General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman training - Collegiate Swimmer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-20 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4321249

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Half Ironman training - Collegiate Swimmer
You can most definitely do it, but be careful. Since you are no doubt flat footed being a swimmer you'll really need to make sure your in the correct shoe to avoid injury. Get fitted and gait analyzed. One thing you will always have in the bag is FOP on the swim.

2012-07-20 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4317917

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

As others noted, you could finish in October.  You could finish now.

But I'll concur with those who suggest you look for a sprint (or maybe olympic distance) or two instead.  To do running right, you need to build up gradually.  You likely have a very good engine, but need to build the chassis.  That's not something you want to rush too much.  The shorter race will keep you focused on doing that better.  And in the off-season, I would continue to focus heavily on running & biking.  Look for local 5ks to run.  Maybe by next spring look into a half marathon.  You could consider an HIM next year, but I still think if you want to be 'fairly serious' that you should focus on sprints and olys again.

2012-07-20 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Madison
My guess is you'd survive one. If that's your goal, great! But you'd be working in the opposite order of how you'd probably like a race like this to go. From best event to worst! I'm the opposite. Running is usually my forte, and swimming my worst. So I love getting off the bike to run. The key for you is to get the nice EASY miles in, and keep building on them weekly. You've got a great cardio base to bank on, but you've got to get those muscles firing early and often for your run legs. I'd start trying to run almost daily, but not far, not yet. Even if it's only 2-3 miles now, then 3-4 in a week or two. Then switch to a couple short days, then maybe 1-2 long, VERY easy days over an hour. You don't NEED to actually run the distance to know you could do it on race day. It helps mentally, but not a must. Definitely get in some brick training so you know how your legs do off the bike. But if you're that gung-ho about finishing one. Go for it. If it were me, I'd concentrate on the Sprint/Oly distance this year, then build for a HIM next year. You'll most likely find it more enjoyable, and with such a stellar swim background, you could do REALLY well.
2012-07-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4321582

New user

JohnnyKay - 2012-07-20 8:34 AM

But I'll concur with those who suggest you look for a sprint (or maybe olympic distance) or two instead.  To do running right, you need to build up gradually.  You likely have a very good engine, but need to build the chassis.  That's not something you want to rush too much.  The shorter race will keep you focused on doing that better.  And in the off-season, I would continue to focus heavily on running & biking.  Look for local 5ks to run.  Maybe by next spring look into a half marathon.  You could consider an HIM next year, but I still think if you want to be 'fairly serious' that you should focus on sprints and olys again.

Why wait a year?  This is a person who already has more athletic ability and training in the tank than 99% of triathletes.  He can immediately handle the training.  Telling him in the peak of his physical years to wait a year and do a bunch of sprints seems illogical.  I think there is a big misunderstanding of the level of fitness required to be an athlete as his level.  He already knows what it is like to put in 20+ hours a week of training and do major dty multi day long high intensity competions.  

2012-07-20 11:12 AM

Yup, a D1 endurance athlete, be it running, cycling, swimming, or skiing etc. will DOMINATE at AG triathlon events with only a modicum of training. It's even easier for swimmers who have the most technical part down already and just need to build some muscular and bone/tendon strength in their legs. It's a bit harder for HIM distance just because it's so long but at oly and definitely sprints, I'd bank on a D1 swimmer to be in the very pointy end very, very quickly, if not their first race. 
2012-07-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4321827

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Poseidon1650 - 2012-07-20 11:31 AM

Why wait a year?  This is a person who already has more athletic ability and training in the tank than 99% of triathletes.  He can immediately handle the training.  Telling him in the peak of his physical years to wait a year and do a bunch of sprints seems illogical.  I think there is a big misunderstanding of the level of fitness required to be an athlete as his level.  He already knows what it is like to put in 20+ hours a week of training and do major dty multi day long high intensity competions.  

I took him at his word that he is interested in wanting to be fairly serious about triathlon.  He sounds like he has the pedigree to do so.  Starting out by focusing on the HIM distance may not be the best route for him--especially lacking the run background.  I assumed he might not want to be like 99% of the triathletes out there and, instead, might like to see if he can be the 1% (or better).

If, OTOH, he simply want to 'do the distance' then he is good to go (though the run will be relatively 'ugly', as previously noted).

Edit:  I do find it humorous that you 1) assume I don't know what it like to be an athlete at his level and 2) appear to dismiss some relatively high intensity enduance racing as something beneath someone at the peak of his physical years.  Perhaps you should watch some upcoming races in London.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2012-07-20 12:13 PM

2012-07-22 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4322058

User image

Minneapolis, MN
JohnnyKay - 2012-07-20 12:07 PM

I took him at his word that he is interested in wanting to be fairly serious about triathlon.  He sounds like he has the pedigree to do so.  Starting out by focusing on the HIM distance may not be the best route for him--especially lacking the run background.  I assumed he might not want to be like 99% of the triathletes out there and, instead, might like to see if he can be the 1% (or better).

If, OTOH, he simply want to 'do the distance' then he is good to go (though the run will be relatively 'ugly', as previously noted).

Edit:  I do find it humorous that you 1) assume I don't know what it like to be an athlete at his level and 2) appear to dismiss some relatively high intensity enduance racing as something beneath someone at the peak of his physical years.  Perhaps you should watch some upcoming races in London.

words can not express how much i agree with Johnnykay!  I was a division I (non all american) swimmer 20 years ago and the ONLY running we did was pre-season out to the football stadium, with 5 sets of wheelbarrels up the bleachers.  This was an attempt to get people to quit the team. It worked well at weeding out the swimmers who were not ready for a collegiate season.  

With the exception of very few of my teammates, we were the ugliest runners you have ever seen.

He will have to engine to do be first out of the water, and probably top 1% on the bike.  and possibly be able to muscle/will thru the run.  However that is not the optimal performance, and potentially a recipe, for injury or at least hating the running.

I am not saying dont participate in and probably winning his age group, if not top 10 overall; in the HIM.  However, doing a race or 2 prior to the HIM will provide a huge amount of insight and education. Also the OP question was is it doable: YES.  However read up on pacing.  Save a lot of energy for the run.  You might not go as fast as you want, but the worst thing in the world (for me) is being spent half way thru the run.  Unfortunately this take a little practice also.  

Also getting well fit running shoes and a gait analysis.  Really are a must.  Swimmer legs work differently.  they are very loose in the joints.  And unless you run a lot, then it is a completely foreign movement.  Run frequently with short distances, and If  the OP is still associate or near unsaid college, then go make a friend with someone on cross country or the cross country coach.

some running form pointers can make running much more efficient, enjoyable, and resistant to injury

Edited by peteweb55403 2012-07-22 4:46 PM
2012-07-22 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4321827

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Competitive swimmers at the OP's stated level have spent so much time in an environment that puts almost no stress on the skeletal system that most cannot immediately handle the training.  As others have said, they are particularly at risk for injury due to their "big engines" combined with "weak chassis" and also specifically because of the high training levels and intensity that you mention.

Their experience and fitness level results in a tendency to go long and hard in all aspects of their training, because that is what they know, when that is exactly what they should not do with run training unless they are prepared to except the higher likelihood of injuries (specifically stress fractures).  This is why I agreed in my earlier post that having a coach to manage the OP's run training could be a good idea.

2012-07-22 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
I no longer consider myself a beginner (1.5 years in tris, including 3 HIMs), although I'm not as seasoned as many, my belief is if you are a strong swimmer, you are already a huge leg up on the rest of the field. Honestly, the "swimmers" out there believe swimming is so easy they don't understand how the rest of us struggle. At least that is my impression from personal interaction and reading message boards

I would love to hear that really good swimmers struggle on the bike and/or run. Not because I'm a sadist, but because I'd like to know that someone struggles with cycling or running as much as I struggle with swimming.
2012-07-22 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4324296

New user

TriMyBest - 2012-07-22 5:08 PM Competitive swimmers at the OP's stated level have spent so much time in an environment that puts almost no stress on the skeletal system that most cannot immediately handle the training. 

Most?  Um, no, 100% incorrect.  Even advanced age group programs include hours of extensive dry land training weekly.  Then, in college, all programs include significant dry land and cross training routines.  Take a look at a high school kid who goes off to a D1 program when he comes back the next Summer if you need proof.  In fact, dry land and strength training is becoming an even larger part of collegiate training programs.  

Seriously, "can't' handle the training?"  That's patently wrong.

2012-07-23 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4324316

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Poseidon1650 - 2012-07-22 6:24 PM

TriMyBest - 2012-07-22 5:08 PM Competitive swimmers at the OP's stated level have spent so much time in an environment that puts almost no stress on the skeletal system that most cannot immediately handle the training. 

Most?  Um, no, 100% incorrect.  Even advanced age group programs include hours of extensive dry land training weekly.  Then, in college, all programs include significant dry land and cross training routines.  Take a look at a high school kid who goes off to a D1 program when he comes back the next Summer if you need proof.  In fact, dry land and strength training is becoming an even larger part of collegiate training programs.  

How much running do they do?  The OP here already admitted they are not in as good shape there.

2012-07-23 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4324316

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Poseidon1650 - 2012-07-22 6:24 PM

No.  It's not.

There is adequate evidence of decreased bone density in competitive swimmers to suggest a more conservative approach to run training than would be used with elite athletes from other sports is prudent.

Here is a good article about the issue that also references some relevant studies:  http://www.swimmingscience.net/2010/07/bone-mineral-density-in-swimmers.html

Edited by TriMyBest 2012-07-23 12:10 PM
2012-07-23 1:15 PM

All,

Your responses are appreciated more than you know!

To solve two problems/concerns:

1. I am easing into running (despite what I'd like to be doing)

2. I am planning on racing an olympic at the end of August.

Thanks again!

2012-07-23 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4325887

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Seriously, if you are able to make a good transition into running, odds are you will be very successful in this sport.  Not all swimmers are able to do so, but the ones that can tend to do VERY well.  Easing into running may not guarantee you success, but it will improve your odds.  Best of luck.
2012-07-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4317963

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
FloridaTriGirl - 2012-07-18 11:26 AM

KSH - 2012-07-18 12:21 PM  I'll say this, swimmers sometimes a hard time (injury prone) with running

This has been my issue. I have a swimming background and have been plagued with running injuries. I didn't know this was a trend though - is there reasoning behind this?

I definitely second ramping up your mileage safely and possibly using Galloway. Part of training is getting yourself to the starting line healthy. That is a big deal for me as I start to pursue greater distances.

This was me too (old swimmer from AAU days) and injury prone until I started doing BarryP workouts.  I haven't been injured in a year now (used to be every 3 months like clockwork).

2012-07-23 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4326059

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

JohnnyKay - 2012-07-23 3:11 PM Seriously, if you are able to make a good transition into running, odds are you will be very successful in this sport.  Not all swimmers are able to do so, but the ones that can tend to do VERY well.  Easing into running may not guarantee you success, but it will improve your odds.  Best of luck.

x2.  As you are easing in to running (and biking a lot!) think about this:  you are probably YEARS away from your maximum potential for success at the HIM distance.  On the other hand, you are entering your period of maximum potential for success at the Oly distance right now.  And your relative strength in swimming means that really Oly is a great distance for you (assuming, as JohnnyKay says, you can really turn on the running) because it is the distance in which swimming is the most important (in comparison to HIM and IM).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman training - Collegiate Swimmer Rss Feed  

of 2