BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-05-02 12:27 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

jay - If it helps at all I totally biffed it the other day when I came to a stop and didn't unclip fast enough. Took a nice chunk of skin off my knee and a deep bruise on my glutius maximus. My pride was hurt more than anything, but, alas, I survived So exciting to hear about your wife's expressed interest!

Mike - So glad to hear you were able to run again!

Anthony - You wouldn't believe the stuff that goes through my head. I sing and talk out loud, then laugh out loud when I realize I'm talking and singing out loud. I talk any animal I pass by, etc., ect. I was glad to hear I'm not the only one. You are once dedicated dude swimming 5 strokes just to turn around and do 5 more. I laughed out loud when I read that..good job!

Carol - Having someone to talk things over with can make such a tremendous difference, especially if they are familiar with the racing world. Hoping you find some semblance of balance soooooon. I your plan to race with your friend. What a way to give her something to work towards. I'm certain that will have a greater impact than either of you know yet. Praying for her!

Mitch - Wonderfully fantastic news about your baby girl! and your training too!

Steve - Went for a run/walk tonight. Run 4min/walk 2min. All seemed okay. No pain, but definitely overall tightness in my calves. That seems to be the new normal for me. So how do I build from here? I am supposed to be up to 17 miles for my long, but that last long I did was 14 or 15. And do I continue with the run/walk for a week or so?

Definitely did not meet all the mileage planned for April. I'm finding training for this distance to be extremely difficult because of the amount of time it takes. I wish I was the person who just got it done no matter what, but I am trying to be proud of what I am accomplishing.

S:  26200.00 Yd - 11h 29m 26s
B:  386.30 Mi - 28h 02m 57s
R:  78.32 Mi - 16h 57m 02s

Night.

2013-05-02 1:23 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Today's workout was run 4, bike 10, swim 1700 (including a 10:00 continuous kick cuz my kick sucks).  So for my fellow sucky kickers.... I highly recommend not using a kickboard to work on your kick.  I have come to almost enjoy using a mask and snorkel but no fins.  You can work on balance while you try to get the feel for the kick. You can keep your hands out in front of you and practice kicking with your hands at different distances from the surface.  Being underwater just focusing on kicking and balance for 10 minutes straight totally beats the half drowding kick gasp for air kick thing on the kickboard.  I found I bend my knees slightly more now not quite planks and relax my feet a bit at the ankle (same for the bike these days). 

Grats an a healthy baby girl.  Docs sometimes are a bit paranoid about babies because folks feel like they want a 100% guarantee that every baby will be perfect so the docs try to aim folks in that direction and get skittish if there are any risk factors at all. 

So I may have added a bit of philosophy into the book, your read might not be quite that deep but we should all have someone with some flowers for us. 

Samantha, I would try to go 2 days at 4:00/2:00 then 2 days at 3:00/2:00, then 2 days at 4:00/1:00 and then try just straight jog from there on out if there have been no issues.  You can also start adding distance to your runs now that you are leaving the walk phase.  Don't worry too much about that 17 mile run or the 115 mile bike.  If you get 3 bikes over 85 that should be fine if 2 are over 100 that is better, but if you totally kill yourself on a 115 bike you may open yourself up a touch to injury.  If you are feeling good and low wind go for it, just be careful these last 3 weeks of build it is the riskiest time injury wise.  You are roughly 3-3 1/2 weeks out from your last long run (14 miles), by  4 weeks you should be pretty good.  At this point I might roll out the calf with a marathon stick, but not too aggressively and every so slightly stretch .. do not make the stretch hurt, just a touch of tension for 30 sec and let it go.  Keep icing after runs.  Ok here is the judgment part.  I am stupid so I would probably go 10 miles long this week, 13 long next week and 16 long the following week assuming all of your runs are without pain.  Then 3 weeks to recover.  The only reason you can jump that much (more than 10 percent added to your long per week) is that you were already doing 14-16 miles within the past 3-5 weeks.  Otherwise it would be too aggressive.  Your bike fitness will generalize to your run.  If you feel any pain you need to drop to a walk and reevaluate.  When I was in your shoes the highest I got was to a 10 mile continuous jog before taper, but you have 3 more weeks to recover than I had.  Does that make sense, let me know if not.  Do not let any of your long runs go over 3:00.  So if you want to do 16 and you hit 3:00 at mile 15, just call it there.  Do small enough loops that you have an out around 3:00. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-05-02 1:31 AM
2013-05-02 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Mitch -- great news!

Health question -- anyone know how to prevent calf cramps while swimming? It usually happens when I push off the wall later in workouts. I try to drink during the swim sessions, but at least half my swim workouts I get these, and they hurt like heck. I usually don't eat/drink anything but a bit of water before my masters class (5:30 AM start). Should I grab something salty before hand?

This weekend  I'm signed up for a half marathon. With my hammy injury my running has been minimal, and I'm thinking a DNS would be a wise move. However, the "type A" in me in convinced I could do this, using my 9:1 run/walk approach, and still live to see another day. If the hammy acts up, I'd DNF, but it kills me not to even try. Would I be an idiot to try this?

My first race is less than 6 weeks away -- its the same HIM where I crashed last year and destroyed my bike. I'm feeling good about the swim, feel I'll be OK/good on the bike, and the run will be what it will be, likely a long, slow slog, but my only goal is to finish. I'm starting to freak out a bit as my training this spring has been inconsistent, inturrupted by multiple factors, and derailed by some injuries. Trying to make May count for all it can, so hope that can help out.

2013-05-02 8:31 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Steve - Yeh.. depth a bit weak and I have been glad to meet the longs. I have 4 runs penciled in the WO plan but fitting it in is aweful hard lately. Think I will need to double up a bit more on the shorter stuff. Thanks for input. Also not sure I have seem it stated but for a HIM, the bike is 56 miles, what number and distance would be good to complete prior to race day? Is that the same for the run/swim?

Mitch - Great news on the healthy baby.

Samantha - Great work. Those are incredible numbers and definitely deserving a spot on the start line. My thoughts went to walking some, which I have done a bit on my last long run. I probably could have pushed through when the thought came up that sometimes you need to regroup. It is perhaps more appropriate with the MASH unit but the idea is that we all need to "regroup" and not feel rest of the axiety.

Carol - Balance is such a hard thing to find, especially when you are looking for it. Sure you will get there though

Pam - Hope things quiet down for you. Life can get so crazy.

2013-05-02 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

To complete a HIM I like to see folks get at least 3 rides of 50-60 miles.  Getting 3 rides of 60 to 65 miles is better and when I am whole I try to get 4-5 rides at 75... but that is to go faster not just to finish.  With the run to complete I like to see 3 longs in the 11 to 13 range, better 3 runs in the 13 to 15 range and when I want to go faster I go 4-5 in the 15-16 range.  Swim to complete 3-5 long in the 1900 to 2200 range, better 3 in the 2300 to 2500 range and to go fast 4-5 in the 2500 to 3000 range. 

Mike your weekly mileage has been 5, 11, 7, 7, 0, 9, 13, 0 , 3.  With longs in the 6-8 range.  First, that is is a risky pattern of running without the weekly miles to support your longs.  I wouldn't feel comfortable doing a HM with a total of 26 miles in the previous 4 weeks.  Can you survive a walk/run approach and finish, probably.  Would it be smart, no.  Will you do it, probably.  Your bike is fine atm you can build easily into the 55 to 65 mile range in the time you have.  Your swim is also solid.  Your run... well not so much.  At minimum I would add in walking 4 miles 4x per week to support your long runs.  If the leg is feeling well you can make them jogs or run/walks.  How long has the hamy been on the mend?  Avoid hills, avoid speedwork on bike and run, avoid a long stride on the run until that hammy is solid.  Avoid a strong push off the wall in the pool will help with the calf, more relaxed ankles will help.  It is less likely a food/nutrition issue so much as pushing off the wall lots.  Stretching the calves can help, adding in toe raises during the day can help (not right before swim), keeping your calves rolled out with marathon stick can help. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-05-02 10:07 AM
2013-05-02 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Thanks, Steve. The hammy has been on the mend (feeling gradually better) the past 3 weeks, and not having done much running the past 2 has helped the most. The run on Tuesday of this week was focused on easy pace, shorter strides, walk if needed. All went well, and it felt fine the next day which was a big plus. I plan on keeping that approach with all my runs the next few weeks heading into the race. The HIM will be a definite walk/run scenario. I'm not blowing up my season trying to be a hero with the leg recovery.

Did chuckle about the HM this weekend. Will I do it? Its unlikely. It *will* be a beautiful day, and it is a long run day, but its just not a smart thing to do. And its quite hilly the last couple miles, and I'm not looking to run up any hills and my leg really lets me know there's an issue when I do.

Looking forward to the next group!

2013-05-02 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good afternoon everyone!  I see that we've been pushed to the archives so that means that new faces will be joining us soon enough.  Today was a good but difficult day.  My legs were pretty tired from going from 0 real road biking miles to 36 so far this week.  I went to the gym and my body and I had a nice chat.  I suggested that my body cut the crap and start doing what I wanted it to do and it respectfully refused!  As a result, I had a very mediocre strength training session before hopping on the elliptical for 30 minutes.  Then the fun began.  I spoke with my PT's and my wife about why I can't kick while swimming yesterday....my wife saw NO reason and the PT's had to come together to figure out its because they don't want me to contract my calf too hard while kicking.  I explained that I don't kick hard...I just kick enough to maintain balance....they understood but for liability purposes would not go against doctors orders.  So, with my wife on my side, I swam without my pull buoy.  I ended up doing 10x50 @10s and my swimming issues I had been having disappeared.  I think it was due to focusing on making sure I didn't kick too hard.  My balance and timing was very good and more importantly, my AT didn't hurt at all.  I know some of you will take me to task but I can assure you; if I could injure myself, there's no way on God's green earth that my wife would give me the go ahead.  The swim was very good; I wasn't tired at all and it felt good to swim normally again.  I'll be doing more of these interval swims to stay safe; I think if I tried to do a longer consecutive swim I may be more tempted to kick harder as I started to fatigue and that can't happen. 

Steve: Thanks for the feedback on HR training.  I was watching a video by Endurance Nation and they were talking about the fact that you only have so many beats for a race...so you can't go out too fast on the bike or you'll suffer on the run.  Common sense stuff but I like the heart beat analogy...that's what got me thinking about HR training.  Do you remember if you did the LT test to get your HR, the Moffone equation, or the traditional 220-age?  One other question; what is a safe distance to increase bike miles by?  I was thinking 5 mile intervals.

Pam: I hope today is a much better day for you!  I'm not familiar with that book you mentioned either

Anthony: Good job getting in the water at the hotel....5 strokes and then turning around...you are a patient man!  Are you anxious about the swim?  I noticed a hint of that in your post and that's the first time I can recall you showing any anxiety about your swimming.

Mitch: Great news on the baby!  I'm looking forward to watching you get healthy and train more!

Carol: I'm glad to hear that your friend took you up on your race offer.  Maybe that'll help get you re-energized with training

Samantha: Those are some serious training numbers for April; well done!  Unfortunately, we both know you'll never be content with your work but I hope my opinions I've shared with you stay in the front of you mind!

Mike: More brainstorming from me on the calf issue.  Do you go to your class on an empty stomach?  If so, could you deal with eating a banana or a gel (powerbar, egel, something with a little more potassium/sodium than GU)  If that doesnt work, maybe taking a magnesium vitamin the night before a class may help?  I started taking magnesium supplements the week prior to any race and I think its helped keep cramps away.  Here comes a big shock to you....I think you should do your half mary.  I think that you've already paid for the race...so you should consider it a training session.  You can experiment with your 10:1 run/walk ratio and see how it goes.  You may find out that you have to change it to 8:1 or perhaps just walking the water stations.  As you've said, if anything feels off during the race, DNF it.

That's all for now.  I'm still trying to get the prison to sign the documentation so I can return to work on Thursday.  Its so frustrating to deal with beaurocracy but I have some friends in high places who are going to do some snooping for me this afternoon.  Have a good day all!

2013-05-02 3:53 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ok I did put in to be a mentor again so my group should surface in a week or whatever his timeframe is. 

I tend to jump run miles on the long by 1 per week (10% ish) and bike can go up by 10 per week.  Ya you could stretch it to 15 or even 20 mile increase for the long bike, but your neck, butt and shoulders will not thank you for it.  Swim I usualy only increas by 300 yards per week on the long though 500 would be probably still be ok.  My shoulders are still not where I would like them muscle balance wise.

Do not do the 220 - age thing.  It can be off by like 50 beats per minute.  My run LT is 175, Carols is 195 and I am sure we have someone at 165 in here, Lance Armstrong's LT is like 210 or so.  Do the test, warmup 10 minutes then 30 minutes as hard as you can possibly sustain, clock HR for the last 20 minutes and average that last 20 min is your LT.  Your bike LT will be different than your run LT etc.  You need to do a test in each sport. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-05-02 3:56 PM
2013-05-02 4:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
A couple years ago I was going to jog a 4 miler with some hills (race) because my wife was racing and I wanted to run the rac with her with a soft pull of my hammy.  I was in very good run shape having done Boston about 3 weeks prior.  Ya the down hill had me striding farther than my hamy wanted me to and on the last hill coming up to the finish line, pop goes the hammy and 2-3 months of recovery.  With a HIM coming up I really can't say ya go for it on a HM with long run of 7 ish miles and weekly totals so low.  It could realy blow the whole summer. I think it was a good year before all twinges for the hamstring were gone.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-05-02 4:45 PM
2013-05-02 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
No race for me. Would be idiotic.
2013-05-02 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Another quick driveby post.  I'm probably foolish optimistic but I think that I've got things resolved with the rental and will soon have time for training.  'Course since it's too late for today, looks like it will be tomorrow before I will actually have some time.  Here's to hoping for the best.

Mitch, Yay!!!!!!  So glad to hear that all is well with the baby.  Like I said before, I went thru the exact same thing.  The two weeks between the planting of the doubt and the diagnosis that my baby was fine...well it was hell.  Thrilled that all is well.

Mike, I did a HM once when my back had been damaged but was recovering.  My logic was that I had already paid for the HM and we already had the condo booked so I could pull out but at least I could start the race.  Fine logic - if you adhere to it.  Technically I should have pulled out around mile 10 or 11 but {this was my brain talking} "Who pulls out when there is only a few miles to go?"  Thankfully my body was further along with recovery and I didn't completely mess myself up for months.  But I think you are wise to forego the race since I think you would probably have trouble stepping out at x point in the race.

Sorry the post is so brief but I'm going to try to get some sleep and get up early tomorrow for a run.

2013-05-02 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Jay - I am feeling anxious about the swim. I haven't ever swam that distance so I guess it's the fear of the unknown. I never seem to train enough for the swim. Gonna change that for the next race. Gotta correct the sinking hips and some other things.Mitch - awesome news from the docs! Keep up the awesome, steady building type training.Mike - I think it's wise to DNS the HM. Glad to see you can keep the type A at bay and do the smart thing. Stay healthy and train another day!Jay - just remembered I'm jealous of the HR monitor. That's one of the next things on my wish list. Along with a trainer for the winter. Trisolar - Just wanted to say I'm with you in the amazement of IM training. I feel I have cut everything I possibly can to train as much as I do now. I commend everyone that makes all the necessary sacrifices.
2013-05-02 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

I just can't keep up on the posts!  Love this group.

Mike - I am so glad you are not racing!  way to go!

did a 3.5 mile run this morning then a spin class.  Something has really jumped in my running.  Lungs have opened up a bit the last few and I am very excited!  Patience, patience.

2013-05-02 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Joe and Jay - I appreciate you votes of confidence and encouragement so much!

Steve - I like the plan you laid out. I was gonna get on here and ask about run distances when I realized you already answered the question. I would love to be back up to 16 miles, but we will see. The calf is still very tight. Thanks for signing up for another mentor round!

So I rode 42 miles of the IM course today and averaged 14.82mph; I'll take that. There really aren't many flats, but the downhills are nice for me to take a break. I would probably pedal through them, but I would go way faster than I want to go. I'd rather live to ride another day than push my comfort limits. One question about biking in the wind. When I'm going downhill and the wind is blowing it wreaks havoc on my bike by tossing it around. Is there anything I can or should do when this happens. It scares the crap out of me when it happens and adds to my anxiety about going fast downhill, especially in aero. And, in case some of you don't know this, stop signs are considered yield signs and stop lights are considered stop signs for bikers. At least in Idaho. I always thought I was risking getting a ticket for not stopping at stop signs, so glad I am not required to.

Now I'm off to cover 5 miles on foot.

2013-05-02 11:12 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
In IM races all intersections are controlled so you can just go through them (but still look).  If you are in aero you will be blown around less, if you don't want to go too fast and want a little more control you can be up on the horns and just lean forward some or straighter to wind break yourself.  If you are wobbly you can hug the top tube with your knees (if not pedaling), you can always brake some if you want to go slower and be affected less by the wind, you can allow more room between the side of the road and your bike to give you more maneuvering room, your race uniform will result in less blowing around than a bike jacket. 
2013-05-03 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Mitch, very, very happy for you and your wife!

Anthony, good luck in your race this weekend!  Start outside and back, and stay away from folks breast stroking (easy to get frog kicked).  When in doubt, just relax and float, then start swimming again when you are ready.  If you can get in the water ahead of time, get your face wet, etc. it might help you to relax a bit more.  But either way, you will be fine.

No time for more posting, but happy weekend to all!

2013-05-03 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Echoing Carol -- yes, get in the water before the start and relax. This worked very well for me at my first HIM last June. Was completely freaking about the race, and just how far the bouys were (seemed like 20 miles), a bit of chop in the water, etc.

Got my suit on, and jumped in for a warm up. Not only did the water feel great (warm!) but I did a quick swim out to one bouy & back, and it was completely confidence inspiring.

Looking forward to the weekend. Easy run tonight, tomorrow is a 50 mile bike, sunday a nice long run, and an easy bike later in the day. The only downside is the temp has plummeted here, and while it will be nice & sunny, low temps tomorrow & Sun AM when I'll be heading out are calling for mid 30's!!!! SO.....more inside riding.

2013-05-03 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for the swim advice everyone. I will make it through. It is just the fear of the unkonwn for me. I can't see the bottom of the lake/river. I don't know how far I've gone since I last sighted. I don't know how far i have yet to go. Just conveniences I have in the pool, but I need to get used to in OWS. Sounds like I should try to get in the water for a practice swim tomorrow and before my wave starts on Sunday. Starting back and on the outside is also another strategy I am going to do. I really don't want to get kicked, and i'm not trying to break any times. Unfortunately, I obsess about things, end up over thinking them, and getting worked up over nothing. Thanks for all the advice. Talking things out and hearing from others is what really helps me straighten everything out. Well gotta finish up some more work and then drive down to Indy tonight. Talk to y'all later (gotta start saying y'all so I fit in in Tennessee )

2013-05-03 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

You got this Anthony.  My first IM I was just like you.  I ended up with a 1:14 IM swim, found a groove and now I LOVE to swim.  The unknown is the worst part.

Gonna do another 8 mile long run this weekend.  6 with the running group then I'll add another 2.  I know the  pace will be a bit faster than if  I'm on my own so we'll see how it ends up!  Feels like I've been running forever again but it's only been 8 weeks and I'm happy with where I am.  I'm starting to add my S and B back into things so more basing for me... Need LOTS of work on everything...  a year down is a very long time!

And thank you all for the good wishes.  It's funny that I didn't tell anyone what we were going through except this group!  It's good to be able to get things out there and get feedback.  BT is for Mind, Body and Spirit!

2013-05-03 3:32 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Sounding good Mitch.  Ya not so many people understand when we whine about having to do a 65 mile bike ride or whatever and they respond well don't, problem solved.  Even our spouses tend to not be all that enthused even if they are supportive.  I showed my self created IM plan to my wife and she said um lots of numbers...
2013-05-03 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
"Lots of numbers" LOL   --- my family is convinced I"m nuts to do what I'm doing. My sisters reaction to doing a HIM last year, after hearing the distances "Why would you want to do THAT?!?! It sounds horrible!"

2013-05-04 6:00 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Yes, I talked about racing a HIM last night with my wife and she was fine until I said the race is 6-7 hours. Things got quiet. Then she said "you better not leave me alone." Ooops TIM. She is supportive to a point.

Anthony - Rock your race! Nerves are there for a reason. I can remember my first race last year and I planned on BOP and ended up passing a number of people. I am not lightning fast so this took me by surprise but was a great confidence booster.

Mike - The cold does end but it might be another week or so before more normal temps for Boston. 38 again here in Jersey. Burr.

Mitch - Pass along some of that run mojo... Great work!

Had a couple big nights. Thursday was a run/swim night. I had some nice energy on the run finishing 5K in 29:29. That is probably my fastest so far this year with great negative splits. The swim was a short but nice. Finished 1500 in about 38 minutes with 500 breast wu then 5x50 free repeats on 1:15, a short rest then another 5x50 on 1:15, finishing with 500 yrds alternating 25 breast and 25 free. Friday was a bike and run. The bike was short but fast for me where I averaged over 17mph for the first 8 of 11 miles. Then the Run 10 minutes later went well enough as I kept the legs moving for a 30 min 5k. Today a quick easy run followed by a swim. Happy weekend training/racing everyone!

2013-05-04 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

50 mile trainer ride done this AM. 3:02 to finish. I'm SO psyched about this. Real confidence boost. Next week 56 in 3:00 is the goal.  Have a great day everyone!

Mike

2013-05-04 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Carol - hope your doing well!

Mike D - your swim and bike are amazing!

I did a great 8 miles with the running group this morn.  6 with the group and then another 2.  Averaged about 8:50 or so and finished strong.  I was going to do 9 this weekend but last weeks 8 was very hard so I figured I'd do it again just to be safe.  Recovery run tomorrow...

2013-05-04 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

I know that I'll miss some people in my response and I apologize in advance.  I just read back over the last few posts and didn't scroll back further because of limited time.  I'm sorry but I will catch up on all soon.

Joe, is your wife talking about doing the HIM too?  If so, that is great and don't worry about having to stay with her during the whole HIM.  You may have to, sure, but I suspect that once you begin training, both of you will fall into different rhythms.  When I began running, I wanted my hubby to run too.  But later when he began running, I found that we just aren't good together whether it's training or a race.  We can do things "around each other" but it's better if we don't hang with each other.

Mike, dang, that is great on the trainer!

Steve, I'm so excited to see if you do Tahoe.  I know that you are approaching it reasonably and I hope it goes well.

I know that every training session is supposed to have a purpose but I'm not sure about today's.  It was sllllloooooowwwww and it was eeeeaaaaasssssyyyy with lots of walk breaks but Lord it felt good to be out there.  We will call it a mental health training.  I went for a run last evening too but had to cut it short.  TMI here but since I've changed my diet to more beef to attempt to pump up the hemo, well it is reaking havoc on my digestive system.  These baby loops around the house aren't exciting but it is nice to move.

Best of luck to Anthony and Stu tomorrow!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52