General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please.
OptionResults
I use capsule/pill salt/electrolyte supplements.
I don't use capsule/pill salt/electrolyte supplements.
I think they improve my training and racing.
I don't think they improve my training and racing.
I've never tried them because I don't feel a need to.
I get the electrolytes and salt I need from other products (drinks, etc).
I haven't used them, but have thought about trying.
Cats are good but I prefer photos of cool airplanes or other unusual animal
This is a multiple choice poll.

2012-05-23 4:23 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please.

I'm writing about a sodium and electrolyte supplement product sold to endurance athletes.

I'd like to hear your insights, from coaches, from athletes. While I'm surveying litereature and interviewing parties both pro and con, and trying to temper that against the backdrop of a product review, I'd appreciate additional perspectives.

What are your experiences, opinions, etc. using Salt/Sodium?Electrolyte capsule or tablet-specific sports supplements?

Many thanks.

2012-05-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4225999

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please.
I'm a huge sweater and on races that are hot, I tend to cramp very easily if I don't take in additional sodium.  While the last race I was in I still cramped, overall I feel that enduralytes have helped me make it through some races.  I think for really hot races (humid and over 85) I need to kick it up with some salt sticks or salt tabs.  
2012-05-23 4:36 PM

User image

I have tried lava salts, Hammer Endurolytes and a couple others.

I've settled on lava salts and found:
< about 85 degrees, none. Sports drink is fine.
> about 85 < 90, one ever other hour if I remember. If I don't it's not a big deal
> 90 < 95 1 every hour. I must remember.
> 95 One every half hour.

If I don't follow that I will cramp up miserably. I've dealt with weather from Thailand to Korea to Floria to Hawaii to Lousiana, I know what I need to do in heat.

If I follow that it's not a problem and the only issue then is conditioning.

Edited by DanielG 2012-05-23 4:36 PM
2012-05-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4226014

User image

Sensei
Sin City

With no personal scientific testing done on my own, so just experience. 

I don't think they do much, I get my sodium in the sports drinks and regular diet.  I save my money for better things...

2012-05-23 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

BOP AG'r  I use Nuun on the bike, in training and races.  Endurolytes caps on long runs when I race.  They seem to work for me. 

BTW: more pictures of cats is always welcome

2012-05-23 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

pretty much use them for hot, long races.

I haven't experimented too much to see where the my limits are, but as a general rule I take salt tabs to prevent cramping.  My hydration plan includes something like Gatorade, so getting some salt from that as well.

2012-05-23 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4226033

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Has anyone every used a sodium/salt/electrolyte product and had a negative experience with it?

Here are three good cats for some good replies. Thank you:

2012-05-23 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4226097

User image

New user
I had to resort to table salt in a cup of water at a trail marathon aid station once. Kind of had to choke it down. That part was a negative experience.
2012-05-23 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4226021

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

DanielG - 2012-05-23 5:36 PM I have tried lava salts, Hammer Endurolytes and a couple others. I've settled on lava salts and found: < about 85 degrees, none. Sports drink is fine. > about 85 < 90, one ever other hour if I remember. If I don't it's not a big deal > 90 < 95 1 every hour. I must remember. > 95 One every half hour. If I don't follow that I will cramp up miserably. I've dealt with weather from Thailand to Korea to Floria to Hawaii to Lousiana, I know what I need to do in heat. If I follow that it's not a problem and the only issue then is conditioning.

I'm pretty close to this schedule as well, give or take.  I found Endurolytes to be pretty useless, but have had good luck with S!Caps.

2012-05-23 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Living in Vegas, I've gotten my share of HOT days.

Last year I've cycled a lot, sweated a lot - but never suffered cramping. I always keep myself hydrated with electrolytes, every single ride.   Now, I seem to do fine without electrolytes for rides under 2 hrs. 

Endrolytes - useless. I felt nothing or notice any changes, but then again, I rarely experience "symptoms of needing a salt tab/Endurolytes/Electrolytes". 

Salt tabs - never tried them

Now it's getting hotter and hotter - and since I'm riding at night twice weekly, it'll give me a chance to try out the salt tablets, and perhaps the electrolytes tablets and see if I actually feel any difference, especially the rides are the same weekly. 

While I know you do need electrolytes for rides longer than 2 hrs and in extreme heat...

My question is this: How do you KNOW you need electrolytes?   Meaning, what are the main symptoms that shows electrolyte loss?    Is there a difference between nutritional cramping and muscular cramping?  In the past, I would just drink my electrolyte mix...that's more of a "preventative". I never experienced any issues, bonking, cramping, etc. So I don't know if it's because I am taking electrolytes or I don't need it.

I've experienced severe calf cramping.  I drank lots of water, and the cramping went away. That's dehydration issue...but if I had Salt tablets with me, would it have made a difference and would it have fixed it quicker than 30-40 minutes of steadily drinking water? (24-28oz total)

Here's my other question:

Does it make a difference if your electrolyte mix has calories (HEED, Cytomax, Gatorade) vs the zero calories (NUUN, Nuun Natural)?   I personally feel that it does.

I'm a KISS gal, but I would like to add some sort of "back up" for the what ifs.     I've seen some of my cyclist friends take in Endurolytes before rides, midway and occasionally after the rides...and the rides are 2 hours or less. It doesn't make sense to me. 

2012-05-23 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I never used salt tabs until I started doing centuries last month. I learned that my legs tend to cramp up over the ride and it seems that if I keep up on taking a salt tablet every hour to 2 hours, I don't have the cramping problem. I am a heavy sweater and often participate in events and train where the temperate is above 80 degrees. At this point, if I think I'm going to have cramping problems, I just take one since as far as I know there is no real downside to taking one. 

2012-05-23 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A related question for the group...

I was running a hard 9.65 mile run yesterday and was playing around with my electrolyte intake to try some things before Boise. I tend to sweat a lot in anything over 70 degree heat when really pushing myself. I took one tablet before I left and one 30 minutes into my run. On top of this, I had one Gu at 45 minutes. I wanted to see how this would sit during a run that I'm pushing myself beyond my normal race pace. Everything seemed fine except a mild cramp in my side between mile 5-6. I drank about 24 ounces of water during the first 7 miles of the run and the temperature was around 68 degrees. Could this cramp have been from having too much water being held in my system or not enough?

As you can see (linked below) it wasn't really enough to slow me down, but I'd like to avoid that risk during race day. I was pretty excited about this run as I did a similar, but slightly shorter, one before my first half marathon in March and ran a sub-1:39 on a very hilly course. I was close to cracking on my previous run, but on this run I still had some gas in the tank when I got back outside my house.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181107209

I only wish I didn't have a long light in the first mile and last .65 miles to kill my time. The slight slowdown in mile 8 was because a little kid fell off his bike onto the edge of a super busy street (luckily no cars for 100 yards). I stopped, told him I crashed my bike the week before and the best thing he could do was hop back on and keep practicing (good deed for the day).
2012-05-23 11:28 PM
in reply to: #4226470

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

PeteDin206 - 2012-05-23 9:11 PM A related question for the group... I was running a hard 9.65 mile run yesterday and was playing around with my electrolyte intake to try some things before Boise. I tend to sweat a lot in anything over 70 degree heat when really pushing myself. I took one tablet before I left and one 30 minutes into my run. On top of this, I had one Gu at 45 minutes. I wanted to see how this would sit during a run that I'm pushing myself beyond my normal race pace. Everything seemed fine except a mild cramp in my side between mile 5-6. I drank about 24 ounces of water during the first 7 miles of the run and the temperature was around 68 degrees. Could this cramp have been from having too much water being held in my system or not enough? As you can see (linked below) it wasn't really enough to slow me down, but I'd like to avoid that risk during race day. I was pretty excited about this run as I did a similar, but slightly shorter, one before my first half marathon in March and ran a sub-1:39 on a very hilly course. I was close to cracking on my previous run, but on this run I still had some gas in the tank when I got back outside my house. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181107209I only wish I didn't have a long light in the first mile and last .65 miles to kill my time. The slight slowdown in mile 8 was because a little kid fell off his bike onto the edge of a super busy street (luckily no cars for 100 yards). I stopped, told him I crashed my bike the week before and the best thing he could do was hop back on and keep practicing (good deed for the day).

23 ounces seems like a lot over seven miles.  If I drank half that much I'd have issues.  If you got a cramp in your side I'd vote it was from too much water not a lack off.  I think the electrolyte tablets are a good idea to be on the safe side at Boise.  Initial forecasts I'm seeing are well into the 70's though this far out could very well be in the 80's through the bike and run.

I learned my lesson Saturday when I cramped severely in both legs at 21 miles into a marathon.  I believe it was due to lack of electrolytes.  I hydrated consistently through all the aid station but just drank water as I don't like the HEED they were serving.  Figured my gels (about eight ounces) would suffice.  While cool it was very sunny and I think I sweat more than I figured.  Lots of salt on my forehead after race.  Other than the cramping felt very strong.  I'll be sure to be taking salt tablets at Boise.

2012-05-23 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks... That is kind of what I figured. I'm guessing a bit of my thirst was also from the 2 salt tablets I had in my system. I will probably take one tablet coming into T2 and then live off the course for the run unless it is really hot, but I'm not sure how I would carry the salt tabs on the run... I use the salt stick tube on my aero bar for the bike.
2012-05-24 8:21 AM

Train and race for Olympic Distance

No electrolytes during training.

Electrolyte pills during races, but only for the bike. The number of pills opened up and mixed with Hammer gel and water for my one bottle depends on the expected temps/humidity.

I like playing scientist.
2012-05-24 8:30 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

I chose: I get the electrolytes and salt I need from other products (drinks, etc)

Personally, I think a lot of what people think is the need for electrolytes is actually a lack of fitness.  That said, when I do distances greater than usual, it does seem to help me ward off cramping when I do take some kind of electrolyte.  I never took tablets before, because I think they are a PITA.  I first realized that salt works after my first HIM when I was cramping early in the run and hit up potato chips and pretzels at the aid station.  They went away after that and I continued my race.  Since then I've found First Endurance EFS.  It has a ton of electrolytes in the drink along with calories.  I find I don't need anything else but that and water on my long workouts anymore and rarely have problems cramping even at longer distances.

2012-05-24 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

I've always thought I am a heavy sweater so this year I self-verified that with a couple of one hour sweat tests. In all previous long endurance events from marathon to HIM to IM, I have had cramping issues, particularly calf and hamstring, especially when it's above 75-80 degrees. I had never tried salt tabs, electrolytes, etc. except for what I would get in sports drink.

This year, I added Nuun during long training sessions and during IM SG earlier this month. During training, I found if I don't take the Nuun or went too light on it, I would sometimes get hit with a cramp on the bike or run. If I took sufficient Nuun, which sometimes meant 1.5 to 2 times the normal serving (e.g. two tablets in 16 oz water instead of one, not twice the amount of water), that worked very well for me. I tried various levels to see if there would be any GI issues or other impacts and I have not detected any. I followed this plan at IM SG and I had zero cramping problems.

This is only one case study for me so far, but I will do the same with a HIM in July and a fall marathon (if I do it) and see if the results are consistent. So far, I'm very encouraged.

Brad

2012-05-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4226848

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I included Salt Stick capsules in my training and racing for the half iron distance.  I did this solely on the recommendation of my coach.  I also had a sport drink with electrolytes (70 ounces on the bike).   I don't have anything to compare it to, but I felt like following her nutrition plan was the key to my (relative) success.   I felt like a million bucks on the run, which is more than I could have ever hoped for.   I also had several very hot sweaty training rides, where I used the Salt Stick caps, and always felt relatively good. 

I can never figure out why Hammer even sells Endurolytes when you compare them to other things on the market.   One Salt Stick cap equals something like 4 (or more?) Endurolytes.  Yuck!

2012-05-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4226470

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

PeteDin206 - 2012-05-23 9:11 PM A related question for the group... I was running a hard 9.65 mile run yesterday and was playing around with my electrolyte intake to try some things before Boise. I tend to sweat a lot in anything over 70 degree heat when really pushing myself. I took one tablet before I left and one 30 minutes into my run. On top of this, I had one Gu at 45 minutes. I wanted to see how this would sit during a run that I'm pushing myself beyond my normal race pace. Everything seemed fine except a mild cramp in my side between mile 5-6. I drank about 24 ounces of water during the first 7 miles of the run and the temperature was around 68 degrees. Could this cramp have been from having too much water being held in my system or not enough?

That was a lot of stuff to ingest for a run of that length, at least it would have been for me. I would have had a side ache (or worse) for sure. I'm a heavy sweater as well, but I might have had maybe 8 ounces of fluid in the hour before that run and 8 ounces from occasional sips along the way, perhaps with some Nuun in it. But that's me and I don't tend to have cramp issues until I get upwards of two hours on a warm day.

Brad

2012-05-24 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
I really don't know what I need when it comes to hydration/nutrition/salt/electrolytes.  I usually only drink when I'm thirsty, but I'm not a fan of water so it's usually some kind of sports drink.  I figure it has a little of everything in it.  There are so many variables each time that I train I can't tell what worked and what didn't.  I'm experimenting now with all of this to prepare me to be able to complete IMLP, without having any problems.  Is it actually making me be able to go further and harder? I'm not sure but as long as I'm not dying at the end then I think I must be getting the right stuff in me.
2012-05-24 9:41 AM

User image

I use endurolyte capsules.  I normally take 2 before the start and 2 every hour or so.  I only use them if doing training 2 hours or longer.  It's not so much a cramping issue for me, it just seems to help with how I feel overall.  If I don't take them, I feel nauseous after I race. 

2012-05-24 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
At hot races like Kona, Galveston, or most Texas HIM's I'll take at least 1,200MG additional sodium. I lose a lot of fluids and the sodium does 2 things: helps me absorb all the fluids I need to take in and just simply stops the cramping.
2012-05-24 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I personally have no desire to take sodium or anything else of that nature.  I'd rather get what I need through gels and regular food.  I used to surf a lot and remember every time I'd get even a little salt in my mouth I'd start dry heaving.  Every time I read about somebody taking salt tabs it makes me want to hurl.  lol

2012-05-24 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4227047

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Thank you Tony, and everyone who replied. Appreciated.

This is a tough one to write and provide some balance. It's going to be interesting.

2012-05-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4227097

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-24 9:19 AM

Thank you Tony, and everyone who replied. Appreciated.

This is a tough one to write and provide some balance. It's going to be interesting.

To say the least. This is a tough subject as there isn't a lot of medical research that supports aggressive sodium supplementation. If anything most research recently has been movoing away from that concept. Also all the examples are N=1 and it's athloetes who may be confusing fitness issues with sodium/electrolyte issues. They start using a product and they stop having issues and attribut it to the supplemewnt when in reality they may have just become more fit. And lastlty, many assume "heavy sweat/salt on clothes" means they are loosing too much electrolyte but that's not a true tell. The only way to know is to do an actual lab test, which no one does.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt/Sodium/Electrolyte Tablets: Your Perspective Please. Rss Feed  

of 2