General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healthy Lunch Ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-11-29 10:55 AM

Subject: Healthy Lunch Ideas

Hi!

I'm looking for some new, easy lunch ideas that avoid processed foods. I try to take leftovers when I can. Recently I've been eating a lot of soup but am getting bored. I make salads and chop my veggies Sunday night so even new salad ideas would be great! Anything I can prepare ahead of time for the week.

I keep ending up taking something I don't like or I'm bored of and then eat half of it and end up with something unhealthy to supplement it when I'm hungry.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

2012-11-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4514826

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Healthy Lunch Ideas
If you have time to make stuff Sunday nights, try a few of these:

Hummus - chop veggies to dip (carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli)
Pesto - same idea as hummus but very different flavor
Wraps - whole wheat or brown rice wraps filled with hummus, veggies, sprouts, beans, salad, etc.
Quinoa - a cold quinoa salad is great: quinoa, sauteed veggies, walnuts, balsamic vinegar or dressing of choice
Oats - I take 1/2 cup oats for a snack a lot of days - just add hot water and microwave. Add honey or nuts for more calories.
Salad - add beans and nuts for a more hearty salad
Stirfry - veggies of your choice with soy or tamari sauce, garlic chili sauce, etc. - serve with brown rice. Add tofu or chicken if you need protein.
Sweet potato chips/fries: peel and chop into steak fries or thin rounds. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 450* until browned up.

If no time:
Pre-made smoothies like Naked or Odwalla brand
Organic frozen meals like Amy's or Kashi brand
Protein shake from a powder or something like Muscle Milk

2012-11-29 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I try to do a big batch meal on Sunday night - i am all about the leftovers.

Here's a really good one.  I found this recipe - super healthy and very tasty (and satiating - which i often don't find veggie chili to be all that filling but this one is awesome)

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/chili/chipotle-vegetable-chili/ 

I have a few other stand by's - a homemade chicken curry, certain soups i really like and don't get tired of - and then i usually enjoy my lunch options more than the takeout options. 

Lisa provided lots of great ideas for keeping on-hand or pick up things. 

2012-11-29 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

My personal faves for a clean-eating lunch:

-All natural peanut or almond butter on gluten-free bread; add honey if you need it sweeter but be weary of the processed honey they sell in most grocery stores which is processed to heck, and no better than corn syrup; and opt for raw, unfiltered honey (available at most health food stores); a banana works for some sweetness also

-Plain, organic Greek yogurt with nuts/dried fruit/honey (VERY filling)

-Fruit salad with local, seasonal fruits

-For salad ideas, try adding one or more of the following: hard boiled egg whites, hummus, tahini (makes a great dressing mixed with a bit of olive oil and spices), dried fruit, sunflower seeds.  I sometimes dress a Mexican themed salad with all natural corn & black bean salsa--Dessert Pepper Trading Co. is my favorite

Edited by noelle1230 2012-11-29 11:39 AM
2012-11-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4514915

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
noelle1230 - 2012-11-29 11:38 AM

-Plain, organic Greek yogurt with nuts/dried fruit/honey (VERY filling)

x2 I totally forgot about Greek yogurt - love.

2012-11-29 12:15 PM

Thank you all! Homemade sweet potato fries are making my mouth water right now. Sounds delicious!

2012-11-29 12:23 PM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
On Monday mornings I stop by the grocery store on my way into work and pickup lots of fruit (bananas, pares, apples, etc.), Kellogg's Nutri-Grain cereal bars, unsalted pistachios, and different varieties Campbell's Chunky Soup.  This is what I'll eat for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the week.  It's not perfect, but it's convenient, I never have the urge eating garbage, I don't have to share a refrigerator with 200 other people, and I feel satisfied.  I works great for me.
2012-11-29 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

for this i usually just grill a lot of chicken breast sunday night and cut it into bite size pieces.  then depending on the day i'll do various things with it.

- add it to a random salad
- create lettuce wraps, add chicken and hummus and w/e else
- eat plain with a hot sauce or something
- throw into some pasta if i have some left over

usually i will go the sweet potato route once or twice a week and either have fries, whole potato, or make sweet potato hash browns. i try to save the hash browns for breakfast since i make a full work week of them at once on sunday though.

i also notice you say you want to get away from processed food: the yogurt everyone is mentioning is very processed, and multi-grain/wheat bread is too, as well as instant oatmeal, only actual regular whole oats are not.

2012-11-29 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
I have really gotten used to eating plain (some say boring) food. My typical lunch at work is a steamed sweet potato, a piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana or tomato), a hard boiled egg or peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have been seen eating plain tuna out of the can also. Stark contrast to what my coworkers eat, as most of them order out something everyday that looks like a mountain of food.
2012-11-29 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
I"m DYING to try to make homemade sweet potato chips. Is it really that easy Lisa? I'm such a non cook I need all the help I can get.
2012-11-29 1:30 PM

User image

Elite
My current favorite lunch is ground turkey with a little spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash.  I make a huge batch of the turkey sauce on Sunday, as well as cook a big squash and eat it all week long. Love it!

2012-11-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4515052

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Clempson - 2012-11-29 2:00 PM

for this i usually just grill a lot of chicken breast sunday night and cut it into bite size pieces.  then depending on the day i'll do various things with it.

- add it to a random salad
- create lettuce wraps, add chicken and hummus and w/e else
- eat plain with a hot sauce or something
- throw into some pasta if i have some left over

usually i will go the sweet potato route once or twice a week and either have fries, whole potato, or make sweet potato hash browns. i try to save the hash browns for breakfast since i make a full work week of them at once on sunday though.

i also notice you say you want to get away from processed food: the yogurt everyone is mentioning is very processed, and multi-grain/wheat bread is too, as well as instant oatmeal, only actual regular whole oats are not.

If we're getting technical, anything you pretty much didn't grow or kill yourself is considered processed.  Like the pasta and the hummus you suggest.  Processed is a tricky word.  Almost anything you buy at the store that has an ingredient list is processed.  That doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Milk is homogenized, that's a process.  So anything dairy is processed unless you milked the cow yourself.  Canning or freezing something is considered a process also.

When people say they're avoiding processed foods, they're usually referring to the type of processing that uses chemicals to create either 1. a preserving effect (like adding a ton of salt to a frozen meal) or 2. to add flavor.

2012-11-29 2:55 PM

I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash! Is it easy to make? What is the taste/texture like?

Thanks for the all the great tips! I'm so excited to go shopping this weekend!

2012-11-29 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
One of my go-to work lunches is to make a rice "bowl". I have a steamer and cook brown ride the night before. I add a bag of frozen veggies (usually Asian, but sometimes I use a fiesta blend), and frozen chicken strips for my husband, and tofu or frozen fake meat for me, and put them in plastic containers. Microwave at work and season with reduced sodium soy sauce, sambal (hot!), salsa...
2012-11-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4515246

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
FloridaTriGirl - 2012-11-29 3:55 PM

I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash! Is it easy to make? What is the taste/texture like?

It is good! It comes out like like spaghetti strings once you cook it. A little crunchier than pasta - but I find it's a mild flavour.  

Most people roast it in the oven (about 40 mins).  I take a quicker approach and microwave the squash.  Cut it in half and place it cut-side down on a moist paper towel for about 10 mins - my mic is small so i can only do one half at a time. Comes out perfect!  When it's cool enough you use a fork to scoop out the insides.   

2012-11-29 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO

I pack everything the night before while making my breakfast fruit smoothie which contains greek yogurt and some naked juice green machine.

Snacks are hard boiled eggs usually just whites or half yolk. light string cheese, low fat cottage cheese, apples, bananas, raw almonds, yogurt, pretzels, and a few other things sadly almost always the same.

My lunch is almost always the same as well frozen steamed veggies with chicken that I have cooked up every sunday, and I either add some red potatoes or brown rice.

2012-11-29 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Amy's Organic frozen lunches

Smart Once frozen lunches

Starbuck healthy lunches

2012-11-29 7:54 PM

Veteran

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Vince_Matteo/smart_eating

I like this article from Endurance Corner..

2012-11-29 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm all about veggie/ grain bowls: brown rice or quinoa, with some kind of beans, and veggies, and a sauce.  I find they're tastier if they have some theme:  Italian (with cooked spinach, white beans, Italian dressing); Mexican (black beans, mixed veggies, salsa)... etc.  
2012-11-30 7:27 AM

Regular
Chisago City
Jasmine rice+Chili Beans+various seasonings=a quick and delicious lunch.
2012-11-30 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4515287

User image

Elite
juniperjen - 2012-11-29 3:16 PM
FloridaTriGirl - 2012-11-29 3:55 PM

It is good! It comes out like like spaghetti strings once you cook it. A little crunchier than pasta - but I find it's a mild flavour.  

Most people roast it in the oven (about 40 mins).  I take a quicker approach and microwave the squash.  Cut it in half and place it cut-side down on a moist paper towel for about 10 mins - my mic is small so i can only do one half at a time. Comes out perfect!  When it's cool enough you use a fork to scoop out the insides.   

Ditto on it's good!  I love it.  Thanks for the microwave tip--I am definitely doing that from now on.  Wasn't sure how it would cook and I'm all about the quicker way!  Thanks!

2012-11-30 7:39 AM

Veteran

I don't have any specific recipes, but I have an idea to cut down on preparation time in the morning.  In one of the offices I work at my co workers bring their lunch food and keep it in the refridgerator.  When lunch time arrives, they prepare it.  Of course you need a decent size refrigerator for this.  They bring bags of lettuce, greens, and precut veggies for salads,  bread and sandwich makings, dinner leftovers, etc. 

The fastest way to gain weight is to eat out for lunch all of the time.  It is SO unhealthy, due to the saturated fat and the amount of sodium in the food!

2012-11-30 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I have discovered overnight oatmeal (Yummy Life Overnight Oatmeal link).  Oatmeal, milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, honey/maple syrup, and chia seeds.  I make up a few of these every few days and just pack one for lunch.  Filling.  Satisfying.  Pretty easy.  My kids love them too.
2012-11-30 3:12 PM

User image

I make a big batch of quinoa at the beginning of the week and buy a lot of veggies and chop them at the beginning of the week too.  

Take a wrap of some sort, slather it with hummus.  throw in some quinoa all kinds of veggies, pumpkin seeds, black beans, whatever i can find and roll it up into a giant burrito.

or

cook up some rice and beans and throw all the veggies in and stir fry it for a big bowl or a  burrito hot or cold.

sometimes i put some meat in it sometimes not, depends what is in the fridge.  

sometimes, I just go to chipotle.  (but only eat half and save the rest for later)

pretty much i eat a ton of burritos.

2012-11-30 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Leftovers and tupperware.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healthy Lunch Ideas Rss Feed  

of 2