Mark

2012-05-17 2:41 PM

User image

Expert

This is always in interesting discussion because the ones that lead the pack are typically quick to suggest that it just takes hard work and dedication while those of us in the middle or bringing up the rear would argue it's in the genes.  It's almost as if the fast folks are offended by the word talent as if it suggest they are somehow lacking work ethic but get by on talent.  Or those of us with little to no talent just need to set our minds to it, work harder and go do it.

Because I fall into the "little to no talent" framework it's silly to suggest that I just need to work harder and I too can win my AG.  I am OK with not winning or reaching the podium, I am not OK with just finishing.  So while I will continue to work within my constraints to reach my maximum potential it will likely never include a podium spot unless nobody shows up.  

I would argue as well that the range of Talent is broad.  Not even those that were bathed in talent and work ethic can be elite in their discipline.  How many super stars did you watch in college that can't even make a roster in the NBA?  

ETA:  If you are overflowing with talent, be proud of it.  While I am not the greatest athlete I am pretty good at my job and it's put me at the top of my profession and I am damn proud of it.

Edited by Batlou 2012-05-17 2:49 PM
2012-05-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4215578

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Batlou - 2012-05-17 2:41 PM

This is always in interesting discussion because the ones that lead the pack are typically quick to suggest that it just takes hard work and dedication while those of us in the middle or bringing up the rear would argue it's in the genes.  It's almost as if the fast folks are offended by the word talent as if it suggest they are somehow lacking work ethic but get by on talent.  Or those of us with little to no talent just need to set our minds to it, work harder and go do it.

Because I fall into the "little to no talent" framework it's silly to suggest that I just need to work harder and I too can win my AG.  I am OK with not winning or reaching the podium, I am not OK with just finishing.  So while I will continue to work within my constraints to reach my maximum potential it will likely never include a podium spot unless nobody shows up.  

I would argue as well that the range of Talent is broad.  Not even those that were bathed in talent and work ethic can be elite in their discipline.  How many super stars did you watch in college that can't even make a roster in the NBA?  

ETA:  If you are overflowing with talent, be proud of it.  While I am not the greatest athlete I am pretty good at my job and it's put me at the top of my profession and I am damn proud of it.

It is very important to distinguish between 2 completely different issues.  The OP was speaking about changing his body weight, mainly his muscle mass.  Muscle mass is completely within our control and personal genetics will change how easy it is, but not whether or not it can be done.

So you can have short, stocky people who are great runners and you can have tall, slightly heavy runners who are great.  But what we all need to realize is that body morphology is actually a small part of a distance runner's success or lack thereof.  The lions share of a person's success at distance running is determined by their VO2 max.  If a person has that aerobic talent, they can get light and then be fast.

I've seen equally fast 6'5" 170lb guys and 5'8" 170lb guys.  But if you are 170lbs, you have to be that much better (aerobically) than a 150lb guy simply due to physics.

But in this scenario, both of those 170lb guys could be 150lbs...but for the 6'5" guy it may be super unweildy to be that thin and he could theoretically get slower at that weight due to being too weakened from the work it takes to get that light.

The world's greatest off-road triathlete weighs 180lbs BTW.

For the OP, he doesn't have freaky aerobic genetics or he'd be running fast at his current weight.  But without being any better in oxygen processing he can drop 10lbs and be 30 seconds per mile faster.

2012-05-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4213013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

ecozenmama - 2012-05-16 11:56 AM

Yeah, your slow at first your body is building a fitness level.  You cannot limit yourself to thinking that just because someone is "skinnier" or "looks" like they are in better shape than you, doesn't always equate.  I have run by people who are thinner and therefore should be able to outrun me, right? Nope. 

I totally agree with this! I am 5'6", muscular and 125 lbs. Some of my heavier friends go so far as to call me "tiny". I look like I should be able to swim 100 in 1:20, run a mile in 7 and bike at 20 mph all day. So much for looks! I am such a mediocre athlete, I crack myself up. I started training at all three sports from scratch 2 months ago and it's all I can do to even run 5k at all, let alone run it at a good pace. I learned quickly not to judge books by their covers when I started training and observing those around me who might look less "in shape" but could absolutely crush me in competition! 

Does body type help? Yes. Maybe. Do I believe there are "naturals" out there? Yes. And maybe it's easier to haul around 125 lbs than it is to haul around 175 lbs. But I really think it's attitude and hard work over a long period of time that can really overcome perceived limits.

2012-05-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4215380

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
JohnnyKay - 2012-05-17 1:32 PM

That's really impressive!  Great to hear and very motivational.

During HIM training I run high 20s per week.  This spring I am only doing olympics because of work obligations so I'm around 20.  I generally shoot for 1 interval workout, 1 mid-length tempo run, and 1 endurance run each week.  I have had some chronic hip pain so I watch out for combinations of too much speed or too much distance.  I'm sure I would benefit from some targeted core and leg strength training.  Oh yeah, and I could definitely still drop 10-15 lbs.

Johnny, what's your running MO?

2012-05-17 11:34 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
BMI is the biggest crock of poop when it comes to measuring fitness, and yet I still see it referenced by so-called fitness experts.  It tells absolutely nothing about fitness.  By BMI standards, any heavyweight body builder (with 2% body fat) would be considered morbidly obese. 

2012-05-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4216036

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
smoom - 2012-05-17 8:58 PM

Johnny, what's your running MO?

Run as much as possible.  This means frequently.  Four times per week is better than three.  Five is better still.  As is six.  Seven can be very good at times too, but no reason not to take a day off when you need it.

Don't do a lot of 'speed' on the run.  Some strides, some hill work (I don't do hill repeats, but run hilly routes) and a tempo run now and then can go a long way.  Race a 5k every now & then to push myself (haven't done enough of these of late).  I try to stay in the 25-35mpw range as much as possible--regardless of what distance race (if any) I have at the time.  If I could figure out a schedule that allowed it, I would aim for 35-45mpw year-round (more if I was truly run-focused, but I do want to swim & bike, as well).

There's really not much secret to running.  Most people think running less often will keep them from injury.  But most people would be better off running more frequently (just running shorter durations and less intensity), as this generally leads to allowing you to do more total work over time and build better 'durability'.  And it takes consistency over a long time.  Longer for some than for others.  Many simply don't have the patience (often measured in years, not weeks or months).  Or just don't really want to make a large enough committment for a variety of reasons (nothing wrong with that, but then they DO have to recognize that their performance will be limited relative to others).

2012-05-18 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I have said this about my profession but I suppose it applies to triathlon as well.  Those who work hard will succeed, those with just talent (read body time) but don't work hard have great potential are likely not to succeed, and those who have both the talent and work hard will lead the pack. 

While I agree that the training is the most critical ingredient, there are certain physical attributes that benefit the triathlete, or someone in any sport for that matter.  Indeed, some of these can be overcome with hard work, but most of us can recognize when we have genuine physical limitations and not feel defeated by owning up to them.  I am a very strong swimmer but a lousy runner.  While I am among the first out of the water, I am a MOP AG triathlete.  Can I get faster? Certainly.  Can I win my AG? perhaps.  Am I crushed if I can't win? Hell no.  I enjoy the training and see the races as a chance to commune with fellow kindred spirits.  I would like to win, but honestly, I am not there for that.

2012-05-18 1:27 PM

Veteran
Yes, this is a good discussion. I wanted to stir the pot a few days ago, and at 3 pages so far I guess I did!

I was trying to say I can be ok, if I train really really hard and have a good day, but elite? Do I have a gift, no, and does that gift separate us? yes (believe it or not, even I've had Oly tri's even early in my career where my bike leg avg 23 mph, or a sprint where my run pace avg 7:21). Pretty good for a guy in his 40s who looks like a fullback, and pretty good for my ego on a small race where I might even place. But the reality check is a large race or when I train with a chap who could match me on the bike or pass me, but then run that 10k in 38:00. Oh yeah, he looks like a wide receiver. He'd tell me, "damn you train hard" there's a pool of sweat under mike spin bike after an hour. He hardly looks like he is working at all!

Its kinda funny, guys will ask me at the gym "what do you do to get that kind of definition in your legs", I tell them, "don't do anything, just choose the right parents."

I do agree some elite or gifted folks take offense that we are attributing that success to genes, just like we take offense to being told we didn't run a 28:44 10k only because we are not working hard enough, and just not mentally focused.

And I failed to even mention until now all the people I know who had to drop out of even competing in these types of events due to chronic bad knees, bad backs or chronic problems with shoulders. I swear it is pure genes and luck that I've had all those years of contact sport, and now this running, and never ever a problem with knees (knock wood).

We all want it to be about hard work and determination "you can be anything, if you put your mind to it."
2012-05-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4217141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

JohnP_NY - 2012-05-18 2:27 PM

I do agree some elite or gifted folks take offense that we are attributing that success to genes, just like we take offense to being told we didn't run a 28:44 10k only because we are not working hard enough, and just not mentally focused. 

Here is a description of Hunter Kemper's (US Olympic Triathlete for those not following) training routine from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/post/_/id/2629/kempers-training-routine-not-for-the-timid

Part of the reason some of the Elites get defensive is because they train 32 hours a week, working hard every session, and an AGer comes along and says the only reason they're as fast as they are is because they had "the right" parents.

Those who are successful triathletes (and in any sport) are those who bust their a$$ day in, day out. Training as much as the rest of us work is what gives them all the same body type - Because they're all doing the same thing and developing the same muscles.

I bet with enough time to train, most of us could reach elite status but don't because we simply don't have enough time to even come close to our potential (as others have said). Genetics play a roll when you're talking about the Armstrongs or Scotts or Maccas, but for most of us at the AG level the time we spend training is our biggest limiter.

Train more, and you WILL get faster.

JohnP - I didn't mean to call you out on this, so please don't take offense! It's something I've heard time and time again both on these boards and with folks I meet at local tris. The implication that it's "easy" to be an elite (the implication of blaming the right parents") is simply untrue.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another look at "Body Type" Rss Feed  

of 3