General Discussion Race Reports! » Canadian Championships - Long Distance - Magog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Canadian Championships - Long Distance - Magog - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Memphre Magog, Quebec
Canada
Club de triathlon Memphremagog
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 07m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

I was focusing on Olympic distance this summer, but I had to do this race. I cramped up really badly on the bike last year, could not run so I had some unfinished business

I am diabetic (T2) so have limited ability to take on calories. You will note this in my nutrition comments

This is a tough course. No wetsuit and long swim, very hilly and hot.

I got up at 3AM, and had breakfast while driving, and drinking too much coffee. Pretty well standard
Swim
  • 37m 13s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Course was long (2160m). I swam pretty straight so it wasn't just me. And the times were abonormally slow.

So if 2160m I am happy. If it really was 1900m, I am not happy

This race had ITU rules since it was a world championship qulaifier. This meant that IF you wore a skinsuit, you had to wear it for the entire race. You could not remove a piece of clothing. Very weird. So I swam in my trip top/shorts no skinsuit
What would you do differently?:

Probably not much. I swam this pretty easy wanting to keep the most possible for the bike
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Pretty smooth T1. One of the advantages of no wetsuit
Bike
  • 2h 44m 50s
  • 90 kms
  • 32.76 km/hr
Comments:

The goal was around 210watts normalized and a low VI. I ended up 211w 1.07 VI, so I guess I could have been a little smoother. I did ride the last 10km at lower power when I had one thigh cramp up.

But it is a hilly course. About 3400ft. First 30km is 3 good climbs, then 30 km of rolling hills, then the same first 3 climbs in the opposite direction.

The climbing was good. I was finding it much harder to keep the target wattage on the flats. I was watching HR, wattage

Last year, with 2km to go, both inner thighs completely locked up and I could not do anything. I had to stop after the bike. It happened again in Florida but I was able to shake it off and complete. So I was nervous. Sure enough with 10km to go, one locked up. I did not panic, dropped a gear or two and backed off the watts. I rode like this for 10km and I got to T2 ok

As a diabetic it is hard to take on calories. This was my best executed nutrition plan to date. I made my own mix of IM Perform, putting 34g of carbs per 32 oz of water (half the normal concentration). I sipped on hat, 4 oz every 7.5 minutes. So I was drinking 32oz/hour and consumin 34g carbs = 136 calories. Low by normal standards but high for me.

I also threw a GU brew in the mix so was getting about 600mg of sodium per hour.

It was really hot out so the volume of liquids and sodium seemend to work well

Maybe back off a little on the uphills and work the flats a little more
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Not much, pretty smooth

Not much, pretty smooth
Run
  • 1h 40m 40s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 47s  min/km
Comments:

I started the run feeling good. My plan was to run by HR, first lap at 151, then 153, 155, 157+.

Hr was well under control, I had my watch autolap at 2km. Buzz....9min which was a 4:30/km pace. That is a little fast but I was feeling good and I assumed it was just the inability to properly perceive pace after the bike. So I just kept going

I finished the first loop and did not see the turn to start the 2nd, and I went straight past the finish line. The official jokingly said, you either missed the turn around or you just became Canadian long distance champion. I laughed, he took my bib number, I turned around, went back and got back on track. So I probably lost 30-45 seconds or so here

My watch autolapped after another 2km and I was still on a 4:30/km pace. I knew this was a little too fast and I would pay for it later.

For the first time in my life I took on carbs on the run. I was taking 2oz of fluids every 2km and 2g of carbs = a whopping 10 calories per km. What a pig!

I was slowing down slightly, still holding 4:30-4:40 pace until the 16th km, last loop. I was starting to cramp up so I decided I would walk an aid station and get some fluids in me. I was only taking 2oz of fluids per 2km, which is not enough. So I walked one aid station for about 1min which means I probably lost 30 seconds overall. But it helped a lot. I decided to walk a few aid stations to get liquids in me.

Half way through the last loop, about 2km to go when I hit the top of the hill I decided to try and pick up pace, ignore everything. Last 2km were at a 4:45 pace. I was toast at this point

I really wanted to go sub 1:40 for the run and I ended up at 1:40 with the screw up on the first lap. So I'll take it

Not screw up and look at the signs
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the medical tent to get my glucose checked. All good.

Total calories : 110g carbs = 440 calories total for bike & run. Highest ever but well executed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fear of cramping. fear of running out of gas. I need to learn to suffer better.

Event comments:

This was the most calories I have ever taken on a HIM and I think it helped a lot. I think the bike was properly paced. If I were to do this race again in 2 months I would pace the bike the same, a bit smoothe on the downs and flats and try to keep my run pace more even.

Last updated: 2011-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:13 | 1900 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
One big U shape
Suit:
Course: Course was definitely long. Garmin in bathing cap which is pretty accurate measured 2160m.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:50 | 90 kms | 32.76 km/hr
Age Group: 4/
Wind: Little
Course: Very hills. Over 1100m (3300 feet) climbing
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:40:40 | 21 kms | 04m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 4/
Course: 4 loops, pretty flat with one good hill in the middle
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-25 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Canadian Championships - Long Distance - Magog
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Canadian Championships - Long Distance - Magog Rss Feed