Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 135/481
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, put in contacts and shaved. Back and bike were loaded from the night before. Picked up Teri and we headed to now-familiar Joe Pool Lake. Breakfast was a yogurt and bag of shredded wheat.
Event warmup:

Ran the start of the course for 10 or so minutes. Then got in the water for a quick 100m or so warmup before the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 14m 53s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did a much better job nagivating on this swim than some of my other recent races. It helped that Jack had put a lot of bouys out. I'm not very experienced in choppy conditions, and although I had my share of water as I was trying to breath, it didn't really affect me.

Lots of avoiding other swimmers, especially early on, which doesn't help my balance in the water. But I think I recovered pretty well. Overall, I'm pleased with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Just need some more open water practice for sighting and keeping my head down on breathing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

No problem with socks today, so it was an acceptable T1. I was faster running my bike out than some, and got a good jump onto once past the mount line. (didn't really slow down at all)

I need to try swimming with my HRM strap under my tri top again to see if I can get it to not slip down. I waste too much time dealing with this.
Bike
  • 48m 9s
  • 16.78 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Was having a pretty good ride. Managed to keep the pace up, even into the wind (except for that one tactical error where I sat up to check my rear tire as I was crossing the bridge - bonehead move.)

BUT... after the turnaround and heading back to the park, the rear started getting squirrley under me, and I was losing speed. I had to stop. It wasn't a flat, but I was definitely very low on air - a bad leak. I was a little over 30 minutes into a ride I was estimating around 50. I shot some CO2 into it and decided to take my chances.

Managed to start making up some lost ground, but after 5 minutes or so, I could tell it was losing air again. Then I found myself calculating the tactics -- how far do I go on a low tire before I put another shot of air in? Pull over now and do it so I can keep a higher speed and run the risk of having to do it again before the end, or push a little longer before adding more air. I think I timed the second stop pretty well, as I managed to make it back to T2 without stopping again.

Overall, I lost about 2:15 of riding time, plus the speed to slow down/start up again each time. Official time as 48:09, which put me 24th in my age group on the bike with a 20.9 mph average. Without the mechanical problems, it looks like I would have been about 45:56, 18th on the bike with a very nice 21.9 average. Kinda frustrating, but I'm pleased (and somewhat surprised, actually) to say that it bum me out or affect the rest of the race.

Need to spend some time inspecting that tire and tube and see if the tire needs to be replaced. I'm tired of mechanical problems during races.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

I had a great dismount. Got shoes opened and feet on top of pedals very smoothly this time. Didn't slow for dismount at all, and ran the bike to the rack. Was first one back to my rack, and rack shifted when I through my bike up, which cost me a second or two to reset.

T2 seems to consistently be my shining segment. Ooh, lucky me. :-) 4th in the age group (would have been 3rd if not for the rack).

Nothing.
Run
  • 22m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Woo hoo, you mean I made up places on the run? Really? You're kidding, right. That never happens for me..

A surprisingly good run for me. Felt slow coming off the bike (and very briefly walked part of the first aid station), but my mile one split was around 7:42. Found another runner to pace with, and we pushed each other somewhat for the remainder of the run. Arms and legs started feeling heavy (full?) after the last turnaround, and I wondered how strong I was going to finish. But in the last tenth of a mile, I outsprinted my running partner (yes, we both said "let's go!" so it wasn't underhanded) and I passed two guy about 30 yards ahead of us.

Overall, one of my best 5k times.

Need to do a little more running in the heat and the sun.
Post race
Warm down:

Aaron (JeepFleeb) found me right at the end. We looked for Haley (Comet) coming off the loop, but she had already passed it and was headed off towards the dam. I cheered for Teri to finish and then grabbed some water.

After 10 or 15 minutes, I did a second loop of the run course. (in a respectable 27:15) After that, I got more to drink, had some pizza once it arrived, and stayed around for the start of the awards.

There were fresh-made smoothies for sale, and one tent of equipment, but I didn't really visit either.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Primarily mechanical issues, and I need to work on getting into my running rhythm faster. I still don't feel really smooth until after the first mile.

Event comments:

As expected from Jack, a well-run, organized, safe race. Not a ton of frills post-race, but credit for plenty of pizza and gatorade. I was surprised a little at how very competitive the age group times were, and I think there were quite a few long-course triathletes who raced in this Sprint.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:53 | 800 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/52
Overall: 166/481
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle swim, starting near shore and into the sun. Wind was causing a little chop, which we were going with on the outbound and inbound legs, but fighting against on the parallel-to-shore leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:09 | 16.78 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/52
Overall: 202/481
Performance:
HR Max: 176 HR Avg: 168
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop, very flat, mostly north-south, including two segments on the dam over the lake. Most of course on good concrete, two lanes, with one lane coned off for cyclists. Plenty of police and traffic control.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:14 | 03.11 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/52
Overall: 104/481
Performance: Good
HR Max: 194 HR Avg: 177
Course: Flat, minimcal shade, asphalt roads in the park. Two water stations, each passed twice during the course. (So 4 possible water stops) Visible mile markers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Metroplex Sprint

2006-06-12 6:41 AM
in reply to: #450718

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint
Now THAT is a SMOKIN' run time. Not too shabby on the rest of the race either, even with the mechanical problems. Great job!
2006-06-12 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race.  Nice, fast bike and run times. 

Tire recommendation: Continentals, I rarely have a flat...can't even remember my last one.  They may not be the lightest, but definitely don't have flats.

TJ

2006-06-12 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great job! I agree, this was a very competitive race. Lots of people in mid-season form at this one.
2006-06-12 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey nice job dealing with the leaky tire on the bike...still had impressive time! Thanks for the encouragment on my race report. I am excited to have my first race of the season done...now time to hit training hard and get geared up for Ironhead dallas on July 16th and perhaps the Prairie Man Half IM..........happy training!

-Anant-
2006-06-12 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

I think what made that race even greater for you is how you handled the bike, then kicked it up a few notches on the run.  Excellent recovery!  Missed meeting you this time around - I'll make a point the next race to look you up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Rss Feed