BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-12-23 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train!
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Let's do it now, we should all be base building...

GROUP FOCUS: Sprint, Olys, and 70.3

NAME: Stephanie

STORY: I am still a relative newbie to this after training for 2 years. Yes, for some of us it takes some time! I'm 48 years old and just started running 3 years ago. I'm married and living in Miami, although I'm moving to Atlanta next month; Hello hills!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15 years to a Marathoner... which means I haven't slept past 5am on a Saturday in years.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working on being more consistent, I've done a few sprints and am signed up for an Olympic distance in March and a 70.3 Half Iron in May. Join me in my training! We'll help each other!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did 2 sprints this year, and my first Duathlon.... I also TOTALLY panicked and bailed out of the water on my first Olympic. (long story... join if you want to hear all the good advice I got about this incident)

2013 RACES:

March 23rd, HITS Olympic Triathlon Ocala, FL
May 19th, Ironman 70.3 Haines City, FL

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 180lbs right now. At my heaviest. Will be losing 30ish pounds for Haines City. Every 5lbs lighter helps you go faster and keeps foot and knee stress at bay. We'll be watching our diet in here too. Everything you eat should be good for you. If you don't know what you are eating, and what it's made of... we need to sort that out. I'm not going to turn this into a diet page, I am not a nutritionist. I just think it's important to be mindful of food and drink.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I've done a lot of things wrong and more things correctly in this journey. I'd like to share both kinds of experiences. I'll be online posting regularly... and logging my workouts! I care about people and want to help them have successes. Crossing that finishing line and having lots of workouts to log feels great! Each week you put in the effort and time pays off. BIG. I promise.

Edited by stephsprint 2013-01-02 9:23 AM

2012-12-26 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: StephSprint - OPEN! Let's go SBR!!!

Name:  Susie 

Story:  I am 51 and had been a runner for many years and athletic in my younger days.  Marriage, kids, career....In my late 30's I began to develop a series of autoimmune diseases (I have Crohn's disease among several others) and thought my active days we over.  After feeling sorry for myself, I took charge of my life. I changed doctors, radically changed my diet (I'm wheat, dairy, corn and peanut free) and began to run again. In 2005, I decided to do a sprint triathlon. I felt euphoric as I crossed the finish line and quickly signed up for another.  Since that time I have done all distances of triathlon, including Ironman Wisconsin twice, qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon.  I love my active lifestyle and credit it with keeping me as healthy as I can possibly be despite the medical challenges I have.

I "met" Steph in a mentor group a while back and this year we decided to co-mentor a group together.

Family:  I have been married for 26 years and have two sons. One has graduated college, the other is a junior in college.  My other babies are my two dogs, Harley, a Coon Hound/Lab mix and Toby, a Jack Russell Terrier.  

Current Training:  My training is currently run focus as I have several running races slated for 2013.  I train 6 days a week,but I only run 3 times and cross train on the others. Also, as of this past September, I have fallen in love with Yoga.  Great for runners!  

This year's races:  New Orleans Rock and Roll Half - Feb 24,  Boston Marathon - April 15, Indy Mini Half Marathon - May 4. I'm hoping to add a tri or two in the summer.

Why I would be a good Mentor:  I love what this sport and lifestyle have given me and would like to encourage others.  I am not an expert by any means, but do have a bit of experience. I am also very interested in nutrition and clean, healthy eating. (Although I have sweet tooth that I am constantly trying to tame)

2012-12-30 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Suz and Steph for all - OPEN! Let's go SBR!!!
Here we are for Jan/Feb/March to help you with your training, racing, and generally help you along!

All are welcome.
2012-12-30 4:36 PM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - OPEN! Let's go SBR!!!

You ladies are awesome! May I hang out with you again?

2012-12-30 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
You bet! Glad to have you back again.
2012-12-30 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I would love to join your group! Again!

I am married with 2 active boys, 9 and 14yrs old. After deciding to lose weight and get in shape, I started run/walking in 2008 with the couch to 5k program. I did several 5Ks, an 8k and a 10K that year. Since then I have done several more plus numerous 10 milers and half marathon and a couple of triathlons and one duathlon. I even did a full marathon in 2011 with a stress fracture. I dropped from an 18/20 to a size 12. Due to my injury, i had to take summer and most of fall off. My weight climbed as my fitness plummeted.

When I did my first triathlon attempt in 2009, I was pulled from the race for not completing the swim in time. I signed up for swim training and did 2 sprints in 2010. I did a triathlon relay last year but I was the biker. When I started all this, I never ran, swim or knew how to ride a bike. It is daunting learning to ride as an adult.

Well this year, I turned 40. I have always been fat and slow but wanted to drop get back in shape, and drop 40 pounds all in time for my birthday. Well 2012 wasn't my year. After shattering my ankle on mother's day. Surgery and rehab followed. Now with a metal plate and 8 screws, I still don't have full rotation in my left ankle.

For now, I can do weights, swimming, spinning and elliptical. My hope is to really push myself, be accountable and able to at least walk a 5K by the end of April.

I enjoyed running and biking but swimming is SO HARD for me but now it will be my primary workout.

Lovey

2012-12-30 5:54 PM

User image

Hello!  May I join your group?  I am 44, married with 2 kids, and am aiming for a first 'warm-up' triathlon in April for beginners, then a 70.3 on June 1, 2013, and if that goes well, another one July 28, 2013.  I just started learning to swim in September, and although that is going well, it is probably my weakest spot, although I haven't yet raced on bikes.  You may guess that I am counting on a strong finish running! Running I have been doing for almost 3 years, completing a 10k, 3 half-marathons, and 2 marathons so far!

Jeptha

2012-12-30 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4554225

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Delighted to have you back Lovey!
2012-12-30 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4554250

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Jeptha - 2012-12-30 6:54 PM

Hello!  May I join your group?  I am 44, married with 2 kids, and am aiming for a first 'warm-up' triathlon in April for beginners, then a 70.3 on June 1, 2013, and if that goes well, another one July 28, 2013.  I just started learning to swim in September, and although that is going well, it is probably my weakest spot, although I haven't yet raced on bikes.  You may guess that I am counting on a strong finish running! Running I have been doing for almost 3 years, completing a 10k, 3 half-marathons, and 2 marathons so far!

Jeptha

Yes! Welcome Jeptha! The swim is tough for a lot of people, but there's lots of help on this site. Do you have a plan?
2012-12-30 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Lovey, Welcome back and glad you are persevering through your ankle rehab. Keep it up! Jeptha, Welcome to the group! I'm very impressed that in only 3 years of running you've already done 2 marathons. But it seems you aim big, as you have planned a 70.3 as your second tri.

Edited by suzimmer 2012-12-30 6:51 PM
2012-12-31 12:32 AM

New user

Tulsa
Hi all!I'm excited to be joining a mentor group and think it is a wonderful thing provided by BT! Thanks for the time you will be putting in to mentor a group..I'm 39 y/o Athena athlete. I started running in 2010 as a new years resolution to complete a 5k. I didn't run again until 2011 when I started having elevated blood pressure and turned to exercise and diet rather than medicine. 2011 my farthest distance was a local 15k which I won a weight class award! Ha! I kept running and in 2012 I completed 4 Half marathons. My short term goal now is to complete a sprint. Then a oly then a HIM. Overall I just want to keep MOVING!Never had swim lessons until this past summer and still working on technique and endurance. What an eye opener! I'm also a slow runner. Now that I think about it, I'm slow at all three sports! This is going to be FUN!

2012-12-31 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

Suz and Steph,

If you still have room, I would like to join the group. 

Name:   John

Story:  I am a runner who really wants to be a triathlete.  Unfortunately, I am not a swimmer.  My main goal for a Tri is just to make it out of the water alive.  I would like to join a group so that I am held accountable for my workouts.  Getting into any kind of a group helps with motivation and sometimes getting to the pool when you rather be in bed.  I enjoyed what you said about being married to a marathon runner and never sleeping past 5am on Saturday.  My wife says the exact same thing.  I also would like to lose 20 lbs before the Indy Mini marathon in May.  Even though I love to run, I need to lose some weight. 

Family:  I am 45 years old (in 6 days I will be at least) and have been married for 19 years.  I have three children ages 10,8, and 4.  My family keeps me very busy so unless I get out at 5am, my workouts don't happen.  My wife is very supportive of my running addiction.  In fact, she did her first Sprint tri last year and I think she is hooked.  

Current Training:  Right now I am only running.  I live in Indiana so the weather can make things a bit difficult.  I am in my off season running mode.  I won't race again until April.  My "A" race will be the Mini Marathon in Indy though.  I need to sit down and decide what Tri's I would like to do this year.  I need to get in the pool though. 

If my bio fits the group, let me know.  I post just about every day. 

Thanks,

John

2012-12-31 10:35 AM

User image

New user

Fort Lauderdale

Suz & Steph,

Happy New Year! Do you have room for one more? I'd like to join the team and get going on my training. I'm new to the tri scene but have been a runner for the last 5 years with a few half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks under my belt. Been biking consistently for the last 4 months or so after I got my road bike and can do a 40 mile ride at 16-17mph. So need to work on my speed there. As for swimming, I used to be a swimmer a long-time ago and am just now getting back to it. Its been a little depressing at how much speed I have lost in the last 20 years but I'm looking to improve over the next few months.

I'm 37 years old, 5'5" and about 112 lbs, so where I question myself sometimes is in the strength required to be a successful triathlete. My upper body strength is poor so I hope to improve upon that this year with the swimming and yoga. I wake up at 5am to get my workouts in as work can get pretty grueling for me. At present I am running 4 or 5 days a week between 4 and 6 miles just to stay in shape and maybe a day or two of biking 20 miles each. I'm a cold weather wimp (despite living in South Florida) and don't get on the bike when the temps drop below 65 degrees.

In 2013, I have a couple of 5Ks and 10ks, a half marathon in October and an Olympic Tri on June 1 in West Palm Beach. I live in Fort Lauderdale and the best part is that my hubby is my training buddy and we will be doing all these races together.

Family: My husband, myself and 2 dogs :-)

Appreciate what you are doing for us newbies and look forward to learning a lot from this group...  

Edited by soundslikeRT 2012-12-31 11:36 AM
2012-12-31 1:01 PM

El Paso

Hello,

My name is Alfredo. will be 38 years old on Jan 2nd, from El Paso Tx.

STORY: 2 years ago I trained for my first oly tri and it was awesome, my time sucked and I almost drowned, but I fell in love with the sport lifestyle and all involve with it, I was trying to get my wife to join this year so that we could run, bike and swim at the same time for support etc etc. She was already running but had to stop unfortunately she was in a car accident (nothing serious) and currently under therapy. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lily, 3 kids, Regina 12, Sofia 14, Viviana 23, one grandchild Ariely 3.

CURRENT TRAINNING: At this point im pretty much trying not to loose more condition and just survive.

I want to complete at least one half IM distance race, be more discipline and work on my form. I hope to build a more structure workout and learn about techniques and heart rate monitoring.

Hope you guys still have place for one more

2012-12-31 1:24 PM

Hi and Happy New Year!

I would love to join your group. I am 60 years old and started triathlon last year with my 15 year old grandson. I started running 5 years ago and just learned to bike and swim. So far I have only done sprints.

I signed up for Desert Tri International distace in early March. I somehow qualified for the Age Group Nationals in August. I have so much to learn, and would love your help.

Connie Visconte

[email protected]

2012-12-31 2:34 PM

Hi everyone!  Hope you have room for one more in your group. Here is some info about me:

NAME: Kelly 

STORY: As a 43, soon to be 44, year old, I am a re-newbie in this sport.  I completed four Sprint Tris in 2011, but because of a myriad of injuries suffered in 2012, I was on the DL for the majority of the year and wasn't able to complete any races I had registered for.  It was a tough year, but I keep telling everyone that 2013 is my year.  I'm so looking forward to getting back in the game.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15 years to a much faster runner, who walks as fast as I jog Embarassed 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm starting out really slow since my biggest fear is re-injuring myself. Despite living in NY and dealing with winter weather, I'm walking/jogging (always outside-I hate the treadmill), and have recently joined a gym so I will be getting back in the pool this week.  Also, once the holiday decorations are gone, the trainer comes back in the house!    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Given the amount of money I lost last year, I'm being very selective about what races I will register for this coming year.  Right now I have three:

2013 RACES: 

April 21st, Pool Triathlon (Sprint

July 21st, New Jersey Olympic Triathlon (my first Oly!!!)

August 4th, Smith Point (LI, NY) Sprint (my favorite race in 2011)

Depending on how my health is and how things go, I would like to add one or two additional races.  I also plan on slogging through probably 25-30 5K and 10K races in 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please. Smile  In 2010 I lost 80 lbs, but between 2011 and 2012, I gained 35 lbs. due to injury and (let's face it) being bummed out about being injured.  I have to lose at least 50 lbs. and get back to my fighting weight.

Thanks for letting me share my story and I look forward to getting to know all of you and working together to meet our goals for 2013.  Happy New Year!!

2012-12-31 2:35 PM

New user

Orlando

Hello all... Suz and Steph I would love to be a member of your group!

I am 38 and just getting started in Triathlon.  I signed up for my first race- May 2013.  I was a swimmer as a kid and did a lot of weight training in high school and college.  Once I got into the "real" world (aka working world) I started doing more running.  Last year I completed two half marathons, but after some injury issues I was looking for something different.  I decided with my background in swimming and my love of running, that Triathlon might be a great new challenge.

Currently I am starting to build up my cycling legs and getting back into the pool.

I am looking forward to any advice and help along the way and hope to be a helpful addition to your team.

Thanks,

-Alex

2012-12-31 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Welcome to everyone!

Once we close the group we will post instructions on how to add everyone to your friends and how to give each other "inspires".

If you aren't already logging your workouts....now's the time the start!  We will be checkingLaughing

Kacie:  Glad to hear you chose diet and exercise to control high blood pressure.  While I can't completely get off all meds, I know that my lifestyle has enabled me to take fewer medications and to have fewer symptoms.

John: I'm registered for the Indie Mini too! I heard it's a great race. I've never been to the Indy Raceway so I'm looking forward to getting to run the track. (That race also gives great bling)

SoundslikeRT:  We need your first name Smile - I'm small as well, and I strength train and do yoga.  Doing yoga will definitely help your overall strength.  Right now you are running 4 -5 days.  Since that is strong for you, you could cut back to 3 days a week to add to your cross training, and it will not effect your running base. I have run several marathons on only 3 days a week run training, providing I am cross training on the other days.  For swimming, speed and efficiency is not so much upperbody strength as it is good technique. Strengthening your core will give you the most benefit for all three sports.

Alfredo:  There are many good articles on BT about heart rate monitoring.  Check them out.  Also, check out the plans. You can import it right into your training log. Having a plan adds the structure and consistency you mentioned wanting to have.

Connie:  60 years young!  You go girl!  Your grandson should be mighty proud to be training with his Grandma.

Kelly: Congrats on the weight loss in the past.  You did it before, you can do it again.  Having a consistent training plan will keep you burning the calories. Adding strength training will also help.  Adding muscle aids in burning more calories at rest.   I am a supporter of a modified Paleo diet.  Do a little research on that and see if you think it's something you'd like to try, then we can discuss the modifications I have made and how to ease yourself into a different eating pattern.  Too many diets fail because the change is too radical right off the bat for someone to sustain.  

Alex:  I can tell you all about injury from too much running!  The cross training of triathlon will help achieve some balance.  Look over the plans on BT to get you to your first tri in May.

Well, I have to go. Having friends over for New Year's so I have some cooking to do.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!  Looking forward to a great Mentor Group!

Susie

2012-12-31 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4554562

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Porsche_rn - 2012-12-31 1:32 AM

Hi all!I'm excited to be joining a mentor group and think it is a wonderful thing provided by BT! Thanks for the time you will be putting in to mentor a group..I'm 39 y/o Athena athlete. I started running in 2010 as a new years resolution to complete a 5k. I didn't run again until 2011 when I started having elevated blood pressure and turned to exercise and diet rather than medicine. 2011 my farthest distance was a local 15k which I won a weight class award! Ha! I kept running and in 2012 I completed 4 Half marathons. My short term goal now is to complete a sprint. Then a oly then a HIM. Overall I just want to keep MOVING!Never had swim lessons until this past summer and still working on technique and endurance. What an eye opener! I'm also a slow runner. Now that I think about it, I'm slow at all three sports! This is going to be FUN!

Welcome Kaci!

Sounds like you are making good steady progress! The swimming is often an 'eye opener' for people! With good technique you can get out of the water with plenty of energy for the rest of the race! Lot's of great swimming advice on here, of course, but feel free to ask questions.

I too am a slow runner. 12:30 to 13:00mm, sometimes slower! The point is to enjoy it, and get to the finish line! Love your enthusiasm! FUN!
2012-12-31 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4554597

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jslacker - 2012-12-31 6:10 AM

Suz and Steph,

If you still have room, I would like to join the group. 

Name:   John

Story:  I am a runner who really wants to be a triathlete.  Unfortunately, I am not a swimmer.  My main goal for a Tri is just to make it out of the water alive.  I would like to join a group so that I am held accountable for my workouts.  Getting into any kind of a group helps with motivation and sometimes getting to the pool when you rather be in bed.  I enjoyed what you said about being married to a marathon runner and never sleeping past 5am on Saturday.  My wife says the exact same thing.  I also would like to lose 20 lbs before the Indy Mini marathon in May.  Even though I love to run, I need to lose some weight. 

Family:  I am 45 years old (in 6 days I will be at least) and have been married for 19 years.  I have three children ages 10,8, and 4.  My family keeps me very busy so unless I get out at 5am, my workouts don't happen.  My wife is very supportive of my running addiction.  In fact, she did her first Sprint tri last year and I think she is hooked.  

Current Training:  Right now I am only running.  I live in Indiana so the weather can make things a bit difficult.  I am in my off season running mode.  I won't race again until April.  My "A" race will be the Mini Marathon in Indy though.  I need to sit down and decide what Tri's I would like to do this year.  I need to get in the pool though. 

If my bio fits the group, let me know.  I post just about every day. 

Thanks,

John

Another swim challenged person.. you'll be fine! Also, do you ever do a spin class? Spinning is great for getting you bike ready during the winter. Also strength training during this base period... very important.

I'm 48 but I don't have any little kids in the house! You need your energy... my husband is also very supportive. It makes a HUGE difference. Remember to tell her!
2012-12-31 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4554979

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
soundslikeRT - 2012-12-31 11:35 AM

Suz & Steph,

Happy New Year! Do you have room for one more? I'd like to join the team and get going on my training. I'm new to the tri scene but have been a runner for the last 5 years with a few half marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks under my belt. Been biking consistently for the last 4 months or so after I got my road bike and can do a 40 mile ride at 16-17mph. So need to work on my speed there. As for swimming, I used to be a swimmer a long-time ago and am just now getting back to it. Its been a little depressing at how much speed I have lost in the last 20 years but I'm looking to improve over the next few months.

I'm 37 years old, 5'5" and about 112 lbs, so where I question myself sometimes is in the strength required to be a successful triathlete. My upper body strength is poor so I hope to improve upon that this year with the swimming and yoga. I wake up at 5am to get my workouts in as work can get pretty grueling for me. At present I am running 4 or 5 days a week between 4 and 6 miles just to stay in shape and maybe a day or two of biking 20 miles each. I'm a cold weather wimp (despite living in South Florida) and don't get on the bike when the temps drop below 65 degrees.

In 2013, I have a couple of 5Ks and 10ks, a half marathon in October and an Olympic Tri on June 1 in West Palm Beach. I live in Fort Lauderdale and the best part is that my hubby is my training buddy and we will be doing all these races together.

Family: My husband, myself and 2 dogs :-)

Appreciate what you are doing for us newbies and look forward to learning a lot from this group...  

RT... is that you? I'm in Miami and used to live in Fort Lauderdale. Have you heard of the South Broward Wheelers? They are a very nice cycling club with regular rides and were nice to me when I was a beginner.

Eat enough protein and build your strength. The flexibility you'll need in your shoulders for swimming is easier to achieve if you are strong. SO NICE that your hubby is your training partner!! I hear you on the weather too... I don't like to ride the Rickenbacker in the cold and wind AND traffic! Hopefully we can answer a lot of your questions here and you will do GREAT on your 2012 Tris!

2012-12-31 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4555283

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
alfredo1414 - 2012-12-31 2:01 PM

Hello,

My name is Alfredo. will be 38 years old on Jan 2nd, from El Paso Tx.

STORY: 2 years ago I trained for my first oly tri and it was awesome, my time sucked and I almost drowned, but I fell in love with the sport lifestyle and all involve with it, I was trying to get my wife to join this year so that we could run, bike and swim at the same time for support etc etc. She was already running but had to stop unfortunately she was in a car accident (nothing serious) and currently under therapy. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Lily, 3 kids, Regina 12, Sofia 14, Viviana 23, one grandchild Ariely 3.

CURRENT TRAINNING: At this point im pretty much trying not to loose more condition and just survive.

I want to complete at least one half IM distance race, be more discipline and work on my form. I hope to build a more structure workout and learn about techniques and heart rate monitoring.

Hope you guys still have place for one more

Welcome Alfredo! You are a busy guy! Hope your wife is well enough to join you again soon. Happy Birthday in 2 days! I love it when people say they almost drowned but they LOVED IT! That's a sure sign you will do well in Triathlon!

Discipline, consistency, good form... if we all did just that, we'd improve immensely!
2012-12-31 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4555333

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ConnieVisc - 2012-12-31 2:24 PM

Hi and Happy New Year!

I would love to join your group. I am 60 years old and started triathlon last year with my 15 year old grandson. I started running 5 years ago and just learned to bike and swim. So far I have only done sprints.

I signed up for Desert Tri International distace in early March. I somehow qualified for the Age Group Nationals in August. I have so much to learn, and would love your help.

Connie Visconte

[email protected]

Hey Connie! Triathlon with the grandson, that is so cool! And Nationals!! You are clearly no slouch. Happy to help answer any questions you may have. What are your biggest concerns at this point?

A training plan here on BT might be a good idea. You can log your workouts and keep track of a lot of things that might be useful.

Welcome!
2012-12-31 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4555559

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
suzimmer - 2012-12-31 4:59 PM

John: I'm registered for the Indie Mini too! I heard it's a great race. I've never been to the Indy Raceway so I'm looking forward to getting to run the track. (That race also gives great bling)

Susie,

The Indy Mini is one of my favorite races.  It's not pretty but it's flat and fast.  You run through some pretty ugly parts of Indy but running around the track with 30,000 other runners is pretty intense.  They hand out extra bling if you finish in the top 500.   There are plenty of bands along the route, a ton of water stops, and last year there was a bar that had beer in dixie cups for anyone wanting something different. 

2012-12-31 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4555445

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Turtle who Tris - 2012-12-31 3:34 PM

Hi everyone!  Hope you have room for one more in your group. Here is some info about me:

NAME: Kelly 

STORY: As a 43, soon to be 44, year old, I am a re-newbie in this sport.  I completed four Sprint Tris in 2011, but because of a myriad of injuries suffered in 2012, I was on the DL for the majority of the year and wasn't able to complete any races I had registered for.  It was a tough year, but I keep telling everyone that 2013 is my year.  I'm so looking forward to getting back in the game.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15 years to a much faster runner, who walks as fast as I jog Embarassed 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm starting out really slow since my biggest fear is re-injuring myself. Despite living in NY and dealing with winter weather, I'm walking/jogging (always outside-I hate the treadmill), and have recently joined a gym so I will be getting back in the pool this week.  Also, once the holiday decorations are gone, the trainer comes back in the house!    

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Given the amount of money I lost last year, I'm being very selective about what races I will register for this coming year.  Right now I have three:

2013 RACES: 

April 21st, Pool Triathlon (Sprint

July 21st, New Jersey Olympic Triathlon (my first Oly!!!)

August 4th, Smith Point (LI, NY) Sprint (my favorite race in 2011)

Depending on how my health is and how things go, I would like to add one or two additional races.  I also plan on slogging through probably 25-30 5K and 10K races in 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please. Smile  In 2010 I lost 80 lbs, but between 2011 and 2012, I gained 35 lbs. due to injury and (let's face it) being bummed out about being injured.  I have to lose at least 50 lbs. and get back to my fighting weight.

Thanks for letting me share my story and I look forward to getting to know all of you and working together to meet our goals for 2013.  Happy New Year!!

Good grief, your story sounds a LOT like mine.

Don't think about the money you spent. Much of it goes to good causes. But yes, I hear you... I had a number of DNSs.

I still have foot issues, and losing 30lbs will certainly be easier on my feet. Let's do this together!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16