General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What has Lasik done for you? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-19 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: What has Lasik done for you?

I'm scheduling Lasik eye surgery for 1st week in January. My hope is that it will make a significant difference while training, racing and life in general. Besides being able to wear cool sunglasses....

What has it done for you good or bad?

2012-12-19 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4541053

Park Ridge
Subject: RE: What has Lasik done for you?
I had lasik in 2000. I have been really happy that I did it, I was a little freaked out when I went in but it has been all good since then. A little eye dryness was the only side effect that I noticed. Good luck.
2012-12-19 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I got LASIK back in 1999. It worked out perfectly for me. I don't know that it affected my training all that much... I didn't usually train with my glasses, though. I did wear contacts sometimes, but I wasn't doing a lot of swimming back then.

One thing that stuck out to me after I got it was that when I would wake up in the middle of the night and look across the room, I could actually read the numbers on the alarm clock.

Good luck and I think you'll be really happy Smile

2012-12-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4541075

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

pumpkin31 - 2012-12-19 10:24 AM I had lasik in 2000. I have been really happy that I did it, I was a little freaked out when I went in but it has been all good since then. A little eye dryness was the only side effect that I noticed. Good luck.

don't mean to thread hijack, but I worry about the dry eye.  My eyes are dry naturally.  I have a hard time wearing contacts.  Are your eyes still dry all these years later?  Do you have to put drops in all the time?

2012-12-19 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I had it done about 9 years ago and was instantly amazed at home much more I enjoyed my outdoor activities. I hated running with glasses. I had very bad eyesight and actually had the right eye re-done about a year later, as my eye had self corrected back toward it's old shape (not uncommon for really poor starting points). I tried to convince them that my left eye also needed to be re-done, but they wouldn't. 

I can still get by without glasses ... especially when training ... but between the near vision stuff that happens with age and continued progression in my left eye, I now use glasses again for night driving, movies, plays, etc. (mostly low-light scenarios). This is a recent thing for me and I was getting really worried that I would need to start requiring glasses again even while training. I remain optimistic that it won't be necessary.

But, really, I love what Lasik has done for me. I can't imagine sighting in the water if I had the poor eyesight I had before I had the procedure(s) done. 

2012-12-19 10:37 AM

Had it in 2010 and I love it. No need to find my glasses in the morning, no need for RX sports wear or contacts to worry about. But in my case, as a preventive measure for dry eyes (doc said my left eye goes dry even before lasiks) I use Gentile or Optive  preservative free lubricant eye drops from time to time. Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you. 

2012-12-19 10:44 AM

New user
Key West

Had my Lasik in 1999 too and it was a minor miracle as far as I was, and am, concerned. I had terrible vision and, although I didn't do TRIs that often back then, I was running a lot, sailing, swimming and biking and generally living an active life. I did most of my sports without glasses, which was basically doing it almost blind. So, it was a major improvement. It is so awesome to be able to see where you are going and not need any special equipment for sight.

I do have eye dryness and need reading glasses now because I am over a certain age, but those are minor issues. In fact, I have been told the eye dryness has more to do with my sitting in front of a computer for 10-12 hours a day, than my lasik. I just put eye drops in first thing in the morning and sometimes before bed, but not generally more than that.

It should be awesome for you!

2012-12-19 10:54 AM

User image

Pro

I had it done in 2000. It was a miracle after being -7.5 in both eyes. First couple weeks your eyes will probably itch and be dry, for several weeks you might have a halo effect around lights.

I'm back to glasses/contact lenses when driving/biking, as my vision has deteriorated slightly (-1.5) in the past couple years. If I could go back and get it corrected again I would.

But if you're like me and couldn't see a thing before, it's a life-changing event.

2012-12-19 10:59 AM

I had it in 2006, best thing I ever did for myself.  My near distance was never an issue, so my Dr did Lasik on my right eye only.  That's my distance eye, and the left is my near vision.  As a result, I haven't needed readers.  I never had issues with dry eyes or halo's.  I love not needing prescription sunglasses, love being able to see clearly in the water, love not having to figure out where I put my glasses!!!  Good Luck with your procedure!
2012-12-19 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4541161

User image

Expert
C-bus
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-12-19 11:54 AM

I had it done in 2000. It was a miracle after being -7.5 in both eyes. First couple weeks your eyes will probably itch and be dry, for several weeks you might have a halo effect around lights.

I'm back to glasses/contact lenses when driving/biking, as my vision has deteriorated slightly (-1.5) in the past couple years. If I could go back and get it corrected again I would.

But if you're like me and couldn't see a thing before, it's a life-changing event.

^ This a million times over.

DO IT!  It's amazing.

2012-12-19 11:29 AM

User image

Expert

I was nearsighted so I could read just fine.  When I got it done about 10 years ago they did both eyes but then I couldn't read.  I had to carry readers around everywhere which defeated the purpose of having the surgery.

I ended up going back in and getting the right eye done for reading.  So I have mono vision, one eye for reading and one eye for distance.  LOVE IT! The only issue I have lately is that in low light situations I need readers for fine print.  In bright light I am fine.

Go for it and enjoy,

Duane

PS I only buy the $20 sunglasses as I cannot see spending $100 on a pair of shades that I am going to scratch or lose 

2012-12-19 11:46 AM

User image

I had -13.5 corrected. Second worse eyes my doctor had ever fixed. For me, Lazik gave me the chance to see like I never had before. Nowadays, I have almost 20-20 vision. Talk about miracle.

I wasn't active in the years beforehand, but I do remember having prescription goggles in Uni. So nice to be able to get cheap ones this year when I decided to train for triathlon!

In terms of side effects, I found my eyes were tired for the first month or so...even when i wasn't. I also found odd lighting situations (like a dark room with bright light coming in window) hard to get used to for about a year after. Also had haloes at night...but all that has cleared up now. I was told I'd likely need reading glasses on my 40s (I was 30 when I did it, 34 now)...but I can deal with that!

Highly, highly recommend it!
2012-12-19 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Ericwjacobson just had Lasik done on Monday. Shoot him a PM and ask how it went.
2012-12-19 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
15 yrs ago took me from 20/400 to 20/15.  Lasted about 10 years.  Now I'm about 2/35.  I was able to sail across oceans, climb mountain's, work and travel in 3rd world countries etc. w/out fear.  $ well spent. 
2012-12-19 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City

I had PRK (LASIK without the flap) two years ago.  -6.5 in both eyes, now 20/15.  It's absolutely amazing to be able to read the clock from the bed or while in the shower.  Or even to take a nap during the middle of a lazy day (I couldn't sleep with my contacts in even for a little bit without my eyeballs letting me know it was a bad idea). 

I had some dry eye problems before that are mostly related to allergies.  As long as I keep up with my allergy drops I don't have too much dry eye problem.  I also don't like driving at night as much now because bright oncoming headlights are more bothersome.  I had halos for a while...maybe a year? 

One of the best things I ever did.

2012-12-19 1:04 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Cool topic.  Over the Last 7 years I went from near perfect vision to wearing glasses for driving and reading with my right eye much worst than my left, and its driving me nuts.  On the bike I have to get up off the aero bars to be able to read the speedo.  I've been thinking about Lasik in the future because needing bifocal sport sunglasses cannot be cool!Wink

2012-12-19 1:24 PM

Expert

Had it in the late 90's when it just was coming out in the US (cost $2000/eye then).  Could tell my vision was improving while they were doing the procedure; the laser dot was becoming clear and defined!  Can't describe the feeling of actually being able to to see the time on the alarm clock without having to reach for my glasses.  I had it done specifically because of athletic activity.  Once lost a contact (while wearing goggles) while swimming and didn't like swimming without wearing them, hated sweat dripping on my glasses while on the bike.  Running with glasses was ok, but normally wore contacts.  We're thinking of someday giving this procedure as a gift to the kids to get rid of their glasses.

2012-12-19 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Sorry to hyjack but is LASIK still considered elective surgery from medical insurance perspective?

Also, in my area I've heard some outfits are offering financing options, any of you get an incredibly good deal to boot?

Personally I'm -3.5 in one eye and -4.5 in the other.  I have a very pronounced (if that's the right terminology) astigmatism and was told a few years back that particular type of LASIK cost more... No idea if that was really true or if it was, is it still true today...

Great thread...

2012-12-19 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I used to wake up, put my contacts in, come home from the workout and change into glasses. Come hinge from work and put contacts back in for bball/supports/to go out, etc. My eyes would get to dry to wear contacts all the time and I hated wearing my glasses. I did PRK (a variation if lasik) in one eye and lasik in three other about 18 months ago. One of the best decisions of my life. I need to go back and get one eye tweaked a bit, but can't do that for awhile because I've moved out if the country. It is free to do the adjustments for 2 years for me.To the question re: insurance. It was still elective for me, but I was able to save a few hundred in my HSA each month, so when I dud get the operation it was tax free and I didn't feel the cash hit. I also did 6 months 0% interest to pay it off because it was free money!
2012-12-19 2:15 PM

User image

It was one of the best things I ever did. I hated swimming with contacts before.

Make sure they do a test for dry eyes before the surgery. I have dry eyes and I was concerned before the procedure. They carefully checked both my eyes to be sure it would be okay. I'm fine I do use regular drops in the morning but I'm fine. However I have a friend who is still on restasis years after his procedure. He now admits looking back that his doctor tried to tell him his eyes were too dry at the time and he went ahead anyway.
2012-12-19 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA

Love all the feedback you guys/gals. Thanks for your input and experiences! I'm looking forward to all the benefits.

The only downside I can see (no pun intended) so far, is that I have to stay out of the pool for a month afterwards. More time to work on bike/run I guess..

2012-12-19 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4541448

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
ApplePie - 2012-12-19 12:38 PM

I had PRK (LASIK without the flap) two years ago.  -6.5 in both eyes, now 20/15.  It's absolutely amazing to be able to read the clock from the bed or while in the shower.  Or even to take a nap during the middle of a lazy day (I couldn't sleep with my contacts in even for a little bit without my eyeballs letting me know it was a bad idea). 

I had some dry eye problems before that are mostly related to allergies.  As long as I keep up with my allergy drops I don't have too much dry eye problem.  I also don't like driving at night as much now because bright oncoming headlights are more bothersome.  I had halos for a while...maybe a year? 

One of the best things I ever did.

I'm also -6.5 in both eyes, been stable for a few years now (which is what I was waiting for).

Tell me about PRK and the pain. My doc keeps recommending it but the stories I hear of the pain are really scaring me away. One of my friends described it as "horrific" and said she wished she would have just done Lasik.

Doc also told me I'd have to take minimum a week off of work as I wouldn't be able to see well enough till around the 1 week mark. Like I'd need help around the house kind of thing. Did you experience that?

Edited by lisac957 2012-12-19 3:17 PM
2012-12-19 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4541655

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

matcrawf - 2012-12-19 2:58 PM I used to wake up, put my contacts in, come home from the workout and change into glasses. Come hinge from work and put contacts back in for bball/supports/to go out, etc. My eyes would get to dry to wear contacts all the time and I hated wearing my glasses. I did PRK (a variation if lasik) in one eye and lasik in three other about 18 months ago. One of the best decisions of my life. I need to go back and get one eye tweaked a bit, but can't do that for awhile because I've moved out if the country. It is free to do the adjustments for 2 years for me.To the question re: insurance. It was still elective for me, but I was able to save a few hundred in my HSA each month, so when I dud get the operation it was tax free and I didn't feel the cash hit. I also did 6 months 0% interest to pay it off because it was free money!

How many do you have in total?

2012-12-20 9:39 AM

Veteran

I had my eyes done about 5 years ago.  I was able to see 20-15 in both eyes.  Now my vision is about 20-30.  I hope that my vision doesn't continue to decrease.  My sister had it done years ago, and now she is back to wearing glasses for distance and reading.

One helpful hint- I was not allowed to swim for one month after having it done.  I have heard others say that they stayed out of the pool for two to three weeks.  I went the full month- not wanting to take a chance when it came to my eyes.  You might want to consider this when you schedule your surgery.

2012-12-20 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

My wife had Lasik done about 7.5 years ago. She was basically blind, not sure of the numbers but needed glasses to see. A short time after, she needed a correction done, and the doctor over corrected which messed up her eyes a bit. She suffers from dry eye and constantly needs drops and lubrication, which has caused some side effects and infections over the years since the correction. Also gone back to glasses for the close up stuff.

Most people don't have issues, but there are side effects that come with it for some people. Also, she said the correction hurt much more than the actual surgery.

I don't know if she would go through it again after what she has dealt with.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What has Lasik done for you? Rss Feed  

of 2