General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-09-06 7:42 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by Bevie My friends. Looks like the wind is going to be brutal right off the bat race morning. At 5am it's saying already 13-15mph winds out of the ENE... I know everyone has to deal with the winds but holy smokes! That early? Was thinking it wouldn't be to bad if we had to kind of ease into it as the day went by but oh well I guess that won't be the case. I guess the saying goes to show "Of course it's effing hard! It's Ironman!"

Check again in 15 mins. It will change.

2013-09-06 2:50 PM
in reply to: jhouse4

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jhouse4

Originally posted by Bevie My friends. Looks like the wind is going to be brutal right off the bat race morning. At 5am it's saying already 13-15mph winds out of the ENE... I know everyone has to deal with the winds but holy smokes! That early? Was thinking it wouldn't be to bad if we had to kind of ease into it as the day went by but oh well I guess that won't be the case. I guess the saying goes to show "Of course it's effing hard! It's Ironman!"

Can't control it, so will have to deal with it.  Oh, well.

EEEAAAWWW!!!

2013-09-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Wisconsin
Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in and say best of luck and wishing you all a safe and successful race Sunday! I'm volunteering in T1 the womens tent but then will be out on the bike and run course cheering you all on. Enjoy the day everyone!!!
Amy
2013-09-06 8:11 PM
in reply to: gordon_mom

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by gordon_momHi all, Just wanted to jump in and say best of luck and wishing you all a safe and successful race Sunday! I'm volunteering in T1 the womens tent but then will be out on the bike and run course cheering you all on. Enjoy the day everyone!!!Amy
. Thank you for volunteering!
2013-09-06 8:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Originally posted by jhouse4

Can't control it, so will have to deal with it.  Oh, well.

EEEAAAWWW!!!

x2 on that, I think I'm more worried about what I need to do to finish the race. We'll deal with whatever we wind up getting.

Edited by strikyr 2013-09-06 8:29 PM
2013-09-06 8:35 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
So I finally got to see the bike course up close and personal today. It looks very challenging to say the least. I did not have the good fortune of riding it during my training being from NY. I hope it looks worst then what it really is, the good thing is it looks like they fixed some spots which were mentioned as trouble spots like Sugar River Rd. All I can say is I'm glad I hit the hills and rode them ALOT during training because there are plenty of them out there. Throw in all the curves, turns, climbs and descents and it will make for an interesting ride on Sunday. Looking forward to finally getting to ride it.

2013-09-07 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4414876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
What's the general rule of thumb for nutrition on the bike? Bring it all race morning if what I was thinking. That way no one will take/mess with it.?.
2013-09-07 7:23 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BevieWhat's the general rule of thumb for nutrition on the bike? Bring it all race morning if what I was thinking. That way no one will take/mess with it.?.
. However you trained. Put what you need for the 2nd loop in the Bike Special Needs bag. Good luck tomorrow!
2013-09-07 7:25 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyrSo I finally got to see the bike course up close and personal today. It looks very challenging to say the least. I did not have the good fortune of riding it during my training being from NY. I hope it looks worst then what it really is, the good thing is it looks like they fixed some spots which were mentioned as trouble spots like Sugar River Rd. All I can say is I'm glad I hit the hills and rode them ALOT during training because there are plenty of them out there. Throw in all the curves, turns, climbs and descents and it will make for an interesting ride on Sunday. Looking forward to finally getting to ride it.
. Do not waste a lot of energy immediately on the stick heading out and during the 1st loop, and don't try to waste a lot of energy going uphill. Stay relaxed and disciplined and you will have a great race. Good luck!
2013-09-07 7:11 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Tomorrow, we conquer!
2013-09-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: gordon_mom

Regular
Originally posted by gordon_mom

Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in and say best of luck and wishing you all a safe and successful race Sunday! I'm volunteering in T1 the womens tent but then will be out on the bike and run course cheering you all on. Enjoy the day everyone!!!
Amy

Thanks Amy! And thanks for volunteering!

2013-09-08 2:28 AM
in reply to: #4849345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Thank you everyone for helpful tips all year long. Seems like a couple days ago we were signing up for this journey. LETS ROCK THIS!!!

Thank you volunteers!!!

Btw I woke up about 20 minutes ago and there is no getting back to sleep now hehe!

GO TIME!!!
2013-09-08 3:02 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Just got up myself, Bevie.

GAME ON!!

Probably what will hurt worse is that I'll miss the Packers game!

2013-09-09 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats to everyone who participated yesterday and was fortunate enough to finish. Thank you to all the volunteers you guys were absolutely awesome yesterday. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the athletes racing. Wisconsin knows how to do an Ironman! Madison and the surronding counties where the race went through rocked yesterday.

I'm happy to say that I did finish in 14:55:45. The swim was FREAKIN BRUTAL for me. I did it in 2:04, I knew I was going to be slow but that was not a swim it was survival for me. I just made the T1 cutoff of 2:30 by 30 seconds. The volunteers were yelling at us to get the bikes over the line and I did with like 30 seconds to spare.

The bike was good but the wind was terrible out there. I dropped my chain twice, made 3 long stops and had to repair a broken shifter. It came lose luckily the roll of electrical tape I that I bought for 57 cents saved my race. I wound up doing a 7:11 on the bike. I was conservative and I lost time on the stops plus the 3 hills the second time around are very tough. The bike course is challenging enough indeed.

The run went perfectly for me. I did a 5:09 just about what I was expecting. I ran the whole run except for the aid stations and the uphils. I was able to finish strong. One out of three isn't bad. I'll take and I guess Chris was right to be concerned about the wind it made it much more tougher out there yesterday.

I hope everyone had a great race. I really enjoyed being here in Madison it's a great place and the people here are awesome. I'm heading back to NY today but loved every minute of my time out here. Ironman Wisconsin is a great race and I look forward to doing it again in the future.
2013-09-09 12:12 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by strikyr Congrats to everyone who participated yesterday and was fortunate enough to finish. Thank you to all the volunteers you guys were absolutely awesome yesterday. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the athletes racing. Wisconsin knows how to do an Ironman! Madison and the surronding counties where the race went through rocked yesterday. I'm happy to say that I did finish in 14:55:45. The swim was FREAKIN BRUTAL for me. I did it in 2:04, I knew I was going to be slow but that was not a swim it was survival for me. I just made the T1 cutoff of 2:30 by 30 seconds. The volunteers were yelling at us to get the bikes over the line and I did with like 30 seconds to spare. The bike was good but the wind was terrible out there. I dropped my chain twice, made 3 long stops and had to repair a broken shifter. It came lose luckily the roll of electrical tape I that I bought for 57 cents saved my race. I wound up doing a 7:11 on the bike. I was conservative and I lost time on the stops plus the 3 hills the second time around are very tough. The bike course is challenging enough indeed. The run went perfectly for me. I did a 5:09 just about what I was expecting. I ran the whole run except for the aid stations and the uphils. I was able to finish strong. One out of three isn't bad. I'll take and I guess Chris was right to be concerned about the wind it made it much more tougher out there yesterday. I hope everyone had a great race. I really enjoyed being here in Madison it's a great place and the people here are awesome. I'm heading back to NY today but loved every minute of my time out here. Ironman Wisconsin is a great race and I look forward to doing it again in the future.

Great job, Stykr!!

My day sucked just after the mile on the swim where I cramped up majorly in the lower legs and had to hang on to the kayak until the dang things subsided.  My swim time was really bad because of that and I came out in 2:11, so, I was behind you.
You made some time on the bike!  Great job!  And your run was really good!

I'm proud of you!  YOU. ARE. AN. IRONMAN!!

2013-09-10 3:00 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Well, we are done, BUT, don't forget to post your RR's here!

2013-09-11 1:28 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Originally posted by strikyr Congrats to everyone who participated yesterday and was fortunate enough to finish. Thank you to all the volunteers you guys were absolutely awesome yesterday. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the athletes racing. Wisconsin knows how to do an Ironman! Madison and the surronding counties where the race went through rocked yesterday. I'm happy to say that I did finish in 14:55:45. The swim was FREAKIN BRUTAL for me. I did it in 2:04, I knew I was going to be slow but that was not a swim it was survival for me. I just made the T1 cutoff of 2:30 by 30 seconds. The volunteers were yelling at us to get the bikes over the line and I did with like 30 seconds to spare. The bike was good but the wind was terrible out there. I dropped my chain twice, made 3 long stops and had to repair a broken shifter. It came lose luckily the roll of electrical tape I that I bought for 57 cents saved my race. I wound up doing a 7:11 on the bike. I was conservative and I lost time on the stops plus the 3 hills the second time around are very tough. The bike course is challenging enough indeed. The run went perfectly for me. I did a 5:09 just about what I was expecting. I ran the whole run except for the aid stations and the uphils. I was able to finish strong. One out of three isn't bad. I'll take and I guess Chris was right to be concerned about the wind it made it much more tougher out there yesterday. I hope everyone had a great race. I really enjoyed being here in Madison it's a great place and the people here are awesome. I'm heading back to NY today but loved every minute of my time out here. Ironman Wisconsin is a great race and I look forward to doing it again in the future.

Great job, Stykr!!

My day sucked just after the mile on the swim where I cramped up majorly in the lower legs and had to hang on to the kayak until the dang things subsided.  My swim time was really bad because of that and I came out in 2:11, so, I was behind you.

Phil thank you and I'm sorry to hear that you had a tough day. It certainly was not an easy start on the swim and the bike with the wind but I am glad that you finished. I finally made it home so I'll definitely be getting my RR up within the next day or two.

How'd everyone else do?
2013-09-11 1:10 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyr

Great job, Stykr!!

Phil thank you and I'm sorry to hear that you had a tough day. It certainly was not an easy start on the swim and the bike with the wind but I am glad that you finished. I finally made it home so I'll definitely be getting my RR up within the next day or two. How'd everyone else do?

shhhhhhhhh.  I think they're still sleeping.

2013-09-11 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I just posted my race report. I really enjoyed following along with this group over the past few months. It has also been interesting to see how the race played out for everybody. I loved the whole day even the parts that hurt!! It was my first IM and I couldn't have asked for any more. I was able to have fun the whole day and reached my goal of sub 14. I wish everybody luck with their future races and maybe we will do IM MOO again together sometime!
2013-09-12 9:02 AM

Great job, Stykr!!

Just got out in front of the cut-off? That victory is almost as great as winning. The bike and run loops were your victory laps.

Well done everyone for finishing a very tough swim and their first (or multiple) Ironman. On behalf of Madison and Wisconsin, thank you for spending your money. Please come back again to train, volunteer and/or race. And please bring more friends and family, and spend more money than this year.

I'll post a race report this weekend...or so.
2013-09-12 9:05 AM

Congrats to everyone who participated yesterday and was fortunate enough to finish. Thank you to all the volunteers you guys were absolutely awesome yesterday. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the athletes racing. Wisconsin knows how to do an Ironman! Madison and the surronding counties where the race went through rocked yesterday.

I'm happy to say that I did finish in 14:55:45. The swim was FREAKIN BRUTAL for me. I did it in 2:04, I knew I was going to be slow but that was not a swim it was survival for me. I just made the T1 cutoff of 2:30 by 30 seconds. The volunteers were yelling at us to get the bikes over the line and I did with like 30 seconds to spare.

The bike was good but the wind was terrible out there. I dropped my chain twice, made 3 long stops and had to repair a broken shifter. It came lose luckily the roll of electrical tape I that I bought for 57 cents saved my race. I wound up doing a 7:11 on the bike. I was conservative and I lost time on the stops plus the 3 hills the second time around are very tough. The bike course is challenging enough indeed.

The run went perfectly for me. I did a 5:09 just about what I was expecting. I ran the whole run except for the aid stations and the uphils. I was able to finish strong. One out of three isn't bad. I'll take and I guess Chris was right to be concerned about the wind it made it much more tougher out there yesterday.

I hope everyone had a great race. I really enjoyed being here in Madison it's a great place and the people here are awesome. I'm heading back to NY today but loved every minute of my time out here. Ironman Wisconsin is a great race and I look forward to doing it again in the future.

Solid finish after a tough start and bike. Well played sir, well played.

Glad you like Madison and the race. Looking forward to having you come back and race again.

• ..let me know if you need any further road condition updates...I'm here to help.

• -Peter

2013-09-12 9:09 AM

Originally posted by Bevie

Thank you everyone for helpful tips all year long. Seems like a couple days ago we were signing up for this journey. LETS ROCK THIS!!!

Thank you volunteers!!!

Btw I woke up about 20 minutes ago and there is no getting back to sleep now hehe!

GO TIME!!!

Bevie, how did you end up? After seeing your times from this summer, my only thought was 'just beat Bevie...and impress the cute girls on campus (is my wife reading this?)'.

• ..hope you race Wisconsin again.

• -Peter
    2013-09-12 9:23 AM
    in reply to: pnelson

User image

Veteran
    What an amazing day. The people of Madison were wonderful and the volunteers fantastic.

I actually put up my RR the day after since I didn't want to leave anything out.....haha.

Congrats to everyone who finished!
    2013-09-12 12:09 PM
    in reply to: pnelson

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Originally posted by pnelson

Solid finish after a tough start and bike. Well played sir, well played.

Glad you like Madison and the race. Looking forward to having you come back and race again.

• ..let me know if you need any further road condition updates...I'm here to help.

• -Peter

Peter thanks and can you please lobby for someone out there to repave Stagecoach Rd. We have some bad roads here on Long Island but man Stagecoach was as rough as any road I ever road on LOL! I think I'll need to check every bolt on my bike before I get back on it to ride after this IM.
    2013-09-12 12:10 PM
    in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Originally posted by FurnaceM3

What an amazing day. The people of Madison were wonderful and the volunteers fantastic.

I actually put up my RR the day after since I didn't want to leave anything out.....haha.

Congrats to everyone who finished!

x2 Madison totally rocked, the people their are awesome. The volunteers were awesome too!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24