Flip Flop Events
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 51s
Overall Rank = 67/144
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

The usual, oatmeal and coffee. Surfed the weather on the internet to decide if I should even go. Looked like a big band of thunderstorms was going to go over the race area and last a couple of hours. Got an email that the race was delayed by 30 minutes, then another that it was still on and since it was the last of the season, decided to go.
Event warmup:

None, lightning in the area and no one could get into the pool until 30 minutes after the last strike which was race time. Tried to do some quickie arm stretches on the pool deck while waiting to go in.
Swim
  • 06m 53s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I probably lost 15-20 seconds trying to get OUT of the pool. It was about 4 feet deep where we were to get out and no ladder, WTF?? Gave it 2 tries and couldn't do it, finally a volunteer took one arm and pulled me out. Kind of embarrassing and I KNEW I would have trouble with that. Passed one person in the water, no one passed me. Swam hard, had to resort to open turns just to grab a good breath!
What would you do differently?:

Practice getting out of the pool without the ladder!
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

It was raining during the transition set up so I had put everything inside a trash bag, and I'm sure this took me a little longer to actually pull the stuff out first and then get ready to go. I also got there late and had to cram my bike onto a rack and had my transition stuff on the opposite side of the rack from where I had to take the bike off, so that cost me some too. I was still 1st in AG on this and 29th OA.

Get there earlier so I could have my stuff in the proper place!!
Bike
  • 35m 59s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode this comfortably hard... kept my cadence high and gears easy as much as possible. Worst part was the roads were very wet, so lots of puddles to avoid as well as avoiding the painted lines which we had to cross every now and again. I tried to drive the course the day before and got completely lost, AND there was one section of the map that we didn't ride?? Don't know what was up with that, but it was 11 miles. Happy with my speed! Good ride...

Nothing, this felt great.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This felt like a good transition. Had to run to my bag that I had placed at the end of the rack to get my sweat towel, but otherwise it felt speedy.

Remember to put out everything I need!
Run
  • 43m 53s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, not my best leg. I'm actually amazed it was as fast as it was, I was expecting in the 12's. Ran a mile non-stop and then started a run walk. Never felt good until about 3 miles in. Got passed by a lady in my AG within the first half mile and knew I had lost my first place.

It is what it is, and I just keep working on it. I rpbably need to do some trail running, I really suffer on softer surfaces.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Walked around and got a bottle of water. There was no food except some weird bean chips until about an hour later when the pizza showed up. No drinks besides water and beer. Waited a LONG time for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stupid run of course.

Event comments:

I was so glad to do this with my fellow BT'er and MMMer, Louise who really nailed it. She caught up with me after the bike and got me running again (briefly!)... Really no frills kind of race, but I would love to do it on a dry day, I enjoyed it! They had tons of timing issues, I guess there were problems reaching satellites or something, so half the people never got a bike split, then just had one really long T2. I'm sure I wasn't really 18th on the bike! Turns out the lady in my AG that passed me on the run ended up taking 1st overall female, yeah, that's right age 55!! Awesome! Which left me the first place medal, and I'll take that!

Last updated: 2012-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:53 | 400 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 33/144
Performance: Good
Suit: One piece KiWAMi
Course: Snake swim in a 25 yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:59 | 11 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 18/144
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: One loop. Most roads had a good shoulder, and we actually got onto a toll road with 80 mph speed limits! Thankfully little traffic.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:53 | 04 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops around the park, about half on wet, crushed gravel paths that were muddy in spots and had puddles. The other half was paved, 2 water crossings that were cool!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-14 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Georgetown Super Sprint #3

2012-10-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4453260

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Georgetown Super Sprint #3
Wow, you killed it out there today!  You are one tough lady.  That run sounded pretty miserable with all the mud and puddles.  I had to laugh when I read about getting out of the pool with no ladder.  That has become an issue with me, too.  After a couple embarrassing issues with that it has now become somewhat of a stress, lol.  At Master's I will swim under multiple lanes to get to the ladder, haha.  Anyway, congrats on a very successful triathlon season and now bring on the run season!  Btw, thanks for all your support.  I appreciated it more than you know:-)
2012-10-15 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4453260

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
You are a badass Hilde! 1st in your age group again, after being sick no less. It stinks that you weren't able to warm up at all and wet pavement scares the crap out of me on the bike, so kudos for getting that kind of speed. Once again I am inspired!
2012-10-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4454761

User image

Veteran
Austin
Way to end the season!  It was so much fun to race with you.  I think it is still a little crazy that all the weather cleared out and we were really able to race.  Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown Super Sprint #3 Rss Feed