United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 36s
Overall Rank = 177/6895
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 36/589
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 for this one. Ugh! I had to make the drive to Des Moines and the shuttles started taking people to the start at 5:00. I always like to give myself plenty of time. Probably more than necessary, but I've done races where I've had to scramble to get to the start on time and I really don't need that stress. So I kind of hung out and tried to time my last bathroom trip so I could get out of there and make my way to the start. As I started wading through the sea of people in the corral, I realized that it was going to take far too long to get there so I hopped the railing fencing everyone in and jogged along the embankment up to the front of the line. I made it with a few minutes to spare so I chatted with a coworker of mine until the gun went off.
Event warmup:

I guess that little jog counts
Run
  • 1h 24m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out fast. It's hard not to. My coworker said he wanted to hang with me for a while, but I didn't wait around for him to keep up. Such a nice guy I am. The legs felt good and the slight downhill sections in the first few miles were fun to cruise on down. I was running 6:40-6:45 pace for the most part and kind of in shock at how much easier this felt than the last half marathon I ran when I tried to hold the same pace. I was working hard, but not overly taxing the system. Maybe the training is starting to pay off?

There were plenty of spectators along the route to keep things interesting so the first half went by pretty quickly. There was a slight wind out of the south in our faces so I tried to tuck in behind a couple of people running about the same pace. I hit the 10k mark at 41:36 and was satisfied with the split, knowing that the second half would have a couple of climbs mixed in whereas the first half was mostly downhill or flat.

I took the first climb pretty well and the next couple miles still felt good. Around that point in time some guy caught up with me and said, "Let's go pick some people off." "Sounds like a plan," I replied. We did just that and ran hard together for at least a mile. Turns out he was friends with one of my old college roommates (who ran a blistering 1:20:26) and they both ran Boston in April. So we talked running and triathlon for a bit until he started to pull away. I tried my best to keep up, but my legs couldn't move any faster. I told him to go on ahead and I did my best to keep the pace as high as I could. There was only a couple of miles left and I gutted them out. When that finish line came into view I sprinted in as best as I could, happy to cross, and thrilled with the time.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not go out as hard. Seems I'm always running on fumes at the ends of these longer races. It'd be nice to finish strong or negative split
Post race
Warm down:

Had a chocolate milk and beer (not together) and walked for awhile. Chatted a bit with the coworker I left at the start (he finished less than a minute behind me) and my late mile running buddy and my old roommate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

?

Event comments:

I can't believe this race has doubled in size since I last ran it four years ago. It's still well run and I liked the slight course change and the finish area is much better than before. First race this year where I've been really pleased with the result. It was a 4.5 minute PR for me and nice to finally see some payoff with the high training volume. Now I just need to get to work the next 18 weeks so that pace feels easy in Chicago

Last updated: 2012-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:36 | 12.43 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/589
Overall: 177/6895
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly southern route from the Saylorville dam to downtown Des Moines
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Dam to Dam 20k

2012-06-04 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4244723

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Dam to Dam 20k
Yay! Nice race! smoking fast! (already said it to you but I figured I would post pad... haha) Can't wait to see you BQ!
2012-06-06 7:13 AM

User image

Champion

Great Race, NEAL!! Sweet PR. I would guess it is hard to have a negative split when the first half  of the course is easier than the second.

I am glad you didn't have the beer and the chocolate milk at the same time.... eeeewww.

2012-06-06 9:02 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sweet PR!!

Congratulations!  Can't wait to see you BQ!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam 20k Rss Feed