Playtri
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 6s
Overall Rank = 47/143
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race early and got a spot on the end of a rack towards the run exit. Set up transition, walked around and checked out the water. Missed the 10 minute warm up.
Event warmup:

Not much. Walked around before the event.
Swim
  • 14m 18s
  • 770 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start went along the beach. I think the buoys were on the move. Rounding the first buoy was in about 3 feet of water. A bunch of people stood up and walked around the buoy. The race was supposed to be 500m but it was probably more like half a mile by my time. They later updated the distance to 700m but I think it was a little longer. My goggles fogged for the last quarter of the swim and I couldn't see anything. For some reason, I didn't have alot of people around me at all during the entire swim. I started in front and seemed to stay in a nice quiet pocket for the most part.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to keep my goggles from fogging. Cost me some time at the end due to unnecessary zig zagging at the end. Still felt very strong at the end.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I have decided in the past few races to just put my feet in my shoes in transition and ride at the mount line. My coach suggested this and I don't think there is anything to gain from messing with shoes after you get on the bike. Longish run from the water to my bike. Left my Keens down by the carpet. I think that was a good strategy.

Not much actually.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

A few of the hills caught me by surprise as I rounded a corner. I was not prepared and was in the wrong gear. Really cost me some time. The second time around was much better as I was prepared for what was coming. Forgot to shift into the big crank for one of the downhill sections and that cost me a little speed. Had a group of non-racing cyclists who surrounded me at one point. I asked them to either move on or get behind me. Thank god I didn't get a penalty when I was in their pack.

Next time, I will try to drive the bike course when I get to the location before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Good in transition. I took a second to take a shark salt before I headed out on the run. I think that was worth the few seconds invested. I really felt good heading out on the run.

Nothing much.
Run
  • 24m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

My running has been coming along. I really didn't think I was going this fast. This is the first race my run time has averaged less than 8 minutes per mile. I am very happy with the run results today. There were not many volunteers at the aid station so it was difficult to get enough water between drinking and dumping on my head to keep cool.

Keep training and get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bottle of water, banana, popsickle and walked to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went on vacation two weeks ago and haven't put alot of miles on the bike in the past few weeks. I think my fitness level on the bike was a little off. I was more interested in getting in an open water swim. I think the bike split should have been faster. The buoy situation in the water was a little wacky and very few volunteers at the run aid station didn't help.

Event comments:

The lack of volunteers was a problem. The referee on the motorcycle almost took me out on the bike portion. Park was pretty active with non-participants. Swim buoys were all over the place. I'm not sure what was going on there. Post race activities were non-existent for the most part. I signed up late so it wasn't great for the money. If I registered early it wouldn't have been so bad. SWAG bag was pretty lame. Mostly advertisements.

Last updated: 2012-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:18 | 770 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 48/143
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Tri shorts and top
Course: Sort of a rectangle that finished close to where the start was. Swam along the beach, left turn to far buoy, left back towards start, left to swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 13 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 43/143
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course through park at the lake. A few surprising hills that slowed things down some. U turns at both ends were really tight.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:49 | 03.11 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 54/143
Course: Out and back through park roads. No shade whatsoever. Park roads were open so I had a few encounters with other cyclists and runners.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No