Trisport Canada
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 57s
Overall Rank = 254/484
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early... before my alarm... and just lazed about. Made my breakfast smoothie and bagel (with another bagel to go) and made sure I had everything I needed for racing.
Drove the hour to the race site, arriving about 1.5 hours before race start. Took my time, racking, registering, and prepping. Met up with BFF shortly after 8 and helped her get ready, by filling her water bottle. Finished up my transition area prep and then headed out to the beach.
Event warmup:

Worked up a sweat putting on the sausage casing (wetsuit), then BFF and I went out for a little warm-up swim. We just got back behind the start line as the first wave went off. She went to get her cap as her start wasn't for 21 minutes yet... I waited for the start of my wave in 15 minutes.
Swim
  • 18m 7s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out to the back and outside to avoid the washing machine. Found a pair of legs to draft and tried to stay with them. Unfortunately, I don't swim straight and quickly was pulling left. Corrected my flaw and got back on track. Just swam along with no panic and swimming my own race. After 200m I had to clear the goggles of water. Stopped, cleared and got back to swimming... goggles stayed clear after that. Swam my steady pace with no hurry.... the pace I know that I can maintain for hours. At the first turn buoy, I actually passed a couple people from the wave in front of us... and kept passing these stragglers until the finish. This has almost never happened to me. I wasn't the slowest in my wave either, as I had a lot of other white caps with me. It was a pretty solid swim for not having worked on the swim at all... not really anyway. The wetsuit helps that though.
Just before the last buoy, I started kicking more to get the blood flowing in the legs and swam until I couldn't stroke any more... way longer then other guys who were already wading out of the water.
Now the suffering begins... it's a 400 m run out of the water and up the beach and hill to the transition area. I worked the top part of the suit off before the end of the beach... which was about 200m long (normally only 50m)... then another 200m of grassy hill. I stopped running briefly to let the HR come down a bit, then continued the slog up the hill. Passed a couple people, but mostly was passed by others.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing... it was a good swim for my training level.

Over the years I've discovered that my swim placing is usually pretty close to my overall placing. This hasn't changed much. :)
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Wetsuit always gets stuck on the heels... so this is normal for me. No worries, I wasn't trying to win anything and just took my time.
The on-line results do not have the transition times split out... but I had about 8 minutes total transition time.

nadda
Bike
  • 53m 52s
  • 30 kms
  • 33.42 km/hr
Comments:

As we headed out of the park, I felt the legs were a little leaden. I kept the effort pretty easy and spun in small chain ring until out of the park. This is an uphill and this allowed me to spin the legs up and feel ready for the roads. Once we entered the open roads, I put it into big gear and started the passing parade. I passed so many people that I was virtually riding on the left of the lane the entire time. I didn't though, as I would pull to the right as soon as I could...unlike other's who rode centre of the lane or near the lane the entire time. It was really annoying having to SCREAM out passing left to get them to move over.... oh well, they were never a problem for long as I zipped by usually 5-10km/h faster.
I had a couple of the faster swimmers/riders pass me after 5 km as they were doing their second lap. Only a few other riders in my heat ever passed me and I was always able to re-pass on the ascents.
I took the first lap pretty conservatively... had to make sure I had power for the second half. At the turn around, the first time, I had to REALLY slow down as a rider went down in front of me-3 riders up- the rest of us made the corner easily and I accelerated quickly out of the turn. After that it's a downhill, downwind section, so was making excellent time.
All the corners were extremely busy, so I was constantly scrubbing off speed to take them safely. The last major corner is at the bottom of a hill, and I rode the brakes down to it... taking it much slower then I would have had to... but I'm not taking any chances today.
On the second time around, I knew what to expect and just did the same as I did the first time... small ring up hills and big ring the rest of the time. Played cat and mouse with one other rider for about 10 km... but as we hit the bigger hills, I dropped him for good (on the bike). The Beast still has some speed left in him. ;)

Quite happy with that time, I was aiming for top percentile of the age group... quite pleased with the overall placing as well. Not bad for not going full out, and not on a Tri bike. :)

Only thing I could do differently... ride Xena... but her rear wheel is being repaired and isn't ready yet. Other then that, there was nothing I could do, but race my race and enjoy the time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

jogged to my rack and took my time getting prepped for the run. Drinking the extra bottle of sports drink while I did. I had finished the one on the bike and needed more electrolytes as it was quite warm. Had no issues of water sloshing in my gut, which tells me I was a little under hydrated off the bike. I couldn't have done any more though, as I only have one bottle cage on the bike at this time. It was also very difficult to drink on the bike course as you had to be constantly aware of the other riders. It was a PACKED bike course.

Nothing different.
Run
  • 46m 51s
  • 7 kms
  • 06m 41s  min/km
Comments:

I had decided that on my limited run training, the best for me would be to do this as a 5:1 run/walk. I am not winning any prizes, and I need to stay healthy. So, I ran for 4-5 minutes and walked 1-2 minutes. I would also walk up any larger hills that were stressing the legs too much. I didn't care that I was fodder for all the faster people, I just needed to cross that finish line. The first 2 km was tough, but then I got into a rhythm and just maintained that. Worked on easy running and staying within my self.
At about the 1.5 km to go mark, a woman in front of me screamed and pulled off the side with a severe cramp in her calf. I stopped beside her and gave her one of my electrolyte pills... told her to chew it and drink some water right away. Her husband came back to help her out too... and gave her his water... she was able to stretch it out and get moving again. The husband was extremely grateful, but I shrugged it off... us BOP'rs have to stick together. ;)
The last 2km I passed a VERY big man, slogging slower then me, but he never walked... just kept moving forward. It was impressive. He went by me as I was helping the lady... but I caught up to him as we were coming down the hill to the finish. I was going to let him stay in front of me and finish alone... but he was going so slow and I felt the adrenaline kick in... I pushed the speed up and basically sprinted to the line. I am pretty sure I was well in front of him, so he could have a great picture. I congratulated him at the finish for such a good job. Big guys ROCK!!!

Very happy with this time ... I was expecting over 50 minutes, so being under is a bonus. If I didn't stop and help the lady and walked less, I could have maybe hit 40 minutes, but that is a pipe dream. Just happy to be able to compete at all. Almost dead last in my AG and BOP overall... that's what I figured.

Do more run training... but with the training I've got, there wasn't much more that I could have done. Stuck to my plan and finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and talk with BFF. Get the food and look for times. When I checked they didn't have the times posted for me yet... so I'm going to have to wait for the Online results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim and run training.

Event comments:

This race is well run, but it has become SO large. Changing the bike course made for some interesting times, but it was ok. Run course could have the water stations spaced a little better... otherwise, excellent event.

Last updated: 2012-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:07 | 750 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/39
Overall: 268/484
Performance: Average
steady but not hard swim Swim time includes the 400m run up from the water to the timing mats.
Suit: Nineteen Full Sleeve
Course: Rectangular course... out 300, across 150, back 300. Wading start as the water level is so low (about 2-3 meters below normal). Made for some pretty mucky water conditions, but it wasn't too bad. Just keep the mouth closed. After the swim, it's a 400m run, up a long hill to the transition. The swim time includes this run up as the timing mats were just outside transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:52 | 30 kms | 33.42 km/hr
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 59/484
Kept the effort difficult but not all out. Decided that I needed to save some legs for the run. Spun in small ring up most of the hills/grades and into the wind kept the effort level steady. Downwind and downhill, I put the big rind thru it's paces and flew.
Wind: Little
Course: A reverse "P" course, which we had to ride twice. They had to change the course due to construction. The change added some pretty good size hills. There were plenty of corners and the turn around point on the stem of the "P" we had to do twice. We also had to ride past the park entrance once. Road was in pretty decent shape and traffic was well controlled.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:51 | 07 kms | 06m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 37/39
Overall: 406/484
Out and back... 5:1 walk run. Kept the HR in check and kept the legs moving.
Course: Out and back thru the camp ground. Some shade, but mostly in the sun. Plenty of small rolling hills. Water stops were at 1km and 2 km... then nothing. There is a large 3 km section with no water and you pay the price for missing the first two.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-01 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Baden
Subject: Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon

2012-09-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4391693

User image

Royal(PITA)
over the rainbow
Silver member
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations, Kevin!  Nice to see you back in the realm of racing.  Well paced and managed throughout.
2012-09-02 8:24 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Never Never Land
Gold member

well done and how far you've come!!!

welcome back

2012-09-06 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Silver member
Great job out there - great attitude for the run.  Considering your injury - was it just last year - this is an AMAZING accomplishment.  Solid ride, too, of course! Great to read your RR for a tri!
2012-09-06 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Baden

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. Hopefully, this will be the start of great things... or at least better things.

Jen... it is hard to believe it's been almost an entire year since the accident, but it's true. I still get reminders from my back to take it easy. I listen!

Judi and Beth... can always count on you two to lift my spirits when I'm down. Thank you both!

2012-09-06 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4398713

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

Awesome report! It was a great race to watch.  You make is sound so easy  :D  Hope to see you out there next year

~Erica.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed