BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-06 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4648710

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train!
stephsprint - 2013-03-06 1:26 PMHump day.I would share my bike drama with you, but it's just too annoying. Suffice it to say I got my new trainer, and my bike was damaged and now I have a rental (for free) and haven't been on it. I need to get past this... I have to train.I just get so angry LOOKING at it. MY bike has to be sent to TREK to have the entire frame replaced.
So sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything works out. I'm sure it's quite a story for another day. Keep your chin up!

2013-03-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Should have waited to listen to the head mechanic. They can fix it. Parts should be here today... and I will get my bike back. I rode the rental on the trainer and it went pretty well. Did a couple of mini-bricks.

Still swimming slow. There must be some trick to this that I'm just not yet feeling. Can't wait until I do... love those AHA moments.
2013-03-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4649270

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Should have taken a deep breath!
2013-03-08 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Gorgeous here! Doors and windows open!
2013-03-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4647539

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Lovey - 2013-03-05 2:44 PMOk. I just signed up for a 30 day challenge at Hardbody Outdoor Fitness. I will be taking my son and hubby with me. The workouts are 4x a week at 5:30 am. Just looking at the videos I feel like I am on the biggest loser! I am in for some pain even though they will be modifying it because of my ankle but still challenging me and pushing me to my limits. Me and my son are kind of scared. It will be exhausting so I will only add swimming to it.I am suppose to start on Monday which works great as we alsoigned up for the Biggest loser Challenge at my church that starts on Monday.I will keep you posted on my progress and log the workouts. FYI- this is my first week wearing normal shoes. Yeah! I couldn't find comfortable shoes but my PT recommended Dansko. Costly at $125 to $150 a pair. They are super comfortable.Lovey
Sounds fantastic! When does it start?And congrats on the shoes.Happy feet are extremely important. Sure has been a long rode for you and your ankle. Glad it continues to get stronger.
2013-03-09 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Saturday, what did we all do today?

I had a run day. Speed work. Long run tomorrow.

Listening to the new David Bowie album on iTunes (free for now) and thinking, maybe I should run with head phones. I say on the paths...

anybody run with music? how do you feel about it. Are you a purist NO HEADPHONES ever, or do you use them in races? Curious, I know people who are die hard BOTH ways. I think as long as it's safe.. one bud in and one out, you should be able to run that way. Never on a bike.

I DO NOT run with music, except one half marathon. My PR. )

I'm a safety nut, so I wonder if it's a big thing for any of you?

2013-03-10 8:57 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
The weather here in NJ is finally starting to get better. We had snow on Friday, but almost 60 yesterday. I did an hour and a half on the trainer yesterday, but today the bike ride will be outside!
2013-03-10 2:29 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I got outside for my workout today! Yay! Program called for 60 min bike / 10 min run brick. No problem on the bike, did 14.6 miles with some hills in just about an hour. I'm happy with that and I know I'll get stronger and faster. The transition to run still kills me. I get legs like a baby deer. They just don't want to run. Then some aching (I wouldn't call it pain) in my calves. Any tips on making that transition?
2013-03-10 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

RE Music on Run:  I don't use music when outside or during races. Actually read an article not too long ago that claimed some studies showed people ran faster when not listening to music. On the treadmill, that's another story. I NEED music then or I might go insane.  Actually had to run 15 on the treadmill today due to the threat of nasty weather and some tummy issues that made me feel that I should not be straying too far from a bathroom.  Both issues turned out to be non-issues, but I actually made it through the run with my mind intact, in part to some good tunes.

Yeah for 60 degrees in NJ!  Waiting for some decent outdoor bike weather here.  

Speaking of bikes, the hubby and I just purchased 2 new Trek Fitness bikes.  I really want to do some more trail riding (crushed stone type trails) and really can't do that safely with a road bike.  Will be fun to mix it up with some new scenery and routes other than the roads. Bikes come in next week and then will get fitted. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend, training and otherwise.  

Anyone have a race coming up soon?

2013-03-10 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4653100

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
suzimmer - 2013-03-09 1:05 PM

Lovey - 2013-03-05 2:44 PMOk. I just signed up for a 30 day challenge at Hardbody Outdoor Fitness. I will be taking my son and hubby with me. The workouts are 4x a week at 5:30 am. Just looking at the videos I feel like I am on the biggest loser! I am in for some pain even though they will be modifying it because of my ankle but still challenging me and pushing me to my limits. Me and my son are kind of scared. It will be exhausting so I will only add swimming to it.I am suppose to start on Monday which works great as we alsoigned up for the Biggest loser Challenge at my church that starts on Monday.I will keep you posted on my progress and log the workouts. FYI- this is my first week wearing normal shoes. Yeah! I couldn't find comfortable shoes but my PT recommended Dansko. Costly at $125 to $150 a pair. They are super comfortable.Lovey
Sounds fantastic! When does it start?And congrats on the shoes.Happy feet are extremely important. Sure has been a long rode for you and your ankle. Glad it continues to get stronger.

Tomorrow is the first day of Hardbody Outdoor Fitness. My hubby and son are going too. We are all nervous but hope it goes well. Here is a video of some of the workouts for anyone interested in seeing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5QQwAd0Es&feature=player_embedded#
2013-03-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4654232

Veteran

Lovey - 2013-03-10 6:51 PM
Tomorrow is the first day of Hardbody Outdoor Fitness. My hubby and son are going too. We are all nervous but hope it goes well. Here is a video of some of the workouts for anyone interested in seeing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5QQwAd0Es&feature=player_embed...

Watched the video - looks like a fun program - especially with your husband and son taking part. Pretty motivational 'before' and 'afters'!

2013-03-10 10:09 PM

Veteran

It has been a crazy weekend here - all training out the window as my son has begun getting college responses.  So far he has a yes from his number 2 and 3 choices so it has been a fun crazy emotional weekend. Will hear from them all by the end of the month. 

I did get us signed up for the Bike the Bay in August.  We will celebrate my husband's birthday by doing this ride as a family.  My husband and I did it years ago before kids - OMG that was MANY years ago, and he did it last year with my son, so I am hoping he will enjoy it as a birthday gift this year.

I hope you all made your training goals this weekend!  Happy Daylight Savings Cool

2013-03-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4654294

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Threejs - 2013-03-10 11:09 PM

It has been a crazy weekend here - all training out the window as my son has begun getting college responses.  So far he has a yes from his number 2 and 3 choices so it has been a fun crazy emotional weekend. Will hear from them all by the end of the month. 

I did get us signed up for the Bike the Bay in August.  We will celebrate my husband's birthday by doing this ride as a family.  My husband and I did it years ago before kids - OMG that was MANY years ago, and he did it last year with my son, so I am hoping he will enjoy it as a birthday gift this year.

I hope you all made your training goals this weekend!  Happy Daylight Savings Cool

Wow, lots of happy exciting stuff at your house! I remember those days... ah!

A family ride sounds like such great fun, he will love it.
2013-03-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4654287

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Threejs - 2013-03-10 10:57 PM

Lovey - 2013-03-10 6:51 PM
Tomorrow is the first day of Hardbody Outdoor Fitness. My hubby and son are going too. We are all nervous but hope it goes well. Here is a video of some of the workouts for anyone interested in seeing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc5QQwAd0Es&feature=player_embedded#

Watched the video - looks like a fun program - especially with your husband and son taking part. Pretty motivational 'before' and 'afters'!

We survived my first day of boot camp! A great but very challenging workout. He split us up so we could partner with veteran participants. Told my son if he is in doubt do whatever the person next to you is doing. The trainer did every exercise he gave us and moved through the group as he did. At one point, I was partnered with the trainer and thought I was dying! I pushed myself because I didn’t want to wimp out. He was very encouraging and motivating. You will definitely get your burn on in this class.

The group I was mainly in was cool too. One of the women had shattered her ankle too. Yeah! Not yeah good but yeah that I can see what I will be able to do down the road. She was almost at 2 years since her surgery and she was back to running. That really inspired me to keep pushing through.

I
2013-03-13 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4654294

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Threejs - 2013-03-10 10:09 PM

Very exciting! Hope he gets his #1.  

Great b-day gift idea for the hubby. I think I should look for some rides for me and mine. I hope the new bikes get him out there, but perhaps having paid money to sign up for ride will be even added incentive.

2013-03-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4655166

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

We survived my first day of boot camp! A great but very challenging workout. He split us up so we could partner with veteran participants. Told my son if he is in doubt do whatever the person next to you is doing. The trainer did every exercise he gave us and moved through the group as he did. At one point, I was partnered with the trainer and thought I was dying! I pushed myself because I didn’t want to wimp out. He was very encouraging and motivating. You will definitely get your burn on in this class. The group I was mainly in was cool too. One of the women had shattered her ankle too. Yeah! Not yeah good but yeah that I can see what I will be able to do down the road. She was almost at 2 years since her surgery and she was back to running. That really inspired me to keep pushing through. I

Congrats! I watched the video and looks like some awesome workouts. Keep it up!

2013-03-16 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
First week of bootcamp done! Monday, I was so sore it hurt to breathe. By Friday, I felt energized and awake for the day. Friday's workout included jump roping and I power walked (not long) to warm up. The jump rope didn't hurt once I got over the fear of landing on my foot and made sure I landed on the balls of my feet. While power walking, my shin started hurting then I tried a little jog but my ankle started hurting a little so I stopped and just power walked. It was only for a warm up.

Today my old running partner invited me to start walking. She has an injured knee so she can't run either.
I walked a 5K!! WooHoo! My first walk and did 3.1 miles.
2013-03-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4662385

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2013-03-16 12:31 PM

First week of bootcamp done! Monday, I was so sore it hurt to breathe. By Friday, I felt energized and awake for the day. Friday's workout included jump roping and I power walked (not long) to warm up. The jump rope didn't hurt once I got over the fear of landing on my foot and made sure I landed on the balls of my feet. While power walking, my shin started hurting then I tried a little jog but my ankle started hurting a little so I stopped and just power walked. It was only for a warm up.

Today my old running partner invited me to start walking. She has an injured knee so she can't run either.
I walked a 5K!! WooHoo! My first walk and did 3.1 miles.

I'm so happy for you!!! Glad you are testing that ankle and doing the right thing by it. Also THRILLED that your partner is back!! You guys can walk together... so good!!
2013-03-16 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Lovey! Fantastic! Great job on getting through the first week of your boot camp and the ankle is holding it's own. So glad you have your walking partner back. You've got your family at boot camp and a friend to walk with. Life is good.
2013-03-16 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4662385

Veteran
Lovey - 2013-03-16 9:31 AMFirst week of bootcamp done! Monday, I was so sore it hurt to breathe. By Friday, I felt energized and awake for the day. Friday's workout included jump roping and I power walked (not long) to warm up. The jump rope didn't hurt once I got over the fear of landing on my foot and made sure I landed on the balls of my feet. While power walking, my shin started hurting then I tried a little jog but my ankle started hurting a little so I stopped and just power walked. It was only for a warm up.Today my old running partner invited me to start walking. She has an injured knee so she can't run either. I walked a 5K!! WooHoo! My first walk and did 3.1 miles.
Congratulations! So inspirational. Keep up the great work (that goes for your husband and son too ??)
2013-03-16 10:33 PM
in reply to: #4662868

Veteran
Threejs - 2013-03-16 8:31 PM
Lovey - 2013-03-16 9:31 AMFirst week of bootcamp done! Monday, I was so sore it hurt to breathe. By Friday, I felt energized and awake for the day. Friday's workout included jump roping and I power walked (not long) to warm up. The jump rope didn't hurt once I got over the fear of landing on my foot and made sure I landed on the balls of my feet. While power walking, my shin started hurting then I tried a little jog but my ankle started hurting a little so I stopped and just power walked. It was only for a warm up.Today my old running partner invited me to start walking. She has an injured knee so she can't run either. I walked a 5K!! WooHoo! My first walk and did 3.1 miles.
Congratulations! So inspirational. Keep up the great work (that goes for your husband and son too ??)
Those were supposed to be happy faces not question marks...

2013-03-18 3:50 PM

Lovey - congrats on the boot camp. Nice to do with family. Have a great week!
2013-03-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4664973

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
ConnieVisc - 2013-03-18 4:50 PM

Lovey - congrats on the boot camp. Nice to do with family. Have a great week!

Thanks. I lost 2lbs last week. has anyone ever heard of "jumping jack pushups" or "pushup jacks"?
We had to do that crap this morning and it was haaaaaaaaarrrrrd! I found a short video of it. See below. Who comes up with these stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQcg6_iArQA

I am finally on a roll and the mentoring is closing. Noooooo!!!!
2013-03-18 4:46 PM

Congrats on the weight loss too! You are doing great. just looked at the video. Wow!
2013-03-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4665031

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Lovey - 2013-03-18 4:19 PM
ConnieVisc - 2013-03-18 4:50 PM Lovey - congrats on the boot camp. Nice to do with family. Have a great week!
Thanks. I lost 2lbs last week. has anyone ever heard of "jumping jack pushups" or "pushup jacks"? We had to do that crap this morning and it was haaaaaaaaarrrrrd! I found a short video of it. See below. Who comes up with these stuff? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQcg6_iArQAI am finally on a roll and the mentoring is closing. Noooooo!!!!

We could keep the group going in the new mentor session.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16