General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo vs. vegan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-24 5:56 PM

Subject: Paleo vs. vegan

Okay, I am so confused!!!  I just read Scott Jurek's book, "Eat and Run" and felt convinced that vegan (or at least vegetarian) is the way to go.  A few days later, I read some posts on the paleo diet and borrowed the Paleo Diet for Athletes book and that sounds like it makes sense too! 

Please give me some feedback on both or either.  I totally agree with getting rid of processed foods and sugar.  It is giving up things like brown rice and quinoa that seem a little drastic to me.  Maybe whole foods is the way to go?!?!

I am a new triathlete and feel I am ready to take the plunge and really clean up my eating.  I just want to make a wise, informed decision on what I should or shouldn't eat.  I love meat and cannot imagine giving that up but on the other hand, love legumes, rice and quinoa as well.

Thanks for any advice!

2012-07-24 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4328707

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Paleo vs. vegan

While I am certainly not an expert, I do have an opinion or two. 

I personally have been delving into the Paleo plan for the last few months. I have felt beyond GREAT when I follow it closely (I rarely am 100%--mainly because I am lazy....); my energy levels stay way up, and my weight drops pretty steadily (something that I need). The levels of protein in the Paleo diet are quite adequate for building muscle, and the fat and carbs are ideal for energy production...

I am not as familiar with the vegan diet, but the one issue that I do hear is that even with a large amount of legumes, there is not enough protein available for an athlete. 

If I am wrong, please let me know, I only point it out because I have read it in numerous studies/books; but I am curious too, though I do enjoy meat WAY too much to give it up! I just try to eat humanely raised/fed animals.....

2012-07-24 7:40 PM

A few months ago the magazine that Lifetime Fitness had an article where they compared the 2 and had "experts" from each side give their opinions.  What it boiled down to is that you should find a balance between both.  Which (to me) seems less extreme.  
2012-07-24 7:58 PM

Yes, it seems like combining them may be the best.  I will look for the article you mentioned.  I have always been an athlete but triathlon has motivated me like nothing else.  I am training for my first HIM next month and want to make sure I take every advantage possible for a healthy body.

We have our own chickens and get a side of beef from some friends down the street so I know how the meat I am eating was raised. 

Is it possible that some people really need meat?  I went raw for 3 weeks a few years ago and felt like crap after 2 weeks.  Just don't feel satisfied.  On the other hand, whole grains seem like a good idea too.  Just so confused!  Maybe the thing to do is just get rid of refined foods (like Sun Chips).  I don't eat a lot of that but boy, after a long run or bike, I really want salt and there is nothing like a handful of Stacy's Naked Bagel Chips. Tongue out  Does that craving ever go away if you do paleo?

It wouldn't be too hard to give up dairy.  I made a New Year's Resolution to start drinking milk and eating yogurt this year and can choke it down.  It wouldn't be a stretch to quit that though!

Thanks for the replies!  Looking forward to hearing more!

2012-07-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4328750

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kgore - 2012-07-24 6:47 PM

I am not as familiar with the vegan diet, but the one issue that I do hear is that even with a large amount of legumes, there is not enough protein available for an athlete. 

This is wildly false. There are an abundance of sources of protein out there that do not include animal products. Vegetarian and Vegan athletes (including professionals) have thrived on this diet without ill effects. Google "plant protein sources" for a world of options.

As for the two diets, I agree they both have amazing benefits. Athletes thrive on both. If I were you I'd pick one and experiment. See how you feel. Go from there.

Edited by lisac957 2012-07-25 9:40 AM
2012-07-25 10:37 AM

2012-07-25 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
I agree it is confusing. I'm struggling with understanding these points of view, too, and tryingto lower my cholesterol & BP on a vegan diet, but am hungry and fatigued most of the time. If you read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, you'll never look at whole grains the same way again.
2012-07-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4329593

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
lisac957 - 2012-07-25 7:40 AM

This is wildly false. There are an abundance of sources of protein out there that do not include animal products. Vegetarian and Vegan athletes (including professionals) have thrived on this diet without ill effects. Google "plant protein sources" for a world of options.

As for the two diets, I agree they both have amazing benefits. Athletes thrive on both. If I were you I'd pick one and experiment. See how you feel. Go from there.

Okay, that's good to know---like I said, I had seen that in many sources, so I was thinking it was true--thanks for setting me straight! Smile I will definitely check it out. I am also curious as I am notoriously picky about different veggies (so many that I don't generally eat--its obvious that I NEED to broaden my horizons!

2012-07-26 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
As a vegetarain that was trying to eat heathier and gain more race/train energy I took a long hard look at what I ate.
Although vegetarian, there was way too much processing in there and the dairy was rediculous over the time I logged it.

My friend recommended watching 'forks over knives' on Netflix, although I am not as extreme as Rip Esselstyn promotes, a plant based diet has taken me to my HM PR, the strongest I've ever been and the lightest/least body fat also.

I think the less processing the better ( the only part of Paleo I agree with) and everything in moderation will take you a long way. The animal product decision is more of a moral one than a performance one.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-paleo-diet-is-uncivilized-and-un...

Also look up 'Finding ultra' by Rich Roll, a very interesting guy that has been throuf real world crisis and come out the other side with the help of a vegan diet and a love for endurance sport.
2012-07-26 9:58 PM

Yea, it's a bit confusing for sure.  I've read Loren Cordain's book as well, am about half way through "wheat belly".  Everything Cordain talks about makes very very good sense to me. 

I'm fairly certain that although it can be tough/frustrating at first, processed and/or refined foods should pretty much be avoided.  There are just too many things the "food scientists" do to that stuff, and yes, even the companies that market their stuff as all natural, etc.  Processed foods are big business and they are in the business of making money, period, they are not in the business of truly trying to nourish you.

I've had starts and stops before on the paleo diet, but am on day 20 right now and I really do notice a big difference in many regards.  I'm sleeping way, way better, my mental sharpness is noticeably different (see sleeping better), and I'm seeing improvements in my run splits even though it's hot and humid as hell.  It's very possible that eliminating the grains/gluten and dairy are what has fixed the sleep, and it may have nothing to do with the processed angle, but I'm not sure I care, cause you probably can't find anyone that says fruits/vegetables aren't flat out the most nutrient dense foods you can consume. 

I don't know, I like meat, we've been buying some grass fed beef from our local farmers market, have gotten some chickens in the past, and although I must admit I don't think much about the human treatment of animals, I really believe these local farmers treat their animals much better than "factory" animals are treated. 

You'll learn alot on here about nutrition, some people obviously will have some strong opinions rooted in their moral/ethical beliefs, some more scientific, etc. 

But definitely, in my humble opinion, vegan or paleo, ditch the processed stuff.

2012-07-26 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4328750

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Even as a plant based ultra endurance athlete of 6 years who grew up on a dairy farm, I would never tell some one to go vegetarian or vegan for health reasons. Same as I would never say the same thing about a paleo diet. An issue I have is that if you were swayed to a vegetarian diet by health claims who says you will not as easily be swayed by the health promises of another diet.

However, EVERY single good diet has one thing in common. Whole food. That is the key to health IMO. If you took my vegan diet and added a small amount of organic or grass fed meat to a meal every day, there would be zero change in my health.

I avoid animal products for ethical reasons, and I do not think there is any arguing that the source of 99.9% of the meat and animal products in the world's food supply is disgusting from an ethical point of view. Hell, I don't even think from a health point of view anyone can argue against factory farms being garbage.

When people ask me about diet (I have a degree in nutrition as well) I never bring up avoiding meat unless they inquire. However, my advice is always the same. Eat real food, mostly plants.

If I am wrong, please let me know, I only point it out because I have read it in numerous studies/books; but I am curious too, though I do enjoy meat WAY too much to give it up! I just try to eat humanely raised/fed animals.....

These vegan legs of mine have not had an issue with a lack of protein. The only time I've ever supplemented with it is a small amount of chia seed or hemp pro in my (almost) daily fruit smoothie.

Edited by ipull400watts 2012-07-26 11:52 PM

(306919_10150896049491274_842934354_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
306919_10150896049491274_842934354_n.jpg (49KB - 14 downloads)

2012-07-26 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Cool--I definitely stand corrected! Smile

I know I won't be going vegan, but its just due to my overall picky-ness--but at least I know now that should I go that route, I can get all I need! Thanks!

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread...now back to the original poster's questions.....

2012-07-27 4:38 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I agree with others who say that whole foods are best, no matter what your diet.  I am 100% paleo.  I have been for the past year and in the past 30 days, I've been quite a bit more strict with it following the Whole30 extremely successfully.  I love, love, love eating this way for what it has done for my health, my body and my brain and I have zero plans to ever change it.  

BUT, I also know of many, many super healthy and happy athletes out there who are vegan or vegetarian....so paleo cannot be the answer for everyone (shhh, who said that?  I'm gonna be tossed out of the paleo community for typing these words!).

I also know people who mostly follow a vegetarian and almost vegan diet, chock full of vegetables and whole grains who look awful (and I don't mean overweight).  Sallow skin, health problems, clearly suffering from poor nutrition.  What is the difference?  The person.

I am really starting to believe that if you are eating WHOLE FOODS and mostly plants, the grains vs meat debate (which is really what separates a vegan from a paleo person) is entirely individual.  

Everyone is different, so to say that the 'healthiest' diet for everyone is the same seems a bit presumptuous to me.

2012-07-27 9:23 PM

Thank you all so much for the wonderful info!  I guess I have confirmation on my original thoughts to get rid of the processed food and focus on whole food instead.  I loved the article and that seemed to confirm this as well.  I guess too much of anything can be bad.  Also, I am finding there must be a difference in grains.  Wheat seems to be on a different level than say, wild rice.  I will read the book on wheat that someone suggested and may try to give that up for awhile and see what happens.  I know a man from run club that gave up wheat and boy, does he look different!!!  He lost so much weight and looks much healthier. 

BTW, those are some impressive vegan legs and I will make sure to pass that photo on to anyone who has the protein question again!  HA!

Thanks to everyone again!

2012-07-27 9:35 PM

I gotta say, this discussion really has some "meat" to it, haha.  Really though, in my novice opinion I'd have to agree with everyone that step #1 = whole, real foods, period.  step #2) fine tune as you wish. 

You'll probably find that when you focus on whole, real foods the wheat will probably just go away as a by-product, cause you simply don't find it in that many whole, real foods.

Don't give up on it.  I know you said you travel alot, etc., but get creative, be true to whatever you decide for a certain period of time, you won't regret it.  It's a processed world, so going with whole real foods is somewhat out of the norm, you'll be thinking, "ok, now wtf do I eat..........I'm going to turn into a carrot, banana, sweet potatoe, etc.

2012-07-27 9:36 PM

oh yea, by the way, i've never said this to another guy, but nice legs dude

2012-07-30 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
One thing I have learned over my many years of reading and studying nutrition and how it affects the body (I'm no expert, but have read about and studied voratiously for over 2 decades just for my own curiosity) is that by far and away everyone responds to things differently. Everyones body is different and really only through trial and error will you ever truely find what works for you.

Three vastly different examples of how Paleo and vegan diets affect people differently are these:

In regards to wheat and why some people thrive when they give it up entirely is that ultimatly they have an allergy or "sensitivity" to it that will cause inflamation that disguises itself as things like weight gain, lethargy and other illness. My good friend growing up was ridiculously allergic to grasses and pollen but would eat oats, barely and other wheat products religiously. She was never really healthy for most of her life. She was never really overweight, but was far from strong and healthy. She got tested for gluten sensitivity and sure enough her body could not digest and process grass based foods. When she finally when gluten free, her health did a complete 180 and she felt amazing. Conincidence....I don't think so.

My dear b/f was a red meat and milk drinker his whole life. He was fairly healthy, definitly not overweight and very active. At age 51 he was dianosed with a very aggresive form of prostate cancer that would have killed him within a year if it had not been caught as soon as it did. While reading about cancer prevention online, he came across numerous articles from the American Cancer Socity that has confirmed in study after study that the protein from red meat and Casine (milk protein) directly feeds/causes prostate cancer. (I believe this was also mention in the previously referenced Forks over Knives video) (So much for the long term health benefits of the Paleo Diet for him)

I am a very strong believer in the long term health benefits of a vegan and largely (50-80%) raw food diet. You cannot beat the hands down nutritional powerhouse of organic plant based foods. However with my bad luck I was born with a genetic defect that has caused my red blood cells to be very small and somewhat lazy. The cannot properly carry oxygen throughout the body...which is just awesome when your trying to train for endurance events! Anyway, as much as I want to stick to a plant based diet, I have to ingest the red meat based iron from animals (it's call hem iron, and is different than plant based non-hem iron) or else I will feel like a huge tired slug and be out of breath all day. I'm not happy about this, but I have no choice. Goodbye vegan diet

So my point is, you must, must, must find what works for you, is healthiest for you and that you can stick to for decades into the future. I highly advise getting some bloodwork done to check for any sort of deficiences, allergies or other issues to determine what will work best for your body. No doubt, hands down, whole, clean, organic food is best, (whether it's plants or animals) but you need to know what your body responds to first before you know what is good for it and what is fighting with it and keeping you from being at your very best.
2012-08-20 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I know I'm late to the party again but I love this thread and absolutely love how respectful and civil every one of these posts have been. I was hesitant to click just because of what could have been and I'm glad to see everyone respecting everyone else. I'm an ethically charged vegetarian but I'm not actually pushy at all (my boyfriend still eats meat though a lot less) and I'm teaching a class called Public Speaking for Advocates this spring. I'll use this thread as an example of people with differing viewpoints having an informed discussion. So good to see
2012-08-29 8:25 PM

User image

Baton Rouge

I was riding in the Hotter than Hell 100 this weekend and saw a bilboard with "The All-American Meal" on it, Huge double Burger, Fries and a Coke. I said to my buddy, thats the problem. All things in moderation. I am still debating the Bacon Diet vs Bourbon Diet.

2012-08-30 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4387278

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Kugie - 2012-08-29 8:25 PM

I was riding in the Hotter than Hell 100 this weekend and saw a bilboard with "The All-American Meal" on it, Huge double Burger, Fries and a Coke. I said to my buddy, thats the problem. All things in moderation.

Yeah, it's quite sad
2016-03-09 12:10 PM

Hi there - I am triathlete and wholistic nutrition advocate for over 15 years total - I believe and follow the plant-based way of life. That said, I'm very happy to help you dimistify your questions. I know a lot about this topic as I'm a certified In Integrative Nutrition and Plant-based approaches. I am what I eat and I can walk the talk. I would love to help because it can be confusing and I've been doing this for so long that if anything I can provide you the best what would work best for you.

2016-03-10 5:58 PM
in reply to: 0

Here's my story. A little over a year ago I went to a diet that I would say is mostly paleo. Like 95%. Meat, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit. I kicked the wheat habit. No taters, pasta, rice. I've lost 35#, gotten off of both my cholesterol and BP medicine, feel better, more energy, etc., etc. It took me a couple of weeks for my palate to start really appreciating whole foods and to not miss some of the things I'd given up. But it was much, much easier than I thought.

For anyone even considering a paleo diet, pick up Cordain's book "The Paleo Diet". The message resonates with me and it makes sense from a scientific standpoint. The premise is that we've been around millions of years and that our bodies evolved to run off of what folks could kill or gather. Modern agriculture has been around for a mere 1000 years and our bodies simply are not designed to be fueled by the food we've invented in those last 1000 years. We simply can't evolve that fast. As mentioned by others on this thread, many of man's chronic illnesses are simply a result of our bodies reacting to things we should not be eating from an evolutionary point of view.

Paleo works for me so I am sticking to it, but to each his own. And yes, this 60 year old late onset triathlete will be doing his first HIM in June. Nutrition has been part of what has made this possible.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-03-10 5:58 PM
2016-03-10 6:44 PM
in reply to: scubamom1973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by scubamom1973
Please give me some feedback on both or either.  I totally agree with getting rid of processed foods and sugar.  It is giving up things like brown rice and quinoa that seem a little drastic to me.  Maybe whole foods is the way to go?!?!

I am a new triathlete and feel I am ready to take the plunge and really clean up my eating.  I just want to make a wise, informed decision on what I should or shouldn't eat.  I love meat and cannot imagine giving that up but on the other hand, love legumes, rice and quinoa as well.

Thanks for any advice!

A highly unprocessed diet is good. A diet very high in fruits and vegetables is great. A varied diet is good. A diet without a huge amount of meat is good (hopefully a diet with zero factory farmed meat, that stuff is truly nasty). Also, be aware that the 'paleo' part of the paleo diet is complete fiction. If you have any doubts about that, just take a look at a what a pro says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
2016-03-10 9:04 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks
Originally posted by scubamom1973 Please give me some feedback on both or either.  I totally agree with getting rid of processed foods and sugar.  It is giving up things like brown rice and quinoa that seem a little drastic to me.  Maybe whole foods is the way to go?!?!

Thanks for any advice!

A highly unprocessed diet is good. A diet very high in fruits and vegetables is great. A varied diet is good. A diet without a huge amount of meat is good (hopefully a diet with zero factory farmed meat, that stuff is truly nasty). Also, be aware that the 'paleo' part of the paleo diet is complete fiction. If you have any doubts about that, just take a look at a what a pro says: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

exactly.  the whole "paleo" thing is a gimmick.  you should definitely cut out the processed crap though!

2016-03-13 2:52 PM
in reply to: scubamom1973

User image

There's no need to go on any sort of diet. Clean and healthy eating is everything you need. If you REALLY want to take it a step further, like going paleo or vegan, you can do that, but it won't make you any better than just eating very clean and healthy food, with a lot of vegetables and fruits. 

Definitely get rid of the processed foods, and for carbs, stick to whole grains (swap the white bread for sour dough bread or similar and the white pasta for brown rice etc.).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo vs. vegan Rss Feed  

of 2