General Discussion Triathlon Talk » people yelling at you while running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-19 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4216768

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: people yelling at you while running

The only people that yell at me while I am running are my friends.  They are yelling, "go chubs go!"

Actually, they yell "Mzungu!"

2012-05-19 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4217914

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
yeats - 2012-05-19 6:41 AM

This is why I love running in the woods.  The deer never throw beer bottles at me.  The wild turkeys don't buzz me.  The squirrels don't holler at me.  The birds sing no derogatory songs.  I've been on 2-3 hour trail runs and not seen a single human being the entire time.

The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep

-Frost

Like.  And thank you for listening to the world's sounds and not your earbuds!

2012-05-19 7:05 AM

Veteran

I was riding the other day and a teenager kid put his head out the window and started yelling "Yea woohoo! Go Lance! yeaaahhhhh! aaahhhh! woohoo!" with a couple of "Texas Longhorn"/"rock on" hand gestures.

I waved and smiled.

2012-05-19 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
yeats - 2012-05-19 7:41 AM

This is why I love running in the woods.  The deer never throw beer bottles at me.  The wild turkeys don't buzz me.  The squirrels don't holler at me.  The birds sing no derogatory songs.  I've been on 2-3 hour trail runs and not seen a single human being the entire time.

-Frost

Nothing to add other than it is pretty cool that someone with the screen name yeats is quoting Frost.  

2012-05-19 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, finally someone else who agrees that's a running poem. My high school English teacher insisted it was about death; I was convinced it had to do with trail running or, at least, a long, peaceful hike in the woods. Clearly I am far too much of a literal thinker to be an English major.
2012-05-19 8:14 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
yeats - 2012-05-19 4:41 AM

-Frost

Ya but, the rattlers rattle at me, the javelinas put their hackles up at me, and the elk block the trail.  It's not all roses on the trails.

2012-05-19 2:12 PM

New user

-Frost

I don't know, I've had the crap scared out of me by grouse and had to jump out of the way of a charging deer. Those woodland creatures can be almost as mean as the asphalt ones.
2012-05-19 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
While Forest Gump was an exceptional movie, it's surprising how universal it seems to be for people to yell "Run, Forest, Run." I've never quite been sure if they are cheering or poking fun, because everyone loves the guy, but he is something of a likeable idiot.

It also is surprising to me that a car full of guys (probably holding hands) feel the need to yell statements about their assumptions of my sexual persuasion. This happened once outside a bar as I ran by a group of about 5 guys having cigarettes. he said something like "nice shorts F**" and I said "I'm running home to my hot wife, have fun hanging out with a bunch of dudes all night" and all the other guys laughed hysterically at the guy who made the rude statement.

When people yell stuff at me they usually get a thumbs up. I usually just shake my head if it's about sexual persuasion, cause I figure a thumbs up might be perceived as confirmation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I figure it's usually a request for a date and I don't need a boyfriend.
2012-05-19 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4218218

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
bufordt - 2012-05-20 9:12 AM

-Frost

I don't know, I've had the crap scared out of me by grouse and had to jump out of the way of a charging deer. Those woodland creatures can be almost as mean as the asphalt ones.

Over here we have wild pigs that pop out of nowhere, those can be scary too.

2012-05-19 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

It's weird, but here in Arizona I get a lot of hassle on my bike (I've been spat at twice by truck drivers (one miss/one hit), 2 obvious attempts to run me off the road, numerous intimidations (reving engines behind me and horn tooting), and lots of lots of "get off the f***ing road/you shouldn't be on the f***ing road" and other such enlightened comments etc).  I have to say that I always obey the road laws, and I usually bike pretty defensively, except when I have to be offensive to stop getting cut off at lights/stop signs etc. 

However, as a runner I've never once had a negative comment, only thumbs up, "looking good/keep going/how many more miles?" or waves/nods from pedestrians and drivers.  Why is there such a huge difference in attitude?  Perhaps it's a speed difference, as I'm fairly fast on my mountain/road bikes, but I'm a painfully slow 10 min/mile plodding runner?  Of maybe it's just drivers don't like bikes on "their roads"....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » people yelling at you while running Rss Feed  

of 4