General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality slowly warping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-06-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4286591

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Reality slowly warping

Having been a pretty serious golfer (got down to a 5 handicap) and now into triathlons - Feels like the same. 

Golf - belonged to a country club, there were cart fees, balls, and then clubs - talk about an obsession oh my - spent way too much time on ebay. 

Triathlon is similar to golf - there is a big jump in added performance in golf in buying nice clubs (my Mizuno clubs were a god send to my game) but the law of dimishing returns set in and in fact you can overbuy in golf - I bought a set of high end irons that when I was on where amzing but really showed my flaws too. 

That is how I have to remember about triathlons  - will buying a tri-bike make me faster than the bike I have now (a Trek 1.5 that I have converted in a tri setup (again way too much time on ebay and this site). 

You can buy performance in this and other sports to a limit and then its talent and hard work. In golf, there is the saying - it in the dirt (the practice range). Here its on the road, in the pool, and in the saddle.

So, I quit the club this year - I miss golf some but I have more time at home, I am way fitter and have a new lifestyle

2012-06-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4286906

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Clempson - 2012-06-29 11:50 AM

wbattaile - 2012-06-29 12:26 PM How much does a bass boat cost? I am guessing many multiples of what I have spent on triathlon gear so far.

i have always thought it's a little ridiculous how much some people spend to catch a few fish.  to each his own i guess...

Heh, heh...

I took a trip to Canada with my oldest son and some other boy scouts one year.  Amortizing just the $15(Cdn) license over the fish I caught worked out to about $75/pound, but it was still a good trip.  Some of the other adults were fishing with lures bigger than the fish I caught. 

2012-06-29 10:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
The money warping doesn't bother me as much as the workout warping. I started off just going to the gym and using an elliptical for 30 minutes every other day, and I was fine with that. Now if I don't do a significant workout everyday I feel like a big lazy loser. I don't like feeling like a big lazy loser. 
2012-06-30 12:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Awwww yeah I remember the feeling I got a few years ago when I randomly looked at the price of tri bikes. Yikes! I promised myself that I would never spend that much money on JUST a bicycle.

Fast forward three years and now I have one of THOSE bicycles sitting in my bedroom, and to think I really didn't even bat an eye at the money. I have to say though, I love to look on people's faces when I tell them that my bike is worth more than my car. Or there is also that look of amazement when I talk about going 40+ mph down a hill, on a bicycle.

Yeah triathlons are expensive but I also look at the cost of healthcare (lets not get started on that one here), medications, chronic health problems, so and and so forth from an inactive and unhealthy life style.

2012-06-30 2:22 AM

User image

I just tell myself it's cheaper than a cocaine habit.
2012-06-30 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4286726

JeffY - 2012-06-29 11:47 AM

I probably shouldn't mention that I currently have 11 bikes?

Need to make it an even dozen.  I'm sure there is one you need.  Cyclocross, fixie, 29er, recumbant, unicycle

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality slowly warping Rss Feed  

of 2