Chicago, Illinois
United States
68F / 20C
Total Time = 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 49/1862
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/284
Pre-race routine:

It's been about 2 years since I have run a standalone 5k so I wanted a status update. This race is at night, so I really wasn't sure what to do beforehand. I ate lunch around 1:30 and then at 5p ate PB on toast.
Event warmup:

I decided to ride my bike to the start - it's about 7 miles from my house. I got to the race site around 7p and then met up with my husband (also racing, but he took the bus!) and then just walked around. Put on our glow lights. The 10k racers were supposed to start at 7:30, but they were late, which pushed back our start time to about 7:55 or so.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was a costumed glow race, I corraled myself about 10 or so lines back from the start so I could start early and get ahead of those racing for fun. Believe it or not, Chicago actually DOES get dark, especially with all of the tree cannopies over the path. I couldn't see my watch at all so just decided to go all out and try to hold on. I make it to the mile 1 marker and the clock read 7:15, which I thought was a little bit fast for me, but I tried to keep up the effort. At some point around the 1.5 mile I fell into a pothole, but just stumbled around for a few steps. The race goes underneath a bridge, which was lit, and I saw that my husband was about 30 feet in front of me. He just decided on a whim to race so I was a little peeved! Tried to catch up to him and that last mile was torture - lungs were heavy and my throat was burning! Made it to the finish line about 10 seconds behind him. Pretty excited about my time. Set a PR by more than a minute!
Post race
Warm down:

Biked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

?? I don't know - maybe if it wasn't dark and I could see my watch? Although that is the point of a glow run, so.

Event comments:

There were a couple of rough spots on the path - maybe some glow sticks or glow paint to point them out?

Last updated: 2012-07-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/284
Overall: 0/1862
Performance:
Course: Paths just north of Montrose Harbor. Dark!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?