General Discussion Triathlon Talk » people yelling at you while running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4216816

User image

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: people yelling at you while running
bufordt - 2012-05-18 10:56 AM

A few years ago I was running with a friend and I was about 10 feet in front of him when we passed a group of 4 kids on bikes. As I went passed them one of the kids screamed at me and made me jump. While the kids were laughing at me my friend ran past them and screamed at them causing one of them to fall off his bmx bike. I figured we were even.

This made me laugh out loud!!

2012-05-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4216768

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

As a woman I do get the occasional catcall or comment about my rear end. Eh, whatever. Yesterday I was passing a guy who was in his 70s at least and a passerby made a comment about not letting me take him. Now, that's stuff's funny.

I have had a teenager suddenly scream in my face before, but, amazingly, my first response was to scream right back. So, whatever he was trying to accomplish didn't happen.

I've joked with my husband that women should encourage overweight men out jogging by lifting their shirts. If you needed to get in shape and had the possibility of seeing that, wouldn't it encourage you to go running more often? Positive reinforcement!

2012-05-18 1:48 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I get yelled at pretty much every time I'm out on my bike or running, depending on where my route takes me.  I would kill for a running trail close to my house for this very reason.

Though, I'll take the yelling over the one woman who drove alongside me on a winding, country road while trying to take video of me thorugh the passenger window with her smart phone while she was driving.  When I realized what she was doing, I slammed on my brakes and forced her to pass me.  She was scaring the crap out of me!  She stopped and clearly considered waiting for me but then moved on when another car came along.  She had yelled something to the effect of "you're supposed to be in the shoulder" (where there wasn't one!).  Afterwards, I came to the conclusion that she was trying to catch video of me doing something she assumed was illegal.

I'd like to see her explain that video to the cops.  "So let me get this straight...you were driving on the wrong side of the road, shooting video with your phone through the passenger window to show me a cyclist who was following the law?"  "You do realize that it is illegal to use a phone while driving in this state, right?"  "I'm going to have to cite you...idiot".

Edited by GLC1968 2012-05-18 1:49 PM
2012-05-18 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm in Alabama as well and I think in the several years I've been running and biking I've only gotten yelled at a couple of times.  Though the other day I was riding and I was going up a pretty steep hill, I noticed a cow had gotten loose and was within a few feet of me.  Scared the sh*t out of me. Those things are huge.
2012-05-18 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4217136

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

Miles around Midtown - 2012-05-18 1:25 PM

I've joked with my husband that women should encourage overweight men out jogging by lifting their shirts. If you needed to get in shape and had the possibility of seeing that, wouldn't it encourage you to go running more often? Positive reinforcement!

I like the way you think...   We need more good people like you to make this world a better place. 

2012-05-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4216950

User image

Expert

briderdt - 2012-05-18 11:52 AM Lately it's been high school kids yelling things like "gay-@$$" as I ride by.

Why are they looking at your A$$ and how would they know what a "gay" one looks like.....

2012-05-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4217224

User image

Seattle
dsand97 - 2012-05-18 2:17 PM

briderdt - 2012-05-18 11:52 AM Lately it's been high school kids yelling things like "gay-@$$" as I ride by.

Why are they looking at your A$$ and how would they know what a "gay" one looks like.....

I will show you! Wink

Nah, I got a penny thrown at me one time. How do I know it was a penny? Because it left a penny-sized welt on my arm where it hit me. They were probably going about 35 mph or so, but being hit by a 35 mph penny is not fun.

Conversely, I have gotten plenty of encouraging things yelled at me to including, but not limited to marriage proposals and dinner plans. 

2012-05-18 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4217170

User image

Extreme Veteran
GLC1968 - 2012-05-18 1:48 PM

I get yelled at pretty much every time I'm out on my bike or running, depending on where my route takes me.  I would kill for a running trail close to my house for this very reason.

Though, I'll take the yelling over the one woman who drove alongside me on a winding, country road while trying to take video of me thorugh the passenger window with her smart phone while she was driving.  When I realized what she was doing, I slammed on my brakes and forced her to pass me.  She was scaring the crap out of me!  She stopped and clearly considered waiting for me but then moved on when another car came along.  She had yelled something to the effect of "you're supposed to be in the shoulder" (where there wasn't one!).  Afterwards, I came to the conclusion that she was trying to catch video of me doing something she assumed was illegal.

I'd like to see her explain that video to the cops.  "So let me get this straight...you were driving on the wrong side of the road, shooting video with your phone through the passenger window to show me a cyclist who was following the law?"  "You do realize that it is illegal to use a phone while driving in this state, right?"  "I'm going to have to cite you...idiot".

Wow. Just wow. 

2012-05-18 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
A few months ago I was running and noticed a car off my shoulder hovering behind me.  I wasn't too worried since I just got back into my subdivision and was 1/4 mile from home but I was annoyed.  I finally turned around and looked to see that it was my mom who was in town for a visit.  She saw that it started raining and came out looking for me to see if I wanted a ride home.  How cute and mom-like......she thinks a little rain is going to stop me Laughing

Edited by noelle1230 2012-05-18 2:39 PM
2012-05-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4217170

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
GLC1968 - 2012-05-18 1:48 PM

I would pay money to see this stupid woman get pulled over for that. 

2012-05-18 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I can't believe men actually make cat calls at women. I've never done this and it embarrasses me as a man that other guys do this. Teenagers I can see, but adults? That's just pathetic.

2012-05-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4217268

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

guppie58 - 2012-05-18 2:42 PM I can't believe men actually make cat calls at women. I've never done this and it embarrasses me as a man that other guys do this. Teenagers I can see, but adults? That's just pathetic.

On a regular basis. I know that  when I'm not riding with my boyfriend, I'm going to experience some kind of comment yelled at me or cat call. I had one  guy even slow down trying to get my phone number.  If I could find a good group of cyclists in my area to ride with I'd be so happy.

2012-05-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4217268

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

guppie58 - 2012-05-18 2:42 PM I can't believe men actually make cat calls at women. I've never done this and it embarrasses me as a man that other guys do this. Teenagers I can see, but adults? That's just pathetic.

Seriously, this is why I have started driving to the air force base to run.  I have never had once incident running there since it is a military base.  EVERYONE is out running to pass PT tests, etc.  Also, they don't yell at anyone or throw anything because they never know what rank they are making these statements too, so could be trouble for them.  Also, they are military, and I know there are bad apples in every bunch, but I find them to be much more civilized.  

Plus you get some nice pace booty out there.

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-05-18 3:15 PM
2012-05-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4217136

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Miles around Midtown - 2012-05-18 2:25 PM

Skinny guys need positive reinforecement too!  Jus sayin!

2012-05-18 3:16 PM

User image

Never have had any problems except once,

About two month ago I was riding my bike way off to the right of the shoulder, not any where near the actual road. When this redneck @$$ hole in a big jacked up diesel truck slows down to 20 mph and gets next to me and then guns it and his truck makes some black smoke and lots of noise. I quickly gave him the number one salute and I was hoping so bad that he was going to stop becasue I was so super pissed off and I was ready to kick some @$$. But, he kept on going, I never could see who was driving, probably a guy with a really small weiner!

2012-05-18 6:08 PM

User image

I had a similar experience today when someone was taking an exit ramp off the parkway I was on that's very well known to always have cyclists on it.  Because I was going straight, I guess the douche canoe felt obligated to throw his pop can at me and swear profusely because I was 'blocking his exit' off the Parkway.  In those situations really all you can do is look back and grin / face palm.

2012-05-18 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

I've only been yelled at once at it was from a bunch of kids driving by.  Startled me a little but I just ignore them.

The only time I honk and yell at runners is when they're wearing bibs and its usually just me cheering them on.

2012-05-18 6:55 PM

User image

Elite

I think Australia and in particular Melbourne and Sydney so sports minded that mostly when I'm yelled at it's inspiring and motivational!

I run along Beach Road in melbourne (IM Melbourne run course) and it's packed with cyclists at the weekend - they always shout out "keep it up gorgeous, nice work etc"  Never had bad insults or anything thrown at me!

Generally when people yell out at me it makes me smile!

2012-05-18 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I get yelled at occasionally, which sucks. Luckily nothing thrown at me, although I've heard stories of beer bottles, and such..

A long time ago, I had someone blast me with a fire extinguisher out the car window. Now that was scary!

2012-05-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4217607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
jobaxas - 2012-05-18 6:55 PM

I think Australia and in particular Melbourne and Sydney so sports minded that mostly when I'm yelled at it's inspiring and motivational!

I run along Beach Road in melbourne (IM Melbourne run course) and it's packed with cyclists at the weekend - they always shout out "keep it up gorgeous, nice work etc"  Never had bad insults or anything thrown at me!

Generally when people yell out at me it makes me smile!

I'm moving there. Wink

2012-05-18 9:05 PM

User image

I only had problems like this running and riding on vacation in NC.  Contractor guys in pickups on the way to the job at 6AM hate spandex (or people wearing it).  Lots of yelling.  Where I live now - just outside the gate of a U.S. Coast Guard training center, on a National Park property, there are lots of military runners (I'm retired CG), and the drivers are pretty courteous (no shoulders).  On busy Virginia roads nearby, however, it is tough for bikes.  Impatient drivers don't like having to wait for a gap to pass, but there is no other option.  On the larger military bases is actually best place to ride: great asphalt, little traffic and lots of courtesy.

2012-05-18 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Pretty constantly here, from youths and construction workers, but I don't understand much Vietnamese, so I don't know what it is. Frankly I don't give a s.....  When I'm feeling irritable (bricks or PMS) I wear an MP3 player (in a traffic-free area) so I won't hear it the hoots and howls.

In Beijing, where I lived for nine years, I DID understand and it was often suggestive or hostile (anti-American or misogynist stuff); had a few beer bottles thrown at me. Exactly what it was about an average-sized, modestly attired woman running on a public road that bothered people so much, I never figured out. Not like it was a conservative Muslim country, or anything. I do speak Chinese fluently so I had some comebacks--some not printable on a public forum; for the leering construction workers, "I'm old enough to be your mother, you little hooligan!" in Mandarin usually shut them up. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't--just like I was a performing panda--"Look, the panda speaks Chinese."--they'd just laugh and repeat the words back to me. This happens in China to all foreigners, though, not just running ones. Often it worked best just to check watch/ HRM and look really hard-core. At the time Olympic fever was big, so if you looked like Olympic material, they might cut you some slack.

2012-05-18 11:11 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I was at the end of a ride tonight and I had been riding for two hours on hills and the way back had a nasty headwind the WHOLE way back and this #($*(@(*# yells out BOO!! at me as they pass me by.  Woman, too.
2012-05-19 4:23 AM

User image

Master
Hooting and hollering nonsense, no biggie. Once had racial slurs hollered at me. That made me Hulk out and throw up the digits.
2012-05-19 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI

This is why I love running in the woods.  The deer never throw beer bottles at me.  The wild turkeys don't buzz me.  The squirrels don't holler at me.  The birds sing no derogatory songs.  I've been on 2-3 hour trail runs and not seen a single human being the entire time.

The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep

-Frost

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » people yelling at you while running Rss Feed  

of 4