General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-08-18 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength.

Look, fair warning. I am not going to be rational here. Not for a while anyway. And with all the real problems in the world, and people actually suffering, I feel like a failure of a human being for letting myself be so upset about this. I had three funerals in 2 days last week, and I am currently rotating between three hospitals for visits to sick people right now. My mother broke her wrist Sunday. People around me have real problems. I have a problem of property, so I am trying to keep perspective, but it's hard.

But here it goes anyway. 

On the way to my local sprint tri this morning, my bike disappeared. that's exactly what I mean to say. I don't know if it was stolen, I don't know if it fell off my car. I don't know if both happened. All I do know is that it was on my bike rack (along with my wife's bike) at one point in our journey, and when we got to the race, it was gone. The only place we were stopped in between was the dunkin donuts drive thru for an egg sandwich and a coffee. 

I have driven the road back and forth a couple times, it is not along the road. The police had no reports. I've surveyed businesses at key intersections - nothing. This is not a high crime area by any means, but this happened along a stretch of highway with a lot of pass through traffic, and could have been an opportunistic grab. The traffic was low at the time of morning. By now it's very very heavy. People are heading to the little league world series. 

I am sick. If I knew it was stolen at point X, I would at least know. If it fell off my car and was run over by a truck and I could spot the mangled carcass, at least I would know. 

I am in the twilight zone with this thing, and I am really really upset. 

I cannot afford to replace this bike. That was probably a problem in the first place. It was a low-end road bike, but I added a good saddle, shimano pedals, expensive (to me) wheels and TT bars. All I have left of it is the front wheel, which was not on it at the time. I am wondering if the imbalance made it easy to fall off the cheap rack I use. 

I just can't imagine someone coming upon it at that time of morning and not putting it to the side of the road or giving it to the police. 

Did I mention I am emotionally sick over this? I'm a complete mess. As far as I feel right now, this is my final sign that I do not belong in triathlon. I still have major trouble changing a bike tire. I am so out of my element, beyond just being the fattest most ridiculous looking person in bike clothes anyway. This just settles it. This is for other people, apparently not for me.

I'm looking for advice. The location where this likely happened has little police - 3 officers, so there isn't even 24 hour coverage. Their phone number is an answering machine right now. Emergencies go to the state police. They have no reports. We went to the township building where the local police would be if on duty. It's not sitting there. 

I've called the three closest bike shops with a description in case it comes in one way or another. One bike shop is right next to where the tri happened, I was imagining it sitting on their porch, delivered by a good samaritan. 

The tri organizers made an announcement in case anyone saw it on their way. Nothing. 

This is most likely the end of triathlon for me. I know that intellectually, I should be the kind of person who doesn't let this stand in my way, who overcomes a minor problem and sucks it up and finds a way. Especially when I see people in wheelchair bikes, I wonder which of my excuses is good enough - the answer is none. I know all of this. Right now, I'm not feeling like the warrior who will make these goals no matter what. I am a broken and emotionally drained wreck. 

2012-08-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4369235

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength.
I think you're so upset because you do belong in triathlon.  If it didn't matter to you you wouldn't care.  Take some time off, get refocused and find a cheap used bike to get back to your training.  You'll be glad you did.  By the way, if I lost my bike I'd be very upset myself.
2012-08-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4369237

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
blynott - 2012-08-18 12:54 PM

I think you're so upset because you do belong in triathlon.  If it didn't matter to you you wouldn't care.  Take some time off, get refocused and find a cheap used bike to get back to your training.  You'll be glad you did.  By the way, if I lost my bike I'd be very upset myself.

Well put. If I lost my bike,I'd be crushed, and I'd be going through all the same emotions you are.

You do belong in this sport. You've been an inspiration to a lot of people along the way. You need to keep going for them as well as for yourself.

You're not done yet.
2012-08-18 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I think you are more upset about the other things going on in your life.   But you are a man of the cloth so who do you get to complain about the stress of dealing with other peoples problems?    This lost bike is the one thing that you can publicly complain about, so you might just be magnifying the bike problem more than you should.   That's human nature.  

God doesn't give you more problems than you can handle.    Re-adjust your attitude and deal with it.

I don't have a complete bike to send to you but I have a quite a few spare parts.   I am sure others here do too.  I will be more than happy to send you the things that I can.   Perhaps we as a group can get you back on wheels.

2012-08-18 1:11 PM

User image

NC
Time for a run/swim focus.
2012-08-18 1:11 PM

OK, breathe. Take a deep breath. Today is NOT the day you quit tri's. Today sucks cause your bike disappeared-sucks really bad. You have had a hard row to hoe with the issues with your firends and family so this seems like the last straw. It is not.

Like the others said-take a few days to really rant and rave, then go swimming and running.

You have earned your place here and that doesn't go away with the loss of a bike. Your strength didn't go away with your bike-it isn't attached to any THING. It is IN you.

Today is NOT that day.....

2012-08-18 1:12 PM

User image

NC
What size bike was it?
2012-08-18 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm so sorry to hear about your bike and the whole mystery surrounding its disappearance. I am afraid that I can't offer any advice on that topic, and it sounds like you told all the right people about it. Hopefully somehow, some way, it will show up again.

What I did want to say, and I mean this very sincerely, is that it is people like you and the contribution you make here on a public forum like this one that make participating in triathlons possible for people like me. So thank you, and please think about it before you give it up. This is a material thing.

2012-08-18 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Can you file a claim with your homeowners insurance?  or renters insurance?

Do you have pictures of the bike to prove it ever existed and to show the upgrades you made?  Do you want to borrow some? ; )  I mean, it's a shame to have had your Cervelo stolen.

+1 "you're upset because triathlon IS something you want to do"

+1 There are many good used bikes out there.  Start looking at Craigslist, Ebay, visiting local bike shops etc.  Or write a letter to Santa - your wife knows how much you love this.  It will be a win-win if you let her surprise you with something you really like.  You need to know what size you're looking for.  A bike which doesn't fit is no bargain at any price.  

Take a few weeks and focus on swimming and running and HTFU!  There's no crying in triathlon.

Hey, look at the bright side, soon you'll have a bike AND a spare front wheel!  

2012-08-18 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Claw what size bike do you ride?  I've got an old c-dale r-800 with full 105 size 50.  it could use a tune up, but still very serviceable.  if you want it pm me.  Don't give up bro.
2012-08-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4369264

User image

NC

Sous - 2012-08-18 2:24 PM Claw what size bike do you ride?  I've got an old c-dale r-800 with full 105 size 50.  it could use a tune up, but still very serviceable.  if you want it pm me.  Don't give up bro.

Claw, give us some info.  I'm willing to bet there are many more people on here like this fine gentleman and BT could get you on a bike within two weeks.

Edited by Goosedog 2012-08-18 1:28 PM

2012-08-18 1:35 PM

Expert
Man, you are going through things which would make anyone feel wrecked. Channel your energy into helping your family and maybe evensome of it into tri training. You can and will get through this as all things will pass. You are in my prayers, as is your family. God blessyou my friend. Fight the Good fight.
2012-08-18 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-18 1:44 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

very sorry that happened. its definitely a crusher.

I felt pretty close to this when my car was stolen with my tri bike in it.  I was lost mentally.

but a friend was very cool and let me borrow his bike for awhile, and I was super lucky the bike was recovered after a few weeks (so was the car).

anyway, I hope you either find the bike or something takes it's place.

You'll keep going, it's the spirit in you that does triathlons not the equipment.

2012-08-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4369268

Pro
NJ
Goosedog - 2012-08-18 2:27 PM

Sous - 2012-08-18 2:24 PM Claw what size bike do you ride?  I've got an old c-dale r-800 with full 105 size 50.  it could use a tune up, but still very serviceable.  if you want it pm me.  Don't give up bro.

Claw, give us some info.  I'm willing to bet there are many more people on here like this fine gentleman and BT could get you on a bike within two weeks.

Got a set of nice Mavik wheels to add to the "Build The Claw a Bike" project.
2012-08-18 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

That's a sad state of affairs.  I understand where you're coming from, and we all go through the down times.  That's just a really down time.  The season is winding down to an end unfortunately.  Hopefully the wifey says yes to saving up for a new bike.  Maybe it's a sign to volunteer at some races.  After finishing races myself, I always go back and watch the finish line.  Very few things in the human experience is as inspirational and emotionally electrifying as watching a tri finish line.

Don't quit just b/c of the bike.  I remember actually seeing you on the first 1 or 2 miles at Eagleman this year.  I was heading back toward the finish (walking at that point b/c I seriously hurt my ankle but damned if I'm not going to finish) and you were going out.  I yelled "Doughboy to Ironman."  You said something like, "That's me."  And then a minute or so later I heard someone else say the same thing.  So, people remember you, and you do have a unique impact.

2012-08-18 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4369280

Master
Bellevue, WA

kcarroll - 2012-08-18 11:45 AM
Goosedog - 2012-08-18 2:27 PM

Got a set of nice Mavik wheels to add to the "Build The Claw a Bike" project.

I have a garage full of parts to contribute.  Spare tri bars, lights, a saddle or two, and so on.

Edited by brucemorgan 2012-08-18 1:56 PM
2012-08-18 2:01 PM

Elite
I have two sets of tri bars. I actually have been meaning to put them on CL. You are free to take them. I can sent pics, just need a addy.
2012-08-18 2:01 PM

Veteran
Texas

"So this event, from a training perspective, comes down to this: DNF is not an option. It just is not. I know no one would try to take back their donation if I didn’t finish, or if something happened that I couldn’t even start. But with all this great support on the line, I have added pressure/incentive, to make it this time. Readers may recall that my first attempt at an open water 5k ended in a premature DNF. I’m not using a wetsuit this year, and there is no official clock. I have no reasons to fail."sou

Hey Claaaw!  Does this quote sound familiar????  It should!  You wrote it about your experience with the 5k swim and how much money you helped raise!  Awesome job, man!!!  Remind yourself, DNF is not an option!. 

Take a deep breath, stay focused, and know you will get through this.

2012-08-18 2:06 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

So sorry for all you are going through.  That many funerals is hard, no matter how strong the faith.....hospital visitations aren't much better in the case of serious illness.  They certainly aren't as fun as visiting a new mom or doing a wedding.....

As to the bike, I am overwhelmed with the folks here posting offers to help you.  I hope BT can come up with a set of wheels for you.  Don't give up.  You have brought a lot of good stuff in your contributions here.  You belong in triathlon.

2012-08-18 2:18 PM

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

So is it TMI to tell you all I am crying again, this time out of being overwhelmed by the support of all you people? 

I posted this thinking "it's saturday afternoon, no one's going to be around to read it." 

I already have 2 separate pms with full bike offers, in addition to all the posts in this thread. 

I mean I know this is an awesome community, but this is something I can't get ahold of right now. I hope no one thinks I was posting looking for more than sympathy. 

My wife has a hybrid I just bought her that she has been enjoying. It's too small for me, but I was planning to use it next month at the Dewey Beach sprint if all else failed. This is mt 2nd year for it - last year it was on my daughter's 8th birthday. She is my #1 fan. 

I just don't know what to say. I will find a way to pay this forward when I am able, someday. I said to my wife "I don't know how you just give a bike to someone you never met." She reminded me I once gave a car to a guy in a homeless shelter. I always forget about that guy. He was walking to work every day. 

After Dewey, we are planning on a week at the beach with friends and family for Beach to Battleship 1/2. If this is all real and not some weird mid-day dream, and I end up on a bike I got through a BTer's generosity, I dedicate that whole race to this community. And like my 5k swim goose1126 just reminded me about where I had all the charity donations, DNF will not be an option.

Thanks for the comic relief AtlantaBill. Sous, I think that one is too small. I need a 56. Wouldn't you know it, the two pms in my ibox are for 56ers. 

Kcarroll, the bike I'm probably picking up from another BTer is complete-  but I don't know the wheel situation. I bought a set of better wheels just to not pop spokes with my weight. I don't know if i would need them for this bike. I have one of my fulcrums, the front one. 

Powerman, I could use those tribars. 

This is overwhelming, in a good way. But I'm caught between feeling like I asked for charity, or on the other hand feeling like George Bailey at the end of It's a Wonderful Life. I'm not the guy who kept this community going for years, but some Mr Popper is out there with my bike right now, and you people have come to my rescue nonetheless. 

If you count a man's worth by his friends, I am rich indeed. 

2012-08-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4369312

NC
TheClaaaw - 2012-08-18 3:18 PM

After Dewey, we are planning on a week at the beach with friends and family for Beach to Battleship 1/2. If this is all real and not some weird mid-day dream, and I end up on a bike I got through a BTer's generosity, I dedicate that whole race to this community.

Excellent!  My wife is swimming B2B1/2 on a relay, so I'll have her on the lookout for you.  Here's hoping you have better weather this year than last.  Have fun.

2012-08-18 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4369243

Champion
Sarasota, FL
MadMathemagician - 2012-08-18 2:03 PM

God doesn't give you more problems than you can handle.    Re-adjust your attitude and deal with it.

This.

You're  bearing a big emotional load right now.  Stuff happens sometimes.  A bike is only a "thing" - it's not the source of your strength or commitment.  It can be replaced.

Hug your family; get a good night's sleep.  Things will look better in the morning.  

Mark

2012-08-18 2:51 PM

Pro
I have a road bike you can use. It's in perfect condition, a 54cm 2009 Jamis Ventura Comp. You can return it after the season or when you're able. Pm me.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-08-18 2:52 PM
2012-08-18 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4369316

Veteran
Maryland
Pm sent.  I have a set a shimano SPD pedasl and yellow cleats. Also, what kind of saddle did you have?

Edited by bgeyeguy 2012-08-18 2:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength. Rss Feed  

of 5