General Discussion Race Reports! » RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon II Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RaceVermont.com Sprint Triathlon II - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shelburne, Vermont
United States
Racevermont.com
Total Time = 1h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = 111/112
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Pre race: still a little nervous but focused on getting my area set up and went down to the lake for a quick swim and to get used to the water temp (not really needed because it was warm). After that I actually felt better than I had all week and returned to the transition area to chill until the race started. Scott came over and talked to me for a bit until the pre race meeting. Then the guys lined up to head out for their swim and I realized I hadn't wished Scott luck or anything so I ran over and told him I expected him to win then I went and lined up with the girls. I tried to place myself behind the people wearing wetsuits as I just had tri shorts and a tank top but in retrospect would maybe have done better threaded a little further up.
Swim
  • 17m 25s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim: Unlike Scott I did not cut my feet on the Zebra mussels but we also had to wade out a little ways in the water before the race to what seemed like a randomly chosen and non specific spot. I had my earplugs in and hadn't even reached the spot where people were lined up (I was far from the only one) when the gun went off. WTF? Oh well. I started swimming and caught up to the group. I did manage to pass a couple of people on the swim and found sighting in a group to be a little easier than alone. I do feel like I have to lift my head so much to sight though that I drop my feet. Not sure if there's a better way.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

One of my goals this race was to act like I was actually racing and cared about the result so when I came out of the water I ran to T1 and tried to hustle through. T1 and T2 times are not posted so I'm not sure how I did but not having a wetsuit/socks it was pretty easy to be fast. I put on my helmet, sunglasses and shoes unracked my bike and ran to the line. I was happy to see a handful of bikes still in T1 as I left.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 1s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 15.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike: As Scott stated-I felt really strong on the bike. I was actually kind of impressed with myself when I started not only passing others but leaving them behind. I wasn't trying to beat anyone but I didn't hold back. I figured I am a slow runner even at my best pace so I might as well push as hard as I want to on the bike and let everyone pass me on the run-they would anyway. I stayed in my big chainring in the front for most of the ride and even a few of the short upgrades. I only had to granny gear a couple of times and was able to use my middle ring for most of the uphills. I could be stronger here but I'm planning to work on that this winter. Scott passed me on the first loop (his second) as I had slowed down for a moment and was readjusting my butt in the seat. He yelled to me to keep my feet moving before I realized it was him. I was like "Oh, crap-of course he had to pass me in the few moments I was slacking". He told me later he had been behind me for a while and I was glad he hadn't only seen my worst moment. I'm glad he told me to keep my feet moving, though because it got added to my mantras and will probably remain there.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was again pretty quick. Helmet/shoes/sunglasses off, running shoes on again no socks. I was off running. Again I wanted to give all I had so I tried to run strong out of T2 even though my legs and feet were numb. Scott was already done and cheering me on.

Run
  • 37m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Run: The run starts on a long but otherwise gentle hill. It's not so gentle after a hilly bike ride when you can't feel you legs, though. At that point it feels like cruel joke. At least 3 people passed me on that hill. I kept trying to remember to push myself to run really fast and I would speed up but it didn't stop me gettting passed or that the gap between me and the people ahead of me kept growing. Then I'd forget and settle into a pace. I don't know If I slowed or just forgot to focus on going faster but every now and then I'd remember I was supposed to be pushing myself and try to speed up just to forget again. I was hurting and couldn't keep my mind where I wanted it. The course is an out and back and I was surprised at the turn around to see four people still behind me. I had thought by then that I was last. Three of them passed me on the way back in. As for the one who didn't-I told Scott when I finished that I had beat one person but she was really old. My perception may have been a bit off, though, because checking the results she was only about 10 years older than me. Oops. I was really tired. When I hit the downhill running back to the transition area I just let gravity work my speed. To be honest, I lacked the energy I needed at this point to put on the brakes. Thank God I didn't have to. I wasn't sure my legs could hold me. When the finish line was close I tried to dig deep and find a little sprint in me. I finished as strong as I could then doubled over for a few minutes before I could stand up and move again. I had wanted to cheer the woman behind me in but I stood there as long as I could without seeing her and somehow missed her when I went to find my bike. Scott brought me some cold water for which I am eternally grateful and I think I drank the whole bottle in practically a single gulp. I had to move my stuff quickly because they were picking up the racks.

Post race
Warm down:

Post race: Normally I'd go right home without grabbing more than some water but I wanted to wait and see if Scott won an AG award so I grabbed a 1/4 of a bagel and since there wasn't much food left I put cream cheese on half and PB on the other half. It was gross and dry. I also grabbed some more water and a couple of orange slices which were awesome. I signed up for and lost the wetsuit raffle and stood with Scott and his awesome family while they called out awards. It turned out they only gave awards for 1st in each AG. When that was over I got in my car and headed home. I have to take a ferry home and I usaully get out of my car and enjoy the breeze but I was too tired to stand for so long so I sat in my hot car for the 20 minute ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All in all I had fun and I really think I gave it all I had because there was nothing left in the tank when I was done. I'm slow. What can I say? I really do plan to hit the bike hard this winter and I'm hoping that another 25lbs or so will help. I'll get there-I'm really sticking to the plan. I think I can really get strong on the bike with some work and for not having a wetsuit or focusing too much I think I have th potential to do well on the swim. As for the run? It's always been slow. Again, weight loss will help and so will speed workouts but really I think it's going to take a lot of patience. Part of my limiter is that to get the miles I need to within the time constraints of my life I need to be faster. I simply can't run as far as I want to in the amount of time I have to work with but I AM CONSISTANT and I have improved so I will get there eventually.

Last updated: 2012-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:25 | 500 yards | 03m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/112
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Really not sure this was 500 yds.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: